Start by marking “Dreaming of Antigone” as Want to Read:
Dreaming of Antigone

Dreaming of Antigone

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  301 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Every star has its own path…

“I can’t ever be the blazing star that Iris was. I’m still just a cold, dark satellite orbiting a star that went super nova.”

Andria’s twin sister, Iris, had adoring friends, a cool boyfriend, a wicked car, and a shelf full of soccer trophies. She had everything, in fact—including a drug problem. Six months after Iris’s death, Andria is tryi
Published March 29th 2016 by Kensington

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.)

“The last time I saw Alex Hammond, he was strung out of heroin, just as high as my sister. That was the night Iris died.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl whose twin sister had died following a heroin overdose.

I thought that Andria was actually doing pretty well considering that her twin sister had died only 6 months previously. She seemed to be coping qui
Karina
description

*Thank you very much Miss Robin Bridges for providing me a copy in exchange of an honest book review.

Actual Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

“And the heavens will shine down and we’ll kiss like a happy couple at the end of a Shakespearean comedy.

But I know it won’t happen. This is Greek tragedy. And I’m just as broken as he is.”

Dreaming of Antigone talks about the sensitive issue of illness, sexual abuse, drugs, and depression.

Andria’s twin sister Iris, died because of drugs overdoes. Now that her
Tez
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-swap, arc
CONTENT WARNING: Drug overdose, suicide, paedophilia/child abuse.

Can an Ancient Greek tragedy be translated into contemporary YA romance? Unfamiliar with the story of Antigone, I can't confirm how much Robin Bridges' Dreaming of Antigone sticks to the template, but Andria Webb's English class studies Sophocles' play. This inclusion affected my enjoyment, because I dislike when characters read/study texts that inspired their story. (Seems too obvious; banging readers over the head.)

The poetry als
Inge
I requested Nowhere Girl and Dreaming of Antigone around the same time on NetGalley, noticing they had something in common. Both stories revolve around a pair of twin sisters, one dead and one alive, and the story is told through the eyes of the remaining twin as we see how they cope with this devastating and crippling loss. However, whereas Nowhere Girl made me feel a whopping total of nothing, it is Dreaming of Antigone that shines in comparison.

Andria is a brilliant main character. She’s not
Monique
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book for free through NetGalley

Look at that cover - I mean, come on!

All my feels here

I didn't have any expectations when I went into this book and I think it might be why I enjoyed it so much.

Dreaming of Antigone is full of all the things that make a YA contemporary great: love, loss, family drama and friendships. What I really enjoyed about this book is that every character served a purpose. I usually find that the supporting characters in some YA novels are actually j
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I am the type of reader who doesn't typically reach for contemporary books with hard hitting issues. When I read a contemporary, I usually want it to be cute with sunshine and rainbows. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and read this book. I am glad I decided to do that, because I think it is important to try new things. However, I do have some mixed feelings towards this book.

I will say this book had some really sad moments. Some of my friends have gone through issues that were addresse
Kristy Mauna
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dreaming of Antigone was a beautiful story that was able to be a fun, light read while digging deeper to bring out those strong emotions from within.

Andria, our main character, is dealing with the aftermath of her twin sister's death that happened six months ago. Andria immediately pulled me in through her kind and even a bit sarcastic personality. Although she is easy to love she still has her flaws, and isn't dealing with her sister, Iris's death as well as her family and friends seem to be.

Al
Beneath The Covers Blog
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonal, 2016-reads
Andria blames Alex Hammond for everything that went wrong six months ago. All those months ago, her twin sister Iris died of a drug overdose and she believes Alex was the one who introduced her to drugs. Now, Andria is trying very hard to keep everything around her from falling apart. She is struggling with her grades all the while trying to keep her friends and family from tearing apart.

She feels guilty that she - a freak with a frightening illness - is alive whereas her Iris is not. She keeps
Jana
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5*

I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was okay, really, but nothing more, to be perfectly honest. It didn't stand out to me in any way, it didn't have any emotional impact on me, the romance weirded me out more than I thought it was good. I actually am not sure if it is a healthy romance at all. I wasn't a big fan of this book.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Not as amazing as that beautiful cover! Full review: http://heartfullofbooks.com/2016/03/1...
Katie
Dreaming of Antigone is the story of Andria, the girl who dresses all in black; the girl who has a scary illness; the girl whose outgoing, beautiful, popular twin sister, Iris, overdosed on heroin. Struggling to deal with her loss and confusion, Andria distracts herself by spending time with her friends, counting down the days until she can get her driving license, gazing through her telescope at the constellations above, and writing poetry on her desk in algebra - a class she’s barely passing.

O
Kelli Spear
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK.

Dreaming of Antigone focuses on so many issues - drug addiction, illness, sexual assault and abuse - that it honestly shouldn't have worked.

But it did.

It should have been a cluttered mess of stereotypical problems and causes.

But it wasn't.

Robin Bridges created a realistic look at troubled teens, the whys, and how to cope. I was blown away by how much it made me feel. This isn't an easy story to read. At times, I'm positive people will feel uncomfortable with aspects of Andr
diana
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

This book was different than I expected. The poetry aspect I think was done pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of poetry but after reading this book I've found a new fondness for it.
What bothered me most about this book though and the reason I gave it an average rating was I found a lot of things quite bothersome. First was the romance. Yes people die everyday. People move on eventually. But Andria being in a relationship with Alex just didn't quite sit well with me. I would
Kris
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sent-for-review
(Thanks to Kensington and NetGalley, I received an ebook copy of this book for free to review.)

I need to start by saying the writing style of this book is truly stunning. The way the words flowed had me begging for more. It has been a while since I was absolutely in love with an author’s writing style, but now I found one.
This book deals with a lot of tough subjects, addiction, epilepsy, sexual abuse, death, grief, suicide and many more. Looking at all these topics written out makes me person
Claire
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes good books obvs
Shelves: 2016, ng-com, ng-read, 5-stars
*I received a digital copy of this book for an honest review*
*Thanks to NetGalley & Kensington Books*

Dreaming of Antigone is a story about a girl named Andria, who is dealing with her twin-sister's death. Andria is one of those main characters who just manages to pull you in with the first page. She is sarcastic, she is funny, she is sad and lonely, and you can't help but feel connected to her. All of the characters are dealing with things some way or another, but Bridges manages to not le
Abbie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Andria was an okay character, but I couldn't warm to her enough to really like her.

This was an okay read, but it struggled to keep my interest at points, so there were times where it dragged slightly.

Overall, An okay read.
Irene
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ok, I can't resist to this kind of blurb and cover. Buut, what's new about Dreaming of Antigone? I'm gonna be honest: Absolutely nothing. It's more of the same story: broken girl meets problematic/broken boy and fall in love, but there's something stopping them to loving each other... More of using poetry and Greek Myth as a try to give some depth to the story.

But that's not bad. It's entretening and I didn't see coming THAT reve
Debbie Gascoyne
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle, netgalley, ya
At its heart, this is a very sweet and believable teen love story. A few things kept me from giving it a higher rating, however. First of all, for me, was the "framing" device of Antigone, which, I'm sorry, didn't work at all. Honestly, the only parallel is that there are two sisters, one of whom commits suicide. There's no particular thematic connection - the ethical concerns that drive Antigone the play are absent here, the conflict between religious beliefs and the laws of the state is not re ...more
Terri
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher Kensington via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The expected publication date is March 29th, 2016.

This is a story about grief and what happens to those left behind after someone is taken away suddenly. It deals with the inability to let go and move on, the void that is left and survivors guilt.

While I will say that this story is not entirely original in its concep
Lily
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley and Kensington Books for the free copy of this book I received!

I really wanted to like this book. And the thing is, I think what the author was trying to do could have worked if she had spent more time developing the characters, but this felt heavy-handed and not nuanced enough. However, I find star-gazing, poetry-reciting teenagers to be pretentious, so I may not be the best one to consult for an opinion.

I felt like the characters and the situations they were in were real
Janine
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a tragic but beautifully written story.
I couldn't put it down.
I finished it in one evening.
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an ARC of this lovely book.
I absolutely loved it.
The ending was very moving.
Natalie Martinez
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can not get over her wanting to even touch someone who helped in what occurred to her sister.
Faith
Disclaimer: received an ARC copy from Netgalley.

Some mild spoilers.
Rating: 1.5 stars.

I just wasn't super impressed with this book. I was looking for a thought-provoking contemporary with interesting characters, but all I got was a standard contemporary with the awful, cringe worthy cliches. The book's worst offenses were: a trying-too-hard-to-be-unique MC and a romance that kinda grossed me out. The only thing that I liked about this book was the poetry element and the mythology of Antigone.
Kelly Gunderman
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I was first drawn in by Dreaming of Antigone's beautiful, star-filled cover that seemed to promise a swoon-worthy romance that would be unforgettable and would make me weak in the knees.

While it was a good, contemporary read (that had some romance to it), it was much more than that. It was a dark read - painful in some places, filled with drugs and sexual abuse - things that can be really difficult to write abo
Amanda
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary young adult, fans of Deb Caletti
First reviewed on [a cup of tea and an armful of books]. Check it out for more young adult literature reviews and book photos!

I want to tell everyone I meet about this book. It’s taken me several days to work up to writing a review purely because I was afraid that if I wrote it immediately it would only end up being solely composed of “ILOVETHISBOOKSOMUCH” and “YouHAVEtoreaditNOW”s. There will still be a fair amount of that, so this is your warning.

This is the first book in the contemporary you
Olivia Chanel's Galaxy of Books
Thank you so much Netgalley and Kensington Books for my e-arc!

Be aware that this story deals with topics such as suicide, abuse and addiction.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Dreaming of Antigone is a tragic story about a family surrounded by loss, heartbreak and secrets with Andria and her twin sister Iris at the center of it all. Iris died of a drug overdose six months ago, something Andria, her family and their friends are still struggling with. Andria is now trying to continue her life through her grief, in
Dani St-Onge (Literary Lion)

"I am a terrible person. He was my twin sister's boyfriend."

Andria is still reeling from the loss of her twin sister, Iris, to a heroin overdose. She’s failing classes, her friends are distancing and she has to avoid having a seizure in the next few days if she wants a driver’s licence. Now, on top of everything, she’s starting to fall for the wrong guy.

Dreaming of Antigone had every opportunity to be exciting, but the best word for this book is bland. It’s a stor
Ema
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This dealt with much deeper issues than the description implied but seemed to center around a romance.

Despite dealing with some pretty serious topics, this book maintained a light feel throughout. I felt it could have delved deeper into some of the topics presented, and I felt that the ultimate cause of Iris's death was very heavily glossed over.

Nonetheless, seeing the relationship between Andria and her mother as they both dealt with challenges was interesting to watch. I felt they could have
Romance Readers Retreat
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not usually a big fan of Young Adult but I am so glad I got the chance to read this! This isn't your typical YA book. This was different than anything else I've read in this genre. Robin Bridges writes about real life dark problems, such as, suicide, drug use, and overdose, as well as, epilepsy. I think she does a darn good job conveying these problems and making you fall in love with the characters and their struggles. This was a heart-wrenchingly emotional read that will suck you in from ...more
Sandra
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley, thank you!
There are few books that cause me to squeal or say "that was adorable as heck" and I think this book qualifies as one. Meet Andria and Alex, two people who, for all intents and purposes, should not be together or get together or in the same room together. However, through their mutual love of poetry and their shared grief over Iris, they find themselves inexplicably in love despite Andria's mind telling her 'no.'
I absolutely loved the chara
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Healing Maddie Brees
  • Race Girl (The Go Girls Chronicles, #3)
  • Song of the Blackbird
  • The Space Between
  • Tainted by Crazy
  • Of Pens and Swords
  • When Love Comes to Town
  • The Blood of the Hydra (Elementals, #2)
  • You Before Anyone Else
  • Cruel Fate
  • Frayed
  • Leaving Blythe River
  • Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru (Creative HeArts, #1; Sloane and Tru #1)
By day, Robin Bridges is a mild mannered writer of young adult fiction. By night, she is a pediatric nurse, poking small children with needles for a living. She lives on the Gulf Coast with her family and an ever-growing menagerie of cats, dogs, tropical fish, and parrots. But alas, she still does not have a unicorn.
More about Robin Bridges

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)