Start by marking “Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France” as Want to Read:
Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France

Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France

Fiction. An astronaut quits NASA to paint pictures of the moon; a man builds a star in his basement; an astronomer falls in love with a moose and loses his nose in a sword fight; and an aristocrat adopts two teenage girls in the hopes of raising one to become his perfect wife. Bryan Hurt's stories depict a world of wonder, magic, humor, sadness, and compassion. Wildly ...more
Published October 6th 2015 by Starcherone Books (first published September 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France

Start your review of Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France
Erika Schoeps
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Warning of bias: Bryan Hurt is a professor at my college, and I'm currently in one of his classes. I already know him from my personal interactions as brilliant, funny, and warm. So, it comes as no surprise to me that his work is brilliant, funny, and warm. To me, it doesn't feel like bias, but I figured I would tell people reading my reviews just to be fair.

Another work of indie fiction that I've been blown away by. This is a series of short fiction (some VERY short--a page of two) that moves
Paul Dembina
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to this small collection of short stories via an anthology Bryan Hurt edited called Watchlist: 32 Stories by Persons of Interest (which is also good)
His stories are touching, charming and funny.
Worth consideration
Sam
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
honestly it was just okay. if u want super weird stories like the summary suggests, well... look elsewhere because he kind of makes the scenarios mundane
Nicole Dykeman
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this. I got the chance to sit in on an AWP panel that Bryan Hurt was on and he was a super chill and funny guy, so I bought his book at the book fair. I'm really glad I did - super funny, just weird enough that I loved it.
Paul Wood
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of quirky, concisely written, and, in many cases, moving short stories.
Jenny
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

This is a fun short story collection! Each tale is different; there are historical elements as well as sci-fi ones, believable yarns rooted firmly in reality and others that suspend your disbelief in truly amusing ways. Some of the standouts for me are: The Bilingual School, Moonless, and The Fourth Man.

Hurts narration is quite conversational and unique. He knows how to tell an absorbing, complete story, even if it only spans a few pages. Hes funny and emotional and strange, often all at
Ray
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Strong collection of inventive, minimalist tales from Bryan Hurt. My faves were: The Sadness of Tycho Brahe's Moose, The Fourth Man, and especially, Spooky Action At A Distance, and Moonless.
Michelle Olms
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Nick Jirsa
Feb 17, 2016 marked it as to-read
A lovely story to get you stoked on the collection:
Larissa

• Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • War of Streets and Houses
  • CivilWarLand in Bad Decline
  • Boy Oh Boy
  • A Spanish Short Story: La doble vida de Laura, Intermediate Level #1: A captivating novel to learn, practice and enjoy Spanish (Fun Spanish Short Stories)
  • You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
  • The Parade
  • Atom
  • You Could Do Something Amazing with Your Life [You Are Raoul Moat]
  • Animal Money
  • Instruction Manual for Swallowing
Bryan Hurt is the author of Everyone Wants to Be Ambassador to France, winner of the Starcherone Prize for Innovative Fiction. His fiction and essays have been published in The American Reader, The Kenyon Review, The Los Angeles Review of Books, The New England Review, Tin House, and TriQuarterly. He lives in Colorado.