Start by marking “Dancing at the Harvest Moon” as Want to Read:
Dancing at the Harvest Moon

Dancing at the Harvest Moon

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  604 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
His letters thrilled her as a young woman in love for the first time, and now, many years later, they mean more than ever to Maggie McIntyre. After her husband of twenty years leaves her for a younger woman, it's the discovery of Robbie's letters that gives Maggie a renewed sense of purpose: to return to Little Bear Lake and recapture the woman she once was - the woman she ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 187 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Wheeler Publishing (first published September 15th 1997)

Nancy Crawford
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, couldn't put it down. Interesting turn of events. Her insecurities were relatable even if the material wasn't. Nice to see a woman do what men have been doing forever!!
Kayla
Aug 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'm not one for cheesy romance novels, but I liked this one. The author does get a bit wrapped up in describing scenery every now and then, but I just sped up my reading through those parts to get to the meat of the story. It's a pretty quick read and it doesn't have all the "filler" that a lot of novels have just to increase the number of pages. I recommend it if you are in the mood for a story about second chances for love.
Katieosborn
This book was alright. I found myself a little disturbed by the story line--the main character falls in love with her (now deceased) ex-lover's son. I just thought that the plot was a little weird.
Lisa Thomas
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great summer read. Well written. Quite sentimental, but works for a hopeless romantic like me. A sweet story, worth passing on.
Shelley
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an easy read, but it wasn't a great one. I finished this book a couple of days ago. Not quite a 2, a cross between "not liking it" and "it was okay", more like a 1-1/2 stars. It was predictable from beginning to end and I starting skipping over parts because, there just wasn't a good reason to read every word, or paragraph. I wasn't missing anything by doing so.

Maggie's lawyer husband of 20+ years ends their marriage by falling in love with his intern who is as young as their two daughter
Jeffree Itrich
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at the bottom of my book shelf. Not sure when I got it; possibly when I worked for a big book wholesaler a decade ago. I don't know why it took so long to read it but I'm glad I did because I really liked it. This is definitely chick-lit but not a romance novel. Yes, it has a lot of romance, in fact it is obsessed with it, but not in the romance genre kind of way. So why you may ask did I finally read this book? The back cover enticed me with the following:

"For some people, the
Sally Lindsay-briggs
Maggie has gone through a divorce. She finds a remnant from her former single life from long ago and rushes to Canada to find her lost love. Maggie works hard to make the Harvest Moon dance hall a reality. This is a very lovely but tempestuous story of romance. The plot is rather thin but the 1960's music they talk about and dance to, reminded me of my own fond memories. Bear Lake and the loons brought back happy times at Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks; with the the haunting calls of those maje ...more
Christine
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who like a good love story
Recommended to Christine by: German book magazine
One of the best novels I ever read!
The perfect love story. An American woman who teaches at college finds out that her husband of many years is in love with a younger woman and wants a divorce. She returns to Canada to a lake where she fell in love for the first time.
The TV movie is with Jacqueline Bisset.
There is another novel by K. C. McKinnon, "Candles on Bay Street", it's also a very good read!

This is a great book for a deserted island...
Jesse Blayne
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet escape - just what I needed on a rainy weekend.
Sherry Grussing
Sep 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main point of the book for me was "what do YOU think??? what do I think???" as in a couple in a relationship or married. Too often I think we do things our parents think we should, our family, our friends and this affects your relationship with your significant other. We need to step back and decide what as a couple we think and want and then do it :)
Teresa
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Reminded me of a Lifetime movie, not that I'm a Lifetime movie fan.
Angie Fehl

I opened up this book by K.C. McKinnon (the penname of writer Catherine Pelletier) thinking it's a short read, should be a good, chill break from the more politically themed books I've been tearing through recently. Harvest Moon is the story of Maggie McIntyre, a forty-something whose husband does the mid-life crisis and runs off with his assistant. About to be a divorcee, Maggie herself runs off to re-start her life in the small Canadian town where she spent summers as a teenage girl. She hopes
Your Common House Bat
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for nostalgia
Recommended to Your Common House Bat by: No one
I saw this one in a book drop off where people leave the books they no longer want for others to take and I'm glad I took it. I really enjoyed this book; one of the best I've read in a while after a line of 'meh' books--perhaps I'm just growing out of YA? I loved the imagery and the poetry of this one, it was very pretty. The story line really spoke to me; it reminded me of my summer days when I would go to my grandmother's for my summer job--right down to the lake and the forest. Everything abo ...more
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
maggie is feeling kind of lost: her husband of 20 years has left her for a younger woman and her children are out on their own. feeling let down, she comes across some love letters from her first love, and decides to buy the old dance hall where she was working when she met her love. when she gets there, she finds out that her love had married and then died. she comes across someone who she thinks is a ghost at first, because he looks like her first love. instead, it is his son, and he
Donna Girouard
Maggie's husband, Joe, has a mid-life crisis and leaves Maggie for a woman half his age. Maggie reacts by trying to recapture her youth and her first love. When she finds out that that is not possible, she falls in "love" with a BOY less than half her age, thus having her own mid-life crisis.
Okay, here are my issues with this book:
First: Maggie is 46 and the barely-adult she falls for is 21. Ew.
Second: this boy (really) is the SON of her first love. Ew.
Third: As a college professor (as am I), Ma
Carolyn F.
This was an older woman, younger man story that I thought would give me the heebie jeebies. Maggie's husband leaves her for a girl 20 years younger. After almost a year she comes across old love letters from her beau before she met her husband while she worked a summer job in Canada at the Harvest Moon. She decides to go on sabbatical and check out the place maybe reconnecting with her old love. She learns he died a few years back. His son lives there and is the spitting image of his dad. The so ...more
Barbara
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dancing at the Harvest Moon is another lovely, little gem of a book. It is one of the best used books that I've picked up at the library. I really related to the story of the older woman in a transitional phase of her life. Even though my transitional issues are different, I loved the way the main character bravely set out and moved forward in her life... making decisions that were "outside of the box" and not always what others thought she should do. The simple story and illustrations were very ...more
Diksha
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, romance
I have read this book four times already and I absolutely love it. It is a simple story about the unique path love can take sometimes. After getting a divorce Maggie goes to Canada where she had spent a couple of summers and found her first love. It was a time in her life when she was defining who she was. Now, after losing her husband, her children all grown up, she feels that she needs to define herself all over again. She goes in search of the love she once turned away from but finds another ...more
Wanda
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three things disappointed me about "Dancing at the Harvest Moon:"

1. The book I was reading has the question marks upside down. It was startling and distracting. Also made me focus on how many questions were asked in this book.

2. The Cathie Pelletier (K.C. Mckinnon is a pseudonym) humor was not there.

3. I believe you cannot go back. Life is a journey forward.

And, really, can a relationship with 20 year ago difference work? And why isn't Eliot angry about Maggie breaking his dad's heart?

Pamela Pickering
I never really felt engaged by this story. In fact, my mind often wandered while reading it. For me, the character development was lacking. Especially in regards to the character of Eliot. All we get of Eliot is that he could be his father's twin--same looks, mannerisms, interests. We really don't get anything of his personality or why Maggie falls in love with him other than he reminds her of his father. Due to the lack of depth, I found myslef skimming my way to the end.
AudreyLovesParis
Oct 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm about 80 or so pages in, and have two observations so far. One, I am not sure why the author feels it necessary to mention a song from the 60's on practically every page, and two, why do I have the feeling this is going to get weirdly creepy in the romance department? (I can't say any more than that for fear of giving away something in the plot.)

********
Done the book, and I was right about the creep factor.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read this several years ago and rated it a 6 out of 10. It is a story about a divorced woman in her forties who decides to go back to visit the lake in Canada where she met her first love and eventually "broke his heart". This time she buys the old inn where she had worked, and meets the son of her old flame.

I can't remember the details about why I gave it a 6/10; it could have been the style, or maybe it just didn't ring true. I should have written it down.
Gerry
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie’s 46, her daughters are grown, and her husband has just left her for a 20-something paralegal. She decides to return to Canada, where she worked summers as a college student, to find her first love, whose heart she’d broken 25 years before. He’s gone, though, but left behind a son, with whom she falls in love. A very romantic and enjoyable read.
Rita Mahan
Maggie's first love took place in 1967 and so did mine so guess I enjoyed this book for that reason.
We never really forget our "first love" and after Maggie's 20 year marriage ends, she heads back
to Little Bear Lake to find the life she left behind. Her best friend is there, the Harvest Moon is for sale and thus begins her tale.
Pam
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Maggie, a 46-yr-old woman is left by her husband for a younger woman after almost 25 yrs of marriage -- she retursn to Canada whre she worked summers at The Harvest Moon. She buys it, reopens it. She has come to recapture her feelings she had for her 1st love, Robert Flaubert. He has died but she falls in love w/ his son Eliot.
Rena Searles
Very enjoyable book, leaning into the romance category, but well-written. This was a great quick-read with vividly beautiful word pictures. I could actually hear the loons calling on the lake and feel the early morning mists. Easily relatable characters for me with a story about my generation and its music & poetry. Lovely escape fiction!
Amanda McCrohan
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! I really love books where strong female characters reinvent themselves & "Dancing at the Harvest Moon" is definitely one of those novels. I really want to read more books by K.C. McKinnon. What a wonderful read!
Eunice  S.
My mom's friend lend this book to me last year and only read it cause it was one of those days when I didn't have a new book and I wanted to read something so I read this and thought it was okay. nothing special about it.
Kathy C.
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gail
After Maggie's husband of 20 years leaves her, she returns home to Canada. She is determined to reopen the Harvest Moon, a local club. Maggie also meets up with Robbie, her old flame and befriend Claire.
I wish that K.C. McKinnon would write more books!
  • Rico (Rock Creek Six, #3)
  • Maximum Exposure
  • Steve's Story (Circle of Friends, #2)
  • Texas Destiny / Texas Glory / Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Twice a Bride (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #4)
  • Scandal's Daughter (Series, #1)
  • The Art of Desire (Berkley Heat, #1)
  • Children of Salem
  • Tamara's Spirit (Corralled #2)
  • The Seduction of Shamus O'Rourke (Jamesville, #4)
  • Wild Oats (Wild Oats, #1)
  • The Lover
  • Naughty Bits 2: An Anthology of Short Erotic Fiction
  • Michelle's Men (Coopers' Companions, #2)
  • Cowboy Up
  • Highland Obsession
  • Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval, #2)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • At Wave's End
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49