Start by marking “Orochi: Blood” as Want to Read:
Orochi: Blood

Orochi: Blood

(Orochi)

Orochi: Blood is a tale of two sisters: Kazusa, the older, perfect sister, and Lisa, her supposed inferior. Following a car accident, Lisa is saved by a girl named Orochi, who then mysteriously falls asleep for several decades. When Orochi awakens, she's being taken to a mansion where the two women live. Lisa is now caring for the ill Kazusa. What strange secret binds the ...more
Published September 5th 2002 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Orochi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orochi

Start your review of Orochi: Blood
Abby
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
REVIEW FOR THE WHOLE SERIES!

This manga has 4 volumes on it. Before you decide to read the whole series, it only contains 9 chapters but each chapter is long. It contains around 80-100+ pages.
So here goes, I give this manga 3.5 stars. I actually like the series of events here. It's interesting and will make you reading for more. What I don't like about this is Orochi herself. Her attitude somewhat. Being too much on putting her nose on someone else's business but I guess we won'
Yuna Lee
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3/5 for ‘Blood’ but 2/5 for entire Orochi series (4 volumes, 9 long ass chapters)
George Filippakis
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a review of the whole manga.

One of the first, and lesser known works from horror master Kazuo Umezu, Orochi consists of 9 tales linked between them by the eponymous narrator; Orochi, has the appearance of a beautiful girl and is a keen observer of humans she deems interesting. Sometimes she will even exit the shadows and intervene with the lives of those she observes, altering their fates using her array of supernatural powers.

Unlike more famous Umezu works, like
Charles Dee Mitchell
Masters of the Horror Manga keep coming out of the woodwork. First there was Hideshi Hino -- master of the horror manga -- with his strangely sweet gorefests. Then the genuinely creepy Uzumaki by Jinjo Ito -- master of the horror manga. And now along comes Kazuo Umezu, you guessed it, the Master of the Horror Manga.

As much as I have enjoyed the others, I might have to go with Umezu. This sets up as a typical good sister/bad sister story, set in a mansion so large there are rooms no o
Orrin Grey
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Honestly this is probably better than 3 stars, but I'll go with my gut this time.

Anyway, this is apparently the sixth and final volume of a series of stories that all feature the ghostly character Orochi, but as far as I know this is the only one that's been translated into English. It's also one of Kazuo Umezu's more famous works, and with pretty good reason.

Closer to the power of The Drifting Classroom than the goofy gruesomeness of Cat-Eyed Boy, Orochi: Blood is really quite its own thi
Mara Cee
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kazuo Umezu is one of my favorite manga artists in the horror genre. Despite most of the stories in here being quite easy to figure out, the Orochi series is one of my favorites. Orochi's ability to blend with ease into each new situation and to protect herself and her charges if need be gives her ample room to navigate the often sinister incidents that seem to play out wherever she goes.

Like Umezu's other work, the Cat-Eyed Boy, Orochi is a non-human being who observes the horrors of human na
Neven
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This isn't a perfect comic: some of the twists are a bit hoaky, some of the dialogue is a bit awkward (probably a translation artifact). But there's so much to like about it: the story is genuinely surprising; the horror is both built up nicely and delivered frequently; the moral complexity is rich and gets you into an uncomfortable state of mind. (Always a plus with horror stories.) And best of all, Umezu's art is beautifully gothic. From the heavily inked shadows to the spookily matter-of-fact ...more
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this comic, since it reminds me so much of an old fashioned Hollywood horror, like something similar to The Haunting. The story has a very universal idea, two sisters, one is good, and the other evil. The story is written by a Japanese artist, but the characters live a very 'western' life, living in a luxurious mansion. I also was very excited when I first bought the book since I heard so much about Umezu's legacy, and how important he was to Japan's horror comics. Umezu comics may not create a co ...more
Lindsay
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Part of a longer series, "Orochi: Blood" chronicles the dysfunctional relationship between two sisters - one viewed as perfect, the other constantly in her shadow. Orochi is a mysterious ghost/spirit; I'm not sure what exactly. But I do like her. The art in this was very anime-esque, wide eyes and tiny mouths on all the faces, but it's the story and not the art that propels the graphic novel forward.
Jenna
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you're into gore, strange meddling characters, and watching people go insane, this is for you. I was fascinated at first, but I only read up to Vol. 2, Ch. 5.
Sebastien

• The Enigma of Amigara Fault
  • Shiver: Selected Stories
  • Frankenstein
  • Gyo, Vol. 1
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 2.
  • Emerging, Tome 1
  • Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror, Vol. 3
  • Fragments of Horror
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Hungry for Life: A Memoir Unlocking the Truth Inside an Anorexic Mind
  • Zapotec Civilization: A History from Beginning to End (Mesoamerican History Book 2)
  • Lychee Light Club
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • How To Write A book: Easy Simple Steps to Start Now
  • Overcoming Your Anxiety: For People on the Go
Kazuo Umezu (Japanese name 楳図 かずお, birth name 楳図一雄) is an author of Japanese horror and other manga, as well as a musician and actor.

He had his first book of manga published while still in high school and made manga his career immediately upon graduation. After moving to Tokyo in 1962 he developed his detailed horror manga style and has since published his comics in every genre from horror

Orochi (5 books)
  • おろち 1 [Orochi 1] (Orochi, #1)
  • おろち 2 [Orochi 2] (Orochi, #2)
  • おろち 3 [Orochi 3] (Orochi, #3)
  • おろち 4 [Orochi 4] (Orochi, #4)