Start by marking “Hidden Gold: A True Story of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Hidden Gold: A True Story of the Holocaust

Hidden Gold: A True Story of the Holocaust

The Gold family finds their peaceful lives shattered when Poland is invaded by the Nazis during WWII.

It's 1942, and the Nazis are rounding up Jews in the Polish town of Pinczow for transport to the Treblinka death camp. Leib and Hanna Gold though they had more time to develop an escape plan. While Leib leaves to negotiate a hiding place, Hanna and their children, Shoshana,
Published October 6th 2015 by Second Story Press (first published October 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Gold

Start your review of Hidden Gold: A True Story of the Holocaust
Emma
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I saw a lot of hype in my online reading group about this book and decided to give it a try. Read it in one day! It was an easy read. Didn't realize it was a book for young adults until I went back to see more about it after I finished.

The first couple of chapters set up life in pre-war in Poland for the Gold family and you get a glimpse into the affluent life of a Jewish family. There is a powerful message in the book, one of love, caring for each other and family loyalty. I really liked that
Natalie
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is no way to justly review a true testament except with thanks and gratitude. Thank you Ella for documenting the story of your mother's family. I appreciate how their terrible holocaust loss of father, home and so much more is here recorded in an accessible yet very respectful way .
Sarah Chaia
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gripping and moving, Hidden Gold had me captivated right till the last page. I related to Shoshana who was the eldest of the three siblings. Her outward courage while she was petrified deep down made me feel very emotional towards her.

It was interesting to read how a perfectly normal family, with the kids arguing and fighting while the parents worked, turned into a horrendous nightmare because they were Jewish. The evil and hatred of that time in history is very difficult to accept. I've read
Barbra
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of the Gold family as they are in flight from the Nazis, struggling to survive. Desperate to find a safe place they discover there are very few people they can trust. It is a simply told story that grabs at your heart and is a reminder of the horrors of war and the bond of family love. This true account is geared to readers 14 to adult.
Nancy Lawes
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Engaging, well written, I kept thinking, could all this be true? Such determination and love of family got them through the worst of times. I will not forget this book just as I am compelled to shout to the world, Never Forget!
Ann
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The story of a Jewish family who had to go into hiding for 26 months and their indominatable spirit that allowed them to survive.
Critterbee❇
Heartbreaking yet inspiring, a true account of a family's survival during one of the darkest periods in human history.

Essential reading for young adults.
Alexis Okoro
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I have read many a Holocaust book, but this...you feel the pain this family goes through. Wow, very well written.
Anna
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first holocaust survivor story I’ve read where the experiences were not within concentration camps or ghettos. A story of survival in hiding. Very well written, moves very quickly, easy to read and follow. I was on the edge of my seat at every chapter and could not put it down. Highly recommend if you are interested in this genre.
Pam
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hidden Gold: A True Story of the Holocaust is by Ella Burakowski. Ella Burakowski has written this book about her Mother (Shoshana) and her family’s struggle to survive the Holocaust. This book is written for young adults and it suitable for ages 14 through adult. Although it deals with a very harsh subject and details their struggles, it avoids graphic depictions and incidents. Yet as you read, you experience the horrors of the war, dealing with disreputable people, starvation and depravation. ...more
Joette Conner
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

I really love this book I had a hard time putting it down I don't know how they survived as long as they did a must-read
Lynn Mcgilvray-saltzman
A tale of suffering and ultimate survival

No one survived the Holocaust without tremendous planning , endurance, the help of others and a strong will to live. This is a true story of a
2 families squeezed into a tiny hiding place in a barn for 2 years without ever leaving the barn. Surviving at times on one loaf of bread that had to feed 6 people for two weeks.
Sally
The true story of a Polish Jewish family forced into hiding - the oldest daughter is the author's own mother, and the story is based on the memories of her younger brother, so you know at least those two survive! (view spoiler) ...more
LaDonna
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hidden Gold tells the true story of the Gold family, a prominent Jewish family that lived in Poland during World War II. The book, written by a granddaughter of one of the family members, is based on family interviews and includes photographs and an afterward about the survivors. The Gold's devotion to their family drives their plans as they try to find a way to escape the Nazis, even as more and more of the Jewish community are being killed or sent to concentration camps. The book is well ...more
Karin
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read so many books about the holocaust and yet i keep learning new things. This story is about the Golds, a wealthy family in Poland who were caught in the crossfire of WW2. A family hid the Golds for 2 years in their barn, not comfortably, not out of love or kindness but for money and goodwill after the war.

This book is well -written- except the end. I want to know more about their after-war lives especially Shoshana's life in Israel and the life of the family who hid them since they
Leslie
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! One of the better books I've read about the Holocaust. It holds your interest from page one to the end. The fact that it is a true story really brings the characters to your heart. God bless these people who've suffered so much.
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
Marsmannix
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book not seeing that is a "teen" book.
However, i was pleasantly surprised.
This is a page-turner of a book that any casual reader will enjoy. Granted it's written for young people, but it's so well paced, and has a great dramatic arc, that any aspiring writer should read & draw lessons from it.
And the story itself is compelling.

A compelling, true story of a Jewish family during WWII. This is an excellent book for anyone looking to learn more about the Holocaust -- it reads as engagingly as fiction but is a true story, making it a very accessable book.
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story of how a mother and her children survived by hiding in Poland. The horror of the holocaust is not just the Nazis, but that many other people were very antisemitic also. Even worse is that survivors returned to find their property confiscated and wrongs were never made right.
Pam
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holocaust
A very compelling read. I found myself turning to the pictures in the back over and over again as I read. After I was done, I looked up the locations mentioned in the book. I was struck by the fact that they were in hiding only 11 kilometers away from their family home.
The Jewish Book Council
Review by Marge Kaplan for the Jewish Book Council.
Carolyn
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gripping read. I still find it hard to believe that the characters in the book are real people who lived through these experiences. A must read.
Abby Nautel
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ann Smith
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hidden Gold

This book should be read by everyone interested in World History, particularly the WWII era. A well- written , well-documented nonfiction as told (to the author) by David Gold.
Put it in high school and college libraries or the sake of truths for our children to know.
Susana Passeron
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very moving story of the Golds' ordeal and a reminder of holocaust that never should be forgotten
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I'm generally not a memoir person. But if I'm going to read a memoir (or even nonfiction), I'll choose anything about the Holocaust (I find that time period sadistically interesting).

Hidden Gold deserves about as much praise as Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl. A story set in another part of Europe (Poland) during Hitler's reign, Burakowski
Julia
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
The story is compelling but the style was not to my taste. It was written more like a fiction book than a non-fiction book. I just don't like the idea of recreating whole conversations and peoples inner thoughts in a non-fiction book. It just doesn't gel with the genre.
Adrienne Newman
Nov 23, 2017
Morecoffeepls
Apr 15, 2016
Janet
May 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Book Giveaways: YA True Holocaust story - 5 books for free 1 19 Jul 30, 2015 02:58AM
Holocaust and gen...: Goodreads giveaway 5 books HIDDEN GOLD 1 18 Jul 29, 2015 05:24PM

• Invisible Jews: Surviving the Holocaust in Poland
  • In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer
  • Run Rachel Run: The Thrilling, True Story of a Teen’s Daring Escape and Heroic Survival During the Holocaust
  • Undaunted: The Tiger of Auschwitz
  • After the Roundup: Escape and Survival in Hitler's France
  • In the Face of Fear: The Authentic Holocaust Survival Story of the Weisz Family
  • Auschwitz Escape: The Klara Wizel Story
  • Rescued from the Ashes: The Diary of Leokadia Schmidt, Survivor of the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Maybe You Will Survive: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Girl In Hiding: Remembrances of a Holocaust Survivor
  • Clara's War
  • Behind Enemy Lines: The True Story of a French Jewish Spy in Nazi Germany
  • My Mother's Secret
Most people know me as Ask Ella in The Canadian Jewish News, I've been writing an advice column in The CJN for the past 20 years. Along with my column, I'm the Operations Manager at the paper, having grown to that position through many years of working at different jobs at the paper.

I was born to Holocaust survivors, Shoshana Gold and Fishl Burakowski, who met after the war in Foehrenwald, a