Start by marking “Before Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Before Goodbye

Before Goodbye

Music means more than anything to high school student Cate Reese; it’s also what unites her with Cal Woods. Devoted classical guitar players, Cate and Cal are childhood friends newly smitten by love—until a devastating car accident rips Cal out of Cate’s life forever. Blaming herself for the horrific tragedy and struggling to surface from her despair, Cate spirals downhill ...more
Published January 1st 2016 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about Before Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before Goodbye

Start your review of Before Goodbye
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

This is my first kindle first pick of the month book and I thought this book sounded really good.

I loved how the author wrote a lot of the book almost like poetry. I did think the book was a bit long for me and I love big books, but in this case I don't think it was needed.

Cate and Cal play classical guitars together, Cate is in love with Cal, or so she thinks. Then one night there is a fateful car crash where Cal dies. (This is not a spoiler, it's on the
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Amazon Publishing and NetGalley.)

This wasn’t a bad book, but it was long, and I lost interest.

We had two main characters in this book – Cate dealing with her boyfriend’s death, and David who was dealing with his brother’s suicide, but to be honest I didn’t really connect with them or feel anything for them at all.

The storyline in this was basically about Cate and David’s lives, and I just lost
NMmomof4
1.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: I finished this and questioned what the heck I just read. It was all over the place! The author obviously knows her music, because at times it was so focused on the music aspects that I felt lost (or bored). The h and H were "in love", but I didn't get it at all. The little bit of interaction that we experienced with them was cute, but I felt like we got more interaction between the h and Cal or even Dale (the musician she meets later in the book). I didn't feel any con
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: D

After Cate's longtime friend and new possible love interest dies in a car accident she blames herself and turns to drugs. Even though David's brother committed suicide years ago, he still blames himself. A former athlete, he never expects to fall for his little sister's babysitter, Cate, a classical guitarist. Does this unlikely couple have a chance?

A writer once told me, you write your first draft for yourself, the rest you write with the reader in mind. I don't think debut author Mimi
Liana
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written

There is music and poetry in the writing. The drama and angst and deep thoughts of teenage discovery. The crippling emotion of terrible trauma. Fans of Katie McGarry and Abbi Glines will love this. It is the book If I Stay and Where She Went were hyped to be.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 11, 2016 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: yabc
Well, I tried for sixteen days--sixteen days--and I can't bring myself to get back to this book when I've only finished roughly a quarter of it. The characters are lackluster and the narrative has so much going on--first love, deadly car crash, suicide, child abuse, rape, survivor's guilt, and even more than that--that it can't give the full attention necessary to any of those issues.

Some teens do have to deal with all these things at once, but books that work well and touch more people typical
Lovely
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've never been more in love with a young-adult reluctant romance story as Before Goodbye. I read it in a 12-hour binge even with numerous canine interruptions. I had a specific girl in mind when I read the story and not the one on the cover; mine was very edgy lol.
Read this book and fall in love all over again!
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)

YA novel--Cate and David are drawn together by music and loss. I liked the characters, but the ending seems underdeveloped and the timeline of the narrative is somewhat confusing.
Sarah Laurence
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Before Goodbye by Mimi Cross is a new young adult novel about music, romance, and grief-induced addiction; it will cross over well to an adult audience. After her musical muse dies in a car crash, Cate can no longer play the classical guitar. This 16-year-old sophomore seeks escape in the foggy stupor of Ketamine. David, an 18-year-old wounded athlete, uses sex like a drug to forget the pain of his brother's suicide. These two troubled teens from dysfunctional families bond over their love of in ...more
Cheri
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, kindle-first
I am so glad I chose this as my Kindle First book this month. Not only did I get to read a great book, I also got to know an intriguing new author. I cannot wait to see what else Mimi Cross will do in the writing world.

I had a hard time deciding on 4 or 5 stars. This story is perfect in every way, there were just some writing points that bothered me. While I found the writing beautiful and almost poetic most of the time, there were other times I felt the author was trying to hard. The prose woul
Daria Marshall

The story was all over the place, especially with the random flashbacks that are not really identified as flashbacks. Also, I really couldn't care less about either Cate or David and did not really see the supposed chemistry between them.

The author tried to handle issues like sexual assault, suicide, and teenage drug use, but because she tries to cover all of them, she really doesn't do justice to any of them. She even tries to have a female/female relationship, but again, does not real
Charlotte
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cate Reese, high school classical musician, finds herself in love with her childhood friend, wunderkind guitarist Cal Woods. Just as they both realize this new relationship, tragedy strikes and Cal is gone. Popular boy, David Bennet. has ghosts of his own. The collision of Cate and David's lives lies at the heart of this poetically written, wrenching story. Young love, drugs, regret, family dynamics....This story takes on a so much that will resonate with teen and older readers, and does it well ...more
Jenny Sardi
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected

Wow. So this story was a thrill ride I did not expect. The writing is lovely like a painting, and the characters are real. I love that we didn't not need the details of the tragic events but instead got to the emotions of the events. The ann you for a great book.
Leigh Kramer
Reviewed for Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. (Yes, I'm completely geeking out over getting to be a guest reviewer!) ...more
Cass
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm sad to see that this book has such a low average rating so far -- hopefully that will change upon official release. I thought upon reading the blurb and checking out some initial feedback that it might be a miss for me, but as it was free through Kindle First, I really had nothing to lose by giving it a chance.

It required some perseverance to make it through the first bit of the book and really get into the meat of it, but boy am I glad that I stuck it out. The writing was surprisingly nuanc
Mary
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
much better than the "Before I Go" clone I was afraid it might be

I wasn't sure I wanted to read this as the blurb sounded so much like Before I Go: musician, car accident, loss, grief, huge decision making.... It actually isn't much like that other book at all. For one thing, the story is much more complicated, as there are two people struggling here, David and Cate. Then, too, a big part of the story is violence and the other ways people hurt one another, about being a victim and being complici
Darlene
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aspiring musician and song writer Cate hopes to one day make a career of music. After a summer internship in NY City shadowing the talented Cal, her musical future seems certain. But when Cate loses Cal in a car accident, she blames herself and looks for a way to block out the pain of the accident. And past hurts and pain as well. When her own music no longer works, she enters a slippery world of drugs.
David Bennett – jock, mover, and big brother to Cate’s babysitting charge Kimmy – had a brigh
Christine Lowe
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read About Difficult Issues

Choosing a First Pick of the Month is sometimes hit and miss. I never really know if the book will be good. It may be a genre I don't normally read. There usually aren't many reviews to look at and often the authors are unfamiliar to me. This month was a good pick. If you're looking for a book for a young teenager, don't choose this one. Some of the subject matter is too adult.

The main characters are high school aged with serious issues. One theme that's explored
Katrina Judd
This was a fun, quick read. The writing style is very reminiscent of Ellen Hopkins, an author whom I am find of. If you enjoy reading about young adult romance, depression, and/or music then I recommend this book for when you're in the mood for a shorter, fast read. The biggest plus of this book lies in the wonderful way music and creative energy are described. The way a song or words can move you or create such deep meaning that your mind trails off down exponential paths really made me connect ...more
Samantha Schwerin
Dec 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 1-star
I read a few chapters of this book before giving up. The writing is very lyrical (makes sense with the subject matter)-pretty, but I was lost. It felt like I was back in HS reading poems for class (I am not a poetry buff by any means) and my mind just kept wandering. By chapter 3 I was just staring at the page wondering what the hell I just read.

There is Cate and Cal, then there is David. David's chapter about his accident was very confusing. I thought maybe it was a dream where his brother die
Nwan16
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Temean
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mimi Cross is a musician and an writer and it really shows in this book. She has wove her music into her prose with this debut book.

I started reading a few chapters each night when I went to bed. This worked for a while, until suddenly (somewhere after the first third of the book) I couldn't put the book down. I kept reading until my eyes were too blurry to see any of the text and then I woke up wanting to finish the book so I could go on with my life.

It was cool to see that Mimi mentioned my n
Angeles
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catharsis

Not only does this novel carry you through the emotions of young people as they was their way through some extremely heavy life dealings, it allows you to see through to the truth. We all suffer. Some of our suffering is brought on by not dealing with the truth of matters. Some is brought on by not being able to speak up. Some is brought on because we feel so overwhelmed with emotion, we cannot reach the surface to keep from drowning. We see all of this, and more, in, "Before Goodbye."
Heather Vieiro
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really love long books and this one was so good, it played out like a movie in my head as I was reading. It's the kind of book you can just sink into and feel like you are there. I thought it was going to be an angsty read, and it is, but the book also had so many twists and turns. I was expecting a quiet story about a guitar girl and grief, but instead it was a layered love story, with lots of great characters, and drama. ...more
Lydia
Cross has a strong novel. Cate is learning how she might love her musician friend Cal, when he is killed. David is an unapproachable classmate experiencing his own hell surrounding the suicide of his brother. For Cate and David, the journey is long, difficult and heart wrenching, but arriving out from under with someone by your side can be worth it.

The writing in this book is strong and the story is well-crafted. An excellent read.
Amie
"Time is a horrible, misleading thing. You don't know when it will come apart, when it will be up."

Overall, I did enjoy this book. My biggest gripe is that it tackled SO many great issues, that overall it lacked a little. is hard to effectively cover death, suicide, addiction, and abuse all to the full extent in only 400 pages. That being said, I feel Cates coping with loss/death was covered perfectly. The growth of not only her character but also David's was great.
Ambur
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could not put BEFORE GOODBYE down! I absolutely loved the way the story went between David and Cate's POVs and I loved that Mimi Cross wasn't afraid to tackle some tough subjects in this book. I wasn't always happy with some of the characters' choices but in general I thought that it was a really strong story.

Full review to come!
Lavenia Otts
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young people dealing with death

Cate loses a young man she thinks she loves in a car accident. David is trying to deal with a horrible accident which ended in a friend's death. How can they deal with those horrific accidents and continue to grow?
Kalisha
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

This was such a beautiful and intense book. It was well written and flowed very nicely. The main characters were the stars and everyone else thrown in fit well with them. I really enjoyed reading this book and I loved the story.
Holly
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think the writing in this was beautiful...almost poetic. Such a contrast to the dark themes explored in this book. Because of the drug abuse, rape, neglect, and death, this is definitely a book for older teens or young adults.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Turned Up (Taking Chances, #3)
  • Friction (Legal Affairs, #8)
  • Millionaire Boss (Freeman Brothers #1)
  • My Accidental Forever (Love You Forever, #5)
  • The Truth We Bury
  • The Wreckage of Us
  • Redeeming Gavin (The Callahan Brothers Book 2)
  • Memories in the Drift
  • Where the Lost Wander
  • The Third Best Thing (Fulton U, #3)
  • Something More (The Callahan Brothers Book 1)
  • The Player (The Wedding Pact, #2)
  • The Gambler (The Wedding Pact, #3)
  • The Valentine (The Wedding Pact, #3.5)
  • Bad Girl (Wicked, #2)
  • A Girl From Nowhere (The Firewall Trilogy, #1)
  • Treasured in Turtle Bay (Kailua Marines, #1)
  • Well Hung Over in Vegas

Mimi Cross is an author, singer, and songwriter. She received a Bachelor of Music from Ithaca College and an MA from New York University. She is a performer, a certified music educator, and worked briefly in the music industry. Mimi is also the creator of Body of Writing, a practice that adds an additional dimension to the mind body spirit discipline of yoga: story.

Mimi was born in Toronto and gr