Jump to ratings and reviews

The New World #1

A Step Backward

"The New World: A Step Backward" is a creative, science fiction adventure depicting the life-and-death struggles and dangers of primitive life on Earth after an apocalyptic period between 2019 and 2025. In 2075, following the World Annihilation Period and Earth's 50-year transformation, the detested Skalag clan periodically pillages Ukkiville to murder and enslave its inhabitants. Dangers intensify as vicious, mutant beasts lurk in the shadows, preying on villagers. At the heart of this evil, the twisted scientist, Zolokt, creates killer combinations of animals, plants, and insects to inflict his acts of revenge. Infuriated by the savage attacks, a young leader, Thoruk, and his two lifelong friends pledge their lives to protect Ukkiville. The determined ruler aims to forever put an end to Zolokt and his followers, for only then will true freedom reign in The New World.

242 pages, Paperback

First published June 28, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Andy Skrzynski

4 books94 followers
Enjoyed the first 22 years of my life in Jackson and Spring Arbor, Michigan.
Spent six years at the St. Joseph's Orphanage for Boys, age 6 to 12.
Graduated from Western High School, Parma, Michigan, 1972.
Graduated with a bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Michigan State University, Dec. 1976.
Worked at IBM in Austin, Texas for 30 years and retired at age 53.

I started writing my first novel, The New World: A Step Backward, in June of 2014. I've attended four to five Read & Critique sessions monthly and have been blessed with the help and support of 64 Beta Readers. The change between my earliest writings and the finished product is night and day, thanks to the wonderful hearts and minds of so many fans, friends, and loved ones.

While my writing career got off to a late start in my life's plan at age 59, it has taken off with a determination to keep improving my skills. Over the last couple of years, I've spent most of my waking hours writing, attending Read & Critiques, reading reviews of Beta Readers, and oodles of rewriting and editing. Even though I've been extremely busy, it has been a profoundly rewarding experience and an opportunity to meet many new friends.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (19%)
1 star
5 (9%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Aviar Savijon.
1,054 reviews11 followers
December 18, 2015
The New World

After reading this book I had yo sit back for a moment and see and react to all that happened in it. There was so much, so many characters that did many wild and adventurous travels and actions for the good of mankind or to go further than their adversaries.
63 reviews5 followers
December 19, 2015
Oh sh.t

What a blast beginning or the end to start!
Unable to stop turning pages!
My heart raced through this entire book!
Loved it, loved it, I want more!
312 reviews1 follower
June 20, 2019
A 'cozy apocalypse' if there is such a category.

This is a very clean - I would rate it at age 10+ type book. (There is more violence and swearing on TV). While there is death and sadness, fighting, winning and a happy ending. There is no strong language, no gore, friendship is the strong emotion (romance, love is secondary).
Profile Image for Joel.
592 reviews18 followers
Shelved as 'did-not-finish'
October 22, 2022
Just not for me. 56 years after a nuclear attack causes mass devastation (I didn't read far enough to see whether anything other than Chicago was obliterated), the world has changed enough that people have completely changed the way surnames and swearing work, but they still believe in God.

Umm, no thanks.

DNF at 8%.
51 reviews
May 6, 2017
Incredible read!

LOTR meets Apocalypse! Entertaining, uplifting, moral and action filled. This book will reach many with its message. Two thumbs up! I got a free copy of this book and chose to review it.
663 reviews11 followers
January 12, 2017
I won this book on the goodreads giveaway. While I am always pleased to win books, I am also pleased when I enjoy them. Sadly, this was not the case with this book.

Maybe I was expecting too much, but the premise of our world having to start all over was appealing to me. The characters were one sided to me. There was no reason given for the 'bad guy' to be doing what he was doing. And there were way too many of the hybrid monsters to deal with. It was just a mish mash of everything to me. Things happened way too quickly and transitions from the 'old' world to the 'new' world were not fleshed out enough.

I admire anyone who sets out to create a world like Mr. Skrzynski did. And maybe the YA crowd will like it better than I did.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.