Start by marking “Can We Live Here?” as Want to Read:
Can We Live Here?

Can We Live Here?

Last week, I was sitting in seven layers (two of them thermal) next to a fire, with a blanket wrapped around me. Now, I am sleeping in kickers and a vest under a fan. Let the mosquitos bite me. They can have me ... Can we live here? ... If I don't become roadkill in the next few days, I'll let you know my thoughts.

In 2009, Sarah and John Alderson quit their full-time jobs
Published August 6th 2015 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Can We Live Here?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can We Live Here?

Start your review of Can We Live Here?
Sarah Alderson
Jul 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It's my new book! My first non-fiction - based on my travel blog of the same name.
If you've ever thought about quitting your job and travelling the world then this might inspire you and hopefully make you laugh too.

I'm doing a signing in London on August 6th at Stanfords too!
Ayunda
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-dont-own
I was at my home, browsing around my mom's bookshelf when I saw this familiar name on a book with a lovely color palette: Sarah Alderson! It's interesting how you can really remember an author's name even years after you last read their book, just because you once met her in person. I met Sarah Alderson in 2013 I believe, at the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival in Bali. I loooved that festival, and I bought two of her books, young adult fiction series called Hunting Lila which I really enjoyed. ...more
Becky Wicks
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
I'm a huge fan of Sarah Alderson's work so I was really excited to read her first non-fiction - a book about travelling in search of a home for her and her family. It's based on her blog of the same name and is a series of diary entries, mostly about life in Bali. I laughed out loud throughout this book, and having lived in Bali I could relate to a lot of Sarah's experiences - she really brings to life the scenery, the customs, the people, the craziness of cultures clashing and it's definitely a ...more
Celia Moontown
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you have read any of previous reviews you will know of my obsession with Mila Gray's (aka Sarah's) NA books. It started off with noticing Come Back To Me (Book 2/Spin off: This Is One Moment) in my local library. After devouring it in utter bliss, I learnt a bit more about the author's life and the too-good-to-be-true journey she took with her husband to finding a new home in the tropics. My god I thought, you are actually living my dream... reading and writing YA and NA in Bali? Who could as ...more
Cindy Johnson
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Made it halfway through. Can't do it. I adore travel and adventures and I am open to one day relocating to an exotic location, but this just seemed so incredibly self-centered. Lots about her daughter peeing? Not much about the incredible places and people I'm sure she encountered. Breaking point was her complaining about fat Americans and people who smile in Disneyland.
Give me a fat, well-traveled, interesting, intelligent American over someone whose only interest is where her daughter will pe
Felicity
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read this year - possibly ever. It's incredibly well written, well thought out, witty, and completely inspiring.
Meryl
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction, memoir
Saw this while traveling in Bali and remembered how I enjoyed reading the author's Lila series. Being a travel junkie and a sucker for travel memoirs, I picked up a copy in Periplus before heading home. I enjoyed reading about her trip around the world and seeing Bali from her perspective. This book is funny and witty, but it also comes out as whiney.

Not book related: I'm honestly a little appalled with her outbursts on raising a kid but hey, I'm not a parent so who am I to judge. The kid also
Charlotte Betts
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I loved this book. Sarah reminded me so much of myself. It was witty, honest and I can't wait to try one of her fiction books. I have The Sound. I hope it is as good as this one.
Fiona
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easy read funny and having visited Bali could totally relate!
Rebecca Schaft
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lastig om te begrijpen, hoe een boek, over zo'n persoonlijke queeste, zo onpersoonlijk kan zijn. De schrijfster heeft humor en flair, maar lijkt de wereld om haar heen buiten zichzelf te plaatsen. Als een gebruiksvoorwerp. Haar man speelt een bijrol in haar materiële bestaan. Haar kind is een belangrijk item, maar meer omdat het zo lijkt te horen. Naar het einde to komt er iets van verandering in. In de laatste twintig pagina's vindt een prachtige reflectie plaats op wie haar dochter is en haar ...more
Joanne Schofield
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting non fiction account of a time where the author said 'f*ck it' and upped sticks with her husband and young daughter to travel the world, all the while pondering where they could settle down.

The book is set out in the style of blog posts so it's a bit different, and I wasn't too keen on it at first. Obviously I don't mind that style in an actual blog but in a book, oh no, it's not right. But then I got used to it and actually it was a great book to dip in and out of.
Bethany
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I surprised myself with how much I actually enjoyed this. I found the perspective really interesting, especially with having a small child with them travelling as that's something you don't often find with travel books. If the Alderson's ever do a Can We Live Here 2 I'd be very interested, especially in Alula.
Lucy
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book ever! I bought this is Bali at the start of a 6 month world trip with my partner. We agreed if we ever had a daughter we would call her Alula after my favourite book, read at such a special time in our lives. And we did! We fell pregnant and had a daughter 3 months ago. Alula Rose Dainty 😊
Citra Oktaviani
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although the book is more of self centered and a bit boring in some parts of the book, but it has unpredictable ending and encouragement of how Sarah found a home. Like what written on the book, it’s good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end”
Donna
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not great but ok, some of it sparked my intrigue to see Bali but was not my favourite read.
Zora
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5
Ivana
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Her style did make me laugh out loud a couple of times but I don't feel like reading more of the same author :(
Marie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I lived this same story and can appreciate every thought and feeling Sarah had reading this book....only one year was enough for me. Very funny and very real.
Emilia
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting autobiography where Alderson explores what life can be when one breaks the traditional shackles of society and sets off to live a different type of life. Doing what many adults fantasize about, Alderson and her family leave England to explore different countries to find a home better suited to their values and desired lifestyle. This is definitely an interesting book as it explores both the benefits and romantic notions of a nomadic life, as well as the crippling anxiety and self- ...more
Christelle
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Can We Live Here? is my first book of Sarah Alderson. I bought a Kindle version of this non-fiction book thinking about how I can relate to the experience of Sarah. When I first opened this book, I had just resigned from my job because I no longer felt able to do something that I hated. Like Sarah, I decided to quit and so, in the beginning of Can We Live Here?, I felt very closed to Sarah's feelings.

When she talked about her fear to be unemployed and her scare to try something new, I was totall
joanne connolly
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes me feel wanderlust...

I stumbled across this book by accident. I'd just read a pretty hard going book and my head was a bit wrecked so I saw Ah, beach, holiday, pretty that will cheer me up!
I fully expected chick lit nonsense, what I actually got was a funny, honest portrayal of mothers motherhood, being a woman and of course travelling the world. I only took a star off as I kept waiting for you to go back to nice parts of Mexico and it didn't happen. Emigration to Mexico is our lottery pla
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Sarah Alderson's first non-fiction title charts her escape from the rat race of London to a new adventure, trying to find a home somewhere in the world with her husband and young daughter. As they travel through places such as India, Bali, Singapore and Australia, she contemplates finding the perfect place to settle in and put down new roots.

I am not a big traveller myself and I definitely don't have the travel bug but what I could identify with in the book was Sarah's musings on escaping the t
Evangeline
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somehow many travel writers and bloggers seem to be able to make the most interesting things in the world sound dull, but this writer injects some personality and acerbic wit and I loved the results...for the most part. The writer comes across as very self-centred, mostly this was entertaining, but from time to time I was gobsmacked.

I was surprised how quickly they stopped travelling around and settled down in Bali, but I enjoyed reading about their life there too. And the added element of them
Sunita Thind
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book though it has it's entertaining And creative bits is quite try hard in my opinion.
Why do I want to hear about this woman's daughter constantly ! The way she downgrades Malaysia I don't agree with. I love the book 'How not to travel the world' which is a great travel book. But this book had left me wishing I hadn't bothered buying it. It falls flat for me.
Anne
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
très drôle. une famille londonienne va vivre à Bali et l'auteure nous raconte avec beaucoup d'humour leurs aventures. un très bon moment
Andy Davidson
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun travel book about a project to find a paradise to live in. Recommended for anyone who has thought about living abroad. The book is actually a collections of blog posts.
Ksenya Kopeetskaya

• True to Me
  • A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding
  • The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel
  • Floating Twigs
  • Right Behind You (DCI Tom Douglas, #9)
  • The Mourning After
  • This Won't End Well
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • What We Forgot to Bury
  • The Betrayals
  • More Than You Know
  • The Boys in the Boat: by Daniel James Brown (Trivia-On-Book)
Having spent most of her life in London, Sarah quit her job in the non profit sector in 2009 and took off on a round the world trip with her husband and princess-obsessed daughter on a mission to find a new place to call home. After several months in India, Singapore, Australia and the US, they settled in Bali where they lived for five years.

She finished her first novel, Hunting Lila (winner of th

News & Interviews

“My biggest fear about leaving this all behind was that I would lose my identity. But I don't feel I have. What I feel is unfettered.” 0 likes