Start by marking “Betwixt and Between (Edge of Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
Betwixt and Between (Edge of Night, #1)

Betwixt and Between

(Edge of Night #1)

Reporter Ian Evers, obsessed with magical creatures since childhood, never experiences satisfying proof that the magical realm actually exists until he falls into an entrapment spell set by a handsome but dangerous elf. Barely escaping with his soul intact, Ian is able to undo the hex, but he can't escape the very real infatuation he's developed for the fierce, alluring ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 122 pages
Published June 29th 2015 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about Betwixt and Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betwixt and Between

Start your review of Betwixt and Between (Edge of Night, #1)
SheReadsALot
THREE HEARTS--Ian has always been curious of the paranormal. He is a writer for a tabloid that specializes in the magical world. A dark elf, Ezekiel recognizes what Ian truly is and casts a hex to ensnare him. But Ian is able to thwart him. Surprising the dark elf. The two are drawn to each other. Ian begins to search for answers about his shady past, he was an orphan at the age of nine, raised by his deceased mother's best friend who is also a witch.

Ian is surrounded by a peanut gallery of
Ami

The whole svarta vs. liosa description and dialogs felt repetitive. Plus everything happened too fast; and leaning a bit too much on the lust and attraction side of things rather than building the world and romance. I lost interest around halfway. *Shrugs*
Didi
Interesting start of new series, though rather too scattered about to my taste. Trying to see it from elf's perspective might help though. XP

I found it easier to accept insta-love/lust trope when it set in paranormal genre, I guess. But from being unaware of their elven blood to accept it then go wrecked otherworldly realm with their newfound power were... rushed.
Olga
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had to drop this one. The characters been to boring for me. The storyline to predictable. There is no humor. No action. No thrill. The writing is ok, but if I can't get hold much of the content, I do not see any reason to push myself through it.
Tracey
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Zeke is stalking Ian as he wants his energy for his queen. Once he connects with Ian he is drawn to him more as is Ian to him, thanks to magic. Yes this is a paranormal mm read, so instalove is to be expected.

I enjoyed the writing, and the story. It didn't blow me away but has enough fantasy and sexiness to keep it interesting.
Veronica of V's Reads
This review was written for Joyfully Jay reviews and can be accessed here: http://joyfullyjay.com/2015/08/review...

4.25 stars.

Ian Evers is a reporter for a fringe newspaper that reports on the activity of magical creatures. Its not much of a day-job working in contemporary Seattle, but he does okay. Until the day he hears a haunting melody that hooks into his brain and tugs him toward unknown disaster. Ian has known that magic exists; his Aunt Cleona is a part-time witch and hes been attended
Susan
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Alexis Durans Betwixt and Between from the author in a major giveaway. I requested the book because I was intrigued by the premise of Ezekiel, a dark elf, looking to feed off Ian, an unaware human, who is part light elf. Ive loved elves since reading LOTR in fifth grade and this story did not disappoint! I can relate to hoping to prove magical creatures are real and I did not have Ians unconventional upbringing to blame. His obsession with magic leads him into Zekes hands ...more
Lada
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the writing, but the story itself went too fast and too focused on uninteresting parts to be enjoyable. And the insta-love didn't help.
Georgiana
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, reviewed
4.5 Stars
Liosa are their ancient enemy, the light to their dark.

Ezekiel is a svarta working as sort of a reaper for the Queen of the Dark Hearts. A total bi**h I may add, who draws the power of the moon and stars through the Liosa. Ian works for THE COSMIC EYE along with his best friend and roommate Dijeree, finding and cataloging magical creatures in Seattle.

Something about Ian draws Ezekiel in. He wants Ian more than just to take back to the Queen. It's like a part of him doesnt want to
Karen
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I liked the magical world created in this book and its conclusion that light & dark magic are part of a bigger whole and need each other to co-exist.

There's great chemistry between Ian and Ezekiel, and the pull they feel towards each other made for some riveting scenes. I only wish we'd have had a bit more dialogue between the MC's and more of a chance for their insta-lust connection to morph into a deeper love. Things move very fast, feelings-wise.

It's quite an action-packed story, but I
Cyd
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, m-m
This book was just wrong. Begins with Zeke relentlessly stalking Ian while using magic to find him. He uses magic to draw Ian to him. Then he sexually assaults him, again using guess what? Magic of course. All the while, planning to steal Ian's magic, ultimately killing him. He whines about having to share poor Ian's magic with the dark queen. I wished someone would whack Zeke. Ian was an interesting character. He resisted Zeke but it was an impossible under magic, he hardly understood. The ...more
Joscelyn Smith
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a fantastical tale with a hidden heritage and star-crossed lovers. Ian and Zeke may have started out as hunter and hunted but to survive the darkness waiting to devour them they'll need to work together. I really enjoyed it and my only complaint is that it left me wanting more, I hope this isn't the last I'll see of Ian and Zeke.
P Leslie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
*I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one elses*

This book has a lot of mixed reviews but ultimately it comes down to whether its simply to your own taste. Im glad I gave this book a go because I definitely enjoyed it.

The book was written well and the author got very creative especially, towards the end. There was quite a bit of repetition but it didnt put me off from enjoying the book.

The story was intriguing, funny, erotic with a hint of
Cyrene Olson
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Uncaged Book Reviews:

This is touted as a Gay Romance, but its really much more than that. Its a very dark fantasy, with a dark Queen who enslaves the dark elves, and destroys the light elves and steals their light souls and shes hell bent on power. Ian is a reporter for a small newspaper that reports on magical beings, and he becomes hexed by Zeke, who is a dark elf, or svarta, and is under the control of the Queen. Ians friends help him to break the hex, and meets with Zeke again, after
Alex Akira
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed this sparkling tale of enchantment, which I happily placed under Escapism in my Kindle library. The books title is quite apropos for its story, which swept me into a shadowy netherworld of dream and nightmare to witness a heroic and mind-bending battle for love and deliverance.

Ian Evers, a seemingly human reporter with a personal quest to prove that magic and magical creatures exist, finds himself love-spelled by the dazzling dark elf, Ezekiel Stormshadow. On a quest of his own,
ItsAboutTheBook
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

This is the story about a reporter named Ian who basically captures pictures or information of supernatural beings and sells them to the papers who buy that sort of thing. This is how he finds Zeke. Zeke is a dark fae who lures his victims in with his music. Theres something different about Ian though. Zeke manages to enthrall him but hes equally captivated by Ian. Ian isnt just another guy. Hes protected by his wacky magic dabbling aunt and
Ro Dubose
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ian Evers grew up surrounded by magic and secrets until Ezekiel Stormshadow, a dark elf, reveals the truth about Ians family.

Betwixt and Between is the first book in the Edge of Night series. The setting is Seattle, Washington. The plot centers on the dark and light realms of Earth. The dark realm practices magic for stealing the light from the soul because evil cannot nourish a soul, it can only destroy the soul as well as the person.

Ian believes in magical creatures. This is the main reason he
Molly Lolly
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four stars!
This was such a fun story. I got sucked in to the world and lore created and couldnt stop reading. The way Ian came into his powers was wonderful to watch. Ezekiel and how he had to fight his base nature had me on the edge of my seat at times, wondering which he was going to choose. Together the two of them are fabulous. They are explosive together, but it takes them a while to realize how they fit. There are some things that feel like theyre left
Drianne
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sf
It was fine. Urban fantasy with elves (vaguely Celtic/ Scandinavian ones).

What really kind of bugged me was that (view spoiler)
Shawnie Nicole
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this beyond reason and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Heloise West
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically magical prose to tell this tight, well-plotted, and deeply imaginative story.
Biljana
Jan 23, 2016
Draupnir
Jun 09, 2018

Edge of Night (2 books)
  • Death by Starlight (Edge of Night, #2)