Start by marking “The Night Parade” as Want to Read:
The Night Parade

The Night Parade

The last thing Saki Yamamoto wants to do for her summer vacation is trade in exciting Tokyo for the antiquated rituals and bad cell reception of her grandmother's village. Preparing for the Obon ceremony is boring. Then the local kids take an interest in Saki and she sees an opportunity for some fun, even if it means disrespecting her family's ancestral shrine on a malicio ...more
Published January 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about The Night Parade, please sign up.
Elizabeth (Sam) You can only read some books on this site. On the book's page, the option will be below the place where you would rate the book. It will say "Read…moreYou can only read some books on this site. On the book's page, the option will be below the place where you would rate the book. It will say "Read book* *Different edition" Click on "Read book" and it will go to the book.

A Tale of Two Cities is one of the books available on Good Reads.(less)

Taylor Knight
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received an ARC copy of this book via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book so much! I loved the plot and the writing was awesome. I loved how much Japanese culture was in this book as well. I learned so much and I think that's really great, especially in a Middle Grade book.
I love all the creatures and the mythology.
I liked the characters and I really loved following Saki on her adventure.
I do like the concept of this book more than the actual execution. Saki was bo
Lata
While enjoyable, this novel reminded me heavily of Studio Ghibli's "Spirited Away". Which was better.
Saki is annoyed to be spending a week with her grandmother during school vacation, where it'll be chores, almost no mobile reception, and just boring, boring, boring. She's resentful, borderline disrespectful, and slapdash in her efforts to prepare things for a festival. When she gets involved with some village kids and lets something evil loose, Saki has three nights, during the spirits' Night P
Giovanna
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ebook copy of this book via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/3.75

The night parade was a delightful read. It's smart, funny and such a well-plotted middle grade book that I couldn't help but like it a lot, in spite of it not being my favourite genre anymore.

I really liked that the book showed that the author knows what she is talking about. Not only the book itself is really cute, but the elements that were taken from japanese mythology were interesting. It's the mai
Tasha
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-arc
I'm having a very hard time reviewing this book. While it certainly wasn't bad, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would.
I found the main character, Saki, slightly annoying. Later on I realised, it might've been her age (13 years old). When starting the book I didn't realise it was a middle grade book but it makes sense.

I enjoyed the Japanese mythology and culture mentions. Some words had me a bit confused but luckily my Kindle was able to explain most of them to me.
Another thing I
Heather Duff
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Being totally obsessed with all things Japanese I hoped that The Night Parade would be a book I loved and you know what it did not disappoint at all.

Saki travels with her family to her see her grandmother, a journey that she really doesn't want to take. As a teen she wants a mobile phone signal, wifi and Starbucks not traditional ceremonies and horrible local kids.

The family are their to take part in the Obon ceremony to honour their departed ancestors, during the festivities Saki meets the loca
Jared Millet
I picked this up as an ARC at the 2015 ALA convention and read the whole thing on the flights home. It knocked my socks off and made me immediately want to rewatch all my Hayao Miyazaki DVDs. That's a good thing.

Saki is a typical girl in middle-school obsessed with fitting in with her cohort and making sure she has enough bars on her cell phone. The last thing she wants to do for her summer vacation is travel out to her grandmother's place in the country for the ancient, traditional Obon festivi
La La
Brilliant! The Imagery was stellar and the story was relatable. This would make a wonderful anime. What a spectacular way to finish up my year in reading! I was approved for this eARC , via Netgalley, in return for an honest review. I will be reviewing this title on both my MG blog, Paper Dragons, and my main blog. I will add the link when it is posted.
Deniz
Jan 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF
Just not for me
I really couldn't stand Saki
She was just way to self involved - I tried several time restarted the book on 3 occasions but I just can't get further than 20%
Sionna

I don't know why I wasn't pulled into this book. It has so much that I like-- Japanese culture, Japanese folklore, fantasy elements, character development, etc. I guess I just wasn't feeling it?

Let's talk first about the characters-- or rather character. Saki is our main character who is going on this journey. We see what kind of person she is and she isn't the most likeable, although I really do pity her knowing what her alternatives to her given situation are. Finding a friend group
Maud
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
I had pretty high expectations. At the same time, whenever I read a YA/MG book based in Japan I always feel a bit disappointed. But nonetheless, I will continue my search for a good one!

With this one I thought that the world building was very interesting and a lot of fun. We follow a girl who has to work through this parade to lift a curse and the whole world (and story) feel very Miyazaki-esq. The world was definitely my favourite part of it.

The rest of it sadly felt a bit bland. I thought tha
Amber
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-library
A young girl goes with her family to celebrate the night parade obon festival but when she accidentally desecrates her family's shrine with some local children, she is given a death curse. Can she lift the curse before its too late? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good middle grade read about family, fairytales and more. If you enjoy these types of stories, be sure to check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I received an ARC copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Although I didn’t find this novel exceptional as far as I am concerned as an adult (simple writing style and predictable character development), I think it would nonetheless make a good read for its intended middle-grade audience.

The story is easy enough to follow. A middle school girl (Saki) forced to spend a few days for a traditional ritual at her grandmother’s, far from her city friends, cell phone and usual activit
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

The Night Parade was a fun and enjoyable story. The first few chapters were a bit slow and made it a bit hard to get into the story as most of those take place in the real world and the main character Saki isn't too likeable, especially at first. But once the curse is set and Saki enters the night parade I really enjoyed this book.

Saki is a young girl who has to visit her grandma during summer vacation. Saki is not happy and would much rather be
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Diverse and beautifully written, The Night Parade offers something wonderful to children's literature.

When I first saw the cover for The Night Parade, I fell in love with it. After reading it,
I had all those warm satisfied feelings you get of a story well told. A story filled with odd and strange creatures straight from Japanese folklore. Beautiful family traditions blended with dark enchantments, and young heroine, one that is a bit spoiled and self-centred, who ends up on a quest to right a

Wendy
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My original review was posted to my blog at: http://www.literaryfeline.com/2016/01...

The Night Parade by Kathryn Tanquary
Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, 2016
Fantasy (Middle Grade); 320 pgs
Source: NetGalley

I do not often read books that fall into the Middle Grade category, but this one intrigued me--and it came recommended by my friend and fellow blogger, Caspette of Narrative Causality. It was the setting (Japan) and the mention of Japanese mythology that convinced me to give it a try.

Saki is not happy
Luna
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the descriptions in The Night Parade and how Kathryn Tanquary built the world for the reader. Some of the spirits, such as the fox, were familiar but most of them I didn’t know.

In part The Night Parade reminded me of Spirited Away, with a young girl on an otherworldly adventure in the spirit world. Extraordinary and magical creatures around her and nothing quite as it seems.

I wasn’t quite as gripped by the book as I expected. Certainly there were moments that I loved but I didn’t conne
Rachel
Cute, imaginative story. I really disliked the main character at first but as her character grew up and learned some lessons, I liked her more. For me the book became more enjoyable when the Night Parade started and she began interacting with all the different spirits. The object spirits were my favorite! Even though this is juvenile lit, I think the story is dark and interesting enough to please young adults and adults.
Orlanda Machado
Original Blog Review: https://myescapebookscoffeetea.wordpr...

My Blog: http://myescapebookscoffeetea.wordpre...

My Instagram: http://instagram.com/blog.myescape/

Buy/Pre-Order this book from The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/The-Nig...

review

* I received an ARC copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, so don’t expect less than that, I will always give my honest opinion, like it or not *

So this was one of those books that was not available for request on Netga
Joan
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
One summer, thirteen years old Saki was looking forward to hanging out with her friends in Tokyo and have fun, but her parents dragged her to the mountains to visit her grandmother. Stuck with her family, she had no choice but to do her boring chores and participate in the Obon festival. At the night of the festival dance, she met a group of village kids who dared her to join them for a game at the graveyard. Wanting to prove herself as part of the "cool gang", Saki sneaked away from her family ...more
Briana
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Initial Thoughts:

This book probably sold on concept more than execution. The idea of a book set in Japan laden with Japanese folklore will appeal to a YA market on the lookout for more diversity. However, the mythical creatures Saki meets and must defeat are a pretty random of amalgamation. Creatures, curses, rules of magic--everything is invented when it's needed and there's no apparent logic or consistent overarching system of magic. I wouldn't accept this in any other fantasy novel, so I can
Devann
This was a really fun book! Definitely reminded me a bit of a Ghibli movie [Spirited Away, Totoro], but it's definitely not a 'rip-off' by any means and has it's own unique story that you can enjoy in addition to those other things. It was nice to see a middle grade novel like this that focuses on japanese customs and mythology because you definitely don't see a lot of that. I really liked the setting and structure of the story and while Saki was annoying at the beginning, she definitely grew up ...more
Anya
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the dive into Japanese myths and magical creatures and Saki's growth from a spoiled brat to a hero. The pacing is wonderful and gets into the adventure right away. Things end fairly predictably, but lots of fun.
SARIT
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book took me to the times that I use to watch Japanese anime. I am sorry to say that that this days I rarely do it anymore. It is based on a very rich spiritual world that is so different from the western one and it remind me the first time that I encountered this world - It was in Inuyasha.

But first let talk a little about the plot - the heroin is Saki - 13 years old that grow up in the big city - Tokyo. Every year her parents are taking her and her younger brother to the country to visit
Ashley Hennen
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-tbr
Closer to 4.75 but this was a great read! Definitely darker than I thought for a middle grade.

Such a good story! Based on mythology in Japan. The author spent a lot of time in Japan and studied Japanese culture and lore--it really shows. The cover art is beautiful too. 💕

As someone who also studied Japanese society/culture and was able to go to Japan for two weeks in college, I really enjoyed this book.

The spirits--both kind and malevolent--were interesting and full of character. I grew to really
David James
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Saki Yamamoto is a normal girl from Tokyo, Japan who lives a busy life and tries to fit in at her school. When she goes to her grandma's over the weekend. Then, everything changes. When she unfortunately meets the village's delinquents, she is forced into a malicious dare and awakens a death curse she needs to reverse in 3 days with the help of 3 spirit guides.

This book reminded me of Spirited Away (which I love watching) so decided to get it. Although not as great as I thought it was, its good.
Jay
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is considered a kids book, I loved the storyline. At first it was a little rough to read but that changed as the story continued. So many trials and things to overcome. Change was made for the better. If the author turned this book into a series, I think that would be amazing!
Paxton Cockrell
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When one of my friends told me this was like a Miyazaki film in book form, I knew I had to read it, and it was pretty much exactly as described. A plethora of fantastical creatures, characters and situations, with an engaging story and a relatable protagonist.
Samantha
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so whimsically fantastic! Studio Ghibli meets Alice in Wonderland!
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
The worst thing that could happen to Saki Yamamoto, 13, is having to spend three days at her grandmother's remote house. It is the festival of Obon when families return to their homes, visit and clean the graves of their ancestors, and leave offerings so that their spirits may return and visit their relatives for one night.

But all Saki wants is to be in Tokyo with her friends, instead of no where with no cell service to keep in touch with them. On her first evening, Saki, her parents, brother an
Sunshyne
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got a duplicate in return for a legitimate audit

The Night Parade was a fun and pleasant story. The initial couple of parts were a touch moderate and made it a touch hard to get into the story as the greater part of those occur in this present reality and the primary character Saki isn't excessively agreeable, particularly at first. In any case, once the condemnation is situated and Saki enters the night parade I truly appreciated this book.

Saki is a young lady who needs to visit her grandmot
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye
  • Suitcase of Stars (Enchanted Emporium, #1; La Bottega Battibaleno, #1)
  • The Monster on the Road Is Me
  • Cleo (Cleo #1)
  • Eden's Wish (Eden of the Lamp, #1)
  • A Clatter of Jars (A Tangle of Knots, #2)
  • The Time of the Fireflies
  • Arcadia (Advent Trilogy, #3)
  • Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters (Momotaro, #1)
  • Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)
  • A Nearer Moon
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 1
  • Winterfrost
  • The Traitor of Belltroll (The Balance Keepers, #3)
  • Stiltskin
  • Joplin, Wishing
  • Will in Scarlet
“For this world, which lives only through belief, being forgotten is our ultimate death curse. Had you not come, we would have slowly faded until nothing remained. Do not blame yourself for the machinations of fate.” 3 likes