Start by marking “Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)

Cold Girl

(B.C. Blues Crime #1)

A popular rockabilly singer has vanished in the snowbound Hazeltons of northern B.C. Lead RCMP investigator David Leith and his team work through the possibilities: has she been snatched by the so-called Pickup Killer, or does the answer lie here in the community, somewhere among her reticent fans and friends?

Leith has much to contend with: rough terrain and punishing weat
Published March 26th 2016 by Dundurn Press

To ask other readers questions about Cold Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Girl

Thomas
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to thank Dundurn Press and NetGalley for sending me this free ebook in return for an honest review. This book takes place during the brutal winter in northern British Columbia along the Skeena river, centered in the town of Hazelton. I recently rode the Skeena train from Prince George to Prince Rupert, which is why this book interested me.

Two policemen are the central characters in this book, Detective David Leith and RCMP Constable Cal Dion. Dion was a detective but has been demoted aft
"Avonna
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Cold Girl: A BC Blues #1 crime novel by R.M. Greenaway is a strong mystery set in BC and revolves around an interesting group of RCMP officers. The book is this author’s first and was the winner of the 2014 Arthur Ellis Unhanged award. It is a character driven crime mystery and the writing style is a little different, but once you get into the story it becomes smoother.

The story starts with the disappearance of a rockabilly singer and brings together Detective Leith and Constable Dion. The two
Polly
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘Cold Girl’ by R. M. Greenaway introduces us to two detectives with the RCMP in Northern BC, Cal Dion and Dave Leith. Greenaway does a fantastic job of setting up not only the antagonism that develops between these two officers, but also the competitiveness that arises between many of the officers involved in hunting down a serial killer. Cal Dion has returned to work after a year’s sick leave and attempts to hide the fact that he had a pretty stellar ten year career prior to sustaining a trauma ...more
Jean
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First of all, I want to express my thanks to R.M. Greenway, Dundurn Publishing, and NetGalley for providing me with a digital copy of Cold Girl: A BC Blues crime novel in exchange for my honest, unbiased review.

A popular young singer goes missing in the Hazelton Mountains in northwest British Columbia. The RCMP, led by investigator Dave Leith, must contend with cold, wet, snowy conditions and a small town police force headed by Renee, Giroux, a strong-willed sergeant. To complicate matters even
Linda Strong
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Being from a law enforcement family, I know that not all crime stories I read are going to be anywhere near how an investigation is conducted. This one was almost too much for me.

The lead singer of a musical group goes missing. There is some talk of a serial killer loose in the area, so cops from all over the region congregate on this small town where she vanished.

Constable Dion is one such cop. He used to be a homicide detective but a car crash, in which his partner was killed, left him brain d
Heena Rathore P.
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Shelves: netgalley
Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blog Rating: 4.5/5

Plot/Story:
Cold Girl is one of those books that you can either love or hate. And for me, fortunately, it's the first one. I really enjoyed the story and relished the way it ended. The plot is not only outright gripping but quite unique as well but in its own subtle way. Cold Girl has a character driven plotline and the author successfully pulls it off. The plot line is simple
Paromjit
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absorbing multilayered murder mystery. It begins with a Constable Dion spotting a stalker following a native girl at a Fling concert. He fails to catch up with the stalker or the girl and feels guilt. Leith, another copper, is called into a small community where there is missing girl, where there is some evidence to suggest connections with the pick up truck serial murderer.

Keira, the lead singer in the group Fling, went missing after leaving her boyfriend Frank's home. Other cops li
Krystin Rachel
It wasn't terrible. But it wasn't great. It was just the most okayest crime novel. Still, I guess that leaves room for improvement with the next one.

*Disclaimer: Extra points have been awarded because of my bias towards anything Canadian.

The overall concept was good. A former star in the RCMP, Constable Dion, was in a terrible car accident that killed his partner and left him recovering from brain damage. After recovery, his memory is shoddy, his sense of direction is for crap, he has some ang
Sandy
This police procedural set in northern BC tells the story of 2 RCMP officers involved in the search for a serial killer.
Cal Dion used to be a highly regarded detective in Vancouver. That was before the accident that left him with a scrambled brain & a dead partner. Now he's starting over in Smithers, quietly hiding the extent of his disability.
David Leith is a detective in Prince Rupert who's spent the last 2 years tracking the "Pickup Killer". Leads have been hard to come by & the case
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This is a police procedural set in the northern B.C. There were times the story really pulled me in and times where it plodded along for too long. The characters were interesting and most were nicely developed. Although the investigation leader is supposed to be Leith and this is his series, I felt Dion was featured more and was actually a more interesting character. I think the series has potential and will try the next book.
Marjolein
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

A coming singer goes missing. Has she fallen prey to the serial killer who's at work in the region, or did something completely else happen.

For the biggest part this was an interesting detective story. The local police itself has a lot of problems, some of which didn't get enough closure at the end. Speaking about the ending, it left me very confused and I wanted to have another book to read exactly what is going on with Dion
Stephen Clynes
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cold Girl is her first novel and was the winner of the 2014 Arthur Ellis Unhanged award. Kiera Rilkoff is the lead singer of Fling and she has suddenly gone missing. Has she run away because of musical differences or has she become another victim of the Pickup Killer? Follow the RCMP as they try to solve this mystery in snowbound Canada.

I really enjoyed reading this book and it did not matter that I have never been to Canada, because her writing was so descriptive that I could picture the scene
Toni Osborne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Book 1, in the BC Blues Crime series

“Cold Girl” is mystery and a detective fiction that revolves around the disappearance of a pretty singer of a local band. It features RCMP Detectives Leith and Dion, two lead characters who hate each other and are the driving force in this story. It is also the story of Dion’s struggle to recuperate from an accident, a car crash that has left him a stranger in his own body.

Told from the point of views of several characters based on what is going on at the mom
Petra
Set in Northern British Columbia, this is the first book in a crime series by debut author R.M. Greenaway.
When Kiera, a young singer from an up-and-coming band, goes missing an eclectic group of RCMP officers are teamed up to conduct the investigation.
David Leith is a dogged detective who has been tracking a serial killer labeled the "Pickup Killer" for the last couple of years.
Cal Dion suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car crash ending his promising career as a detective in Vancouver. Hi
Margaret Bryant
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The tension between the two sleuths is real. I look forward to more in this series.
Susan Angela Wallace
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cold girl by rm greenway.
A popular singer vanishes. Lead rcmp investigator david leith and his team work through the possibilities. Has she been snatched by the so-called pickup killer, or does the answer lie in the community, somewhere among her fans and friends. An enjoyable read. I had my suspicions so I couldn't put it down. I had to find out if I was right. I liked the ending too. 5*. Netgalley and dundurn.
Helio
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Very readable but the plot moves slowly. Some geographic errors such as stating Terrace is north of Hazelton when it is south and west. The Royal Bank has not been in Old Hazelton for at least a decade - it is now in Hagwillget. But maybe the novel takes place in an alternate universe where the locations are different. Most readers won't be familiar with the towns, events and restaurants mentioned but I enjoyed the reminders from Prince Rupert to Smithers having spent a lot of time at both and p ...more
Cathleen
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cold Girl” by R.M. Greenaway is definitely a story a read will either love or hate as the writing style is very unique and something you need to get used to. I put this title ahead of others as I noticed it was going to be archived well in advance of it publication date. What I enjoyed most in reading this title is the plot twists and turns that flowed throughout the book. The author did an amazing job with creating them and kept me engaged and fascinated to the very end.

As this story is very c
Joanne
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very promising beginning for a previously unpublished author. The plot is complex and gripping, the characters realistic to the setting. The author especially excels at evoking the atmosphere of the Central Interior, remote, mountainous, forbidding. This is the kind of place that attracts and/or creates oddballs and loners, people with secrets.

When a promising young singer disappears from a band rehearsal, there are so many suspects that the RCMP have to weed out their stories just to
Debbie
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I have many thoughts about this one. The first thing that comes to mind is that it seemed to have been longer than necessary. The second is that I felt for that Dion guy. He should not have been out there that soon. His co-workers should have been notified of his disability. Third, I should have put it down and went on to the next book. It was definitely too long and monotonous. I definitely did not need to know what they ate at every meal. "Ate breakfast" would have sufficed for me.

Thanks Dund
Steve Tripp
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
As a British Columbia resident I loved that this book was set in my home province, and was even more impressed that it was set in the BC north. Overall, it’s a pretty good mystery that is told with an eye to future character development in the upcoming sequels. The author captures the isolated north experience very well and, as her first book, she has certainly drawn me into reading the next instalment.
Nataly Trofimova
Thank you NetGalley and Dundurn for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have been reading books since my childhood and most of them were crime stories. At first, it was Enid Blyton and her The Famous Five, Russian author Ekaterina Vilmont and her stories about Dasha and her friends, Carolyn Keenу and her Nancy Drew. I had so much fun reading the books and trying to solve the cases with the main characters.
When I was 7 years old I decided that it was time to read something more se
Diana Francis
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Received from Netgalley

I just finished R.M. Greenaway's Cold Girl. This is a mystery and a police procedural. It revolves around a disappearance--what happened to the pretty singer of a local up-and-coming Canadian band? The main characters are Constable Dion, who has survived a terrible car crash and a year later, is still not able to think the way he once did. Once a hot-shot detective, he's now relegated to the backwaters of Canada doing scut work. The other main character is Leith, a detecti
Pia
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is murder in a very cold climate.

Young girls are being killed. It's a serial killer know as The Pickup Killer.
So when Kiera Rilkoff, a local singer on her way to fame is also murdered, the first impression is that she is the new victim of The Pickup Killer.
But things are not what they seem, and the relationship between Keira and her band was beyond complicated.

Investigating these murders are the local police as well as Dion, Leith and Bosko, who are in the Hazeltons area to help solve the c
Paul Franco
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
To put it succinctly, Cold Girl left me cold.
For one thing, it has the longest chapters ever! A Mountie who is the foremost expert on a serial killer goes further north to investigate another murder, leaving his wife and child behind for a few weeks, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing. There’s also a cop up from North Vancouver—never did find out what interested him so much in the case—and another policeman damaged by something in his past, though no one knows that, resulting in him bei
Thebooktrail
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A crime in the snowy mountains

Book set in Canada:

The snow covered mountains of the Hazelton area of BC is not the easiest of places to search and certainly not the easiest of places to be if you get lost. The scope of the search field and the feeling of isolation and despair is all around.

The RCMP is the force working this area and the insight into the police work and nature of crimes in this part of the world is fascinating. The RCMP Detectives Leith and Dion hate each other yet this relatio
Colleen Tsoukalas
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this one down and read it over a 3 day period this May. Reminded me very much of my time up North and visits to Hazelton. A great B.C. setting with all the complexities that the entertainment business can bring. Also a look at the highway of tears and what can happen when the road is long and the transportation ops, few. It is man against nature, very much alive and dark. It is personalities, politics, the hunt, the hunter and the hunted, women and men, achievement and lack of it, d ...more
Karen McMullin
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting premise, and dare I say, exotic location? Set in the Hazelton mountain range in northern BC, Cold girl follows RCMP investigator David Leith as he searches for an up-and-coming rockabilly singer. Also assigned to the case is Constable Dion. Recovering from a car crash that has left him with brain damage, he hides his coping mechanisms from the rest of the team in an attempt to feel normal.
An engrossing read, with the mountains playing as much of a role in the story as the many charac
Kathleen Gray
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this police procedural set in Canada because I learned a little bit about Canadian law enforcement and about the region. Leith and Donovan are both interesting characters I found myself caring about. This would benefited from a tough editor to pare it back a bit (most novels of this sort are shorter and more pointed) but at the same time it did keep me reading. I haven't read Greenaway before but hope to again in the future. Thanks to NETGALLEY for the ArC.
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Canadian literature and Cold Girl is no different. Giving its readers a compelling mystery and a main character who seems almost real thanks to the author's creativity, this book is really a great one.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tumbled Graves (Stonechild and Rouleau, #3)
  • Darkness at the Edge of Town (Iris Ballard #2)
  • The Kill Box (Jamie Sinclair, #3)
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)
  • After the Bloom
  • The Painted Gun
  • The Night Visitor
  • Death on Nantucket (A Merry Folger Nantucket Mystery #5)
  • Salvage
  • A Penny for the Hangman
  • Glass House 51
  • An Unattended Death
  • None So Blind (Inspector Green Mystery, #10)
  • A Shimmer of Hummingbirds (Birder Murder Mystery #4)
  • Trofæ (Jensen & Sander #1)
  • Darkness Rising
  • Previously Loved Treasures (Serendipity, #2)
  • The Moscow Code (A Foreign Affairs Mystery #2)
RM GREENAWAY has worked in nightclubs, darkrooms, and courthouses. She writes the B.C. BLUES crime series, featuring RCMP detectives Leith and Dion. Her first novel COLD GIRL, winner of the 2014 Arthur Ellis Unhanged award, will be released 26 March 2016.

B.C. Blues Crime (5 books)
  • Undertow (B.C. Blues Crime, #2)
  • Creep (B.C. Blues Crime, #3)
  • Flights and Falls (B.C. Blues Crime #4)
  • River of Lies (B.C. Blues Crime, #5)
“Sometimes a person can be more traumatized than he knows.” 1 likes