Start by marking “Licence Expired: The Unauthorized James Bond” as Want to Read:
Licence Expired: The Unauthorized James Bond

Licence Expired: The Unauthorized James Bond

In Paris, James Bond meets his match over appetizers and cocktails—with an aperitif of industrial espionage and chilly sadism. Off the coast of Australia, he learns about a whole new level of betrayal under the scorching light of a ball of thunder. In Siberia, he dreams of endless carnage while his fate is decided by one of his most cunning enemies and perhaps the greatest ...more
Published November 17th 2015 by ChiZine Publications

To ask other readers questions about Licence Expired, please sign up.
David Nickle There are indeed plans for an e-book. Not sure what form it will take, or if it will be sold through Amazon, but it will only be sold in Canada, or…moreThere are indeed plans for an e-book. Not sure what form it will take, or if it will be sold through Amazon, but it will only be sold in Canada, or those places where copyright law allows it to be.(less)
David Nickle It isn't available in the U.S., alas. That's part of the copyright deal. I'd guess that one or two copies have made their way south of the border, but…moreIt isn't available in the U.S., alas. That's part of the copyright deal. I'd guess that one or two copies have made their way south of the border, but I sadly do not have any advice on how to obtain one. Sorry.
(less)

Start your review of Licence Expired: The Unauthorized James Bond
Eduardo
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After the utter disappointment that was Spectre last year, I needed to get my James Bond fix from another source. Thankfully, trusty ChiZine publications came to the rescue with this marvelous collection where authors are set free to explore and expand the character in various and interesting ways.

There are stories of all kinds here, the book excels in originality and diversity. The tales seem to be in chronological order, from a young Bond to his very last days. Things kick off with One
Monsieurh
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, owned
LICENCE EXPIRED is a collection of short stories that was "racing against changes to Canadian copyright legislation." In Canada, "January of 2015 marked the fiftieth anniversary of Ian Fleming's death, and that put Fleming's novels into the public domain ...Canada ... held to the Berne Convention on copyright." Other countries have made the change from fifty to seventy years and Canada may be following suit. Hence the rush to complete and publish.
This collection refers to Ian Fleming's creation
Rouleauville
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories was fantastic. It truly delivered !
One of the great aspects of the collection was that the stories are told from a vast array of characters - not just from the superspy himself. We are given stories told from a villain's point of view, acquaintances, 'Bondgirl' women or even a henchman. The stories span the life of James bond, from school days to retired life as a senior. Of course there were references to many people or things already written about in the
Tobin Elliott
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This took me longer to read than I expected, because I love Bond—both the movie version, and the literary version, which is the focus of this collection.

I will say this started out strong with an interesting and enigmatic opening story, followed by the best story of the collection as the second, by Robert J. Wiersema. I won't blow it, but I will say that, with his story, Wiersma effectively rewrote the entire reason for Bond's service in one neat little story.

After that, I found the book settled
Nancy Baker
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Canada's copyright law allowed the written James Bond to go into public domain this year and the editors and CZP jumped right in with this anthology of original Bond stories. The Bonds depicted here range from schoolboy to septegenarian but they all have the Bond mix of coldness, competence and charisma. The stories are all strong but I particularly liked A.M. Dellamonica's Moneypenny story ("Through Your Eyes Only"), Ian Rogers' chilly northern tale ("Two Graves") and Catherine MacLeod's subtle ...more
Harding Young
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
For fans of Ian Fleming, there are a few gems in this collection. Unfortunately, there are a handful of forgettable, entirely skip-able stories where authors imposed their literary fetishes onto an unwilling Bond character -- but these failures make themselves clear in the first few paragraphs so you can abort the mission before you're too invested.

Take your time and enjoy the freedom of the public domain. You have all the time in the world.
Alan Teder
Haiku summary:
In nineteen stories,
From Eton to Jamaica,
James Bond forever.
E.A.
I am so glad Ashby and Nickle took advantage of the copyright lapse in Canada and solicited the stories for this anthology. I love spy stories. I love (Daniel Craig) James Bond movies. I love the idea of James Bond. But I've never read Fleming's novels. I know they are full of distasteful things like unrepentant misogyny and racism, and I don't have time for that kind of negativity in my life.

The beauty of this anthology is that the writers use all the cool bits and find ways to leave behind or
Christopher Roden
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I read my first Bond novel when I was 11. That's well over half a century ago. And I wanted to enjoy seeing what this revival would do for the character. Unfortunately, with rare exceptions, the character I know was barely recognisable. So, while I admire the effort that went into producing this Canadian rarity, I have to say I was, overall, rather disappointed. My star-rating is on the generous side.
Violette Malan
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bond has to be second only to Holmes in fame and popularity, and this is the only anthology available, and only in Canada. Superior stories by some of the best writers around. Get your Canadian friends to send you a copy. You deserve it.
Deane Barker
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book of James Bond short stories. Since it's not canon, it takes so much...license, with the character and the series. There's a Bond/Cthulu mashup, Bond as a teenager at Eton, a couple with Bond as a retired 90-year-old, etc. It was such a fresh look at aspects of Bond that have never been examined before.

This is not for everyone, clearly. But keep an open mind and enjoy it as the entertaining diversion that it is.
Hannah
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Only four of these stories mention Felix Leiter and NONE feature him zero stars

(jk these are super fun I really enjoyed this collection!!!)
Brian Gaston
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
Short story collections are so hard to rate. Some of the stories in here are "5's" for me and some on "2's" thus my middling rating. I found the beginning and ending particularly strong with the middle a little mushy. I found Ashby's Afterword a little odd where she explains the limitations of the book. Nonetheless, I recommend you pick it up for the good stories.
Tone
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's not often that I enjoy every story in a collection, especially one with various authors.
I'll say up front, I've only read Casino Royale, so I'm a meager judge on the legitimacy in relation to cannon. But I knew enough to follow along.
Matthew Rettino
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes legal loopholes result in great art. With the Ian Fleming's copyright expiring for Canada but not the States, ChiZine was able to cash in big on a great opportunity. The stories do not disappoint. They collection reads like a tribute to Mr. Bond for the twenty-first century. It has the cars, the girls, the gadgets--and the awareness. But they play it straight. Bond is frequently shown to the be the cruel, womanizing not-exactly-politically-correct hero/antihero he is shown to be in the ...more
M
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An uneven but interesting set of stories mostly starring James Bond, written under the public domain status of Ian Fleming’s books in Canada. Some of these stories are good, some not so good, some barely feature Bond, some don’t require him. Several seem written by authors who’ve never read Fleming’s originals. I give four stars because when the stories were good, I thought they were quite good, and the less good could be easily moved past.
Vincent Konrad
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the stories aren't that great, but the concept is enough to carry them And a couple of them are just really enjoyable. Fave one is Bond x Lovecraft.
Steve
Sep 04, 2018
Steve Bevan
Sep 12, 2018
David Nickle
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
David
Oct 10, 2017
Leon
Oct 18, 2017
Mark Victor Young
May 18, 2016
Madeline Ashby
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Paul
Sep 24, 2018
Robert
Sep 02, 2015

• Lair of the White Worm
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • Most Likely to Die
  • Demons By Daylight
  • Ark Land
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • Rage Is Back
  • The Wildfire Season
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • The Demonologist
  • Black Mad Wheel
  • Experimental Film
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • Zero Minus Ten
David Nickle is the author of several novels and numerous short stories. His latest novel is VOLK: A Novel of Radiant Abomination. His novel Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism (to which VOLK is a sequel) was a finalist for the Aurora Award, the Sunburst Award and the Compton Crook Award. His story collection Monstrous Affections won the 2009 Black Quill Reader's Choice Award. He's a past winner ...more