Start by marking “The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #1)

The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps

(The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps #1)

Since leaving his homeland, the earthbound demigod Demane has been labeled a sorcerer. With his ancestors' artifacts in hand, the Sorcerer follows the Captain, a beautiful man with song for a voice and hair that drinks the sunlight.

The two of them are the descendants of the gods who abandoned the Earth for Heaven, and they will need all the gifts those divine ancestors lef
Published September 1st 2015 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Matthias
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mighty somewhat explicit - there is some kissing, and a scene where Demane remembers making love repeatedly - but isn't very graphic. The most it gets into…moresomewhat explicit - there is some kissing, and a scene where Demane remembers making love repeatedly - but isn't very graphic. The most it gets into explicitly is talking about the captain liked to bathe afterwards and about Demane straddling the captain before doing it a second time.(less)

karen
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
i liked the style and the energy of this book very much. it’s an appealing mash-up of traditional fantasy adventure tropes peppered with harlem renaissance/jazz age cadence:

The horseman pulled up short. (Breeze blowing northwesterly still: Fat-Man’s bowels let go)

and others more modern and hip-hop-rambunctious:

”You almost got him! That was gold, my nigga! Not fake, not fool’s, not dross: GOLD. Nigga, it was some official shit you just did, almost beating the captain like that! That, my nigga, wa
Erik
DSKL@()*$SJDL#NRK#JNFLKNGSN@KMNCJNKS#(*$&FJNSRKJWR ARGH!!

Okay. Vexation voided, frustration exfoliated.

So I’m gonna lay into this mafa. I gonna take a machete upside this beyotch, gonna show you guts, some shock-of-white-bone, a little bit o critique hoodoo.

But before I do, allow me to expound on why I must needs wage this figurative war. I believe in the ‘Challenging’ book [exhibits A, B, & C]. A disparaging of the easy pleasure read being not my intent, I nevertheless offer the followi
Althea Ann
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After seeing literally dozens of reviews for this novella, I had to see for myself what was going on here... I'd read only one other story from Wilson previously, and it didn't blow me away - but this - this was great.

A few of the reviews I'd seen criticized the style as being opaque and/or confusing. I didn't find it so at all. On the contrary, it was much more straightforward than the other story I'd read ('The Devil in America.') Sure, there's a gradual reveal of information which adds depth
TheBookSmugglers
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish to preface this review by saying I was entranced by this story and I loved it with all my heart – the same heart that was PULLED FROM MY CHEST AND STOMPED ON by its ending. Oh, look: my heart bleeding at Kai Ashante Wilson’s feet.

The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps follows a caravan traversing a dangerous road.

It’s a story about brothers in arms, the army of warriors hired to defend the caravan. The bothers all stem from different backgrounds, with different languages and cultures. They are all
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Completely and utterly marvellous. Gorgeous language, amazingly vivid characters and landscape, fast moving plot. And to top it off then it goes and plays with that boundary between fantasy and science fiction and challenging notions of technology and magic from a whole different perspective. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Richard Derus
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5* of five

Just...wow. Gorgeous. I'll pull a real review out of the tears and snot as soon as the jukiere's tusks rip themselves out of my flesh.

So, because I found a pull-quote from one of my reviews unattributed on Amazon, back to posting links to my blog.
#ReadingIsResistance to homophobia
THE SORCERER OF THE WILDEEPS http://tinyurl.com/y9mz4kkz

First of a series of SFnal fantasy works set in a distant future post-apocalyptic Africa. Delightful reading, beautiful prose-mongering, deeply s
Julio Genao
Jun 02, 2016 marked it as to-read
oh, yes.

yes, yes, yes, yes.

soon, beloved.

SOON.
Nikki
I was all braced to love this, based on the reviews that I’d read. I wanted to, especially because the world is interesting, the relationships and the fact that it features a gay love story, and because it’s written half in vernacular, half in something more formal, which keeps it very much alive.

However, I had two problems. One was with the structure of the story. The last fifty pages were frenetic and packed full, exploding with stuff. The first hundred-fifty, however… barely went anywhere, an
Lindsay
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Demane is a man with a family legacy that marks him as separate from other men, such that his companions refer to him as the Sorcerer. He is deeply loyal to his Captain, a man also marked by power but of a different sort, and their band of mercenary guardsmen. They find themselves at the city Mother of Waters where they hear stories of a malevolence that has made its home directly on the route that their caravan plans to take.

Language is the star of this unusual fantasy tale, and you can see how
Book Riot Community
The first in the Tor.com Publishing’s line of novellas, The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by the inimitable and powerful Kai Ashante Wilson is the story equivalent of the shot heard around the world. A rich, immersive, heartbreaking study in the character of Demane, one of the last grandchildren of the gods, and the mysterious, beautiful Captain, Wilson’s world is full of characters that honestly reflect the world we live, each with their own language and homeland and life, that they bring with them ...more
Timothy Urges
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tell us, my son: how are you faring in those strange lands, so far from home? Whom have you chosen to walk with, to talk to: some good woman, some kind man?

Demane the Sorcerer joins Isa the Captain and others charged with guarding a caravan of merchants journeying through the Wildeeps.

Demane is faced with the divinity in his DNA, new love, and a necromantic beast that stalks the caravan.

A challenging and original novella blending science and fantasy. I am very interested in seeing more of thi
G.
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Challenging, sometimes brutal, but beyond rewarding. What Kai Ashante Wilson does with language is amazing. The structure could be tighter, but I'm quite impressed.
Paul O'Neill
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
It was okay..... The characters reminded me of Joe Abercrombie, so if you're a fan of his, you'll probably enjoy this. Although it did have a few problems.

The quest isn't really inspiring, it's just a set of characters looking to get someplace because their caravan master tells them they have to.

The book could've been a lot better if it was longer, instead the author tries to cram way too much into a small amount of pages.

And lastly on my rant list, is the fact that it suffered from 'reread sy
Allison
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*WAVES ARMS* Read this! And if it's anything to go by, go ahead and pre-order all the other Tor.com novellas as well. BUT THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT THIS GLORIOUS BOOK.

"Sumptuous" doesn't really do the language here justice. I read a ton of short fiction with language that I truly enjoy, but nothing novella or novel-length in quite some time. This ended that drought. And the plotting sure isn't bad either (IT'S GODDAMN GREAT). The dialogue is fantastic, the world-building is amazing, and the action is
Liz
Jun 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Alas, the sometimes pseudo-intellectual, over the top, terrible (nearly incomprehensible for me at times) writing and completely unfitting slang, as well as the confusing setting of the novella made enjoying it impossible for me.
I found myself perpetually frowning or going back every few pages around the middle of the novella unsuccessfully trying to comprehend what had happend and even more importantly - why.

Unfortunately, not my cup of tea at all.
Enso
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS!!!

This thing blew my socks off. It is short, evocative, and beautiful. I just went and bought everything else Wilson has published.

This isn't a real review. Just go read this fucking book.
Gabi
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

The last 20% were beautiful. The words not so much told a story, but painted a picture filled with emotion. Yet I had a hard struggle with the first 80%, sometimes having to re-read pages to try to get into the flow.
Thomas Wagner
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
A launch title among Tor.com Publishing's late-2015 novella (or short novel, depending on how finely you choose to split hairs) line, Kai Ashante Wilson's The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps calls to mind the possibly apocryphal review Dorothy Parker is said to have bestowed upon a book by no less than Benito Mussolini. It is not a story to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.

All right, that may be a tad overly dramatic. But the advance hype surrounding Wilson's story is, regr
Wiebke (1book1review)
Oh my, this book. It took me a while to get into it, even rereading the first chapters because I didn't understand a word, but after that I just fell deeper and deeper in love with it.
The characters, especially Demane and Captain, so beautiful.
The language, so strange and difficult for me to fully comprehend, painted colorful pictures and once understood gave that overall tingly feeling that just makes you smile.
The story, so interwoven and straight forward it felt like a bedtime story.

Listen
Joseph
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Looks like sword & sorcery on the surface -- the titular sorcerer is part of a group of mercenaries escorting a caravan through debatable lands, and the caravan is being stalked by a nasty beastie -- but with intimations of much more going on beneath the surface. Skillful and playful use of language, ranging from more elevated descriptive passages to the mercenaries' varied sorts of vernacular, sort of a recasting of American inner city dialogue into a sword & sorcery setting.

Occasionall
Robyn
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
3.5 that I'm rounding up to 4 for originality. I needed just a little more exposition in this novella filled with action and heroes to fully connect and understand the story.
Allison Hurd
I really enjoyed this. At once a story that feels like it would be at home among Yoruba myths and a loving nod to a more modern audience who maybe doesn't see themselves in fairy tales very often, I loved the risks the author took, and I think they largely paid off.

CONTENT WARNING: (no actual spoilers, just a list of topics) (view spoiler)

Things to love:

-The characters. Demane and Captain, all
Bobby
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went back and forth between 4 and 5 stars on this. I have to give it 5 stars in the end, even though there is an ambiguous ending that really annoyed me. As far as I know there isn't a sequel planned, so we are just left hanging. Some people like that, but I hate that kind of thing. I can handle sad endings, but not non-existent endings.

That being said, I still loved the book for all of it's uniqueness. I'm big on world building, and the world we got was rich and different than most fantasy. I
Stevie Kincade
May 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
"One of the best reads of the year they said..."

This is an extremely protentious bromance fantasy about a warrior and a mage going to fight a tiger-thing. It uses the language of the "street" to tell the story. I can't recall ever reading the word "skullf*cked" in a Fantasy before. The author goes for "look at me WRITING" prose that constantly distracts from the meagre plot. I did not like it one bit.

My favourite review I have read on Goodreads is Erik's review of this book. It's why this review
Jemppu
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Lovely and unexpected, with wholly unique language.
Erica
I read this during my first of the year break. It should have taken me an afternoon. It took me three days.
Part of the reason was that all the peace and quiet I had put aside for myself never actually manifested so I was still only catching moments here and there to curl up with my book.
The other reason, though, was that it took me a solid 60 pages (out of 200-ish) to get a grip on the writing. The flow, the meter, the words, the voices, they were all so jangly in my reading mind at first. Nothi
Kaitlin
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a bit of an odd one for me because on the one hand there were a million really interesting tidbits and glimpses at the magic-science of this world. However, despite my fascination with the ideas of the magic-science combo, I just don't think the story truly got going to the extent I wanted it to and although the ending was touching, I do think there could have been a lot more happening in the story to make it have far more impact...

This story follows Demane, a descendant of a God and a
Alissa
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Probably the language play was above me (and I'm not speaking about the quirky French and Spanish phrases, which were funny). I followed the story all right, but several of the lore references and the oblique meanings evaded me.

I liked it? I think so, it was fascinating, this estrangement feeling, in a confusing kind of way; the characters - all of them - were singularly intriguing; the cross-sensorial descriptions, truly delectable. The book is short, slightly over 200 pages and considering the
dathomira
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
i cnt talk about it.

eta: ok now i CAN talk about it. sorcerer of the wildeeps is PROOF that you do not need to be in palaces describing opulent wealth to write beautiful, lush fantasy. everything about this from the prose, to the paratext, to (view spoiler) was so god damn beautiful. his relationship with isa and the brothers were so moving and the goddamn dialogue. MAN. i dont know enough about wilson, but i imagine he's from
Mimi
Changed my mind. Not rounding up. The more I think about this book, the more I'm annoyed by it. Maybe it will benefit from a reread, maybe not. Taking the second book off my TBR shelf.

* * * * *

2.5 stars, rounding up for the premise and world building, but truth be told, this was only a "meh" read for me because I was bored for a good chunk of it. I took a short break after reaching the 30% mark when I felt the boredom settling in. Thought it was good idea to wait for a better mood, and it was. B
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Sorcerer of the Wildeeps" Buddy Read 31 58 Jun 17, 2019 09:38PM
Beautifully Writt...: March Reading 2 19 Mar 28, 2016 10:04PM

• Of Sorrow and Such
  • The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
  • Taste of Marrow (River of Teeth, #2)
  • The Ruin of Angels (Craft Sequence, #6)
  • Half-Resurrection Blues (Bone Street Rumba, #1)
  • The Mystic Marriage (Alpennia, #2)
  • The Root (Wrath & Athenaeum #1)
  • Imaro
  • The Language of Knives
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016: People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue #73)
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe
  • Signal to Noise
  • Infidel (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #2)
  • The Drowning Eyes
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • An Accident of Stars (Manifold Worlds, #1)
  • Heiresses of Russ 2011
Kai Ashante Wilson's stories 'Super Bass' and the Nebula-nominated 'The Devil in America' can be read online gratis at Tor.com.

His story «Légendaire.» can be read in the anthology Stories for Chip, which celebrates the legacy of science fiction grandmaster Samuel Delany.

His debut short novel The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps won the 2016 Crawford Award. Kai Ashante Wilson lives in New York City.
“Of all words, none more purely distills the futility of human hope, mortal dreams. Did we but know the end is foreordained and soon, who could go on making such tender plans—someday I shall run my fingers through my lover’s hair—when the very next step we take shall pitch us into the sinkhole, there to be crushed to nothingness, smothered in an instant, by a thousand tonnes of earth? “Someday.” Ha!” 5 likes
“They would all reach the next wells alive, said Master Suresh, so long as grown men didn’t sit and weep, boo hoo hoo like some sad whore, her six best boys lost this week to marriage. We must do now as she did then: dry the tears, and hustle!” 3 likes