Start by marking “The Yule Lads: A Celebration of Iceland's Christmas Folklore” as Want to Read:
The Yule Lads: A Celebration of Iceland's Christmas Folklore

The Yule Lads: A Celebration of Iceland's Christmas Folklore

Gifts left in shoes, milk disappearing from the fridge, mysterious figures whisking into the shadows...at Christmas time in Iceland this can mean only one thing - the Yule Lads are back in town! Over the centuries the Icelanders have developed a highly unusual set of Yuletide traditions, from the food they eat - smoked lamb, rotten skate and leaf bread - to their colourful ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Edda

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
My friend from Iceland told me about these fellows who appear, one each night, for the 13 nights before Christmas. They're mischievous beings now, but used to be more fearsome in days long ago. Like all folkloric critters, they've mellowed with age and countless tellings. They're the sons of Gryla the ogress and one of her three husbands. Most of them are concerned with sneaking foods of various sorts from unsuspecting households; a couple, like Door Slammer and Window Peeper, make other mischie ...more
Cassandra Louise
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute summary of Icelandic Christmas (jól) folklore!

Rate Procedure:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ - I loved the book so much I would reread it again and would recommend to a friend.
⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Thoroughly enjoyed the book, could not put it down, would recommend to a friend, but do not need to read again.
⭐⭐⭐ - Probably a good book that I enjoyed but there was something about it I did not love (e.g. The writing style, the POV, etc.). I would only recommend to a friend if it was their "type" of book.
⭐⭐ - A book I have below
Marybeth
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Its a fun book on the different Yule Lads of Christmas in Iceland. Love the traditions that is held with this. Also being in Iceland for Christmas this book helped understand more about what you see around the city. :)
Connie Whitcomb
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pictures are wonderful. In addition to a story of each Yule Lad, their mother, Gryla, and the Yule Cat, the book imparts interesting tidbits of Icelandic history and culture. The book is informative and amusing; the author has a good sense of humor. Reading this short book is altogether a fun experience.
Evan
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Thirteen mischievous trolls, each with a specific gift to give at Christmastime, is a tradition I can get behind. A gigantic Yule Cat that eats children if they don't wear new clothing on Christmas Day? Yikes! Gotta love that Icelandic folklore!
Katrina
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and great illustrations!
Dixie
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Fun!
Diana Bustamante
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Folktales from Iceland, pretty scary stuff!
Danice
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated book about Icelandic Christmas Folklore.
Nolan Holley
Elena
Jan 30, 2015
Emma Larsson

Jólasveinar ganga um gólf
með gylltan staf í hendi,
móðir þeirra sópar gólf
og flengir þá með vendi

I can't explain how much I love Icelandic lore! Maybe because it's so closely written down and preserved, and at the same time so connected with Old Norse lore, the lore I should know and be close to myself, but isn't since Sweden and Scandinavia has been so much closer to the rest of Europe than Iceland.

Ever since I heard that Iceland has thirteen "tomtar" back in 2016 I was hooked, of course, but
Gwenno Lloyd
Dec 16, 2015
Chelsea
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I love the explanation of the Yule Lads! (A traditional part of rich Icelandic Christmas folklore). I wish we had something like this in Canadian Christmas traditions.