Start by marking “The ABC's of Hand Lettering” as Want to Read:
The ABC's of Hand Lettering

The ABC's of Hand Lettering

The ABCs of Hand Lettering is a comprehensive guidebook for beginners in hand lettering. Inside you’ll find a repository of styles you can explore with drawing letters. Learn the basics – from the rundown of art materials, font styles, and the process of turning letters into visual art. Get to see the work of some of your favorite local letterers and type artists. And last ...more
96 pages
Published June 2015 by Edna Belleza

To ask other readers questions about The ABC's of Hand Lettering, please sign up.
Nicole Looks like you can only order from here if not from Philippines http://rainbowholic-shop.com/product-.... Thinking about getting a copy too :)

Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

I’ve been a fan of Abbey Sy’s hand lettering work for a few years now (as well as her amazing blog, Artistic Dreams) and even attended one of her workshops over the summer, so I was definitely psyched to hear that she was releasing a book! I’ve always been a lover of artsy things, being a design and typography enthusiast, but it didn’t come naturally to me (by that I mean I can’t draw to save my life), as it did for real creative people like Abbey. I want
Lex
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filipino-authors
I was actually expecting that this book have like practice sheets for lettering. LOL. But good tips! :) I'll try harder next time with my hand lettering/scripts.
Athaya Irfan
Buku yang terlalu sederhana. Menyesal juga kenapa kutukarkan placebo ku hanya untuk buku ini. Terasa sia-sia.

silakan baca sendiri yang ingin tahu "secuil" mengenai apa itu hands lettering.
jerica
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Gorgeous book (the colors are amazing) and a great basic lettering book. It's not too helpful if you already know the basics (honestly, everything here you can learn for free online) but the lettering samples in this book are really pretty to look at and can serve as great practice material.

The book's format/content reminds me a lot of Emily Gregory's Little Book of Lettering, from the tips down to the artist features. The main difference is this book doesn't have the chapter on 3D typography.
Dessa Mae
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thank this book for helping me rediscover my love for hand lettering and making me realize that there are endless possibilities in making art and I am barely scratching the surface of it ❤
Nauka N.
a really useful book for everyone who interested in learning typography and lettering! it's easy to be followed and practiced, and the letterings and layouts in this are beautiful.

solid 4 stars for this!
Neti Triwinanti
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
3 bintang.
Karena tadinya berharap ada halaman-halaman untuk berlatih. Tapi cukup informatif buat yang benar-benar baru memulai hand lettering.
Chairumi Tyas
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Buku ini berguna sekali, menambah pengetahuan tentang hand-lettering yang tidak saya ketahui sebelumnya. Saya membaca sambil praktik hand lettering dan hasilnya memuaskan :-D
Mauricio Portillo
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating . I likeit the way of the different letters and some ideas to improve the handwritten
Sheryl
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things I loved:

-Visually pleasing. I loved that there were many featured artists in Part 4 of the book.

-Surprisingly technical. It was interesting for me to know that hand lettering, typography, calligraphy are art forms in themselves with technical terms to boot. Who even knew that you had a term for adjustment of spaces between characters aka kerning? Also, knowing about the difference between Serif and Sans Serif, yasss!

-Intrigued my curiosity. I've always loved beautiful writing. I even reme
Queen
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artsy people and those who want to start a new hobby
Shelves: signed
Originally posted at Just a Flyleaf

I've always wanted to try hand lettering. It started when I was in high school, I have a friend who does well in hand lettering. I admire her works, and I always ask her to do lettering on my notebook or just a piece of paper. She's always the one who writes on Manila paper for our group reports, she also does the cut-outs and lettering of the name of the event when we have a program. Well, you get the idea: she's basically talented.

My notebooks in college were
Maui Rochell
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book last July 10 and I only opened and read the book this morning in one seating. I let myself craved for this book even if I already have it. Weird, right? Of course, it won't be the last time that I will read this cause I'm pretty sure I'll get back to this when I formally start my self-study in drawing letters.

I love writing. As in writing in my journal, taking down notes from a lecture and such. But just this year, I became engulfed in painting letters. Since drawing and paint
Stefanny Natalia
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Sebenernya buku ini cukup membantu untuk orang-orang yang ingin belajar hand lettering, tapi dibeberapa bagian, buku ini kurang maksimal juga untuk orang-orang yang setidaknya sudah tau dasar2 typography seperti aku...
3,5 bintang untuk buku ini, bukan karena isinya jelek.
Illustrasinya Abbey Sy cantik banget sumpah, cuma penjelasan-penjelasan didalamnya bener2 yang basic banget, yang mana lebih cocok untuk orang2 yang memang belum bisa membedakan apa itu typography apa itu serif, apa itu sans se
Joaquin
A three and a half star rating isn't that low. Generally, the highest I've given a local book must've been the same? So don't stress out on the rating.

This book has opened up a lot of possibilities for me because I've always been interested in hand lettering because of its beauty and elegance.

It's nice to learn all about the different terminologies and the different materials and different styles. This book just has a lot to offer!

It also has some features from other artists to show some differe
Cel Cunanan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to really learn proper strokes or guides on how to do hand lettering as I believe this art is too personal. Most of the typography intro in the first chapters I already know since I like Typography as well. There are no exercises. But there were several pages dedicated to other Filipino hand letterers including their work so it's a good source of inspiration only (for me). Youtube videos are probably better references if you want to learn the step by step of practicing your ha ...more
Yan Birog
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It was pure eye-candy. Very inspirational, yes, but it's lacking in what I think is important to consider it a manual (given its title). I was looking for exercises with blank pages to work with but half the book was dedicated to featured artists instead. Nothing against it but they could've trimmed it down.

The book will inspire you for sure, the tips aren't so technical and is fit for beginners so you'll definitely learn a thing or two. Her very personal approach in writing the content makes h
Phoebe Andamo
The book is a startup for lettering. It contains ideas of what materials to use, how to start, and inspires to keep creating things. It also features good artists. It is simple, basic, and fun.

I got interested the moment I learned about Abbey Sy's book and her pun ABC's. I suppose this is a first lettering book by a Filipino artist; if not, the first to be famous. I bought it immediately and went to see the author in an event. Sadly, the free workshop in the event was about the things she mentio
Richele Anne
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's official! I've finished my artwork today.. Although I was already done with the book last April 13.. Anyway.. The author provided basic background about hand lettering for beginners like me.. It had made me feel inspired to be creative again.. It convinced me to learn the art of calligraphy more..

This self-help book is recommended for those aspiring hand letterer.. It doesn't matter whether your work won't match from what the author did.. It's normal.. Don't give up! You'll achieve it soon!
Angelli
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
not only did this book helped me to improve my skills in lettering but it also inspired me, actually inspiring me up until now to pursue what I love and to do things i didn't know i can do. Kudos to Abbey Sy and hoping for more outputs from her that will continue to inspire not only me and the people who love lettering but to all people out there who are still trying to find out what hobby or what to do in their next adventure!
Anne Mp
Apr 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is more or less a hundred page long. However, half was only dedicated to teaching techniques (hardly). The rest features other artist. I thought I was buying a guide book and not a magazine. It was a big disappointment! Better get LEARN CALLIGRAPHY by Margaret Shepherd.

I want to support local artists and publishers but come on! I felt like I got screwed when I bought this book. It was nice to look at and it was pricey. But it didn't serve it's purpose.
Britt Aamodt
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of lettering art to look at

This is the what an art book should be. Nearly every page is full of art. Text instructions are useful but the examples are what inspire. The book's design is also clean and attractive. A very well-conceived digital book.

One of the nicest bits is the chapter that introduces a number of lettering artists and their work. It's great for comparison between styles and to expand your lettering toolbox.
NANCY SPILLER
A beginner's book to introduce you to lettering. I enjoyed the spotlights on a variety of people doing this art. It's interesting to know how they got there. I also liked in knowing the four forms: serif,

sans serif, script and decorative with lots of samples. I liked this but would have liked more how to information or would have given it a better rating.

Arianne sarmiento
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very creative book for learning hand lettering. There were samples of alphabets however, I would've preferred if there were instructions with basic strokes or arrows to show how to start drawing the alphabets. Overall, this was a good book. Very informative and showcases works from other hand lettering artists too.
Timotheos
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A+ for the layout. Very creative. However, the book did not reach my expectation. It is just a simple "introduction on Lettering 101"; I can just do a research about it on the Internet instead. Although the content of it is very motivating, the learning in here is incomplete because it does not provide any activity for the readers to try. I find Youtube much better when it comes on learning.
Andrea
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
Big fan of Abbey Sy, but apart from presenting other people's styles and informing me on the basic terminologies in hand lettering, this book did not help with learning strokes and tips for hand positions, etc.

Then again, it did say ABC's of Hand Lettering, so nothing but the basics should be expected, I guess.
Liezl Manatad
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This will be my stepping stone in reaching my ultimate dream!
I got inspired and there's a lot to choose from, what would be your style that will suit your personality.
I love this book. I should have more reference for my guide. :)
Jen
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The sets of alphabets were really useful whenever I'm in a creative dump. Although most of the content can be found online, it's also a nice push to know where you have to start and to know the author's creative process.
Shannon Binegar-Foster
Great information

I really enjoyed this book. It is loaded with examples. I will be using it often. My only disappointment is that the kindle version wouldn't let me bookmark any pages. It was more like a PDF file than a kindle book.
Candy
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I was a child I have loved writing and attempting to make artwork from letters. I have recently become interested in this again and am seeking books on the subject. This one was very helpful and encouraging. I can't wait to learn more!
Herlency
Nov 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book not is kindle format

Seems a PDF converged to images.
No search, no highlight.
Difficult reading...
Very sadness.

I waited more of The book format

• Whatever You Are, Be a Good One
  • Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • Sexy Girls: How Hot is Too Hot?
  • The Desert Fathers
  • Modern Calligraphy: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started in Script Calligraphy
  • Hand-Lettering for Everyone: A Creative Workbook
  • Jesus Mean and Wild: The Unexpected Love of an Untamable God
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • Crawling: A Father's First Year
  • Slow Knitting
  • Beachcombing at Miramar: The Quest for an Authentic Life
  • Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling in Color
  • The Artisan Soul: Crafting Your Life into a Work of Art
  • 5-Minute Sketching -- Architecture: Super-Quick Techniques for Amazing Drawings
  • The God Catchers: Experiencing the Manifest Presence of God
  • The Bone Thief (Wulfgar, #1)
  • Modern Calligraphy and Hand Lettering: A Mark-Making Workbook for Crafters, Cardmakers, and Journal Artists
Abbey Sy is an artist, best-selling author and creative entrepreneur from Manila, Philippines. Her penchant for analog-style documenting, reading books, & exploring the world ignites her passion for making art and sharing stories.