Start by marking “Green Lantern, Volume 7: Renegade” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern, Volume 7: Renegade

Green Lantern, Volume 7: Renegade

(Green Lantern (2011) #7)

The seventh volume in the popular Green Lantern series by New York Times best-selling author Robert Venditti!
The Green Lantern Corps is lost and nowhere in this universe to be found. And over the past few years, the Green Lantern Corps has made a lot of enemies and been the scapegoat for a lot of bad that the Guardians of the Universe caused. Former Corps leader Hal Jordan
Hardcover, First, 208 pages
Published April 26th 2016 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern, Volume 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern, Volume 7

Anne
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Anne by: Hardcore GL Fans
My reaction to seeing a hooded Hal in a bar was all, Oooooh! Badass new look, Jordan!

description

Then he pulled the hood back and revealed his new greasy, douchebag hair.
Pass!

description

I vaguely remember Jordan took off after the Godhead storyline, but it didn't impress me enough for the reason why to stick. But evidently it doesn't matter, because something mysterious has happened in the time between the last volume and this one, and whatever it was is only hinted at in Renegade.
In other words, don't feel bad if you
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review.

Enjoyed this one.
Jesse A
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun, if a bit scattershot.
Matt
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I got whiplash from this book. Granted, it has been awhile since I read the last stuff (the New Gods/Godhead event) and I didn't really remember how Hal made out there, but this felt like a hard reboot ordered from the higher-ups:
MEMO to VENDITTI, re: GL:
Make it more Joss Whedon-y (Firefly)...Hal is Mal, duh
Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy? See it 6x NOW.
How about a sassy AI spaceship? (Think 'kiss my grits' meets HAL)
AT LEAST two sidekicks (one pure as snow and the other a merc w/ a *buri
Chris Lemmerman
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robert Venditti's Green Lantern run has kind of been all over the place. Lights Out was fantastic. Godhead was not. Uprising was awesome. Some of the filler issues between arcs, not so much. This looks like a return to form, or at least another uptick in quality.

After the events of the previous volume, Hal is now on the run from the Green Lantern Corps, operating as a renegade Green Lantern (hence the title) and is now equipped with Krona's unstable Green Lantern Gauntlet. But when he discovers
Anchorpete
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have not really been enjoying the Post- Geoff Johns Green Lantern stuff.

Sure, they have moved away from the constant warring between the lantern corps, and have played up the Space Cop aspect, but the quality of the storytelling has gone down.

Also, every single debilitating event that has struck the corps seems very forced. It seems like they are in a pattern they can't break out of, where they are trying to see how much they can reduce the numbers and the power of the Corps.

I was expecting
David
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
A good deal better than I expected it to be given who is writing this. For the most part enjoyable. Though, when Hal takes his mask off, he looks like a 12-year old girl. He never looks much like Hal Jordan. Or an adult male for the most part, when unmasked. Weird.
Michael Church
Dec 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dc-comics
It is so sad to watch a character, and a series, that you love devolve into something that is absolutely devoid of enjoyment for you. Reading this volume was an absolute chore. Robert Venditti manages to weave an intergalactic story about the death of worlds that lacks any sense of empathy or true emotion of any kind. Billy Tan’s art similarly fails to convey anything more than the basic action of a scene. The one creative piece that stood out to me as positive was Dave Sharpe’s letters.

The whol
Wing Kee
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Needs direction and better characters.

World: The art is okay, but wow the annual was fugly...why does Hal's face look like that?! The world building is basic and self contained. It feels like a departure from the larger Lanternverse and is doing it's own thing.

Story: A bit lost in it's direction and doesn't know what to do with Hal. Is he a bounty hunter? Is he a anti hero, what is he? The stories we do get here are middle at best, add to that the companions he has are just boring. A highly fo
Shannon Appelcline
So apparently Hal now has long hair like some teenage Goth and looks about 12. Oh, and he has a big green glove, a malevolent ship, and is a wanted criminal. Why? I'm really not sure. It turns out that DC again did a horrible job of mapping its collections, so the Godhead crossover that followed Vol. 5 overlaps only half of Vol. 6. So, I dunno how we got here, but fortunately Venditti's run hasn't been great enough for me to care about missing the three issues in between (38-40).

As for this volu
Paweł
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc, new-52, green-lantern
Hal Jordan jako kosmiczny tułacz-awanturnik? Zapowiadało się bardzo ciekawie, wyszło jako tako. Podoba mi się idea wagabundy z rękawicą mocy, ale w tym tomie na główny plan wychodzą konsekwencje walki z Nowymi Bogami w postaci niewygodnego dla świata Black Handa. O ile sprawdzał się jako główny zły w fenomenalnej Blackest Night, tak tutaj jest zapchajdziurą, bo autorom nie chce się wymyślać nowych przeciwników i zagrożeń dla zielonego protagonisty. Wrażenie deja vu potęguje pojawienie się parala ...more
Edward Davies
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was better than the previous volumes, but it did raise the question of when the other Green Lanterns disappeared. Did it happen in the pages of Green Lantern Corps, or Red Lanterns? I don't think it did...
Beelzefuzz
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did you never get around to watching Star Wars?
Do you hate Green Lantern as much as Robert Venditti does?
Then this is the book for you.

As a Star Wars pitch, this is pretty mundane and retreads much of what we have seen before. As a Green Lantern book, this is non-existent.
Adan
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was pretty dumb, though I am fond of Darlene. Hal's new status quo doesn't make a lot of sense, and I had really hoped they'd follow up on the New Gods stuff, but alas. Billy Tan's art is what saves this book from getting only one star. And Darlene, of course.
Chad D'Cruze
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The status quo change was MUCH needed, a lot better than Venditti's earlier stuff.
Jeff
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The idea of Hal Jordan going rogue works really well here. I don't know if I'm right, but I felt like I was reading a really well done sci-fi western.
Will Cooper
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Hey! A step up! Vendetti writes charming and funny dialogue this time and the plot is simple enough, so hooray!
Daniel
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 2.25 of 5

I've long been a fan of the Green Lantern series of comics/graphic novels, though for whatever reason, I haven't read too many of them here for this review blog.

This book is a good companion piece to the graphic novel Green Lantern Corp: Lost Army Vol 1, which I reviewed last week. In that book, the Green Lanterns are trapped in an alternate universe, looking for a way to return. In this book, the missing Lanterns are re
Will Robinson Jr.
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume of the Green Lantern comic series is an interesting mix bag. I liked the story but somehow I really wanted to love it. Robert Venditti gave us what I considered to be one of the best arcs for the Green Lantern books since Geoff Johns left the books. Godhead is a hard act to follow after all it put the Green Lanterns up against Jack Kirby's New Gods. Basically this series picks up from the laast volume with Hal Jordon the former Green Lantern corps. leader on the run since he seemingl ...more
Adam Fisher
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The galaxy has been a little crazy in the pages of Green Lantern, and Hal Jordan, ex-leader of the Green Lantern Corps now on the run for stealing Krona's Gauntlet from their weapons cache, aims to fix it by taking the blame for all their recent actions. But.... when he discovers that the Corps has vanished from the galaxy (See GLC: Lost Army and GLC: Edge of Oblivion) Hal sets out to find out where they went.
Along the journey, Hal gains a few companions and ends up toe to toe first against Blac
Cale
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
So the back cover blurb says 'this is a comic that can fill the Guardians of the Galaxy or Firefly hole in your hearts.' Hahahahaha No.
That's not to say it's bad. It's a decent space-faring Green Lantern story, with some decent action and a central mystery that at least gets explored and maybe resolved in the issue. But the attempts at banter (and the insultingly AI spaceship) are trying way too hard and failing miserably at pulling off that kind of charisma. It's nice to see Hal have a couple r
Kevin
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was alright. Kind of interesting. I just don't know if I really buy Jordan's motivation for going rogue in this volume.
Scott Lee
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume continues the conceit from the end of last volume that Hal will take all the heat for the universe's current anger at the Green Lanterns and therefore the corps should hunt him as an outlaw wanted for theft and near murder etc.

It creates a very interesting conflict within Hal, as he is entirely incapable of repressing his cop/hero side to even the slightest degree, and yet he has to play outlaw because his conscience and the good of the corps demand it. Unfortunately it comes late e
Chad
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The Green Lantern books have floundered in recent years. I'm not a big fan on Venditti's run and it continues here. The series is just OK, when it used to be one of the best books DC published. Hal Jordan is on the run from the GL Corps. It was some grand plan where he was taking the fall for some stuff Durlans did disguised as GL's. All very convoluted and it doesn't really matter because the GL Corps has disappeared. Hal never looks for them because he's too busy swashbuckling throughout the u ...more
John Yelverton
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Green Lantern was, at one time, the best book series in the entire DC Universe. Therefore, we must apparently throw everything that made this book series great, and return to the type of writing it had in the 90's, when Hal Jordan wasn't a Green Lantern, he was wanted and on the run, and the book series was absolutely awful.
Willie Krischke
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Good stuff. Functions as a kind of Space Western, with Green Lantern as the gunslinger with a conscience. He's got a bad reputation but a good heart.

There's an overarching goal -- stop Black Hand from turning the universe into stone -- and a few stops for do-goodery along the way.

Clean, simple, classic storytelling that's entertaining and engaging. I enjoyed this book.
James Elkins
As with most comic of the "graphic novels" (comic collections) I read, I read these as single issues.

I can't tell if this story line was a good idea that was poorly executed or a casualty of corporate/editorial dictates.

Also I don't like Hal Jordan with long hair.
Candace
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway for my son. He is 7 and just starting to get into these types of books. He never puts this book down! I had to force him to leave it in the car when we went to a water park, and he loves water. Thanks!
Kevin Smythe
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Underwhelming. Really can't get into this art style, either.
Connor McCarty
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Even I have to admit Green Lantern really started to drop in quality as the New 52 wound down
  • Green Lantern: Wrath of the First Lantern
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 3: Willpower
  • Grayson, Volume 3: Nemesis
  • The Vigilante Business (We Are Robin, #1)
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death
  • Sinestro Vol. 1: The Demon Within
  • Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Green Lanterns, Vol. 2: The Phantom Lantern
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 10: Big Noise
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Four, Vol. 1
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 9: Night and Day
Robert Venditti is a New York Times best-selling author whose characters and concepts have been adapted to film and television. He has written the monthly comic book series X-O Manowar and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior for Valiant Entertainment, Green Lantern and the The Flash for DC Comics, and the children’s novel series Miles Taylor and the Golden Cape for Simon & Schuster. He currently writ ...more

Green Lantern (2011) (8 books)
  • Green Lantern, Volume 1: Sinestro