Start by marking “Cinders' Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinders' Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #1)

Cinders' Bride

(Mail Order Brides of Texas #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,365 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Shannon McMurphy travels to Asherville, Texas as a mail order bride expecting to marry a rancher. Instead, her intended is a saloonkeeper. Her refusal to marry enrages John Hardy and he slices her cheek with a knife so no other man would want her. She runs into the street and no one helps her until blond, blue eyed Cinders rescues her.

Sexy, rancher Cinders saves Shannon
Published July 2nd 2015 by Forever Home

To ask other readers questions about Cinders' Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinders' Bride

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Cinders' Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #1)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
Cinder's Bride really pissed me off. Poor Shannon was a total doormat. Shannon was tricked by John Hardy a Saloon keeper to come marry him. Of course he never planned to marry her, just sell her body at his saloon and then give her to a Indian for a toy. When Shannon found out she was tricked and confronted John he cut her face up and then planned to rape and sell her. Cinder at first seemed like a good guy. He stopped John and married Shannon himself. Now here is were it goes south for me. He s ...more
Lynn
I'ver never read a wild west historical because I've long suspected that they wouldn't be my thing. Since this was free I decided to give it a chance. From the description you'd think it had a nice guy hero so I thought that might make it more palatable.

This has got to be one of worst books I've read in a while. The hero saves the heroine, Shannon at the beginning of the story from the cartoonish, mustache twirling, cackling villain...uhm, I mean saloon guy John. John had ordered a mail order br
Cathy Brockman
Cinder’s bride is set in the old west. Shannon has decided being a mail order bride is better than having to go to the work houses after her parents were killed. She is raised in the bad neighborhoods of New York City and used to danger but nothing has prepared her for what’s in store for her in the west.
She learns her first lesson the hard way when her so call husband is not a handsome wealthy rancher but a saloon owner. When she defies him he cuts her face scaring her. Still she holds strong a
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cowboy-mc
This book gave me SERIOUS whiplash. One minute the h was happy, sad, hurt and then right back to happy. The H was nice/polite one minute and the next would be furious and acting like a huge douche bag?!?!?!

There is nothing I hate more than having MCs in books that can't make up their minds. I understand that sometimes the author will use this melodrama to move the plot along or to add some angst and emotional turmoil but there is nothing appealing about adults who say yes but mean no. (this isn'
Barbara
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this all in one night.... not that it was short, mind you! It was a good length but I couldn't put it down and read for over 3 hrs and didn't get to sleep until 2 a.m. I loved Cinder. He is the hero you dream about. I felt so angry at her "intended" for what he did in chapter one. I don't want to spoil this for other readers, but he is a cruel, mean character and at first I wondered about his actions. Too harsh? Not for that time and place. It was very appropriate and believable. Did I fi ...more
Sandie Grise
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I've listened to an audible book by Kathleen Bell and it won't be the last!
This story took on such a powerful countenance with narration. You could feel the emotions coming through as the narrator spoke. Julie Hoverson did a wonderful job as narrator.

You feel for the plight of our heroine of this book as she's finding out the hard way that no one is quite as they appear to be. Remember this is the Wild West not modern day. A woman has limited means of employment.

So muc
ysar
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-copy, series
centralpickshijackedbyysar

Seeking to better her lot in life, Shannon responds to an advertisement for a mail order bride and soon finds herself on the train to Texas. Expecting to marry a rancher, she’s horrified to learn that her intended is a depraved brothel owner. Refusing his offer of marriage seems like the only safe option, but he doesn’t take her rejection well, pulling a knife and leaving her bleeding in the street. But before he can make good on his vile promises, a handsome cowboy steps in…

But... As much as I
Natalie Alder
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story

Cinder is a good man and a romantic cowboy who has had some heart break and sadness in his life.
Gloria Antypowich
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Kathleen Ball’s writing—I believe I have read all of her books. Cinder’s Bride was a change up for her. It is a historical western romance novel set in post civil war Texas.
I will confess that at first I had a bit of difficulty relating to the shift in her writing, but there was a great deal about the book that I liked.
I found Shannon McMurphy’s character to be believable, and I could sympathize with her insecurities and understand where she came from. She had made the choice
Widala
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

A very sweet love story.
Shannon was a headstrong woman but she managed to adapt without losing herself. And though she had dreams and wants but she always grateful of what she did have.
Cinders may had caused some pain to Shannon but you can't really hate him for he's not malicious, only doing things the way he knows and reacting out of experience. And he's not afraid to apologize and change his way when he learned that he's wrong.
Overall it's enjoyable, but there's some iss
Jane
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Actual rating 1.5 stars.

Did I read a different book than every other reader here on Goodreads and Amazon? Everyone seems to praise the book to heaven and back while I found it to be both too simplistic and over the top at the same time. I didn't really enjoy the experience I had with this Kindle freebie (it was free when I acquired my copy on December 20th, 2015) and I fail to understand the appeal everyone else is praising ...

More of my thoughts on this book can be found link: HERE.
V.L. Locey
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was quite an enjoyable historical western romance novel. Generally I don`t read many books in this genre but the cover and description of Cinders' Bride captured my attention. I found myself swept up into a lovely little romance tale with enjoyable characters, sweet dialog, timid love scenes (timid in comparison to my usual reads) and a good feel for the era and setting. Any fan of the genre should enjoy this latest from Ms. Ball. ...more
Sharon Obelenus Holland
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read!!

If you like the old western romances this is for you. Imagine, taking the chance of going west to marry a stranger that owns a ranch, only to find out he's a lying sleazy saloon owner. That is what Shannon is facing. When she decides she won't marry him he cuts her face. But luckily Cinders is in town. After talking to the judge about the attack, Cinders and Shannon marry to protect her. But sometimes there are hidden things that you can't be protected from.
Bigedsgirl1
Kathleen Ball has a way of writing characters that interact in ways that draw her readers in and make them feel a part of the story immediately. The way Cinders comes to the rescue of Shannon is exactly what one would expect from a rugged rancher with no tolerance for cruelty to women. The impact of that first encounter between them and its effect on a small western town makes for a satisfying beginning to a captivating story that you don't want to miss out on! ...more
Hot Reading Mom
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shannon is a young heading West to marry. She arrives and things are not as promised. This small town is full of righteous people who make judgement based on gossip. Cinder the hero in this saga is no better. Just when I thought we would finally get some understanding the story was wrapped up in a big HEA. Not her best work but ok.
Cheri Snuggs
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good western romance

I really liked Shannon. I liked Cinders too but he was pretty hurtful at times also. I thought it was a good story but would have been even better if there wasn't so much hurt to Shannons feelings and more in-depth emotion into a loving relationship. It was a good short read.
Keri
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cinders

Good story about saving a woman from a abusive mean man and even when he cuts her Cinders doesn't care what is on inside that counts
Vikki Vaught
Sweet western romance. I thoroughly enjoyed the romance between Cinders and Shannon.
Connie Sturgill
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cinders Bride

Absolutely loved this book. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author. It was a lovely story that I couldn't put down.
Maggi Andersen
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Poorly written with a very messy plot. I got it for free, and it was a quick read, otherwise I would have been very disappointed.
Phycilla Gable
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazon review

Excellent book. Very well written with good plot and interesting characters.
A good love story, with very interesting twists. And thankfully, basically clean.
Becky Hedge
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cinder's Bride(Maiil Order Brides of Texas)

Excellent book. Highly recommend this book to everyone. Excellent story line kept your interest and attention making it hard to put down.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Guilty pleasure reading at its finest. If you like when your cast just can't seem to understand each other, yet love lingers, and stories of the wild west, this is the quick read for you. ...more
Angie Adair
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars

An enjoyable book. Shannon leaves home expecting to be a mail order bride. But the man she's to marry has lied about who he is.
Ammie
I really liked this book up until the end. It wrapped up to fast for the way that Cinders was treating her as well as the epilogue happened to close to when the story itself finished.
Tammy Ambrose
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Parts of this book were just silly and made no sense.
Deserie williams
Dec 27, 2015 marked it as just-not-for-me-stay-away-hell-no
self note: hero is a big jerk for most of the book. no thank you.
Lori D
The was one of the best stories. Of course I have enjoyed every audible by Kathleen Ball and the start of this series set the stage for many good stories to follow. Mail Order Bride Shannon, desperate to find her place answers an ad. But finds out the man was not who the rancher she expected but a cruel John Hardy who owned the saloon. When Shannon refuses to marry him, he slashes her face and tries to force her to become a "soiled dove" in his establishment. Luckily she is saved by Cinders, a h ...more
Jeffrey
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, though I do like romances that involve cowboys and that western time in history. I feel it took a lot of courage or desperation to travel to an unknown land and culture to marry a man that you'd only exchanged a couple of letters with. I was a shocked by how quickly her intended scarred her and how nobody in town wanted to do anything about it until Cinders stepped in. The relationship between Cinders and Shannon was one of an emotional roller coaster as each kept misreading ...more
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and fun.
I really liked this book. I like Western stories. Cinders and Shannon had many misunderstandings. They were thrown together with very little time to get to know each other. I like that the cook makes friends with Shannon. Cookie is gruff, but he warms up to her when she sticks up for herself. Shannon is brave and strong to come all the way from New York to Texas to be a Mail Order bride. She has to learn about ranch life quickly. There is a lot of danger from the Indians to deal wi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Amy: Mail Order Bride (The Christmas Brides of Jefferson City Book 2)
  • Mail Order Sarah
  • A Desperate Bride For A Gloomy Sheriff
  • The Lady and the Mountain Doctor (Mountain Dreams, #2)
  • Maggie's Christmas Miracle (Westward Home and Hearts Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • Mail Order Grace (Bluebonnet Brides Book 1)
  • The Marked Orphan Bride and a Baby for the Brave Sheriff (Love Against the Odds Book 1)
  • The Doctor's Widow (Mail Order Brides of Nebraska)
  • Cash's Promise: Cowboys of Coulee Crossing (Romancing the West Book 2)
  • Mail Order Bride - Sarah (A Bride for the Lonely Soldier Book 1)
  • Mail Order Bride - Selene (A Bride for the Lonely Soldier Book 2)
  • The Lady and the Mountain Promise (Mountain Dreams, #4)
  • Polly: Mail Order Bride (The Christmas Brides of Jefferson City Book 3)
  • A Christmas Love to Behold: Historical Western Romance
  • Penelope's Pearls (Clover Creek Caravan, #5)
  • Jake's Honor (Romancing the West: Cowboys of Coulee Crossing #1)
  • The Widow and the One-Armed Miner (Love Against the Odds Book 2)
  • Mail Order Bride And The Gift of Children (A Western Historical Romance Book) (Evergreen Frontier)
Best-Selling, Award Winning Author of Contemporary Western Romance and Sweet Historical Western Romance.

Writing is my bliss and I try to write every day. I started with two publishers who I learned a lot from. Now I self publish. I like the control it gives me over release dates and book covers.

Facebook page

Mail Order Brides of Texas (5 books)
  • Keegan's Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #2)
  • Shane's Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #3)
  • Tramp's Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #4)
  • Poor Boy's Christmas with Bonus Book The Greatest Gift (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #5)

News & Interviews