Start by marking “Live Happy: Ten Practices for Choosing Joy” as Want to Read:
Live Happy: Ten Practices for Choosing Joy

Live Happy: Ten Practices for Choosing Joy

An eye-opening shift of perspective on the secret of authentic happiness: how surprisingly simple, everyday acts lead to lifelong joy and fulfillment, from the experts at Live Happy magazine.

We are all increasingly hungry for soul-deep happiness. All over the globe, from the hallways of Harvard, where the university’s most popular course is a class on positive psychology,
Published March 15th 2016 by HarperOne (first published March 8th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Live Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live Happy

Karlie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are some good suggestions in this book and I found myself underlining a lot of passages. However, many of the examples of people turning their lives around and finding joy were people who are very fortunate financially to begin with, which I did not find inspirational from the point of view as an average person.
Christopher Lawson
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LIVE HAPPY, TEN PRACTICES TO CHOOSING JOY has two different themes: First, the author presents a lot of scientific research showing the basis for happiness. Secondly, she presents lots of inspiring stories to illustrate the points she's making.

For purposes of this book the author defines happiness to be “The human ability to thrive - to use one skills, traits, and talents in a way that creates lasting meaning and fulfillment.”

Right from the start, the author asks a very probing question—“So how
Debrah
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Listened to this on hoopla. The tone and voice of the person reading grated on my nerves...it was not an enjoyable experience.
Patty
I will add a quote when the book is published.

I don’t really understand why it took me so long to read this book. I have been reading it for several months. I believe it is designed to be read in small doses, but even knowing that it felt like it took me a long time. Part of the reason may have been that for me, a fan of positive psychology books, there wasn’t much new in this book.

I figure this was written for at least two reasons. The first is that the people at Live Happy sincerely want to sh
Kay Oliver
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantastic list and reminder of what happiness means both individually and collectively. Not only how to obtain it, but also to keep it. I think the most important lesson in this book is that happiness is not a new car, a better job, dropping a few pounds or even finding your dream partner. Happiness starts with you. Happiness and positivity attract new cars, better jobs, healthy lifestyles and good marriages. They do not supply the happiness, they grow from it. This is an excellent read everyo ...more
Michael MacDonald
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of important principles

Definitely worth the read even if you’re well versed on the core tenets of positive psychology. It’s a great refresher for seasoned readers while serving as a solid primer for newbies.

It’s written with three simple structures:

1 - stories offering good intro case studies highlighting the idea being discussed
2 - the science behind the idea being explored
3 - tweetable insights and calls to action

Very readable and easily recommended.
Karen
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really nothing new here that I haven't read before. I do like the tips at the end of each practice for putting it into practice. Plus, reading these kinds of books (on happiness) from time-to-time help in clearing my brain from all the negative stuff in the news these days.

Recommended.
Latasha
One of the better "Happiness" books I've read recently. I enjoyed the different stories. Could be the narrator on audio, but it was more relatable and informational than other books I've read/listened to.
Alexandra
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
lots of feel good inspiration. not bad.
Ashley Lillie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick, wonderful read that gave me actionable items and great resources to further my understanding.
Ryan
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I'm rounding up to three as I didn't really enjoy the book. It had some good tips with several feel good stories but a whole lot more.
Ann Mulholland
I'll be honest and say that I was not able to completely absorb this book as I listened to it while doing other things.
The things that I heard were helpful advice on finding happiness.
Hilary
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
An uplifting compilation of stories of how people found happiness. Mindfulness and giving back stood out to me.
Annemargaret Olsson
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great little book. I was walking through the library and saw this book sitting on display, I just had to read it. I am a big fan of positive psychology and an entire study of happiness itself just intrigued me. The book does a great job of sharing some of the research behind the study of happiness and then sharing snippets of people using the practice in their life and how it influenced them. Each chapter ends with a suggestion of what you can do to practice the happiness act in your life. I thi ...more
Jen Bullard
Feb 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh. So boring I couldn't finish it. I stuck with it thinking it might get better, but after three-quarters of the way through, I finally returned it to the library. I consider myself a happy person anyway, but just thought it looked interesting. It's not.
Trixy Lemell
Oct 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I should have finished this book within a few hours. Instead, I spent about 7 days on it. I hated almost every section. It is supposed to be average day people doing things that made them happy. What I got instead was a bunch of rich people doing things that made them happy. When the first average person came about there was constant talk about how attractive they were. Then, of course, there were the kids doing things. Towards the end we did drop away from some of the rich people doing things b ...more
Christina Lohbeck
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a breezy read, but uses the science of happiness along with people's personal stories that made me understand that one person's choices can have an immense effect on their own and others' happiness. I saw the author speak. She is involved in the leadership of Nerium International, my part time job.
Bonnie
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Simple easy things can add such happiness...like calling an old friend, giving someone an unexpected compliment, and reaching out of your comfort zone. A quick read that I'll keep on my nightstand for reference and daily positivity!
Anne
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the concept, the content, and the delivery. Quick easy stories with practical tips along the way, and no re-hashing like so many 'self help' books do. I definitely recommend this book!
Donna Blalock
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.
Geneva Yoder
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to own this book!!!! It's amazing. If everyone read this and only did one of the suggestions everyday we'd have such a better world.
Gail Sharon Scearbo
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Blah blah blah; uninspiring stories and lots of very pedantic superficial advice about how to be happy. Not a fan
Mary Kenyon
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I want to check out the magazine. Great ideas and inspiration.
Jessica Cox
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to remember these things. Life is short. Be happy.

Read to remind yourself to be happy and find joy in each day. Easy steps to change the ways you look at some things.
Christina Karvounis
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Had high hopes for this. A CHICKEN SOUP for the sheltered soul. Not much new here, readers.
Gina
rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program
  • The Future of Happiness: 5 Modern Strategies for Balancing Productivity and Well-Being in the Digital Era
  • The One Year Daily Insights With Zig Ziglar (One Year Signature Line)
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • Life Lessons for Mastering the Law of Attraction: 7 Essential Ingredients for Living a Prosperous Life
  • The Spark and the Grind: Ignite the Power of Disciplined Creativity
  • Make Your Brain Smarter, Longer: Taking Control of Your Brain to Improve Your Creativity, Focus, Productivity, Reasoning, and Thinking Power
  • Living a Charmed Life: Your Guide to Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
  • The Potato Hack: Weight Loss Simplified
  • The Happiness Track: How to Apply the Science of Happiness to Accelerate Your Success
  • Mastering the Art of Quitting: Why It Matters in Life, Love, and Work
  • Mind Whispering: A New Map to Freedom from Self-Defeating Emotional Habits
  • Skinny Habits: The Six Secrets of Thin People
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-By-Step Guide
  • SoulSpace: Creating a Home That Is Free of Clutter, Full of Beauty, and Inspired by You
  • 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget
  • Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
Deborah K. Heisz is the Co-Founder, COO and Editorial Director of Live Happy LLC. She, along with Founder Jeff Olson, leads the company that produces Live Happy, an award-winning bi-monthly print and digital magazine, Livehappy.com, and Live Happy products and apparel. By combining the science of positive psychology with practical advice from happiness experts to help people lead joyous and produc ...more