Start by marking “Love Charms and Other Catastrophes (Grimbaud, #2)” as Want to Read:
Love Charms and Other Catastrophes (Grimbaud, #2)

Love Charms and Other Catastrophes

(Grimbaud #2)

Sometimes love comes gift-wrapped…literally.

Aspiring love-charm maker Hijiri Kitamura was excited to come back to Grimbaud for her sophomore year—until she learned about the upcoming charm-making competition. She, along with her friends and fellow rebels, had worked too hard to free the town from Zita’s tyrannical love fortunes to allow some other charm maker to move in
Published May 17th 2016 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Love Charms and Other Catastrophes, please sign up.
Sara Not really, but it does help you understand what's going on with the secondary characters and their life situations.…moreNot really, but it does help you understand what's going on with the secondary characters and their life situations. (less)

Start your review of Love Charms and Other Catastrophes (Grimbaud, #2)
Ashley Daviau
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think it was possible but this book was even cuter than the first in the series and I adored every minute of it! I was quite pleased to see the same cast of characters returning and facing new challenges. I particularly enjoyed seeing Hijiri evolve and grow into the amazing charm maker she was clearly meant to be. And I just adored the twist that Love threw in and seeing how that played out! I really loved everything about this book, the concept is just the cutest and the magic and ...more
Mel
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want more than this. I love this world so much.

Long story short this book follows where book 1 left off. Now the town needs an official charm maker so they hold a competition.

This duology just feels like a hallmark movie. So cheesy, the writing isn't amazing, but it's adorable. I love it and think they're so cute and fun. I definitely wish there was another book but there's nothing left to write in the world and overall I just adored this. Possibly more than the first one honestly.

I
rachel ☾
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok

Love Charms and Other Catastrophes was… unexpected in many ways. I enjoyed the first book in this series to a certain extent but companion sequels can be either a hit or a miss. In this case, I think keeping Karalius’ debut as a standalone would not have been such a bad idea! I just did not connect to the characters as much as I would have liked and I really, really struggled to get on-board with the romance.

I think my entire problem with this story stems from my problems with the
Karole Cozzo
Karalius triumphs in her follow-up to Love Fortunes and Other Disasters!

Here's what I loved about this one:

1) Karalius' personification of the human heart. I've decided this is my favorite aspect of this work, probably because Karalius does it so magnificently. And I mean, she's right. In so many ways, our hearts ARE individual beings, with desires and intentions completely separate and apart from our own. She illustrates this so beautifully and creatively!!!

2) The romantic relationship in this
Danika Stone
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I went into Love Charms and Other Catastrophes already knowing I'd enjoy it, since I LOVED Love Fortunes and Other Disasters. I was NOT prepared for the sheer FORCE of my love / panic for sweet, adorable Ken, and his *otherworldly* appearance in Hijiri's life. Can a PERFECT boy actually be the right one? (insert meta post on all too-good-to-be-true YA protagonists here) It appears that K. Karalius has proven that YES. THEY. CAN.
A delightful, magical romp into the world of Grimbaud. I loved it!
Fatima
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

This book was so magical and beautiful and I loved it more than I loved the first book, and I didn't even think that was possible. I loved reading about Hijri. I found her to be so interesting in the first book and was so excited to see that this book would be more about her and her charms and her story. She's so easy to relate to and she's such an all-around interesting character, despite the lack of personality that she seems to have in the first book. I think that's what drew me to
Aila
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the Grimbaud world!

Hijiri was such a tough and reticent character who slowly came out of her shell in this book. Omg Ken is the best - love him and his devotion to Hijiri so much. And the competition was so fun!! Alright review to come.
Catherine Tinker
HIJIRI MY BB
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the Grimbaud books. Charming magical realism, with realistic and diverse characters. Highly recommended for YA readers.
Mehsi
I received this book from the publisher/author/book tour host in exchange of an honest review.

We all know how the previous book ended, Zita (the great big evil) was defeated, and now there is this big gap in Grimbaud. No spoiler, the blurb also clearly tells that Zita's tyranny is over. :D Zita had control over the whole Grimbaud, who dated who, who did what. And the town is recovering from that. From that tyranny.
This book continues about that, about what happens next, BUT, yes BIG BUT, we also
Sara
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book even more than the first one! While I enjoyed seeing Grimbaud from Fallon's POV in the first book, I really loved Hijiri's POV because we got to see how love charms are actually made, which I found fascinating. Every love charm-maker creates them in a different way, so I like that Hijiri used symbolism for hers. And we get to see all of the old, adorable characters, but now they have a new mission: helping Hijiri win the love charm competition.

Ken is just too cute for words
Kalindee
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
description

Ohhhh this book was just lovely! I absolutely loved returning to Grimbaud and it's adventures! While the love stories and the supporting characters weren't as strong as they were in Love Fortunes and Other Disasters, I was still completely swept away by the charm of the story and the town. Even though the ending was sort of predictable, it still left me smiling and feeling all gooey inside! :') Mmm I just love stories like these.

description
Grace Harding-Smith
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was adorable, I absolutely loved the characters! Overall a really good book.
Jenny Huang
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
83% — 4.15 stars
Sharon
Love Charms and Other Catastrophes was a good sequel that simply left me feeling light-hearted and satisfied. While it was a cute story filled with wacky (and unrealistic) situations and lovable, quirky characters, it still managed to dig a bit deeper with the idea of the complexity of the human heart (literally and unliterally). (If you have not read Love Fortunes and Other Disasters, beware of spoilers about the 1st book!)

Plot
I am not going to lie. It took me a while to get into the story. It
Maritza
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this sequel...but I think I may even like it even more than I liked the first one! I loved Hijiri and Kentaro's story and the connection between them. I genuinely thought Kentaro was a fake boy! And so I was pleasantly surprised when the truth was revealed at the end!
Michelle
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**Love Charms and Other Catastrophes is the second book in the magical young adult series, Grimbaud by Kimberly Karalius. The first book, Love Fortunes and Other Disasters was one of my favorite books of 2015. It is the kind of book that puts a perma smile on your face, and Love Charms and Other Catastrophes is no different. You do need to read these books in order, so if you have not checked out the first book yet, you ...more
Leah
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love, Charms & Other Catastrophes is Kimberly Karalius's third Grimbaud-set novel following Love, Fortunes & Other Disasters and First Kisses & Other Misfortunes although the latter is a novella. It features the same cast of characters as the first two books, but this time the focus is on the absolutely love Hijiri, and her charm-boy, gifted to her from Love, Ken. I'm also 100000000% sure that Ken is called Ken because he came out of a box, like Barbie's boyfriend. And I will eat my ...more
Pragati Chaudhari
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For full review - https://inkdin.wordpress.com/2016/05/...

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review*

I absolutely loved this book! It is so adorable. And it's filled with the cutesy, adorable, smitten feeling all through the story. It starts with Hijiri, the heroine, finding a huge gift box on her doorstep. And, her gift is a boy. A live, breathing boy. Tailor made for her by Love himself. One who loves Hijiri so much already!

Hijiri, like any sane person, is befuddled and shocked at this.
Wendy
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not often I come across such an adorable read like Love Charms and Other Catastrophes! Having never heard about the series before the Raincoast Books preview event last year, I set it upon myself to dive into the first installment in Kimberly Karalius' Grimbaud series, Love Fortunes and Other Disasters, and it's accompanying novella, First Kisses and Other Misfortunes. What I discovered was a imaginative little world that was in-love with love and a cast of adorable and relatable ...more
Zoie
Aug 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
*does a happy dance and begins clapping enthusiastically*
Thank goodness there will be a sequel, or rather, a companion to Kimberly Karalius's debut, Love Fortunes and Other Disasters. I absolutely loved that book, and although I felt that it was tied up to my satisfactory, I'm excited to see what beautiful writing Kim will come up with this time!!! I'm so happy that it's release date is fairly soon- next May I believe. Hijiri Katamura also was a character that spoke to me in the book, and
Megan Coppadge
I received this book via a Goodreads giveaway courtesy of Fierce Read.

The first book was good but this one was great! I loved that this was Hijiri's POV. She was such an interesting character and I'm glad we got to see her story. I loved Ken! Oh my gosh I was really cheering him on he's such a good guy! (I'm still waiting on Love to drop a really cute and great guy off in a ribbon wrapped box on my doorstep!!)

This book had so much packed into it but it was really easy to keep up with. Learning
Viktoria Van der bilt
WOW. JUST...WOW.

I never expected this book to do this to me. I felt silly because of all the magic, the third person narration and my heartbreakingly-erratic reading time, but damn if I didn't end every reading session loving Hijiri and squealing over Ken.

This was very much enjoyable and up until the Tunnel of Love thing, I didn't even expect I'd feel thrill. Like suspense kind of thrill, y'know? This has everything. And tears! Of course when I finally knew the truth about Ken, damn ninjas be
Karmen (readingoncloud9)
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
First of all, thank you to the lovely people over at Swoon Reads for sending me an arc to review!

Maybe I should've reread Love, Fortunes, and Other Disasters before I started this. Haha, it's all good though. I missed the Grimbaud world! This was such a great sequel to LFAOD. I absolutely loved Ken. He's sucha cutie and is super sweet. I sort of missed the story being told in Fallon's POV, but reading in Hijiri's POV was great. I thought Hijiri's problems dragged on for a bit too long and got a
Sally the Salamander
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Kimberly's writing style and the town of Grimbaud so it was great to return and see what the town and characters from the previous book are up to. Although Hijiri's love story wasn't as compelling to me (her stubbornness when it comes to Love's gift for her is a bit frustrating), I still devoured this book and would gladly pick up any future adventures in Grimbaud. If you liked the previous book then I highly suggest the sequel.
Mabel
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Hijiri is wonderfully cute and I love the return of these characters but Fallon is definitely still the main even in this book.

Hijiri just seems so stuck and her development is gradual but it seems so restrained with her actual character of someone who knows all these things about people--which on the one hand makes it very real and relatable but on the other, doesn't vibe well with supporting her as a main character. I feel like I already "saw" what would happen rather than being roped in.
Jill
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first started this sequel I had no idea I’d be giving it four stars, yet here I am. Def liked this better than the first! It was such a fun, quirky read with off-kilter characters I learned to embrace. My tiny heart feels like it can take a whole lot on.
sams
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
i finished this months ago and i forgot lmao
Lee-Anne
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved everything about this book they way kens story enveloped it was so heartwarming.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Do Less: The Unexpected Strategy for Women to Get More of What They Want in Work and Life
  • Aphantasia: Experiences, Perceptions, and Insights
  • Girl of Glass (Girl of Glass, #1)
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Down with the Shine
  • The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)
  • Supper Club
  • Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Every Soul a Star
  • Much Ado About Nothing (No Fear Shakespeare)
  • Criss Cross
  • A Tale of Highly Unusual Magic
  • The Cupid Chronicles (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #2)
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
  • All the Feels
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
Kimberly Karalius is the author of LOVE FORTUNES AND OTHER DISASTERS and its sequel LOVE CHARMS AND OTHER CATASTROPHES. If you gave her a wish bone, she would wish fervently for snow in Florida. Living in Florida certainly has one big perk: going to Disney World. Which she does. Frequently.

Kimberly holds an MFA in fiction from the University of South Florida. Her fiction has appeared in literary

Grimbaud (2 books)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters (Grimbaud, #1)
“Niceness is magic, but no one thinks of it that way since it's quiet and constant.” 0 likes