Start by marking “Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, Volume 1

Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, Volume 1

(Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection #1)

Produced by AH Comics Inc. (Titan: An Alternate History, Delta, Hobson's Gate, Jewish Comix Anthology) and edited by Hope Nicholson (Brok Windsor, Lost Heroes, Nelvana of the Northern Lights), MOONSHOT brings together dozens of creators from across North America to contribute comic book stories showcasing the rich heritage and identity of indigenous storytelling.
Published 2015 by Alternate History Comics Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Moonshot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshot

Rick
This was a really well done anthology. While some of the stories are little more than vignettes, many are powerful and all are certainly heartfelt offerings. There's a wide range of topics and themes included, just as there are a wide range of peoples and cultures being represented. I particularly liked the story of how Coyote "helped" put the stars in the sky. I've heard a different versions many years ago, which is possibly my favorite story of Coyote; this one is quite different, but has some ...more
Dusty
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Moonshot, a compilation of comics by and about members of indigenous communities in the United States and Canada, draws its name from a Buffy Sainte-Marie song about dying and becoming a star. It is an appropriate name not only because the collected stories pay respect to the creators' forebears, but also because many of them feature characters traveling between earth and space. In one, several animals throw pebbles into the forest sky, constructing the constellations and bringing light to the dark night ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I didn't absolutely love every story but this is a really high quality anthology, with beautiful, thoughtful choices of stories and artwork, some of which were breath taking. Favourite stories were: "Vision Quest Echo" (about a deaf Cherokee girl), "Ochek" (Cree story explaining where a constellation comes from), "Coyote and the Pebbles" (Caddo story about where the stars come from), "The Qallupiluk: Forgiven" (about a scary Inuit mythical creature from the sea), "Copper Heart" (historical tale ...more
Emmkay
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful collection of 13 short indigenous comics, a genre that really provides an opportunity to showcase the indigenous storytelling tradition. It feels and looks stunning. Because they're so brief, the individual contributions act essentially as tasters, and some were more to my taste than others. Neat to be exposed to what is clearly a vibrant scene, with which I wasn't previously familiar (eg indigenous steampunk is a thing!).
Tobin Elliott
I'm a relative newcomer to Canada, able to trace back only four generations before I run into a relative that immigrated to Canada instead of being born here. I have no native blood in me whatsoever. And, if I'm honest, I know exceedingly little about Canada's indigenous population, who walked this land for generations before we showed up and fucked everything up.

Still, for all of that, I found myself captivated both by the stories and legends presented in this collection, as well as
Meepelous
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While it is always true that there will be some stories in any short story collection that you appreciate more then others, the sheer level of professionalism that went into this anthology rendered each story interesting in its own way. A lot of effort from many different people went into this book and it really shows.

It was very interesting to be reading Michael A Sheyahshe's Native Americans In Comic Books at the same time. The one being an amazing example of what the other is pointing toward
Elizabeth
Moonshot first caught my attention with its beautiful cover, and kept my attention with its concept, that of highlighting indigenous voices to tell stories from unique and underrepresented backgrounds. It absolutely lived up to both it's cover and concept.

The comic book industry has often failed to do enough to serve stories from POC authors and characters. This book acknowledges that oversight, and strives to do something about it. Taking stories by and about North American natives,
Gina
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection. Many of the inclusions are short, only giving you a tantalizing glimpse, but that accomplishes the goal.

My main recommendation is to pace yourself, taking on one story at a time and then doing something else while you digest it. There are so many different approaches and styles and themes.

There is some really gorgeous artwork, but I want to call special attention to David Mack's work as we are introduced to Maya Lopez and her hearing impairment. There are childlike drawings,
Aphrodite
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and beautiful images.
Magdelanye
Lush illustrations accompany the stories in this book of graphic short stories.
All were of interest, a couple were really amazing,hence 5 stars

Matt
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this first volume! I found some of these stories to be exceptionally beautiful! I look forward to reading Volume 2!
The Library Ladies
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

I had another impulsive moment at work recently, where I went to our New Books Wall and took a look at what there was to offer. Since these books don’t go to the usual request list, sometimes you can get really lucky and find something that’s in demand or brand new. I was immediately taken in by the gorgeous cover on a new graphic novel collection. I mean, DAMN, look at the cover for “Moonshot (Vol.1)”! Is it not staggering and beautiful!? I gave it some ti
Josée
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Moonshot contains different tales that cover quite a few genres. Interspersed between the stories, is one novella accompanied by images, a poem, some stand-alone artwork, and descriptions of each story beforehand.

As a whole I enjoyed it, and I found none of the extras took away from the stories. But, like any anthology there were some stories I loved, and others that I didn't. Usually the ones I didn't like, I felt like the story was too short... they felt rushed as if there was exposition miss
Julianne (Outlandish Lit)
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases, own, comic
When I first heard about this project, I was both very excited and kind of nervous. I had never before read short fiction in comic form. I didn't really have any idea that it was possible to tell an entire story within ten pages of panels. But this collection showed me how much can be pulled off. And it taught me an amazing wealth of things about the indigenous cultures of North America.

The stories range from visiting the origins of folklore, to seeing these stories' modern impact, to brilli
Maggie Gordon
Moonshot is a collection of speculative comics about Indigenous people, mostly by Indigenous people. As with all collections, there are some fantastic pieces and some weaker pieces; however, two things stand out to me the most. The first is the use of speculative fiction and Indigenous themes. It's wonderful to see stories of Indigenous people in the future since they are so often wrongfully thought of as peoples stuck in the past. Secondly, the art in this volume is gorgeous. There are some tru ...more
Tyler Kroon
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An anthology of indigenous comics and poetry, Moonshot shares ancient Native American stories in more modern formats. The tales chosen are representative of the wide spectrum of indigenous cultures, and include creative reimaginings of these older stories, including sci-fi and steampunk adaptations, among others. This anthology is an eye-opening glimpse into the timelessness of storytelling in indigenous populations, and a testament to how traditions can be passed down through countless generati ...more
Shawn
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
* I'm excited by the importance of a project like this. Pairing authors and illustrators from across the continent to tell stories from their history and identity is a huge challenge.
* The art in most vignettes is good, with some excellent character design and styles stealing the show.
* The tales go well beyond the myth and magic normally presented as "Native Stories"

Minor complaints with editing and lettering in places, some stories jump oddly.

All in all, hig
Lindsay
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lindsay by: Book Riot Community
Most of these short comics felt like they were just beginning to scratch the surface and could have been fleshed out, but I am so happy this project was undertaken and look forward to reading more of these authors/artists in depth.
Samantha
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent anthology of comics.
Alison
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novel
This is such an amazing idea to bring together these stories, experiences, and concepts in a graphic format. Lovely.
Maia
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book so much more than I actually did. It's a great concept- a collection of comics all by Indigenous authors and illustrators. It just didn't really come together.
Erin
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great anthology from a group that is typically underserved in the world of comics (at least in my experience) and I really enjoyed reading these stories. Some of them weren't to my taste but I still enjoyed the experience as a whole. My three favorite stories were:

Coyote and the Pebbles
Written: Dayton Endmonds, Ill. Micah Farritor
The dreamy colored pencil art is absolutely gorgeous and I loved the personification of all the animals!

Copper Heart
Written: Elizabeth LaPensee, Ph.D/>Copper/>Coyote
Sian Jones
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
The introduction of this collection acknowledges you might have bought the collection for the amazing cover art, and they are not wrong in my case. But what the cover promises, the collection delivers -- astonishingly beautiful art, as well as inventive, intricate, meaningful storytelling. I enjoyed all the comics included here, but I have favorites, of course:
* "Vision Quest: Echo" -- don't mind me; just off to go buy ALL of the Echo comics.
* "Ochek" - Gorgeous, just gorgeous.
* "Th
Sarah Morgan Sandquist
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Even if you refuse to read a single word on any page, this book will wow you. The art is original, varied and rich in texture and detail, with some classic comic book visuals thrown in for the fun of it. This anthology features adaptations of lesser known folklore from an astounding range of Indigenous tribes (Alaska through Canada, to the SW US). Some stories are taken into a hypothetical future to unfold and it's a joy to see the cultures ring true in a sci-fi setting.

The first story is espec
Nicole Brewer
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really beautiful, careful, respectful anthology of short comics. They ranged from classic tales to sci-fi, and although they weren't necessarily all up my alley I really enjoyed reading this entire collection, cover to cover, including the foreword, introduction, and afterword. This is exactly the kind of thoughtfulness that I hope all publishers can start to embody as literature starts to open up and really start representing *all* stories!

It is not the responsi
Mara Shaw
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many good conversations with Indigenous Canadians and writings point to the need to remind us all that Indigenous culture is far from a historical relic — it is alive and modern despite all of the attempts to kill it. Moonshot leaves no doubt. Indigenous culture in Canada is vibrant, talented and creative.

Wonderful stories and illustrations, a few traditional, many non-traditional. What a pleasure.

One story completely lost me and I remembered that I am not a visual artist, nor the d
Brenda D
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is difficult to rate this collection of 14 different graphic short stories - a few are quite amazing - some are just confusing. Perhaps the stories were simply too short and this limited the ability to tell a cogent story. One has to acknowledge that the graphics are often spectacular! In terms of narrative, I was particularly impacted by "The Quallupiluk: Forgiven" although this is really more like a short story with a few illustrations, not a "comic". Overall, my rating of this collection w ...more
Eric
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not that much of a comics guy, much as I cut my teeth on classics like Peanuts, Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Bloom County, and Calvin & Hobbes. So the brilliance of the artwork in Moonshot hit me hard. Some of this artwork could and should be hanging on the walls of museums. Combined with strong Indigenous storytelling with something of a First Nations focus and something of a focus on stories from time immemorial (though of course also set in a range of presents and futures), this mak ...more
Linden
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, tcaf, anthology
This is a very inspiring collection. I get a sense of reverence from the editor and publisher's notes, who put this together. They consulted and collaborated with elders in the communities that stories originated from. Writers and authors worked together to ensure the stories were told in ways that reflected their purpose, rather than strictly reproducing a particular form.

Overall, the collection is an inspiring reminder of what traditional tales are meant to be. The variety in conte
Meredith
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not all of these are folktales, but enough of them are that I feel comfortable saying this is mostly a folktales book. And it's pretty great. I really enjoyed (most of) the different writing styles and the art. The stories themselves were also really interesting. Some of them I didn't like very much, but they're all short, so if you're not enjoying one, a different one will be along soon. I'm looking forward to Volume 2.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Get Graphic: #3 - Moonshot, Vol. 1 2 5 Nov 16, 2016 02:42PM
Get Graphic: #3 - Moonshot, Vol. 1 2 8 Nov 16, 2016 02:41PM

• When We Were Alone
  • The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel
  • When I Was Eight
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Ten: Never Give Up
  • Fever in Urbicand (Cities of the Fantastic, #2)
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • Spera, Volume 2
  • A Short History of Fantasy
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 5 (Children of the Sea, #5)
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 7
  • Welcome Song for Baby
  • The Art of Assassin's Creed III
  • You Hold Me Up
  • Hiawatha and the Peacemaker
Hope Nicholson is the owner of Winnipeg-based publishing Bedside Press. She's an ardent comics fan passionate about bringing new stories to light, and author of the book "The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen" which shines light on characters forgotten by comics history.

Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection (2 books)
  • Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, Volume 2 (Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, #2)