Start by marking “The Knights of Dark Renown” as Want to Read:
The Knights of Dark Renown

The Knights of Dark Renown

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
He was Reynald of Chatillon...

He had killed more than seventy Moslems - men, women and children. His face and his body were stiched with the jagged scars of combat.

He was known to his friends as Prince Reynald and to the Saracens as the Red Wolf of the Desert.

He was the most dangerous man in Palestine.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published 1971 by Ballantine Books (first published June 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Knights of Dark Renown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knights of Dark Renown

Matt Kelland
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A fast-moving, exciting novel set in the turbulent Kingdom of Jerusalem, leading up to the decisive battle of Hattin. The politics and personalities are well portrayed, and seem to be pretty faithful to known historical details. Think of it as a dragonless game of thrones, and you're about right.
Helena Schrader
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-ages
This is fun historical fiction with a cast of colorful characters, lots of dramatic action and exotic settings. I have to admit liking this book — and not just because Balian d’Ibelin is portrayed sympathetically, but it’s neither great literature nor good history. The “bad guys” are a little too bad, for my taste, and the “good guys” are a little too modern. There are scenes that seem totally removed from reality altogether, as when the Baron of Toron frolics at his castle with a squire and his ...more
Chris Lynch
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Marvellous fast-paced blend of historical fact and fiction, covering the disastrous events of 1183 - 1187 in the crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, that precipitated the Third Crusade (covered in the sequel, The Kings of Vain Intent).

Great characterisations of real historical personalities - especially liked Raynald of Châtillon, much better than his depiction in the film 'Kingdom of Heaven' which painted him as something of a buffoon.

I acquired my copy in a box full of books I picked up for next t
Sebastian
A little underwhelmed, to be honest. I know the rest of the story continues in The Kings of Vain Intent but I expected... more.
Dean
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I happened to come across this book and author. fan's of the movie "Kingdom of heaven" will like this book. The characters in the movie are in this book. I have already found and ordered the sequel's to this book. Easy read.
Tim
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very cool and compact historic fiction. First red it back in the 80s. Deserves a reprinting. Graham Shelby - forerunner of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven. Wish I could find a copy now.
Susan
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crusades, baldwin
Baldwin is adorable in it, but it has some historical accuracy issues.
Tamikasipke
A S Moser
May 25, 2009
Dennis Hart
Jun 19, 2011
Graham Shelby (born 1939) is a British historical novelist. He worked as a copywriter and book-reviewer before embarking on a series of historical novels, mainly set in the twelfth century.

Chronological list of works:
The Knights of Dark Renown (1969), set in the Kingdom of Jerusalem during the reigns of Baldwin IV, Baldwin V and Queen Sibylla, majoring on the real-life knight Raynald of Châtillon
More about Graham Shelby...