Start by marking “How to Win Games and Beat People: Demolish Your Family and Friends at over 30 Classic Games with Advice from an International Array of Experts” as Want to Read:

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Games are supposed to be fun-but everyone knows that it’s more fun when you win, especially when you crush your friends and family.

In HOW TO WIN GAMES AND BEAT PEOPLE, science editor for The Times Tom Whipple gathers inside tips, strategy, and advice from a ridiculously overqualified array of experts on how to come out victorious in a wide range of common family games, bo
Published December 1st 2015 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Win Games and Beat People, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Travis Bow
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Three reasons why this is the perfect bathroom reading material:
1) It will make you laugh out loud, sometimes maniacally (a sound which is generally enhanced by the acoustics of tile and glass)
2) Every chapter takes somewhere between three and seven minutes to read (as do certain other bathroom activities not incompatible with reading / laughing)
3) Prominent placement in the bathroom will ensure that your game-night guests know you mean business (never underestimate the power of intimidation)

Wit
Robert
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: x2016-17-season
Light toilet reading. 2-3 pages chapters of advice on about 50 common games.
Melinda Brasher
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really interesting, with information about and quotes from the experts in each discipline, some of which is rather tongue-in-cheek, especially about things like apple bobbing and stone skipping. I love the "how it ends" section for each game—most quite funny. Good humor, but also physics, math, strategy, logic, and lots on interesting tidbits. Great book.

Oh, and thanks to this, I spent entirely too much time alternately laughing at and being amazed by 20Q.net, the AI internet program that can p
Glen
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

This is an informative, entertaining book about how to win various games, complete with some useful tables for Scrabble. Some of the sections are more useful than others, and some games were left out that I'd thought would be there, like Mousetrap.

I'm not sure if it's as useful as I'd hoped, but still a lot of fun.
Wendi
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My competitive, eleven-year old loved it. She actually practices Monopoly so she can smash her friends and enemies. This book was right up her alley.
Johan Dahlbäck
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick and fun read. A lot of humour and some science. I had expected some more depth and more examples in the strategies, and more board games than games like "pooh sticks", "drinking games" and "sand castles". I don't think the knowledge from this book will help me in any games I do play.
Josiphine/Tessa
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was both funny and well-written. The strategies were not that ground-breaking (everybody knows to go for the middle spot in tic-tac-toe) but I still found this very enjoyable to read.
Robin Ver
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some sections are interresting, like the ones on risk, rock paper scissors and monopoly, but others provide no advice on the game they describe.
Mo
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed podcast interview too
Matt Suder
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
Idea better than the execution. Good insight into origins of the games discussed.
David
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: don-t-own
Fun little book to read in spare moments. Thirty-odd games are covered here, from classics like Scrabble and Monopoly to advanced stuff like Risk and Diplomacy, and even a couple non-games like Pooh sticks (a game popularized by A. A. Milne, I guess, wherein you drop a stick in a river and watch it go).

Each game is given two or three pages, with a short intro followed by some strategy or, in a few cases, just an interesting story or two. Chess, for example: This book isn't going to give you real
Augusta
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a selection of very short chapters analysing techniques of games. It was interesting to read about how to approach games in ways that you wouldn't normally think to, e.g. a computer scientist's approach to Battleship. There were parts that were quite funny and it had some interesting facts about the creation of some of the games.

I enjoyed reading about the technique to approach games likes Monoply, Connect 4, and Scrabble. Less interested in the strategy of stick races and slot car
Quinn
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. I love Whipple's approach to gathering super geeky info on stuff that doesn't really matter much (i.e. Monopoly). Using it all to my advantage will be the real trick with this one. The kids and I were already playing with the world record holding paper airplane (distance) design but I can't seem to get the same effect with my rock skipping.
Adam
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Brenda: I am ready for the Hangman rematch.
Katlyn Calia
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick, fun read
Al Menaster
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Had some interesting ideas for winning a variety of games.
Anthony Faber
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Strategy for various games. Sort of amusing.
Don Packett
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
A light and entertaining read for sure. You're not going to walk away from all games being the true hero and demolisher, but you'll definitely walk into them knowing a few tips and tricks.
Ruth
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Would you like to play a game?
Hercho
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun, quick read with good humor throughout.
Andre
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good:
* Funny and quite useful.

Bad:
* Some of the games are silly.
* Chess is not covered.
George Woodbury
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, light read. The author has a great sense of humor, and portrays the opinions of the experts well.
Isabella
Aug 02, 2017
Mary
Apr 11, 2016
Bambaya
rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2017
Benjamin Toonen
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • This Side of Wild: Mutts, Mares, and Laughing Dinosaurs
  • The Game Inventor's Guidebook: How to Invent and Sell Board Games, Card Games, Role-Playing Games, & Everything in Between!
  • Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise
  • Glued to Games: How Video Games Draw Us in and Hold Us Spellbound
  • Run Gently Out There: Trials, Trails, and Tribulations of Running Ultramarathons
  • Beatrix Potter and the Unfortunate Tale of a Borrowed Guinea Pig
  • Family Secrets: The Dionne Quintuplets' Autobiography
  • Tessa and Scott: Our Journey from Childhood Dream to Gold
  • You Only Faster
  • "We Were Five:" the Dionne Quintuplets' Story From Birth Through Girlhood to Womanhood
  • Twenty Ads That Shook the World: The Century's Most Groundbreaking Advertising and How It Changed Us All
  • The Art Of Computer Game Design
  • Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do
  • Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical Controversy
  • Snake
  • Scroogenomics: Why You Shouldn't Buy Presents for the Holidays
  • The Ambiguity of Play
  • Building Web Reputation Systems
“As everyone knows, it’s not the winning that counts: it’s the taking part. Nonsense! That is the battle cry of the loser. This” 0 likes