Start by marking “The Atonement” as Want to Read:
The Atonement

The Atonement

A Must-Have Novel from the #1 Name in Amish Fiction

The mistakes of the past haunt Lucy Flaud, who years ago stopped attending the activities for courting-age young people in her hometown of Bird-in-Hand. Now twenty-five and solidly past the age of Amish courtship, Lucy has given up any hope of marriage, instead focusing her efforts on volunteering in both the Plain and fan
Published March 29th 2016 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Atonement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Atonement

Diamond Jones
Audio Version

Book started off a little slow for me. Things started picking up on disc 3.

Good story to listen to or read.
Ashley (Apt Reader)
3 stars is still "I liked it." People seem to think it's bad when it's 3 stars, when really you just enjoyed it for what it is. 4 and 5 are reserved for "wow" and "amazing" reads.
Christina DeVane
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 on this one. The story didn’t grab me like many books have lately. You’re trying to figure out the backstory to the characters when the book starts which I enjoy, but the characters seemed common and she didn’t get back with the guy until the last 4 pages of the book! 🙄 The forgiveness and family struggles were real and the healing process and truth of God’s Word was on point! 👍
Debi Lantzer
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a twenty five year old unwed Lucy Flaud an Amish girl living in Lancaster County, PA. It begins with mystery and intrigue that will unravel in bits and pieces throughout this novel. As I read this story, I felt that had I known Lucy's past and her mistakes earlier on in the story, I might have enjoyed this novel more but since I didn't know, I felt that I rushed through the story just to find the answers.

Lucy had done something in her past where she made a grave mistake. By
Deanne Patterson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-copy
I always come away with a feeling of peace for having read a Beverly Lewis book!
Janelle
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This review appears on my blog: http://youngaspiringwritersanonymous....

It has been several years since I have read a book by Beverly Lewis, and it was great to revisit the Amish of Lancaster County in this book. It took me a while to get into it, but once I hit the 50 page mark I flew through it because I had to get answers.

Once again, Lewis does a great job of describing the Amish culture. She weaves a tale that should how holding onto the past can hinder moving on in the future. The main char
Deana
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, as you or may not know, depending on if you read my blog or not, Beverly Lewis is one of my "automatic" authors. I read every book that she writes. But, this one may just be my favorite.

This one focuses on Lucy Flaud, a young Amish woman who is almost past courting age. She fills her days with volunteering and helping those less fortunate. Lucy has a wonderful heart but there is an underlying reason that Lucy fills her days, almost frantically. There is a time in her past where she made a
Jen
I hesitate to give this two stars. I've read every single book by Beverly Lewis, with the exception of Love Letters. In my opinion, she is the queen of Amish fiction.

All of that being said, this book frustrated me to no end. I cannot believe how incredibly judgmental these characters were, and sometimes just plain arseholes, let's be honest. As someone who grew up in a religious background (though nothing like the Amish), perhaps that's why it bothers me so much, but I found myself getting incr
Jeanie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Striving to fill an empty heart or to earn favor - favor already given thru grace, it starts with forgiveness towards others and yourself.

Lucy has built a wall of protection around her heart by keeping busy with volunteer work. With the encouragement from her father, she starts to attend a community church small group that deals with grief and loss. Both father and daughter befriend an English man (Dale) who teaches them different lessons. Her parents start to worry that the past will catch up
Jenark
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Atonement is a beautiful story about love, forgiveness, and redemption. It reads, in my opinion, like it's a sequel. As you read through the novel, the back story slowly unfolds.

I found myself greatly sympathizing with Lucy as she reveals her past and struggles with her present and future. On certain issues, I've been in her shoes and how she can function while keeping it all bottled up is beyond me. Perhaps her packed schedule is evidence that bottling up your past isn't healthy.

One thing
Dawn
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking books so far that I have read by Beverly Lewis. This book teaches us that forgiveness is not only for others but mostly for yourself. The story tells the story of Lucy and how she must overcome the past. She fills her time by volunteering at a soup kitchen and a hospice facility to avoid the past. Her father goes to a grief meeting and eventually Lucy goes too. Each have their reasons for grieving and you will be surprised by who her father was grieving. Meanwhi ...more
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
THE ATONEMENT is Ms. Lewis' latest. Not really a romance (despite the back cover copy), this is more women's fiction. The romance is very back burner.

Written in many different points of view, it includes Lucy's, her married sister's, Marty's, her father, Christian's, and others. Some parts of the story were very confusing and I went back and read them twice, three times, sometimes not understanding anyway. I couldn't relate to these characters.

Very slow, this is not the Beverly Lewis book of y
Incorrigible_bibliophile
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beverly Lewis is my go-to when I want a book that will leave me feeling good after I finish the last page. This one does not disappoint. I find the Amish fascinating and Lucy Flaud is such a lovable character that you can't help get attached to her.
Andrea
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit disappointed in this book but I read till the end. I felt like the end was rushed. Will pass on to my friend Rachel who also likes Amish romances.
Danelle Sergent
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and think it's one of Beverly Lewis' better ones. It kept me guessing until the end. Lovely light, summer read. I enjoy her character development in this one.
Christine
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but the story went a bit slow at times. A good story, easy read, mostly well written.

*Was given this book for an honest review.
A. G.
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, romance
The Atonement by Beverly Lewis is about Lucy Flaud, a single Amish girl who has long since given up hopes of marriage, instead focusing her time on charitable works. Mistakes from her past constantly haunt her, and she works furiously in the hopes that she can find a sense of purpose. But when an outsider walks into her family circle, she starts to wonder if maybe some things in her life should change...
I really enjoyed this book. Unlike other Beverly Lewis heroines, Lucy was far from perfect. S
Andrea Everett
This was an experimental read, for sure. I’m compiling application materials for an internship at a publishing company, and as preparation I wanted to read something well beyond my typical realm. I’ve been amused by the presence of Amish romance fiction on library/bargain bin shelves for years, so I figured I’d give this a whirl (I also have a couple weeks off of school, so I can give my brain a break from the heavy modernist novels for a second).

I went into this with few expectations, but I was
e. l. meadows
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this title for a book club. The writing itself is okay, but there's no plot to speak of and little character development, other than to make abundantly clear the characters are Amish or Plain. I'm sure I'm looking at this wrong, but my biggest impression from the book is that the Amish seem intolerant of "Outsiders," as we non-Amish are called. If an Amish person wants to marry an "Outsider," they are shunned/excommunicated from their community and family. I find this difficult to reconci ...more
Lola
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lucy Flaud was beyond courting age in her Amish community.
She wasn't interested in a relationship with Tobe because she
felt she was not good enough. Previously she had been dating
an "Englisher" & became pregnant. Her parents sent her away
where she ended up having a miscarriage.
Now her father has befriended another Englisher who is interested
in learning about the Simple life. They seem to meet often, by
accident. Then her parents start to worry that they are spending
too much time together &
Debbie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atonements

Another excellently written book by Beverly Lewis. Story details included were most appreciated. Beverly goes beyond storytelling with her writings. This is not a short story, but one which explores our humanity's need for atonement, be it self imposed, or God imposed. We have all failed God with our human sins and God is always listening, to our prayers. Beverly delves deeply into Lucy's need for atonement.
All things work together, for good.
Rachel
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started a little slow but in the end it was good. Felt bad for Lucy. In all the characters were good and the writing was well done. I would say it’s a must have though. I’d still recommend though to those who read Amish fiction.
Ellen Coner
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
okay, a little unengaging
Kathy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed it, kept my interest throughout.
Pamela
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book. I cried in some parts
Marg
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2017, amish
Excellent story
Heather
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good book it definitely ended great but in a way I didn’t think the book was going. Such a great read!
Debbie Rojas
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy all Beverly Lewis books and liked this book a lot! Great characters and story lines. Ms. Lewis included non Amish characters that added a full and rich story line. Surprise ending too!
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Amish novel about a young woman trying to atone for her sins even as she meets people outside her community
Crystal Karre
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
page turner
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 20, 2015 11:35AM
  • A Mother's Love
  • An Amish Harvest (The Amish Bachelors, #1)
  • Rebecca's Christmas Gift
  • The Christmas Remedy
  • The Restoration (Prairie State Friends, #3)
  • The Imposter (The Bishop's Family #1)
  • Amish Sweethearts (Neighbors of Lancaster County, #2)
  • A Place at Our Table (Amish Homestead #1)
  • An Amish Harvest
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • Made with Love (Pinecraft Pie Shop #1)
  • When Grace Sings (The Zimmerman Restoration Trilogy, #2)
  • Family Patterns (Patchwork, #1)
  • Upon a Spring Breeze (Every Amish Season, #1)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best