Start by marking “The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts

The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts

An artfully playful collection of unexpected and remarkable facts about animals, illustrated by Swedish artist Maja Säfström.

Did you know that an octopus has three hearts? Or that ostriches can't walk backward? These and many more fascinating and surprising facts about the animal kingdom (Bees never sleep! Starfish don't have brains!) are illustrated with whimsical detail
Published March 29th 2016 by Ten Speed Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts

Kelli
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a children's hardcover gift book that happens to be packed with cute pictures and very interesting facts, most of which were news to me. My son is particularly interested in the many funky names for the different animal groups, such as a conspiracy of ravens or an army of frogs. This book could make you a hit at trivia night or on Jeopardy. Did you know beavers teeth are orange? Did you know flies are deaf? Did you know ants bow to greet each other?
Did you know my puppy is the cutest pu
Edward Lorn
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Rich people who love animals and expensive picture books
I only found this book because the review-request site I use for physical books didn't have anything else of interest. But don't get me wrong, I didn't settle on this book. In fact, it's something I would've read if I ever came across it on someone's coffee table, or in that little satchel of books some people have hanging from their toilets' water tanks. Have you ever been to someone's house and they had a saddle bag hanging off their commode, and you look inside and find everything from TIME L ...more
Sandra
A delightful and unique book that charms you all the way over with the adorable drawings and interesting trivia.

Did you know that owls cannot move their eyes?

Or that the Chinese leather turtle pees through its mouth?

Well, I didn't!

The illustrations are fun, drawn with a light touch, simple but excellently detailed. A great combination of art and biology and would be a great addition in a child's learning period. To anyone's reading curriculum actually!

Review copy supplied by publisher through Ne
Mom
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute little book of interesting facts about animals that I never knew!
Marie the Librarian
This book is so stunning. The facts are interesting and the art is just sooo cute and cool! Love it.
Jessica
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is nice, but not at all what I expected. I thought the illustrations would be brightly colored, and there would be more to read, but all in all this is great. This is one of those books that you sit n you coffee table (or toilet) because it is such a simple, but interesting book that will keep someone entertained, but not engrossed.

The illustrations are back and white, they remind me of a coloring book. There is not dust jacket. The reason I point that out is because I like that feature b
Denisa T.
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely cute and interesting reading :)!
Kim
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle, net-galley
This is a lovely little book for an animal lover. Drawn pictures accompany fascinating animal facts. It's the sort of book you can dip into and amaze your friends with facts you never knew before. My daughter is animal mad and she has found some interesting things to tell everyone. Starfish have no brains and pandas have pink skin under their white fur and black skin under their black fur.
Many thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for this amazing little book to review.
Vio
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, comics, english
Maja nailed it! We got the English version in Stockholm and I am now looking forward to buying the German one.
I really hope this one gets to be translated into Romanian as well!
I want to give everyone a copy of this book. ;)
Lea
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
This book is awesome for two things. 1. The illustrations are great! 2. The few facts about each animal are so interesting. Every page I wanted to read the facts out loud to share with everyone! I definitely recommend this to anyone, any age, who has an interested or love in animals.
Kateřina Stupková
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Áááá <3
Jessica
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
If you’ve been following along for a while, you know how much I love animal facts, illustrations, and reading nonfiction. The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts caught my eye the moment I saw it online. Maja Säfström is a Stockholm based architect and illustrator, and her style consists of fun, simple black and white drawings. Her new book is 120 pages of black and white illustrations accompanied by some facts, about 2-3 facts per animal. If you read as many animal facts as I do, you ...more
Maureen Timerman
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
What a delightful book for both adults and children, you never know when you might need the information, that most of us really never heard of before.
Did you ever eat your food after you chased a fly off it? Well then you need to know that they vomit on your, their, food before they eat it. Yuck!
You will be a hit with your friends when you share your knowledge of these facts of the animal world, and my kids couldn’t get enough, along with some chuckles and a few gross sayings.
Never liked gettin
Diane Estrella
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The author of this book is not only talented at writing but maybe, even more gifted at illustrating. The two combined make for the most enjoyable of children's books. Although I have to say, as an adult, I enjoyed it very much too...

I love that this is a hard cover book and is the perfect size for little hands to hold. A gorgeous gift-book that is perfect for birthdays or any holiday. I can see my niece and nephew looking at this over and over again. The descriptions are short and fun and the il
Amanda Tero
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got this in and read it in about ten minutes. It is a very whimsical, simple book with facts placed creatively on the pages. It was so much fun to learn several animal group names that just made sense (like a group of cockroaches called an intrusion). I personally don't care to know all of the information about animals and their digestion...but that was about the only negative I found. I was pleasantly surprised to find no evolution in this book!

*I received this book from Blogging for Books in
Bill
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an exuberantly illustrated book for kids of all ages loaded with very cool facts about your favorite – and not so favorite – animals, insects, fish, and other critters.

You’ll be heading back between the covers for Maja Säfström’s boisterous art as well as her collection of off beat creature facts – everything from your not so friendly mosquito to your friendlier whale.

This book is guaranteed to lift your spirits and help you see the amazing diversity of life …and art! It’s what you need
Cristina
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i don't think i've ever reviewed a 'gift book' here before but i just loooove this! really adorable illustrations and super interesting factoids about--you guessed it--ANIMALS! who would not want this???

it's also really helped me, given me this new sense of purpose when people around me use phrases like "tell me something i don't know"--my soul lights up, my heart races--and i get to answer with something along the lines of "BEES DON'T SLEEP"

& everyone rejoices.

no, but really, it brings su
Scottsdale Public Library
This is my new favorite book. The illustrations are simple, yet beautiful. Maja Safstrom has chosen her favorites of the animal kingdom and given us amazing and fun facts. Did you know a pair of otters will hold hands as they sleep to not drift off? Did you know a group of flies is called a business? I read this to my six year old and he absolutely loved it!! – Lisanne E.
Femke
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was the incredibly cute illustrations that really make this book an eye catcher. The cute little animal facts in the book are also very cool. I thought I knew a lot about animals but most of these facts were unknown to me until now! I recommend this book to everyone who is fond of illustration and animals :)
Lauren (Shooting Stars Mag) Becker
Fun black and white illustrations to go along with some really cool animal facts! Minus the tarantula (ahh spiders!) page, I loved everything about this book. I just wish it was a bit longer with more facts! I love random facts.
Iris Nevers
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book, nice illustrations, and awesome animal facts. But definitely not worth $15
SJ Loria
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book to a 4-year-old for her birthday, but every adult (including 84-year-old abeulita), flipped through it and said wow. I'm telling you, books and babies will be the end of me. The only item I impulse buy are books. The category of people I usually buy them for are babies / kids, myself, then grownups. There are worse problems to have.

One thing you will quickly notice kids' books is this - they usually suck. The common problems are: first, they usually have no lasting value (be it
Sarai
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. On page 8, it says that owls can rotate their heads 230 degrees. The Monday before I read this, we had a visit from the Soarin' Hawk Raptor Rehabilitation group, and they said owls can rotate their heads 270 degrees. Tuesday before I read this book, I read an article about owls in a Birds and Blooms magazine, and they said owls can rotate their heads 270 degrees. Live Science, National Geographic, MentalFloss, and Audubon websites all say 270 degrees.

Needless to say,
Amy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
Spoiler alert, coolest facts:
-group names: kangaroos (mobs), ravens (conspiracy), flies (business), owls (parliament), frogs (army), mice (mischief), seals (harem), flamingos (flamboyance), rhinos (crash), cockroaches (intrusion)
-sea otters hold hands when they sleep
-penguins laugh when tickled
-swifts an fly nonstop for over six months
-a tarantula can survive more than 2 years without food & they have retractable claws
-tapirs use their noses as snorkels
-bees need to visit more than 4 millio
Elizabeth A
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction, art, kids-ya
This is a delightful little book with whimsical black and white illustrations and a handful of facts about a bunch of animals. I loved the illustrations, and also learned some things along the way.

Did you know that a group of cockroaches is called an intrusion? Or that the Chinese leather turtle pees through its mouth? Me neither.

Highly recommended for kids of all ages, especially animal lovers, and as an added bonus, this would also double as a fun coloring book. Simply delightful.
Nicholina
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loves this sweet and interesting little book. I was sitting on the couch reading it next to my husband and I kept wanting to share interesting facts with him. Some things I knew already, but many I did not. the illustrations and simple and sweet. It's a very fast read, suitable for all ages.
Tilly
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars
I loved this book! It's so cute and filled with adorable drawings and funfacts about a variety of animals. I was smiling from start to finish 😁
It is more simple than I was expecting but I didn't know it was for children!
Anna
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! I loved it so much! The illustrations are so awesome and the facts are incredible and so interesting. I learned a lot of new facts!
Becca
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has some of the cutest illustrations I've seen in a while. I wish there were more animal facts, but the book was so damn charming I didn't even mind.
Zooey Glass
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and funny
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 5: Fantastic Three
  • Wild Babies: Photographs of Animals in Their First Weeks of Life
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • Bees: A Honeyed History
  • Awesome Autumn
  • A Buzz in the Meadow: The Natural History of a French Farm
  • Octopus Alone
  • Comics for a Strange World: A Book of Poorly Drawn Lines
  • The Darker the Night, the Brighter the Stars: A Neuropsychologist's Odyssey Through Consciousness
  • Alien Next Door
  • Putting the Science in Fiction: Expert Advice for Writing with Authenticity in Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Other Genres
  • Nils Karlsson-Pyssling
  • Dragon Puncher
  • Fully Alive: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change