Start by marking “Can We Live Here?” as Want to Read:
Can We Live Here?

Can We Live Here?

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Last week, I was sitting in seven layers (two of them thermal) next to a fire, with a blanket wrapped around me. Now, I am sleeping in kickers and a vest under a fan. Let the mosquitos bite me. They can have me ... Can we live here? ... If I don't become roadkill in the next few days, I'll let you know my thoughts.

In 2009, Sarah and John Alderson quit their full-time jobs
Published August 6th 2015 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Can We Live Here?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can We Live Here?

Sarah Alderson
Jul 02, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
It's my new book! My first non-fiction - based on my travel blog of the same name.
If you've ever thought about quitting your job and travelling the world then this might inspire you and hopefully make you laugh too.

I'm doing a signing in London on August 6th at Stanfords too!
Ayundabhuwana
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-dont-own
I was at my home, browsing around my mom's bookshelf when I saw this familiar name on a book with a lovely color palette: Sarah Alderson! It's interesting how you can really remember an author's name even years after you last read their book, just because you once met her in person. I met Sarah Alderson in 2013 I believe, at the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival in Bali. I loooved that festival, and I bought two of her books, young adult fiction series called Hunting Lila which I really enjoyed. ...more
Becky Wicks
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
I'm a huge fan of Sarah Alderson's work so I was really excited to read her first non-fiction - a book about travelling in search of a home for her and her family. It's based on her blog of the same name and is a series of diary entries, mostly about life in Bali. I laughed out loud throughout this book, and having lived in Bali I could relate to a lot of Sarah's experiences - she really brings to life the scenery, the customs, the people, the craziness of cultures clashing and it's definitely a ...more
Celia Moontown
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you have read any of previous reviews you will know of my obsession with Mila Gray's (aka Sarah's) NA books. It started off with noticing Come Back To Me (Book 2/Spin off: This Is One Moment) in my local library. After devouring it in utter bliss, I learnt a bit more about the author's life and the too-good-to-be-true journey she took with her husband to finding a new home in the tropics. My god I thought, you are actually living my dream... reading and writing YA and NA in Bali? Who could as ...more
Cindy Johnson
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Made it halfway through. Can't do it. I adore travel and adventures and I am open to one day relocating to an exotic location, but this just seemed so incredibly self-centered. Lots about her daughter peeing? Not much about the incredible places and people I'm sure she encountered. Breaking point was her complaining about fat Americans and people who smile in Disneyland.
Give me a fat, well-traveled, interesting, intelligent American over someone whose only interest is where her daughter will pe
Felicity
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read this year - possibly ever. It's incredibly well written, well thought out, witty, and completely inspiring.
Meryl
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction, memoir
Saw this while traveling in Bali and remembered how I enjoyed reading the author's Lila series. Being a travel junkie and a sucker for travel memoirs, I picked up a copy in Periplus before heading home. I enjoyed reading about her trip around the world and seeing Bali from her perspective. This book is funny and witty, but it also comes out as whiney.

Not book related: I'm honestly a little appalled with her outbursts on raising a kid but hey, I'm not a parent so who am I to judge. The kid also
Charlotte Betts
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I loved this book. Sarah reminded me so much of myself. It was witty, honest and I can't wait to try one of her fiction books. I have The Sound. I hope it is as good as this one.
Fiona
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easy read funny and having visited Bali could totally relate!
Rebecca Schaft
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lastig om te begrijpen, hoe een boek, over zo'n persoonlijke queeste, zo onpersoonlijk kan zijn. De schrijfster heeft humor en flair, maar lijkt de wereld om haar heen buiten zichzelf te plaatsen. Als een gebruiksvoorwerp. Haar man speelt een bijrol in haar materiële bestaan. Haar kind is een belangrijk item, maar meer omdat het zo lijkt te horen. Naar het einde to komt er iets van verandering in. In de laatste twintig pagina's vindt een prachtige reflectie plaats op wie haar dochter is en haar ...more
Beth
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I surprised myself with how much I actually enjoyed this. I found the perspective really interesting, especially with having a small child with them travelling as that's something you don't often find with travel books. If the Alderson's ever do a Can We Live Here 2 I'd be very interested, especially in Alula.
Marie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I lived this same story and can appreciate every thought and feeling Sarah had reading this book....only one year was enough for me. Very funny and very real.
Christelle
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Can We Live Here? is my first book of Sarah Alderson. I bought a Kindle version of this non-fiction book thinking about how I can relate to the experience of Sarah. When I first opened this book, I had just resigned from my job because I no longer felt able to do something that I hated. Like Sarah, I decided to quit and so, in the beginning of Can We Live Here?, I felt very closed to Sarah's feelings.

When she talked about her fear to be unemployed and her scare to try something new, I was totall
joanne connolly
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes me feel wanderlust...

I stumbled across this book by accident. I'd just read a pretty hard going book and my head was a bit wrecked so I saw Ah, beach, holiday, pretty that will cheer me up!
I fully expected chick lit nonsense, what I actually got was a funny, honest portrayal of mothers motherhood, being a woman and of course travelling the world. I only took a star off as I kept waiting for you to go back to nice parts of Mexico and it didn't happen. Emigration to Mexico is our lottery pla
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Sarah Alderson's first non-fiction title charts her escape from the rat race of London to a new adventure, trying to find a home somewhere in the world with her husband and young daughter. As they travel through places such as India, Bali, Singapore and Australia, she contemplates finding the perfect place to settle in and put down new roots.

I am not a big traveller myself and I definitely don't have the travel bug but what I could identify with in the book was Sarah's musings on escaping the t
Evangeline
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somehow many travel writers and bloggers seem to be able to make the most interesting things in the world sound dull, but this writer injects some personality and acerbic wit and I loved the results...for the most part. The writer comes across as very self-centred, mostly this was entertaining, but from time to time I was gobsmacked.

I was surprised how quickly they stopped travelling around and settled down in Bali, but I enjoyed reading about their life there too. And the added element of them
Sunita Thind
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book though it has it's entertaining And creative bits is quite try hard in my opinion.
Why do I want to hear about this woman's daughter constantly ! The way she downgrades Malaysia I don't agree with. I love the book 'How not to travel the world' which is a great travel book. But this book had left me wishing I hadn't bothered buying it. It falls flat for me.
Anne
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
très drôle. une famille londonienne va vivre à Bali et l'auteure nous raconte avec beaucoup d'humour leurs aventures. un très bon moment
Andy Davidson
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun travel book about a project to find a paradise to live in. Recommended for anyone who has thought about living abroad. The book is actually a collections of blog posts.
Ksenya Kopeetskaya
Jun 21, 2016
Siobhan
Feb 04, 2016
Nicola Hartley
Aug 15, 2016
Larisa Bocman
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2015
Zahra Young
Apr 16, 2017
Lisa Kusel
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical, honest, and sharp as a tack. Alderson is a great writer. Loved traveling along with her. I think I'll go give her YA books a read, too.
Debo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What We Talk about When We Talk about the Tube: The District Line
  • Paris Noir: The Secret History of a City
  • Walks through Lost Paris: A Journey into the Heart of Historic Paris
  • Out of Order (The Survivor's Club, #1)
  • An Englishman in Paris: L'education Continentale
  • Paris Vagabond
  • The Mammoth Book Of Travel In Dangerous Places
  • How to Make a Tornado: The strange and wonderful things that happen when scientists break free
  • The Fatal Impact
  • Devin December
  • The Chains of Heaven: An Ethiopian Romance
  • The Last Time I Saw Paris
  • Horizontal Collaboration: The Erotic World of Paris, 1920-1946
  • Florence, A Delicate Case (The Writer and the City)
Having spent most of her life in London, Sarah quit her job in the non profit sector in 2009 and took off on a round the world trip with her husband and princess-obsessed daughter on a mission to find a new place to call home. After several months in India, Singapore, Australia and the US, they settled in Bali where they lived for five years.

She finished her first novel, Hunting Lila (winner of th
“My biggest fear about leaving this all behind was that I would lose my identity. But I don't feel I have. What I feel is unfettered.” 0 likes