Start by marking “Murder Takes the High Road” as Want to Read:
Murder Takes the High Road

Murder Takes the High Road

From award-winning male/male author Josh Lanyon: a librarian finds himself in a plot right out of one of his favorite mystery novels

Librarian Carter Matheson is determined to enjoy himself on a Scottish bus tour for fans of mystery author Dame Vanessa Rayburn. Sure, his ex, Trevor, will also be on the trip with his new boyfriend, leaving Carter to share a room with a stran
Published April 23rd 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder Takes the High Road, please sign up.
Kokomomomo
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Murder Takes the High Road
mwana
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every lover of a good mystery
Shelves: mystery, mm, adult
THANK YOU TO THE AUTHOR FOR PROVIDING ME WITH THIS ARC AFTER I LOW KEY STALKED HER AND SHE PROBABLY FELT SORRY FOR ME AFTER NETGALLEY REJECTED MY REQUEST.

description

WARNING, THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SHIT FROM MY PAST. AGAIN.

When I was in high school, I had a bit of a juvenile imagination.

For my first three years, I resided in an old dorm house dubbed “Main Block”. One of the oldest structures in the school. Dating back all the way to around 1922.

It had a ghostly whitewashed façade. The inside was a b
Martin
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story.

It is totally obvious the author actually went on a bus tour through Scotland and based this book on personal experience.

I am proud to say that I also visited Scotland by doing such a bus tour and everything rang annoyingly true.
I am saying this in a loving way.

Carter Matheson, mild-mannered librarian and mystery fan, booked a bus tour through Scotland years ago, when he was still with his long-term partner Trevor. Both guys intended to enjoy a unique tour through th
~Mindy Lynn~
4 Stars!

Another brilliant mystery by the amazing JL. I just wish the romance was played up a little bit more.

The mystery is forefront and well executed with many players in the mix. I loved it. It's has a vibe of Clue going on, only JL did it better and smarter.

Nothing better then some sweet revenge on an ex then to go on the same trip as him and his new man to make it miserable for them. Maybe not so new though considering he was seeing this bloke during his and Carter's relationship. But Ca
Nazanin
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2018
3 Stars

Carter is on a tour; his ex is also on the tour with his new boyfriend. It’s a ten-day tour of the Scottish Highlands and Islands.

"Every stop and every stay was planned around a particular setting in one of the Rayburn books."

And she was Carte’s fave author so he couldn’t pass his ticket just because his ex is on the trip. In this trip, Carter has a roommate, John. He’s a man of many secrets. Like his wandering in the middle of the nights and the thing that John hasn’t read any of this a
Meags
4 Stars

Murder Takes the High Road is another of Lanyon’s finely crafted mystery stories featuring a tasty side of romance.

This story follows American librarian and recently single Carter Matheson as he goes on a once-a-year exclusive tour through Scotland, visiting sights and scenes as featured in the books of mystery author, Vanessa Rayburn.

Carter should be thrilled to be on this tour, not only because he’s had this trip planned for years and it’s his first time overseas, but because the whole
Ms. Smartarse
Carter has been planning his literary trip to the Scottish highlands for years, looking forward to seeing all the picturesque haunts he's only read about till now. What he hasn't been planning was to have his recent ex and his new beau shooting him angry looks at every step... that is, when they're not busy throwing each other love sick looks.

As if all his sentimental baggage weren't enough, the trip quickly takes a turn for the worst: full of hearsay and skirmishes between the tour participants
Renée
This was one of the most fun to read books by Lanyon yet. Going on a years-planned vacation with the ex who cheated. And with the ex's new boyfriend with whom he cheated.

I knew why "the high road" was in the title with that setup.

But Carter does take the high road with his ex. He's always wanted to go on this once-a-year, very expensive, bus tour dedicated to his favorite author, and he's staying!

The antics from the ex were entertaining on their own and made me smile more than once.

But then we
Adam
The first thing that drew me to this book was the word ‘Scottish’ in the blurb. Scotland’s on my bucket list, so I was hoping this book would deliver some picturesque scenes.

And I wasn’t disappointed! We’ve got ancient streets, mountains, seaside roads, and creepy old castles. The vivid descriptions of gloomy Scottish weather gave the book a sombre and foreboding feel.

description

When we’re first introduced to Carter, he’s a bit of a pitiful character. It’s obvious that his decision to go on the tour is as
LenaRibka

I think this book can make happy not only the fans of Josh Lanyon, but in the first place the lovers of the classic mystery genre a là Agatha Christie.

Some essential prerequisites are needed: a bunch of strangers, who are put together for a while. In OUR case it is a colorful mixed group of tourists on the bus trip 'Tour to Die For' for the fans of mystery author Dame Vanessa Rayburn. This tour takes place only once per year and leads the lucky participants through the beautiful landscape of Sc
Snjez

This was a fun read. Wonderful setting, likable characters and the mystery part was entertaining.
Great narration by Gary Furlong. I love his Scottish accent.
cal
Jul 28, 2021 rated it liked it
nemo the emo ☠️ (pagesandprozac)
(4.25 stars)

if i had to sum this book up in one word it would be...

D R A M A !

drama here! drama there! drama EVERYWHERE!

and it was great.

there were more twists than i expected, and even the guessable things didn't quite pan out the way i was expecting. the writing was very strong and suspenseful, so much so that i read this in one sitting (really not a good idea, since i should either be sleeping or studying because i have a really important exam tomorrow but i digress).

there was also some
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Awesome mystery with some delicious m/m action. Great job.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I made a mistake the other day when I was reading an offer about advanced reader copy of a book. I ended up selecting a few books that I wasn’t expecting because I thought I was just reading the synopsis.

However, I can say that I am quite happy about the so called mistake because out of that I was able to read and review a fabulous book.

Now I love a good mystery story now and again. But when you combine one with an excit
Sofia
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

Lightly and confidently written as is on par for Lanyon. As usual Lanyon just carries ones onto the words. This time we climbed on board a bus, complete with bagpipes and went chugging along the coast of Scotland. What else do you need for a cozy mystery a' la' Christie or a' la' Fletcher. And the denouement (view spoiler) completely in character as well.

In the story Lanyon weaves in a lot of reference to fiction crime and true crime in more ways
Ky
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, arc, net-galley
What a ride! Just when you think you have the answer to the mystery all figured out a new case pops up and you're back to square one...

I was captured by the story and was constantly trying to guess what the truth was. I was able to guess one of the mysteries right and was very pleased by that. I was also a little disappointed because the truth was revealed relatively early and there was still a good 30% of the book left. Just when I was wondering what we were supposed to be reading for that many
Melissa
2021 audio
Still not my favorite of JL but still well written.

2019 audio review
Yep. This was good. I remembered everything from my first read and still was laughing and cringing and gasping in parts. I hope there will be a sequel!!!

Reading my below review over I want to change my opinion for the better. 😊 Maybe because I knew what to expect this time around I was better prepared. I really loved this story and ALL the characters. Even Trevor and Vance. What a pair of...better left unsaid. Carter a
Meep
2.5* I may read again but no guarantees.

I fear Lanyon's have lost their appeal for me. So wanted to like this, it has all the well-loved tried and tested ingredients. Yet it lacks any charm.

There are too many characters who are interchangeable, little more than names. The limited scope of a tour bus should have brought out more personalities instead of a dust dry visit to Scotland. I love Scotland there's far more to it than a quaint named cafe and some off-page dance. Tourist leaflets hold more
Kathleen
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
I don't know...is it me? Is it that I compare everything Lanyon writes these days to her AE Mysteries? And nothing measures up?

I am just completely ho hum about this story. It was nothing special for me. It certainly wasn't bad, it had its moments, but I expect better from this author. If this is the beginning of a series, ok, I might read/listen-to the next one. Often first in series books, in retrospect, doesn't indicate the appeal of the entire series.

With reference to the narrator, Gary Furl
Ije the Devourer of Books

I adored this. It is quintessential Josh Lanyon and I fell in love with all the characters.The mystery is engaging and the story held my attention from the beginning right through to the end.

The story starts off in an unassuming way. Carter is a librarian and a great fan of the mystery writer Dame Vanessa Rayburn. He has saved up to go on a 'Tour to Die For' which is a tour of Scotland and all the places from Vanessa's books. It also includes a few nights in the old castle belonging to Vanessa
Trio
I can't even believe how much I loved Murder Takes the High Road. I really do love everything Josh Lanyon writes, but this was truly spectacular.

The mystery was completely original and kept me guessing through the end.

The romance was sweet, and quaint, and totally hot - and worked 100% of the time.

And the ENDING was wonderful.

Lanyon fans will be right pleased and if you haven't had the pleasure of one of my all time favorite authors, this is the perfect book with which to start!

Regarding the aud
~~ preeti~~
4.5⭐ "A cozy mystery novel with a dose of MM romance".

This is my second book by Josh Lanyon and I had so much fun reading it.😊😊 Although at times, I had the distinct feeling that I am reading Agatha Christie in the modern setting. But I am not complaining because who doesn't love their mysteries with a touch of romance right!!! especially if it is an MM romance( case-specific).💕

We have our MC, Carter, who is a librarian and a super fan of mystery writer Vanessa Rayburn, he had signed for a speci
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: Gary Furlong : 4 Stars
Book Cover: 3.8

So I’m blaming my new found “love-for-Lanyon” totally and completely on SIMONE.

The beauty about reading is the way your preferences and enjoyment of certain genre’s either grow with time or deteriorate. I have to admit that the “lack” of romance/hot scenes in Lanyon’s stories made me rather pick up something else in the beginning.

But.. she does write such interesting and enjoyable characters! There’s just something about
Ami

Initially, I thought that Murder Takes the High Road would be like one of those classic closed-space Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery. It definitely has the perfect premise. Bunch of strangers getting together for a tour that aptly calls Tour to Die For, a mysterious man joining the tour at the last minute, fluttery gossip about unexplained death that happened in the previous tour...

BUT, it didn't really reach quite that level for me. First of all, it moved rather slow for a murder
MishyJo
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It amazes me how so many Lanyon books can feel so similar without becoming repetitive or stale. Enjoyed this immensely. Well narrated.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.2 Stars

This is very much a Josh Lanyon novel, focusing more on the characters & plot than the romance...but that doesn't mean it was lacking! I actually liked the way the tale was woven, very tightly and intricately, and how the blooming relationship between Carter and John fit in. There were some sexy times (eventually, half-way in) and the ending was a positive HFN - which means sequels, I'm hoping!

The murder mystery itself was very reminiscent of something that would happen in another JL se
CrabbyPatty
Josh Lanyon's latest mystery pays homage to all those classic whodunits in this tale of a group of people drawn together by their love of a mystery writer, Dame Vanessa Rayburn. The cast of characters are on a bus tour through Scotland, visiting various settings from Dame Rayburn's novels, ending with a visit to Rayburn's castle on a remote island.

There is a creepy, very cold Scottish inn, a mysterious last-minute addition to the group who doesn't seem familiar with Dame Rayburn's work, constan
fleurette
castle

When it comes to mm mystery romances, Josh Lanyon is the best. This is another great story from him. I only wish it is longer, so the pleasure is prolonged.

Carter, the librarian and mystery books fan, goes on an organised tour to Scotland to meet with one of his favourite writers Vanessa. The pleasure would be greater if his ex-boyfriend and his new lover weren't going with him. Anyway, as much as the Scottish landscape is wonderful, the whole journey becomes stranger with every passing day. F
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

I really enjoyed this book and the mystery kept me guessing until the end. As expected, there wasn't much romance but what there was, was sweet and lovely and I can see both men having their HEA. They just fit even if they couldn't get to know each other very well in the shortness of time.

Gary Furlong's narration was great! This was my first audiobook narrated by him but certainly not my last.

I think one of the passengers got lost before the bus tour even started because I couldn't
Ingie
Review written 17 July, 2019

3 1/2 Stars - A classic typical very enjoying JL mystery

As someone wrote; to be honest is it hard to see the difference between all (and there are plenty of them) these quite short MM mysteries by Josh Lanyon. Still is it always a grand pleasure to read one of these well done stories. - Murder Takes the High Road is a newer one published 2018.

**********************************************

« Librarian Carter Matheson is determined to enjoy himself on a Scottish bus tour

• The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Bitter Legacy (Bitter Legacy, #1)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Curiosities (Snow & Winter, #2)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Object of Desire  (Bitter Legacy, #2)
  • Badlands (Badlands, #1)
  • Criminal Past (Hazard and Somerset #6)
  • The Mystery of the Bones (Snow & Winter, #4)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

News & Interviews

Mary Roach is a science author who specializes in the bizarre and offbeat. With a body of work ranging from deep-dives on the history of...