Start by marking “The Light of Hidden Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Light of Hidden Flowers

The Light of Hidden Flowers

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,270 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Book-smart Melissa Fletcher lives a predictable life in her hometown, working behind the scenes for her charismatic father in a financial career that makes perfect sense. But when her dad is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Missy is forced to step up and take over as his primary caregiver and the principal of the firm.

After her father’s death, Missy finds a letter from him in w
Published November 10th 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Light of Hidden Flowers, please sign up.
Judy I think this would be an excellent choice for a mature young teen. It has such mature themes that I would just want to make sure the reader could…moreI think this would be an excellent choice for a mature young teen. It has such mature themes that I would just want to make sure the reader could relate/understand them. It would be a good one to read yourself and discuss with a young teen.(less)

Esil
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2 stars. I probably shouldn’t have read The Light of Hidden Flowers. I expect that many people will enjoy it, but it wasn’t really for me. It’s quite light and predictable. When I started it, I had just finished a very heavy book and something light seemed like the right thing. After a while, my need for something light waned as did my interest. Missy’s mother died when she was four years old. She has always been close to her father and chosen a straight and unadventurous life, working in partn ...more
Kelly
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
See this review on 1776books.net...

What does it mean to really live? Are we meant to take life by the horns and suck every ounce we can out of it, or is better to just sit back and let others do it? In Jennifer Handford's The Light of Hidden Flowers, the answer is pretty clear, and the main character's journey to this realization is one that readers will love taking with her.

Missy Fletcher is a partner in her father's financial firm. Frank Fletcher is Miss
L.A.
Posted first to Blog Critics as Book Review: 'The Light of Hidden Flowers,' A Novel by Jennifer Handford.

In The Light of Hidden Flowers by Jennifer Handford, we are introduced to a touching and realistic relationship between a father and his daughter. Melissa Fletcher works with her father who she admires for his ability to garner trust and friendship’s with his clients while at the same time seems to have a depth of memory in which to draw upon background information that helps solidify their t
Rob Slaven
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book free for review from the author or publisher in exchange for an honest review. Despite the privilege of receiving a free book, I’m absolutely candid about it below because I believe authors and readers will benefit most from honest reviews rather than vacuous 5-star reviews.

The spoiler-free nutshell on this book is that it is a coming of age story centering on a 35-year-old woman who spent her life as the nerdy bookish sort and never really got out of her shell to find out w
Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn)
Missy Fletcher is a 35 year old woman, introverted, brilliant, and works with her dad in her dad's company as a financial analyst. Her mother died in an accident when she was four, and her dad is very extroverted, well-liked, and gregarious. Though she loves her dad, she tends to feel overshadowed by his personality. Though her dad loves her, he seems to feel that she would be happier if she came out of her shell and learned to take more risks. It seems that everything will go on as it always ha ...more
Maryellen Walter
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this book down. Missy is dealing with her father's ALzheimer and dealing with what she calls her ordinary life. What she does definitely makes her life anything but routine. The only thing missing was more about what happens after she makes so many life changes. More would have been good.
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
Oct 02, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
~Arc was provided as a gift by Netgalley in exchange for honest review~

Thanks Netgalley! <3
Nancy
Brandi
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it. There weren't any huge surprises or anything but I had a feeling of lightheartedness when I finished. I don't want to give any spoilers, but if you read it, you'll be able to predict what happened. One thing I did really like was the prose.
genyvieve
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
"We were born whole; we were born new, and each life experience coated us with another layer. These layers protected us like armor, but they also covered us to the point where we no longer could feel. That was the balance: to open up to the experiences, to strategically place the layers, but to leave the heart open. The heart had to be sent into the front lines every day, naked, unarmed, willing to take fire. That was the only way to live. With risk. On the cusp of dying."
Sophie Cayeux
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This story is a real do-good-and-feel-good story. It is easy to fit in the skin of Missy, the protagonist. She reminds me of loads of ambitious young women, beautiful, intelligent and successful yet always pushing themselves to perfection, working to exhaustion, socially isolated, shying away from intimate relationships and dedicated to the care of their loved ones – and yet they crave for love and life but are too scared to just leave it all and go to taste what it is like beyond their comfort ...more
Janine
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A thought provoking tale of self discovery.

Melissa “Missy” Fletcher was always a good girl and her father’s pride and joy. At thirty-five, she has a successful career as a financial adviser working with her father. She doesn’t care for socializing after work or dating. She prefers her predictable life as it is, working and then going home alone. When she is introduced to Lucas, she decides to give him a chance and they start dating and get serious. But there is one man that Missy will never get
Nayuleska
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is a really emotional read about self-discovery and following your passions in life (after discovering them), something which I'm keen to promote as I follow my dreams of being published! I felt sorry for Missy, it's super hard to get her father to acknowledge that he is having health issues, which does affect a few customers negatively at first. When the acceptance comes he is still stubborn and tries to do more than he is able, making Missy having to cover his mistakes.

When the ine
Sue
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was easily able to sink into the pages of The Light of Hidden Flowers.

I liked the differing POV's that The Light of Hidden Flowers was written from. I liked feeling like I got to know the main characters below the surface...and these characters are deeper than they first appear. I struggled between being frustrated with Missy at times, and at other times my heart ached for her. She is an interesting character and her journey through The Light of Hidden Flowers was one I am glad I took with her
Kara Hansen
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I found with this book that there were a lot of parts I enjoyed, and there were some that I found difficult to get through. While I enjoyed the character of Missy Fletcher, I found that the points of view of the different characters was not consistent~ there were parts where it conveniently flipped from a chapter with Missy, then a chapter with Joe. Then suddenly we don't hear from Joe for a long time, until we are nearing the ...more
Nikki
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tender and lovely.

What a lovely, thoughtful story. Missy Fletcher is the kind of character a lot of people can relate with-someone with dreams but also trapped in the minutiae of a well-established life. The process by which she slowly peeled away the ties that bound her and ventured out into what she really wanted was very organic and very REAL-I think that's what made it so powerful, because I could see not just myself, but many people in her struggle to figure out who she was away from the sh
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister
A charming book about a woman moving past her losses and growing up, even in her 30s. Missy's story was beautifully and uniquely told. It was nice to have a protagonist choose a "different" path for her life from what is typical or expected. I highly recommend this book for fans of women's fiction.
Rosanna
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I was a bit confused as to what this book what trying to be. Was it a romance, coming of age, self-discovery??? I think there was too much going on to be wrapped up in a neat little package. Also, there was too much minutiae about the main character's daily routine.

I was given and advanced copy by NetGalley in exchange for my review.
caroline
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of Goodread's First Reads program. Honestly, the book could have started at page 200 with the letter from her father. The back story was such fluff. Although I did enjoy her fathers messages and meaning of life.
Donna J
I expected more....

When I was reading "The Light of Hidden Flowers" I was getting exhausted with the main character...i felt as if I was yelling at her, but realistically, I was so angry at the author.

The subject matter of Alzheimer's is a sensitive one and emotional, but you add a woman as the caregiver who has convinced herself she has no life, no backbone and it's beaten so much into this book, it's exhausting.

I loved her father as the Alzheimer's patient, yes he was her world but when it b
Michele
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an OK book with OK characters. It wasn't, though, thoroughly engaging. Missy is an introverted, extremely talented financial expert who works with her father in his financial firm. Her life is her father and her work. When she loses the former, she begins searching for what she is missing. Her search takes her to Italy (this episode was much too short for me) and then on to India where she hopes she can use her financial fortune to help others.

The other part of the book is Missy's love
Lacey
Sep 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
*I won this book from goodreads' first reads.

From the goodreads description that led me to enter the giveaway in the first place:

"After her father’s death, Missy finds a letter from him in which he praises her for being a dutiful daughter but admonishes her for not taking any risks in life.

Devastated, Missy packs her suitcase and heads for Italy. There she meets a new friend who proposes a radical idea. Soon, Missy finds herself in impoverished India, signing away her inheritance and betting on
Barbara Weiss
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful, lyrical book

I loved this book. I was initially a bit frustrated with Missy, the main character, but as she grew as a person, I just fell in love with her honesty and her wanting to be more while still being true to herself. The book was very well written and the descriptions of the foods and of India were wonderful. The story is contemporary and deals with our wounded warriors and their struggles with their PTSD and physical issues. It also discusses poverty and abuse of children and
Dawn Combs
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tender and vibrant story of life, love and loss

I see so much of Missy in myself. Well...except for the financial genius part! Odd girl out growing up, being bullied, feeling "less than" all her life and having a parent rub your nose in it in their own well meaning way. I love that she finds her path in life and gets it all. Gives me hope and reminds me its never too late to reach for the stars.
Sally
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
WOW!

This was quite a book. It started out in a fairly predictable fashion, and then built layer by layer to point where I could not put it down; I had to find out what happened next. It has been a long time since I have been so emotionally involved in a book as this. Try not to cry, like I did.
Suzy
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh..I do have to say I finished it, and I enjoyed her writing (that title--right?) I am miffed I guess. I loved her father so much and his love for his daughter was all encompassing I thought and I felt sad as I felt when he became so sick, I felt still sadder that she found her dad to be something less than her hero at the end.
James Shelby
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

What an inspiring work to all of the Missies and Kate's of the world. I think there is to varying degrees aspects of their struggles in all of us. And life does leave its pile of chips.
Loran
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as a light, quick read. Parts of the beginning to middle lag but then things pick up quite a bit towards the end. I grew up in Alexandria so I appreciated the setting and I could easily imagine the financial office.

Anitasaffran
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unpredictable butsatisfying

There are many aspects to this story: places, ages, roles in life, time periods, and all contribute to the richness of experience. Not predictable but satisfying and worth the time and thought.
lynda
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't consider it heavy reading, but there is a very worthwhile point to the story. Kind of a late coming-of-age story. I'll be tracking down whatever else Ms. Handford has written.
  • Johnnie Come Lately
  • The Duke Don't Dance
  • Betty's (Little Basement) Garden
  • The Thing Is
  • Twelve to Murder (Mac Faraday Mystery, #7)
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • Dark Mind (Emily Stone #3)
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)
  • The Foiled Knight
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Martyr's Moon (War of Whispers, #2)
  • The Love of My (Other) Life
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Recovering From Life
  • A Girl Undone (A Girl Called Fearless, #2)
  • The Night Swimmer
  • Peace at the Edge of Uncertainty: Finding Beauty in Mystery, Reclaiming Truth from the Myth of Certainty
A native of Phoenix, Arizona, Jennifer Handford now lives in the Washington, DC, area with her husband and three children. One of three first-place finalists in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest in 2010, she published her first novel, DAUGHTERS FOR A TIME, in 2012. People magazine hailed it as “a wrenching, resonant debut about infertility, cancer and adoption. Grab your hankies.” In 201 ...more
More about Jennifer Handford

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
“We were not born whole; we were born new, and each life experience coated us with another layer. These layers protected us like armor, but they also covered us to the point where we no longer could feel. That was the balance: to open up to the experiences, to strategically place the layers, but to leave the heart open. The heart had to be sent into the front lines every day, naked, unarmed, willing to take fire. That was the only way to live. With risk. On the cusp of dying.” 1 likes
“Until you lose sight of the shore, you’ll never discover new oceans!” 0 likes