Start by marking “The End of Jobs: Money, Meaning and Freedom Without the 9-to-5” as Want to Read:
The End of Jobs: Money, Meaning and Freedom Without the 9-to-5

The End of Jobs: Money, Meaning and Freedom Without the 9-to-5

The rapid development of technology and globalization has changed the leverage points in accumulating wealth: money, meaning and freedom.

Those that don’t adapt are becoming trapped in the downward spiral of a dying middle class - working harder and earning less.

Entrepreneurs that understand the new paradigm, have created unprecedented wealth in their lives and the lives
Published June 28th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The End of Jobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Jobs

Happy Dust
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books about entrepreneurship.
It's packed with brand new ideas and it's well written.
Check my animated book review here:
The End Of Jobs Animated Book Review
Jesse Tevelow
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A New Era of Entrepreneurship is Upon Us. "The End of Jobs," by Taylor Pearson, is a Masterpiece

It was the same old story. Entrepreneur X makes a risky choice, venturing off on his own in lieu of taking a stable job. He learns about the power of working independently, building knowledge, and providing value to others. He writes a book about how you can do it too.

This is the same story Tim Ferriss told us back in 2007 with The Four Hour Workweek. It’s the same story I tell in The Connection Algor
Kevin Koskella
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. At first I thought it would just be an interesting read, from a historical perspective. But as I got into it, more and more I was getting practical tips and ideas on what I could do myself to adapt to this new era moving forward, and inspiration on what all the "end of jobs" will mean to me and to the world. I'm going to say this is a must read if you are in college, starting your career, or at any point of your career.

Just prepare to have your world view changed if
Leisa Michelle
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Taylor Pearson says that we're facing "the end of jobs" for three main reasons:

1. Because of the fact that nearly everyone in the world has access to the internet, global education standards have risen. Communication tech is awesome now. So all this means that you're potentially competing with 7 billion people for that job offer. (And the software developers in the Philippines can afford to make $10/hr doing it.)
2. Machines, both hardware and software, are taking over both blue collar AND whit
Michał Płachta
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book compares the traditional approach to career (job) with an emerging new one (entrepreneurship). More and more people work in complex organisations, where following the rules or best practices is not creating any value. Those organisations need individuals who can walk into chaos and create order.

What caused the emergence of entrepreneurial revolution:
- Long tail phenomenon has been enabled by technology in last 2 decades.
- We are experiencing exponential growth in many areas, but humans
MT
Mar 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I am recycling this book. While I agree with the general thesis regarding entrepreneurship put forth by the author - if you could call it at that - I find the work unoriginal and repetitive. The book is full of stereotypes and quotes from other writers and entrepreneurs - and lacks data or a personal narrative.

Taylor Pearson's main thesis is that entrepreneurship is cool, and is less risky, more profitable and more fulfilling than having a job. His book is also titled, "The End of Jobs" but whe
Richard Meadows
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A call-to-arms for a new age of entrepreneurship. The End of Jobs makes a compelling argument that globalisation and the democratisation of production and distribution mean it has never been easier or more fruitful to become an entrepreneur. Arguably, taking a traditional career is now the more risky pathway.

If all this 'describe a change in the world' stuff isn't your cup of tea, just skip past it. Where this book really shines is in providing a fully-formed blueprint of how to start an online
Nataliya Stelmakh
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#40BooksAYear
Really enjoyed the book & many insights into why the era of resources, then knowledge is now over, and the new era of entrepreneurship is upon us. Many cool stories of people giving up their 9 to 5 dull jobs & stairstepping into creating businesses. Surprisingly a good read!
Louis Shulman
This book was phenomenal the second time through. The author, Taylor Pearson, has a background in blogging and essay writing, and the style in his book reflects the quick pace common in online content. The paragraphs are really short and chapters go by in a few minutes, so the book only takes a few hours to read in its entirety.

I love how clearly Taylor can breakdown complex ideas. He is very repetitive, but I find what he repeats to be very beneficial and ultimately worth repeating.

The book b
Celebrilomiel
I found this book thought-provoking, but it gave me very little information I had not already absorbed osmotically through the internet. However, it did collect the information and distill it, which made the read worthwhile, even though much of it felt like review. It served as affirmation in my decision not to pursue a college degree — the return on the investment does not warrant the expense — and it made me contemplate how to take advantage of niche markets and how to leverage existing skills ...more
John Snowden
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Filled with interesting insights and thoughts that I value, I have found some good motivation from.

However, I hold a few things against the book:
1. It's incredibly repetitive. The same interesting insights are repeated 5-10 times it felt like, so sometimes it feels like it's being padded for length unnecessarily. Keeping it succinct would have felt more valuable to me and my time.
2. Though "freedom" felt like a good motivator for why to approach the economy differently which he cites a couple o
Christian Knutson
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Think Entrepreneurial Skill Development - Everyone Can Embrace That Concept

I had a long-standing love/hate relationship with the word "entrepreneur" because my background is deeply rooted in a secure, job framework - government service. This said, I realized even in that setting that successful people (i.e. the ones getting promoted or being put on plum projects) were successful because they were accomplished in skills like networking, communications, developing relationships and generating idea
Michael-bret Hodges
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book confirmed and brought to the surface a long buried notion of mine; the secret to entrepreneurship in not something that you find in a book. Not to say that is the book is not good, the very opposite. I feel that Tyler has ensconced this idea in this book.

Limits have changed. Jobs and the traditional school to college to career conveyor belt is off track with human progress. The world is full of college graduates making the prospect of a degree and the work associated with it a huge wa
Tracy
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
End of jobs is a blog-post-like summary of other popular books (antifragile, man's search for meaning, capital in the 21st century, four hour work week, etc) which adds very little new or original thought to the matter. The summary is simple: Society is evolving and technology has enabled new methods for non-traditional employment which is the key to greater happiness and freedom and meaning in your life. It appropriately captures the broader trend but generalizes too often and uses excessive hy ...more
John
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Summary: A big tsunami is coming to wipe out jobs as we have known them. But hey, it's never been easier to be an entrepreneur.
A convincing book, particularly as we see the concept of the secure career-long job crumble and the rise of the contract and sites such as Airtasker and Freelancer. More and more jobs are being automated or moved 'offshore'.
This book is a very good heads-up, with a stirring finish.
J.F. Penn
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Globalization, the acceleration of technology, entrepreneurship, digital disruption and thriving in extremistan. This should be mandatory reading for parents & teens considering their next step. Excellent book
Connie Mayta
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book shows the signs of trends to come for resources and professional services.
There are additional tools online that support the book.
Sigurd Kvernmoen
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great insight into what I also personally believe (and in some ways hope) will be the future. Pearson is as sharp as they come.
Agnieszka
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
If the goal was to beat the reader to death with redundancies, then it almost worked.
Karl
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Makes a good case. I'm going to read it again and try to verify what he states.
Akshay Pai
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It has a lot of insights into the notion of job or working in companies and how as an individual we can do and achieve much more than what we have been made to believe.

The book stresses upon why Entrepreneurship is always better then being in a job. This isn't true in all cases. What he's trying to tell is that people who work for big companies are often not motivated and have very poor performance.

Smaller companies which have a great work environment and give their
Gabriele Bortolotti
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the way it was written. It lacks interesting content and it's full of tiny examples that are left there, sometimes out of context. Based only on assumptions and predictions.

He tells how, in his opinion, most jobs are not safe anymore because they may be taken by other people in developing countries with the same level of education of people in western countries, who accept lower pay. This concept is repeated many times in the book and it seems like he is writing this book for a ve
Alexandre Klaser
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-economy
In the last part of the book, the author presents us the concept of pursuit of meaning, as theorized by Viktor Frankl. It'd have been a nice approach to frame entrepreneurship on the pursuit of meaning to oneself's life and how it could improve other people's lives. But he opted for assuming that the ultimate goals are seeking 'freedom' and wealth.

While wealth can be a possible metric to define a successful enterprise, this vision lacks empathy towards entrepreneurship as a way to improve societ
Samy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2018
Taylor Pearson does an excellent job of dissecting the chasm between the industrial age and the information age we currently live in.

He cites that working a job is, in fact, riskier than entrepreneurship. Not only that, but he takes us through several case studies demonstrating how entrepreneurship can be an extremely profitable venture.

He cites outsourcing to geographical locations, and how innovation is built on.... (to be finished soon + quotes to be added soon)

5 Ways I applied information
Flora
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book summarizes the wave of location-independent entrepreneurs that rose post Tim Ferris’s life design book. It’s a serious wake-up call detailing the differences between jobs in the past vs. present vs. future. It teaches readers that the way to create value and to have a more fulfilling career is to be an entrepreneur. While there are a number of valid points and terrific insight, I was under the impression that no other career paths are viable unless you go out there and create your own ...more
Shannon Callahan
Aug 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Good revitalize

"Entrepreneurship expands your power to design your life. You are a part of the first generation that has radical access to the tools of production. Rather than choosing from a set of options, you can design your own."

Throughout the book it helped me to reconsider my life. A small step for me to shift but it is good start. I would give this 4.5 stars because some of them are not thoughts provoking enough. However, many points in the book make me realized that I tried too hard to
Boudillon Jean
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice overview of the economy

It was an interesting read and I agree with the author regarding his thesis on the end of jobs. It's kind of a recap of many other books on the subject. The author made a structured synthesis of those books and added his own bits to it. If you've read these books you'll get less value for this book than if you didn't.
I'd give 3 stars if you've already read a lot books on the subject, 4 stars if you're new to it. Thanks anyway to the author
CT Ray
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good, quick read. Covers some familiar territory regarding how jobs are changing and freelancing and entrepreneurship are becoming more important than trying to find security as an employee.

Includes some interesting historical context on employment and suggestions on how education and society can adapt to the new realities.
Nathik
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Taylor Pearson always shares his interesting insights in Twitter and found his ideas interesting. I thought I might read his book to learn a thing or two and equip myself better. To my disappointment, I found the book to be repetitive, vague and unoriginal. The only saving grace of the book is that he has shared his link to access many useful productivity tools.
Nolann Binet
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Un livre qui nous montre quel sont les stratégies à adopter dans un monde en constant changement. Une nouvelle vision du capitalisme qui nous pousse à monter son entreprise digitale pour plus de liberté.

J'ai beaucoup apprécié la précision de l'auteur dans ces propos. On sens le travail de recherche et on y retrouve beaucoup d'informations qui appuient ses propos sur la transition économique.

• The 7 Day Startup: You Don't Learn Until You Launch
  • A Lapsed Anarchist's Approach to Building a Great Business (Zingerman's Guide to Good Leading)
  • Iterate And Optimize: Optimize Your Creative Business for Profit (The Smarter Artist Book 3)
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • 20 Things I've Learned as an Entrepreneur
  • How to Save Money at Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to Cut Spending
  • The Productive Person Action Guide: How to be more productive and maximize your work-life balance in 2 weeks
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Weight Loss Motivation Hacks
  • Evernote: Unleashed! Remember Anything, Accomplish Any Goal, Get More Done (Evernote for Beginners - Your Complete Guide to Mastering Evernote Quickly)
  • Millennial Money: How Young Investors Can Build a Fortune
  • Make Your Book Work Harder
  • Heresy: A History of Defending the Truth
  • The Freaks Shall Inherit the Earth: Entrepreneurship for Weirdos, Misfits, and World Dominators
  • Hello, Startup: A Programmer's Guide to Building Products, Technologies, and Teams
  • The Barefoot Executive: The Ultimate Guide for Being Your Own Boss and Achieving Financial Freedom
  • Essential Oils: A Proven Guide for Weight Loss, Skin Care, Hair Care, Stress Relief with the Use of Essential Oil Recipes
  • Make Art Make Money: Lessons from Jim Henson on Fueling Your Creative Career
Taylor spent the last three years meeting with hundreds of entrepreneurs from Los Angeles to Vietnam, Brazil to New York, and worked with dozens of them, in industries from cat furniture to dating, helping them to grow their businesses.

Regardless of the industry, age, race, country, or gender, one simple fact stood out: entrepreneurship was dramatically more accessible, profitable, and safer… whil
“While our first instinct is usually attempting to push harder, it’s more valuable to figure out where to push.” 3 likes
“Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.” 2 likes