Start by marking “The Hunter's Kind (The Hollow Gods, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter's Kind  (The Hollow Gods, #2)

The Hunter's Kind

(The Hollow Gods #2)

The stunning second novel in the blazing new epic fantasy series The Hollow Gods, which began with Smiler’s Fair.

Born in tragedy and raised in poverty, Krishanjit never aspired to be anything greater than what he was: a humble goatherd, tending his flock on the slopes of his isolated mountain home.

But Krish has learned that he's the son of the king of Ashanesland - and the
Published July 2nd 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton

Kaitlin
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
I received this for free from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so stunning in every way. I read Smiler's Fair earlier this year and I really enjoyed seeing the connections between such a variety of characters and their pasts and cultures. This is somewhat similar to a cross between Game of Thrones and The Night Circus with dashes of Military and Tribes thrown in. Unlike Game of Thrones we have a gritty world of travelling people all from various places, cultures and
Paul
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting world and a stunning story with a great set up. Multiple POVs across both sides of a developing war manage to be set up and handled without ever becoming over complicated or convoluted. The characters themselves are well developed and all draw you in.
This book managed to be always interesting and a pleasure to read
Aoife
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

It's been a long time since I read The Smiler's Fair which follows several characters including a boy called Krish who is apparently the 'Moon God reborn'. The Hunter's Kind follows on after a terrible fire had ripped through Smiler's Fair, Krish is on the run with his warrior friend Dao Hyo and a mage Olufemi looking for somewhere safe to stay while his enemies rally to take him down.

I thought I would be really lost going into this as the story of The Smiler's Fair was really, really f
Matthew
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly hope this hidden gem of a series eventually gets the massive audience it deserves.

The story goes in directions I couldn't predict, with a fantastic new character addition in Cwen. I find myself rooting for every character on both sides - I'm both Team Moon and Team Sun. But they all may be evil. There may be no story with more shades of grey.

An abrupt ending (in a good way) that leaves me wondering how the third book will end the series. Or if it's even the end of the series.

If you li
Liz Barnsley
The first novel in this series. Smilers Fair, was one of my favourite fantasy reads of last year so I was extremely keen to find out what happened next and I was not disappointed – if anything I liked this one even more.

What I love most about these stories is the intensity and depth of culture and background Rebecca Levene brings to her characters and setting- there is a lot going on, a beautifully imagined world of Gods and magic, a complex mix of morals and adventure that is gripping in the ex
Rhoda
Everything I hoped it would be. Brilliant!
Ale
Read as part of the r/fantasy Book Bingo Challenge 2018 for the "Book with <2,500 Goodreads ratings" category. Hard Mode for this square required a book with fewer than 500 ratings.

The rating is actually closer to 4.5 stars

Such a shame that this book isn't better known about! When I first read Smiler's Fair two years ago, I remarked on the originality of the worldbuilding and how, once Levene got going, she managed to create an engaging work of fiction that really turns the "goatherd boy p
Corey James Soper
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fascinating exercise in world-building and a work of considerable imagination, but the actual story tends to get lost in exposition and travelogue. With the protagonist overcoming his own lack of assertiveness through the book, there's very much a sense that things happen to the characters and they drift along in the passenger's seat. There's very little tension, and the events of the novel pile up like sediment with no real drama or engagement.

A number of characters feel increasingly superflu
Blodeuedd Finland
Apr 27, 2017 marked it as dnf
Book 1 was good, but I should have listened to that inner voice that said that it was just ok at times. Which it was. But then it got good, and then ok. I remember not liking any of the characters that much and I must have been in a good mood when I decided to give it another go. Cos...not even skimworthy and that is bad
Ethan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Harris
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book through Bookbridgr.

When I discovered that Levene's Smiler's Fair was to have a sequel, I was delighted but a bit nervous. (I should warn you now that there are spoilers below for Smiler's Fair - if you haven't read it, stop now, get a copy and read it. Then come back and carry on... here.)

The titular fair had knitted together a large number of characters as it travelled the lands of the Sun and the Moon, some of them delightful, so
Ellie
As the title suggests, The Hunter’s Kind focuses more on those who follow the Hunter and the sun god Mizhara rather than the moon god. As the book opens, we are introduced to Cwen, a young girl who has been marked to become a Hawk, a servant to the Hunter. We learn much more about this presumed god who was only a fleeting presence in the first book and about the people who serve her.

There are a lot more revelations up at Salvation too. This was the element of the first instalment that I wasn’t s
Denise
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Having learned that he is both the king's son and the moon god reborn, Krish is on the run from his father's troops with his companions Dae Hyo and Olufemi, searching for a safe place to stay and allies to help them defeat their enemies. Meanwhile, the followers of Mizhara, the sun goddess, gather in their own camp, assembling a force they hope will be strong enough to overcome the evil they believe Krish represents.

I didn't enjoy this as much as the first book. I didn't like Krish or Olufemi mu
Christopher Martin
I really enjoyed Smiler's Fair. I was excited for the follow-up, to see what would happen next in this world which I thought was quite exciting and unique. Sadly, though we saw a great deal more of the world and its peoples and I cannot say I did not enjoy the book, a lot of it fell pretty flat to me. The characters who I had grown to appreciate in the previous book were turned sour and given little development while I was much more sympathetic to their opponents. The unexpected twists and turns ...more
Jess
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sprawling, imaginative and violently engrossing fantasy, Hunter's Kind followed in the wake of Smiler's Fair with none of the struggle sequels often have. I could not have dreamt up the convergence of the many threads of plot and was gripped to the end in seeing how they twined together and came to their close. I can only say now that I am anxiously waiting to find out how this all ends!
(I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.)
Michael
Hmm, mixed feelings on this one, certainly not as good as the first and it felt like the second book in a trilogy (I think). Lots of filler, a build up to an event which seems large but wasn't as big as the final one will be and an ominous cliffhanger to finish. I didn't feel as immersed in this as I did I the first and some of the locations felt a bit blurry and ill defined. That said I'll read the next one. Solid 3.
Alister Black
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The standard 'goat-herder is really a God' tale. Except...this cast of characters includes rent boys, serial killers and their Princess hangers-on, socially awkward girl blacksmiths, morbidly obese scholars and my favourite, Conan the alcoholic. What's not to like?
Jade
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a brutally epic battle at the end.
Review to come.
Alisha Tarran
So, some of you may remember my Smiler's Fair review? I raved about it in an overly long review because I loved every page of it. I was so incredibly excited to find out there would be a sequel, I knew I had found another fantastically epic series to throw myself in to, and I couldn't get enough of the world or the characters. As with the first book, this sequel blew all my assumptions away and kept me surprised until the end, and with the ending of Game of Thrones, I really did need a fantasy t ...more
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
My Thoughts On The Book:

The Plot Of The Story:
The Hunter's Kind takes up the action directly after the cataclysmic conclusion of Smiler's Fair. The Fair is burning to the ground and Krish, the lost son of the king of Ashaneland flees for his life, away from those intent on capturing him. Krish realises that he has a fight on his hands just to survive, he is the Moon God returned to the lands and has people willing to follow him if he's willing to fight against his murderous father and seize the
Lucy Hounsom
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First published on Fantasy Faction

The Hunter’s Kind is a clever and multi-layered book, which builds magnificently on Smiler’s Fair, the first in The Hollow Gods series. Levene made a name for herself as a new generation fantasy writer, pulling up old tropes like weeds and planting the fresh, bright and compelling ideas that this genre needs to flourish. If you enjoyed the moral complexity and serious themes explored in Smiler’s Fair, you won’t be disappointed.

We pick up where we left off with t
Karen
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it enough to finish it, I guess, but ultimately I don't think multi-stranded multiple POV epic stories are my thing. It's hard to relate to these characters and hard to know who to root for and overall I thought this was a bit too gorey and disturbing for my taste. It's interesting and to a degree I want to know what happens next, but I also...don't care. I finished reading this Trista only so I could strike it off my list and then take my copy to be traded in at a secondhand bookshop.

So
Callum
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a struggle to get through.

Naturally this book carries on from Smiler's Fair and features the same characters - although not to the same detail and beauty as the first. This book lacked depth. When I look back on what was accomplished by every character in this book, it is undeniable that things happened. But whether they actively developed the story or our understanding of the characters is really a bit questionable. As I say, things just happened.

It wasn't until the final fe
Alicia Utter
Rating: 7/10
Pages: 468

This follow up definitely paints a darker picture of what is happening, especially in the City of Mirrors. I love the interplay of the different gods and the main characters, interweaving and messing with their paths.

I enjoyed watching as Krish changes, as he makes his decisions. Looking forward to the end in this trilogy.

Kindle
Scott Waldie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As compelling as the first novel, Rebecca Levene continues to carve out the world of the Hollow Gods, following numerous characters, their plights and flights, and always maintaining that stark, grim tone which has vaulted it into one of the most intriguing fantasy settings around these days.
Emma Sterner-Radley
This second book in the series felt darker and bloodier to me. But I think it sort of needed to be. We were taken deeper into the themes of the story and get to meet some new characters. A good continuation of the story. I can’t wait for part three now!
Marianne
Still got a lot going for it as a series but the annoying habit of the plot happening in the last quarter of the book again was frustrating. Why should I care for these people? I'd rather be invested throughout.
Audra
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 was okay, book 2 was ok which is not enough to get me to continue reading this series if anything else comes down the pike.
Sophia Macs
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Found the first book in a Opp shop and I love both books in the series and i want to hear more about what happends to the characters
Jonathan Crooks
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Well not much has improved upon from my review of the first book in this series. Characters still conform to stereotype and the pace of the novel is still disjointed and never really anchors itself into a solid story. Characters have bad habits of disappearing half way through the novel only to turn up later when you are reminded of them. Only trouble is you've actually lost interest in them by this point as they were never really grounded. As in writing this review even I am remembering a few c ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Iron Ghost (The Copper Cat, #2)
  • The Fyrelit Tragedy (Zarkora #1)
  • The Hush
  • The Dagger's Path (The Forsaken Lands, #2)
  • The Mortal Tally (Bring Down Heaven, #2)
  • The Boy who Wept Blood (Erebus Sequence, #2)
  • Nunslinger: The Complete Series
  • Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2)
  • The Serpent Papers (Serpent Papers Trilogy #1)
  • Witch Hunt (Witch Finder, #2)
  • Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below
  • Faking It (The Intern, #2)
  • The Raven's Shadow (The Wild Hunt, #3)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • Path of Gods (The Valhalla Saga, #3)
  • The Steel Seraglio
  • The Raven's Head
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1)
British author, editor and tv storyliner.
Educated at Clare College, Cambridge.
She has written books for Virgin's Doctor Who line, Abbadon books and Black Flame.
She also writes for Doctor Who Magazine and SFX.

The Hollow Gods (3 books)
  • Smiler's Fair (The Hollow Gods, #1)
  • The Sun's Domain (The Hollow Gods, #3)