Start by marking “Change Up: How to Make the Great Game of Baseball Even Better” as Want to Read:
Change Up: How to Make the Great Game of Baseball Even Better

Change Up: How to Make the Great Game of Baseball Even Better

In the spirit of Moneyball, the voice of the Toronto Blue Jays offers cutting insights on baseball

Buck Martinez has been in and around professional baseball for nearly fifty years as a player, manager and broadcaster. Currently the play-by-play announcer for the Toronto Blue Jays, Martinez has witnessed enormous change in the game he loves, as it has morphed from a grassroots pasti
Published March 15th 2016 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Change Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Up

Start your review of Change Up: How to Make the Great Game of Baseball Even Better
Brandon Forsyth
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book did get me excited about the start of the baseball season, but it's a weird amalgam of memoir and long-winded complaint. The best stuff is about Buck's life in professional baseball, but it's pretty surface stuff. You never get a real feel for the man, even when he's talking about getting fired as manager or his last time on the field. Coupled with the rambling anecdotes about how things were better when players were abused and taken advantage of, it's a mixed message. Buck has fond me ...more
Lifespicer Tapps
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book! A lot of powerful and convincing insight! Unfortunately, there were a few errors in spelling and grammar, so it was not edited very well.
Ron
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada-sports, sports
This could have been a good book, because Buck has lots to say about baseball player development and the state of the game today. It's stuff I agree with; the swing and a miss and radar gun/pitch count mentality is at the heart of many of baseball's problems today. An MVP striking out 184 times a year is ridiculous. Buck reminds readers that the current wave of new age statheads don't have all the answers, in fact Casey Stengel and his ilk knew more about the game than all those people combined. ...more
Matt Simpson
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
"Old man yells at cloud"
Bobbi
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is the baseball version of "when I was your age, we walked to school uphill- both ways!" I know there are a lot of Buck detractors, but I've always enjoyed his broadcasts because of his obvious reverence for the game. This book, unfortunately, does him no favours. The editing is non-existent and desperately needed, as Martinez is not a natural wordsmith.

His actual thesis for the "change" that today's Major League Baseball needs, is to go back to the way that they did it in his day. Th
Scott Vout
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2018, sports
i have always enjoyed Buck Martinez as a broadcaster. he is very knowledgeable about the game of baseball.

I also had the pleasure of watching him play in toronto and even got to meet him once at a game when he was managing the team. He autographed a ball for my kids.

he has some interesting theories about team building and winning baseball.

this book is also a snapshot of his playing career.

very enjoyable if you are a fan of the game.
Hon. Peter J. Murphy
A Mediocre Baseball Book

Buck Martinez conveys his love of the game of baseball from his childhood days in California through his years in professional baseball. His description of his very early years was endearing - then he went on to the organization of pro ball which was too long and too boring. Big League Baseball is no longer the national pastime - Football is. However baseball's steep decline was not addressed by the author despite the title of the book.
Alex
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Buck as a broadcaster, but this book comes off as bitter and a bit arrogant. There are some interesting stories and insights, but most of it is washed over with a constant pining for days gone by. This book is basically the anti-Moneyball but also tries to be a memoir, so the book comes off as a bit meandering.
Neil Gaudet
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of Buck's, enjoy his broadcasts, liked him as a manager. But this book was sort of a nostalgic Ball Four without the convincing impact. I appreciated it in moments but was hoping for more Blue Jays content and maybe a different and current look at the game. It wasn't horrible, but since it took me 9 months to plod through I wouldn't call it a page turner.
John Weiler
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun read ... for me.

Buck, the author, pulled a little "bait and switch." (I guess all ball players are big on misdirection!). He sold me on the book being his ideas on "How to Make the Great Game of Baseball Even Better." What I got inside the cover was first him scratching the surface of that topic. Then he touched on:
1. Branch Rickey;
2. A few baseball dynasties;
3. His own autobiography;
4. Formation of the Toronto Blue Jays;
5. A manual on how to start a franchise;
6. Any
Gord Jones
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
When it comes to sports books, I enjoy reading ones about baseball. The true stories about individuals in the game and the game itself.

I think Buck Martinez is one of the best announcers in the game today. He is very insightful and knowledgeable about the game of baseball that when I saw he had written a book about it, Change Up, I had to give it a read.

In this book, Martinez is very honest about his own skills and abilities, admitting to mistakes he has made in the past.
John Weatherbie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
What a letdown! As a huge Jays fan, I really enjoy Bucks broadcasting, and thought I'd enjoy his book... I was very wrong. About 60 pages in I had to stop. It's basically Buck complaining that high salaries are ruining baseball (while saying that the players deserve them), that players aren't taught old school baseball, and that advanced stats are ruining everything...... While using stories about old time players noticing trends like a certain pitcher always using a Slider when 3-2. Advanced st ...more
Robert Grant
I enjoyed most if this book. I share the same thoughts as Buck does but-they will never go back to the old ways. The professional athletes of today would never tolerate the discipline that athletes of yesteryear had. They don't have to. They make more in half a season than most players of old made in their careers so to suggest that they need to go back to the old ways just won't fly today. I miss the old days too but, yesterdays gone and we can't get them back. Players control the sport these d ...more
Julie
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies
I love books. I love baseball. I love Buck Martinez. I guess I don't love when you put them all together...a bit of a difficult book to read...a lot of "things ain't what they used to be" with little inspiration for the game. Sorry Buck, I'll have to stick to listening to you calling the games every night.
Aaron Badgley
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another book from The voice of The Toronto Blue Jays. Buck knows baseball, and he writes well. This is a brilliant book, where he pulls no punches. Baseball fans will enjoy this book, some may disagree with his assessments, but he backs everything up. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Matthew RC
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
A trip down memory lane with Buck. Anyone into the 70's and 80's MLB will enjoy his anecdotes.
Gerard
Mar 15, 2016
TheTownWasPaper
rated it did not like it
Nov 08, 2016

• Cujo: The Untold Story of My Life On and Off the Ice
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Great Expectations: The Lost Toronto Blue Jays Season
  • Rising Above: Inspiring Women in Sports
  • The Children of Willesden Lane. Beyond the Kindertransport: A Memoir of Music, Love, and Survival
  • Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life
  • Chase Your Shadow: The Trials of Oscar Pistorius
  • Victoria and Abdul: The True Story of the Queen's Closest Confidant
  • Dreaming Sally: A True Story of First Love, Sudden Death and Long Shadows
  • Belichick: The Making of the Greatest Football Coach of All Time
  • Å gå. Ett skritt av gangen
  • Rising Above a Toxic Workplace: Taking Care of Yourself in an Unhealthy Environment
  • Calvin
  • Chicken Soup for the Sports Fan's Soul: Stories of Insight, Inspiration and Laughter in the World of Sport
  • The Grind: Inside Baseball's Endless Season