Start by marking “Professor Frisby's Mostly Adequate Guide to Functional Programming” as Want to Read:

Professor Frisby's Mostly Adequate Guide to Functional Programming

This is a book on the functional paradigm in general. We'll use the world's most popular functional programming language: JavaScript. Some may feel this is a poor choice as it's against the grain of the current culture which, at the moment, feels predominately imperative. However, I believe it is the best way to learn FP for several reasons:

You likely use it every day at w

Be the first to ask a question about Professor Frisby's Mostly Adequate Guide to Functional Programming

Start your review of Professor Frisby's Mostly Adequate Guide to Functional Programming
Ilya Ivanov
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is your good partner in the journey towards functional paradigm and its tenets. I loved first 2/3 part of the book: functors and monadic expression made my week, but the other half deserves reviewing.
I would definitely recommend this book if you want to feel inspired a bit by functional composition, currying and in general embracing purity of your app.
Mukesh
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after watching Brian's videos on egghead.io (https://egghead.io/courses/professor-...)

Both the videos as well as the book are dense, specially for someone coming from a background of imperative programming. But the real life examples and JS implementations of the concepts help drive the points home.

Solution to real world problems are represented succinctly in the book and makes you want to go back and refactor your existing code as soon as possible. The level of abstraction hurt
Chris Nitsas
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Apparently this is a work in progress - more chapters will come in the future.

First of all, congrats to whoever first had the idea to teach functional programming using JavaScript.
As the author puts it:

1. You likely use it every day at work.
2. We don't have to learn everything up front to start writing programs.
3. The language is fully capable of writing top notch functional code.

Concerning the content:

I had no idea there's so much to learn about functional programming! Ok, I knew some things ab
Kiana
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is quite dense and makes huge logical leaps, so chapters require re-reads in order to fully grasp a concept. That said, the book is inspiring and fantastic. It's written in a tone that is a bizarre mix of dryly funny and dryly serious. The author definitely should finish it. I'd buy a copy to support the author even though I've already read it.
Temur Tchanukvadze
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: js
Basically, it's a small book for JS developer who is curious about FP and wants to get started, especially if you heard about Ramdajs. Don't forget it's free and online with exercises.
Landon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I came to this book having read several articles and a couple books on functional programming. Until I read this book, I can't say I had internalized the concepts. This book opened my eyes to a brand new way of thinking about my code. It's full of detailed, useful examples, and its quirkiness is fun. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking to take the leap into functional programming.
Sebastian
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This work clearly accomplishes its goal. Which is to introduce the reader, with a previous understanding of OOP and Javascript into the Functional Programming land. It does so by exemplifying and implementing its own version of the tools and techniques that most FP languages have built-in.

I'd certainly recommend it to any newcomer in the field of FP, as it's well prepared to go step-by-step with clear exercises and examples.

The only con is, personally, I'm not an English native speaker, nor I wa
Stan
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are new to functional programming this one book can provide an excellent introduction. You are gently thrown into a world much different than the one of object-oriented programming. Professor Franklin Risby covers the basics well in the first few chapters and then goes on to discuss functors, monads, etc.

I highly recommend doing the exercises in this book and re-reading chapters to grasp some of the more foreign (at first) concepts.

The one thing I did not like about this book is the frequ
David
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software-dev
Interesting content and clear explanations. The exercises are a little confusing (obj is not always clear) and frustrating (opaque error messages).

The book assumes you'll figure out it's JavaScript DSL organically as you read (especially by going through the appendices), which is fine... but readers could probably benefit from a little more explanation

Overall, after reading the 1st 12 chapters, I feel like I have general understanding of the concepts. This is a notoriously difficult area. It wil
Mostafa elganainy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book has a good balance between practice and theory. Yet, I believe that it could serve only as an intro to both (practice and theory). But one need to read and practice more about the category theory and functional programming after reading to book to be able to fully grasp the presented material.
Phil Filippak
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
The book is a great introduction to the functional paradigm though is yet unfinished. Anyways, I'd recommend it to everyone involved in computer programming (and familiar with JavaScript).

I believe that after some practice with FP I will return to this book, first, to read new chapters, and second, to understand more deeply what I have just glanced at now.
Carlos
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice little book to introduce you to some of the basic concepts of Functional Programming. Nicely written, even though sometimes I still got lost in some of the concepts. I think it's very important to try to do the proposed exercises in order to interiorize some of the ideas.
Zeyad Etman
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The books is great, The first 7 chapters are so great for me as a not expert JavaScript developer, I think the last chapters are advanced and I’ll return to them if i faced any problems related to their topics.
Alice Haber
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely accessible, clear and concise coverage of some of the concepts at the very core of beginner/intermediate Functional Programming. I recommend this book to everyone I know that's looking to learn some FP.
Finlay
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software, javascript
Very approachable introduction, clarified quite a few things for me. I found his video series more engaging, although it doesn't go into as much detail as this book. Would be nice if the book was updated with ES6 syntax.
VannTile Ianito
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really well explained, taking an understandable language to mathematical concepts. Really useful book
Jonathan
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I will be rereading it again at some point with an eye to going through more of the exercises. I also plan to watch the videos. Lucid and well-organized.
Andrew Cline
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful book, learned some very helpful JavaScript tricks. a really great primer for learning about Functional Programming. Explained abstract concepts very well.
Maciej Cieslar
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to Functional Programming.
Kamil Procházka
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction series to FP.
Good idea to follow the free video course https://egghead.io/courses/professor-...
Mohan Narayanaswamy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the best book in functional programming. Effort taken to explain Functor is worth.
Fsgaston
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good information, he makes some logical leaps in places that makes it hard to follow. Definitely worth the read and then another. The exercises were also very helpful.
Joe Donley
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a brain bender. I feel like I need to go through the whole book again in order to truly understand the last half of the content.
Bressain Dinkelman
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Fun little introduction to functional programming albeit a little incomplete. The exercises make it worth it though. Would recommend to anyone wanting an intro to functional programming.
Jose  Ignacio Seco Sanz
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Short and with the fundamentals. Still, my head cannot wrap my head around it. I will probably re-read it in the future.
Jesse Malinosky
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book on fp that gets to the point. Nice
Hadi Aliakbar
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
one of the best book for starting functional programming
the writer is funny, the examples are good and make sense.

if you want to know what monad is? this book can help you a lot.
Marko Kunic
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a nice book about Functional Programming but I really didn't feel it, FP is not for me.
Pe Sho
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel much more confident and less scared after reading this astonishing book to FP! Since I am a JavaScript developer and I feel with super powers about what I can do with the language - I found the examples and the exercises helpful and meaningful and at the same time they explained the core concepts of what a FP really is.

I will definitely come back and review the chapters and the definitions if they start to fade from my mind.

I hope there will be more than (10 chapters) in the future :)
Simon
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is an absolutely fantastic introduction to functional programming in Javascript! The author does a great job at explaining the fundamentals of functional programming, such as first-class/pure/point-free functions and partial application (currying). I especially enjoyed learning about Hindley-Milner function signatures and function composition, it is really eye-opening.

If you just want to improve your understanding of functional programming and apply some functional paradigms to your (m

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Design for Hackers: Reverse Engineering Beauty
  • Números que Contam Histórias
  • Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Functional Programming in JavaScript

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »