Start by marking “Stygian” as Want to Read:
Stygian

Stygian

Jeremy has been isolated and adrift since the death of his brother. Most people just see him as the skinny emo kid who wears eyeliner and plays drums. No one gets him. Nobody tries. He thought the indie rock band Stygian would become his anchor, but—lost in their own problems—they’re far from the family he sought.

Still, hoping to get close to Kennedy, the band's enigmatic
Published October 26th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Stygian, please sign up.
Santino Hassell Eventually I plan to write a full sequel, but for now there's a short follow-up in the free Halloween anthology LEAD ME INTO DARKNESS :) …moreEventually I plan to write a full sequel, but for now there's a short follow-up in the free Halloween anthology LEAD ME INTO DARKNESS :) https://www.allromanceebooks.com/prod...(less)
willaful It's fine to use the review space to show your excitement, but questions and answers really should be reserved for actual questions and (if you're…moreIt's fine to use the review space to show your excitement, but questions and answers really should be reserved for actual questions and (if you're lucky) answers.(less)

Baba
Oct 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
**Review removed due to personal reasons. Rating downgraded to one star**

March 7, 2018
Judith
REVIEW & RATING REMOVED
Santino Hassell
Aug 09, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
STYGIAN comes out on October 26th, but you can preorder now at DREAMSPINNER, Amazon, ARe, and probably other places!

I'm torn between being super excited and super nervous. Excited because... new book! Scared because I've never written anything like it before.

STYGIAN is a M/M romance but it's also southern gothic and features paranormal elements. My intent with this book was to 1) pay homage to Poppy Z. Brite and the beautifully haunting queer books he wrote in the 90s, and 2) to write something
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This was my second book by Santino Hassell, and though I gave both books 3-ish stars, which for me is a good rating, I'm just not sure if he is the author for me.

If I could describe Stygian in a couple of words it would be "intense" and "angsty". Damn, his books are bleak. It is like one bad, terrible thing happening after another to these characters. In fact, the more you get to know the characters, the more depressed you get.

I'll talk about the positives first. Santino Hassell is really good
Julio Genao
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
not my favorite from rantino.

the drama seemed forced and the dialogue was painful.

the mystery was a little skimpy, and the ending was kinda unsatisfying, given what we learn right before that.

but i gotta tell you, some of those townie fuckers were so well-characterized they legit creeped me out, and that scene upstairs, in the dark, with the cold breeze...

scared the everlivin' shit outta me.
Ingie
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Bev
Written November 24, 2015

4 Stars - Gosh, this was a exciting journey - a creepy, unforgettable story - a page-turner with a beautiful book-cover

I started Stygian, a planned (M/M) buddyread with my nice Malta friend Sofia (her review), and to be true and honest, I'd forget this was a scary story (in my opinion actually a true horror novel).

This read was a tiny bit from to be too intense and angsty for (little) me. A creepy atmosphere, scary odd characters, surprises, no what so ever sugar
Megan Erickson
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
So when I was ten, I was at some sort of gathering with family friends. All the adults were upstairs and all of us kids were down in the basement, up to no good. Some little genius decided to turn on IT, the movie based on the book by Stephen King, and so we all huddled around the TV watching this fucking clown devour children. By the time my parents realized what we were watching it, the damage was done and I was sufficiently freaked out. The part I hated most was the shower scene, where the cl ...more
Ran ♠
IF THIS IS NOT THE COVER OF THE YEAR I DON'T KNOW WHAT

Erika
That was so frustrating!

I'm still up at 2 am and finished with this book already because I was too annoyed by these "every dumb kid in a horror movie" characters to fall asleep. I was literally yelling at talking to my iPad in frustration as I read this, especially the last half. Especially that Mary Sue named Jeremy.

I guess I've read enough horror novels and watched enough scary movies over the years that I knew everything that would happen before it happened (check my status updates). I mean,
Alisa
“Review deleted because the author may have have misrepresented themselves as ownvoices and accepted cash gifts from fans under potentially false pretenses.”

Gaby
Jul 31, 2015 added it
Review Removed.
Sara
Aug 10, 2015 marked it as won-t-read-for-reasons
Review Removed
Sofia

I tried, really I did, right till the end. But I could not connect or understand why the hell they remained together. They said that they had glue together but I couldn't see any. I could not feel them together either as a band, as friends or as lovers. So for me it ended up being:

*Wrangle with grumpy bandmates
Feel unwanted, alone and emotional
Go walking in the woods

Rinse and repeat from *

I guess the above did not let me go into the horror thing either because I was eye rolling rather than sha
Giulio
Nov 06, 2015 added it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Edit (march, 2018)

rating removed because of this

original review:

Awesome. Full of tension and with a dark atmosphere. Loved it. #teamHunter
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween-fun

3.5 Stars

This book had me at first sight. LOOK at that gorgeous cover! That “Hello!” and Santino Hassell’s grit, words, and characters made for one hot mix of music, sexual tension, and creepiness!

The band—Stygian--made up of Jeremy, Quince, Watts and Kennedy are trying to settle into a Louisiana musical get-away/retreat to work out their tensions and new material. Jeremy, our guide through this tale, is new to the band. A band with a lot of pain, problems, and history. He still feels uncomforta
rachel
i literally cannot even fucking function atm.

review and rating withdrawn.
Angela
Sep 01, 2015 added it
Review removed
Mmeguillotine
3.5 Well? I don't know. I love the straight-forward manner in which Santino Hassell writes, and I love Southern Gothic, and I love creepy ass characters that may or may not be evil, so I was pretty sure that Stygian was going to be a slam dunk for me, but somehow, it wasn't. I think this is why.

Stygian had one toe in the paranormal/horror pool and one toe in the m/m romance pool, and neither was in deep enough to make it work. I felt like there was SO MUCH potential, but it just skimmed the sur
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

3-3.5 stars

Thank you Santino for a copy of an ARC.

I dont even know how to review this book.

Maybe its because I dont think I have ever read a gothic book? Or gothic horror? Yah I’m pretty sure I haven’t read anything like Stygian.

I think the whole time I read this book I was in the state of “I don’t even know”

If it was any other author I think this book would have been a DNF. I love the way Santino writes and I also love the way he world builds. He world builds like nothing before or since. He ha
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one ticked a lot of boxes for me. I have come to love Hassell's writing style and his basic....I don't know what to call it, tone maybe. Just the way everything I've read by him, regardless of the genre, has a certain feel to it that I love. It's gritty. It's real. It's maybe even a little nihilistic. It pretends happily ever after can't exist, even if a character gets it in the end. Maybe you'd have to read his stuff for that to make sense.

In Stygian, Hassell has created a host of seeming
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Weird and creepy and frustrating and wangsty, but so satisfyingly wangsty that I'll probably keep it on my Kindle to revisit the sexual tension again and again.
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been putting off writing this review for the longest time possible simply because I don’t quite have the words for this book. I’m going to try my best, but I’m pretty my flailing everywhere, so hopefully you can decipher what I am trying to convey through reading this one.

This was one of my usual cases of, “Ooh, look at that pretty cover. Let’s read that! Should we check the synopsis? Nope.” And this cover is gorgeous! But I really need to stop doing that because: (i) I don’t read NA. (i
Jenni

Super writing and awesome characters. I could get lost (in some Louisiana woods) with Hassell's winding prose, and that's the truth.

I wasn't as into the story itself (as past Hassell work I've read) and the PNR aspect felt...predictable. I'd rather have spent more time with MCs Jeremy and Kennedy, getting to know their individual histories and what made them tick. Based on what little the author shared about their back stories, these two have passion and depth in spades. Sadly, it wasn
M'rella
I am leaving this book on my "read" shelf, but removing all of SH's unread books as I will not be reading anything by this author anymore.

I deleted my review and set the rating to zero stars.

• 1/27: An ICoS Anthology
  • Summoner of Storms (SPECTR, #6)
  • Undesirable
  • The Beast Without (Arcadia Trust, #1)
  • The Scarlet Tide (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #3)
  • Devil at the Crossroads
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Adam & Peter, #2)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 3 (Dark Soul, #3)
  • Third Eye
  • The Dream Alchemist (Somnus, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Darkness Volume 2  (Fallocaust, #3)
  • Motel. Pool.
  • Stung (Zombie Gentlemen)
  • Bone Rider
Santino Hassell was raised by a conservative family but grew up to be a smart-mouthed, school cutting grunge kid, a transient twenty-something, and eventually transformed into a grumpy introvert and unlikely romance author with an affinity for baseball caps. His novels are heavily influenced by the gritty, urban landscape of New York City, and his desire to write relationships fueled by intensity ...more