Start by marking “A Master Passion: Book One: Love and Liberty” as Want to Read:
A Master Passion: Book One: Love and Liberty

A Master Passion: Book One: Love and Liberty

THE MASTER PASSION is the story of a marriage – called by some a misalliance – of Alexander Hamilton, our First Secretary of the Treasury, and Betsy Schuyler. Although born poor and illegitimate, Hamilton courts the daughter of Major General Schuyler, an American princess.
Hamilton is one of a trinity of Founders who seem to have been created on purpose to invent our natio
Mass Market Paperback, First, 428 pages
Published April 25th 2015 by Books We Love (first published March 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Master Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Master Passion

Barbara Cerda
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

Book Review

Impressions

In British West Indies a little over 50 years from its beginnings, Alexander Hamilton was born. It is hard to describe this amazing man living both a structured and unstructured life. Weaving enhanced accounts of his career into compelling storylines isn’t irresistible…but this author offers a fascinating read.

I’ll admit to a lack of interest in our glorious and at times shallow history – compared to older cultures. At best, stories about a nascent Americana can be sometim
Isabella
I had already read a fictional biopic on Richard III by this author (Roan Rose) and given my previous honestly negative experience I dreaded what she could write about the Hamiltons, especially with respect to Hamilton's notorius affair with Maria Reynolds.

Well, thankfully Alexander Hamilton wrote so much about himself already that this author was probably forced not to stray too much from the beaten track, even if I personally do not agree with the overall picture of the Hamiltons’ marriage as
Juliet Waldron
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis

A Master Passion is the story of our brilliant first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, and his wife, Betsy Schuyler. It begins with their Revolutionary War courtship. Although born poor and illegitimate, as an Aide de Camp to General George Washington, Hamilton dares to reach, boldly pursuing Betsy, daughter of a wealthy and prominent New York family.
After the war, Hamilton engages in nation building. Like all mission-driven men, he is preoccupied, often absent, and not th
Jenny Hawley
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
After developing an obsession with the musical Hamilton, I wanted to learn more about Eliza/Betsy Hamilton. My search led me to this book, which citing an impressive amount of research. So, it turns out the musical took a lot of liberties, but that's to be expected. This book was very interesting and told a story balanced between Hamilton and his somewhat long-suffering wife. If you are interested in Hamilton and not quite ready for the Chernow tomb, this might be a good read for you.
Leslie Goddard
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted this one to work, but it just didn't. I agree with the reviewer who said it alternated between a historical romance novel and a dry biography. The characters never really came to life for me. And it's not helped by poor proof-reading. I slogged through it, but never really felt like it engaged for me. I never was drawn to pick it up.
Wendy
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. Some parts read like a romance novel and some parts read like a very dry historical biography. Overall I enjoyed it even if I had to force myself to slog thru some paces.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Great historical fiction! I was a little worried when I started this book, not sure if it was my taste, but I was soon engaged and found it difficult to put down. I highly recommend this historical novel. Thanks to Goodreads for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Shadyl717
May 13, 2015
Lacy
Oct 08, 2016
Pam Peters
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2017
  • Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • The Baseball: Stunts, Scandals, and Secrets Beneath the Stitches
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Unlimited Access: An FBI Agent Inside the Clinton White House
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Eleanor
  • American Tragedy
  • A Good Man: Rediscovering My Father, Sargent Shriver
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Spanking the Donkey: Dispatches from the Dumb Season
Juliet Waldron was baptized in the Yellow Spring of a unique Ohio farm town. After some years in an upstate New York farmhouse with a resident ghost, she began to travel with her Auntie Mame mother, who flamboyantly adored history and grand opera.

Returning to the States, got married and raised sons, eventually working at jobs ranging from artist's model to power-suited Merrill Lynch “girl.” Then,