Start by marking “Parineeta” as Want to Read:
Parineeta

Parineeta

A timeless love story from the master storyteller of Bengal

Set in early twentieth century Kolkata, Parineeta (Espoused) is the unforgettable story of a child-woman’s intense and bittersweet romance. Lalita, an orphaned girl who lives with her uncle, considers herself betrothed to Shekhar, her benefactor and guardian. After several failed attempts, Lalita finally gets the e
Published June 25th 2005 by Penguin Books India (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Parineeta, please sign up.

Start your review of Parineeta
Neha
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Parineeta.. the book is so diffrent form the mega movie.. actually tahts true for Devdas too. The way bollywood has presenteed Devdas & Parineeta is like 'Mughleazam' whereas the characters and events are those amongst the common people.

Lolita is actually a 13 year old girl & shekhar & Girin are 24 year old men. Lolita calls Shekhar Da but she has been always loved & protected by him that eventually they both fall in love. Shekhar though is a sort of a male egoist & a coward who does not have t
Rohit Sharma
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There comes a time in life of everyone when after one huge achievement you want to take a break and just relax :) its like once you climb a mountain, all you want to do is to do nothing and enjoy the few, simplicity is the key here. I reached that point in my life (say reader's life) that I just wanted to pick up a very simple book and enjoy it without putting much pressure neither on my heart nor on my brain. Usually this happens when I either read a horror from someone of King's caliber or har ...more
Madhulika Liddle
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two families live next door to each other. One is that of the very wealthy former gur merchant, Nabin Rai, who has two sons: Avinash, already married; and the unmarried Shekhar, a young lawyer. Next door, beyond a passage connecting the two houses (and households) lives Gurucharan, a poor clerk whose house has been mortgaged to Nabin Rai—Gurucharan was compelled to do so because he needed money for his daughter’s wedding, and Nabin Rai wants to take over his house, raze it, and build a mansion f ...more
Natalie
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in Asian literature or people interested in a foreign love story
One of the greatest Indian classics. It's not an intellectual read per se but it is definitely a worthwhile read if you're interested in Asian literature. A fantastic movie has also been made on this short novel.

Note: this was written a long time ago when society was different from nowadays, so that's why the Shekhar is so much older than Lolita (so don't be too alarmed and go to your nearest place of worship to wash away the sins you gained by reading this).

Also NOTE: this classic was NOT orig
Jitendra Singh
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books tells the story of Bijoya and her conflict with the situation of choosing right person for her. It is a a beautifully written story set in rural Bengal. It is a English translation from bengali and the language is simple and engrossing. Characters are great and humane. I think everyone will enjoy this classic tale by Sarat Chandra
Harinarayan Sreenivasan
Beautiful story. Short and easy novella. I wish I could read it the original Bengali edition. Book is very different from the movie.
Naveen Verma
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indian-authors, hindi
I read this story by chance today. My father brought this book a while ago and it was just simply lying on table today, so i thought let's just give it a try. And whem i started reading i couldn't stop till i finished. This book tells exactly what was/is wrong with the society for lower income and lower caste people. How poor people were simply robbed of their happiness by the rich one. Their are so many things in the book regarding the society which i cannot explain here.
Just go and read.
Priya
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Parineeta is one of my favorite Hindi movies. The movie and book differ in number of ways. The movie was definitely better than the book; I'm glad they had made such changes in the movie.
Shayantani
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Maybe its the translation which took all the flow out of the story. Or maybe my 20th century mind fails to see what is remarkable about this book. Either way, waay different than the movie.
Pragya Bhatt
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The translation I had was awful. Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy which is actually a good translation from Bengali to English.
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature, novellas
This was not a profound or wonderful book. But it was important. I think it provides a lot of insight in terms of how society worked at the time this novel was published. Sarat Chandra uses his novella as a medium to comment on various aspects of society such as child marriage and the caste system. While I don't agree with a lot that went on in this book, I can say that I am glad that I read it, just because I value the perspective it has given me.

In terms of characters, I wasn't very impressed.
Aditi Mehta
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Parineeta is my favourite Indian classics and Hindi reads. This book is my family's favourite too.🍁
It's a love story between Lalita and Shekhar spiced up with family drama, jealousy, caste discrimination, misunderstandings, betrayal, believe, patience and many more.✨💫
The chemistry between Lalita and Shekhar is very moving. I love the respect Lalita has for Shekhar. The best part in their love story is the age gap between them. Yes! This isn't a story about childhood lovers. It's a story of gro
Learener892
Feb 11, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have not read this book merely but have to say this is a gud book to read. This book revolves around a young teen girl named lalita who is orphan and leaves with his materanal uncle and her undefined and strange relationship with Shekhar who lives in neighbour house and is the son of the landlord of lalita's uncle house. Shekhar unknowingly and in a subtle manner falls in love with lalita , a love whose seed was sown since he was a teen. But then suddenly comes girindra who too resides i ...more
Amrendra
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic of love, pride and jealousy set in yesteryears Kolkata, Parineeta is the story of how pride and position impedes the path of true and obvious love. The story has a happy ending and the climactic meeting of Shekhar and Girin is indeed stirring.
Apart from this, in this book we also have 2 other short stories - Ekadashi Bairagi in which Apurv, a caste Brahmin loses heart to an outcaste widow and Bojh - a story of how after the death of his wife, Satendra becomes heartless for his 2nd and
Ashlie
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
I saw the movie first when I was a kid. I recently decided to watch it again and found the story intriguing.

I read the book also after watching movie since most of the time book are better then movies. But apparently that's not the case with this book.

As a matter of fact, movie adaptation is million times better then the book. Atleast movie had a male character with a backbone, that wasn't the case with the novel.

My recommendation is go with the movie instead.
Yogesh Gangwar
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Theme of this book is incorrigible and i even just can't describe the sanctity of The Marriage that shown in this book...All the characters Role defined in very Effluent manner in this story...And the real meaning of being Human is also Reflect from this......Honestly and Perfectly written by writer....* i definitely recommend anyone to read this book..
Atika
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The only loveable character was Girin. And the spineless coward of a hero getting a gem of a woman and putting zero effort in it screamed the fact men never really suffered for their whims in that society. However, the story was plain and bland love story. After reading Choritrohin which i loved this read was very disappointing.
Book Worm
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
stupid movie spoilt the book reading experience...lalita was a young 16 year old in the book not some full blown rhino sized 40 year old....avoid the movie and wish this cover wasn't chosen for the book...
Riddhiman
The problem with Sharat Chandra's stories are that they are mostly dated. It may have made sense once upon a time, but does not now. For instance if this book was written today, it would be classified as pedophilia(albeit unintentional)
Anusha Gupta
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
The character of Lalita is way different from how she has been portrayed in the bollywood movie of this book. To learn about the emotions and sentiments, one must pick this book up. It is very simple yet heartwarming.
Sourabh
Classic read

Author has nicely explained deeply enshrined patriarchy in Indian society. Writing style is ordinary. This story was more likely a Bollywood plot with predictable storyline.
Rafiq
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best. Best. Best.
Kanwarpal Singh
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Entangled relationship when become a threat to your personality end it and leave the shadow of that far behind..
Anish Kumar
I dont know hw others hv rated it 5 star. May b im a bubble head. Its a cold love story. The book ends telling us what parinta means. Didnt like it that much
Amlan Das
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25 star. Didn't like sekhar's character
Tori
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shekhar is a little bitch.

But some tiny Indian part of me got a total romantic thrill from this story and I am both ashamed and proud.
Bhargavi
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story
Swarup Talukdar
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Nothing to say more than that.
Attia
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was like taking a step back in time. Despite reading a translated version of the book, I still enjoyed the story, but still wish I could have enjoyed this book in the original language.
Asif Åkash
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Among the various love saga in Bengali Lit. the love story of Sekhar and Lalita I found most beautiful. Such a pleasant ending it was!

• Chokher Bali
  • Krishnakanta's Will
  • রক্তাক্ত প্রান্তর
  • লালসালু
  • দীপু নাম্বার টু
Complete works of Sarat Chandra (শরৎ রচনাবলী) is now available in this third party website:

Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay (also spelt Saratchandra) (Bengali: শরৎচন্দ্র চট্টোপাধ্যায়) was a legendary Bengali novelist from India. He was one of the most popular Bengali novelists of the early 20th century.

His childhood and youth were spent in dire poverty as his fa