Start by marking “A Darkness at Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Darkness at Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)

A Darkness at Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  48,842 Ratings  ·  526 Reviews
Alternate cover edition can be found here

An evil wind blows through Midkemia. Dark legions have risen up to crush the Kingdom of the Isles and enslave it to dire magics. The final battle between Order and Chaos is about to begin in the ruins of the city called Sethanon.

Now Pug, the master magician sometimes known as Milamber, must undertake an awesome and perilous quest
Mass Market Paperback, 430 pages
Published February 1987 by Bantam (first published February 7th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Darkness at Sethanon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darkness at Sethanon

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy-all
Lord have mercy, at one point I thought one of my characters was dead and I thought, don't be doing this to me today. Don't make me get all cray up in here! But, it's all good =)

This book and the one before it were my favorites. The whole series is sooooooo good though.

Everyone is back in this book even if it's just a little part here and there.

There some evilness out to kill Arutha again. I mean leave him the hell alone! So we are off to see the wizard again. <-- Heh, I didn't even realiz
Matthew
I gave this a star rating back before I was adding reviews to every book - I am sad about that because this book is a great ending to a great saga and I hope that a verbal review will draw more readers to the flame of Feist's fantasy world! Even though this ends the Riftwar Saga, there are many more books in the series overall to keep this story going!

Thanks to Melissa for reminding me to come back and recommend this series on others! If you are a fantasy fan, you owe it to yourself to read this
Choko
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with some friends @ BBB

"...“power is limited to the strength of will within the man who holds it. Falter in your resolve and you will fall. Remain steadfast and you shall prevail. Always remember that. "..."

This was a nice way to wrap things up for this first arc of 4 books in the Riftwar Saga. It started a bit shaky, there were some meandering passages, but overall, it was a classic Fantasy which hit a lot of favorite notes for the fans of the genre.

Loved Jimmy and Loky
Hasham Rasool
I am satisfied with the conclusion of the 'Riftwar Saga' Alhamdulillah!

'Magician' is the best book in the series.
Wanda
A satisfying end to an acceptable fantasy series. The Riftwar books suffer by comparison to modern high fantasy series, but in their day, they were the next step for those looking for a LOTR substitute. At least Feist came up with his own version of The Enemy to deal with, instead of just dusting off Tolkien’s idea, changing a few names and calling it good.

Yes, there are elves, goblins, trolls, and such—and although they share some characteristics with their counterparts in other fantasy litera
Brenton
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but when I read Magician I thought Feist's writing was pretty decent, if heavy on fantasy tropes (some of which I'm sure he helped create). So I don't know if his writing got worse or my tolerance of it went down since then, but I just found this book a trifle tedious. The dialogue is trite, there's far too much overblown exposition, everything "seems" to do something or does something "as though" doing something else, and by god could you not change POV without war
Mary King
Not one strong female in the entire series. After reading the entire Wheel of Time series (where strong females grace every storyline) last year I wandered off to see more of the fantasy genre. Sadly I will not be reading anymore Feist. I loved the fast pace but hated the sexism. The main women in the storyline are always beautiful and never have anything helpful to say. They are always badgering the male characters.

Like another reviewer I don't believe it was done maliciously, it just seemed to
Penny
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this is very satisfying last book in a series (within a series). The Riftwar Saga is home to some of my all time favourite characters and even the ones I just kinda liked rather than adored all had their place and contributed to my enjoyment of this book.

I'm so happy not to be experiencing the series hangover I often get at the end of a great trilogy since there are still many series within a series waiting to be read :) I've heard nothing but good things about The Empire Trilogy so I'm
Kaitlin
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mixed one for me because some of it I really enjoyed whilst other parts were very slow and dragged on so much I couldn't be bothered with it. For the third book in the trilogy and the final part of this storyline I was expecting something rather epic, and although this storyline does have some wonderful aspects and some chilling and crazy scenes, a large majority of the story seems a bit redundant and dull.

This is the continuation of book 2 and is much more in line with the story
Heather
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: series fantasy addicts
Recommended to Heather by: Chip
KostasAt
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
9/10

From the beginning till the end of the Riftwar Saga Feist managed to create a lot of expectations for the world of Midkemia and, indeed, in A Darkness at Sethanon, the fourth and final part, he comes and fulfils them in the best way bringing a strong, complex and rich story, as he gives more depth both to the characters and also to the world-building itself, and takes us to an incredible adventure of fantasy through space and time.

A year has passed since the events of the mysterious Silverth
Jon
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS Riftwar Saga May 2011 Selection
The final installment to the Riftwar Saga series contained page-turning action and most of the answers to mysteries and questions posed from earlier in the series, including a surprise twist that posed ... more questions. While I enjoyed reading A Darkness at Sethanon, I felt the characters gained less growth this time around, being more reactive to the harsh circumstances thrown at them on their quest to stop Murandamus. The Pug, Tomas and Macros cameo chapters intrigued me the most, providing ...more
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt more like the second part of Silverthorn than an entirely separate book, but was very good. It wraps up the Rift War pretty well. The characters can still go on, as people do, but so many loose ends were tied up for me that I really appreciated it.
Jeremy Brown
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mycollection
I personally felt that A Darkness at Sethanon is a very good book and a fitting end to a very good fantasy series. The author stepped up the action quite a bit and the battle of Armengar is just amazing. If there is one thing about The Riftwar Saga that I will always remember, it is the battle of Armengar. The rest of the action is very well written and the author's use of the character Guy was superbly done. While I really enjoyed the battle scenes in the novel, I was really confused by some of ...more
fiacha
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bem terminei a leitura desta saga e só posso estar satisfeito com o que li. Não é George Martin ou Robert Jordan, não é uma saga que traga algo de novo, no fundo tudo se trata da luta entre o bem e o mal e quando isso acontece com maior ou menor dificuldade sabe-se para que lado a balança se inclina, o que tornou o final algo previsível, mas isso não impede de poder dizer que estamos perante uma saga muito boa, com surpresas atrâs de surpresas, personagens muito interessantes e um enredo muito c ...more
Michael T Bradley
This is a difficult book to codify. I like a lot of things that occur in this book (Locklear's sudden jumps of character being at the top; he was my favorite character from the start, and where his arc goes in unexpected & interesting). And the first 2/3 of the book are not dull. And I liked that the reveal of the "Enemy," while a little less than mind-blowing, did make a lot of sense, and followed from the things the book had been focusing on, and was not just some sort of 'big threat from ...more
Noel
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed in this series. I loved Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master, but after that, the series took a turn. Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon have a completely different feel than the Magician books. The magic practically disappears, and the majority of both books are composed of battle after battle after battle. It's incredibly tedious. The series should have stopped after Magician: Master.

If you're interested in reading this series, my recommendation is to definitely r
Christopher
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Pearson
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Really struggled over what to rate this, and think over time it may drop to a 3/5. The characters are great, and the story interesting, but the lack of rules to the magic system made things somewhat easy in some situations. Tomas & Pugs quest got a bit weird and I felt it quite out of place with the rest of the book, Mario kart rainbow road the worst of it.
Ana
Foi com muito entusiasmo que comecei este livro, o quarto e último da saga do Mago.
A história continua com a luta de Arutha contra Murmundamos, que no livro anterior tinha ficado em aberto. Todo o enredo desta batalha é surpreendente, detalhado e com muitas surpresas à mistura. Arutha continua com um papel importantíssimo e destacado ao longo do livro, o que faz com que seja impossível não gostar dele.
Mas para mim, o grande destaque neste livro são três personagens extraordinárias, Pug, Tomas
Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
I'm slightly conflicted about the rating I've given this book. The problem is: any review of this book will inevitably be a review of the entire Riftwar Saga. Perhaps this novel is a better spiritual successor to Magician than Silverthorn was, since it elaborates more closely on the events of the aforementioned. On the other hand, Silverthorn introduced some pivotal characters and bridged the gap between Magician and A Darkness At Sethanon nicely. On its own, A Darkness At Sethanon probably garn ...more
Stefano G.
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, satisfying ending, really worth reading if you want to finish the series!

Feist's writing really improves as the series progresses, and in many aspects A Darkness at Sethanon feels like the best book in the series. The plot itself is rather predictable, but the world-building really comes along, especially in Pug's and Tomas's odyssey through the cosmos and space-time, you view crazy places and creatures. Frankly, this was too abstract for me, and somewhat hard to follow but it defin
Katy
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy (not quite the series - he's written a few more set in the same world, but this finishes the stuff that should be read close together). Just one bit I wanted to mention. Just remember that these books are considered a classic in fantasy writing from the mid 80s.

One of the characters is a magician who appears to be exceptionally long lived - he pops up at critical points in the first couple of books, but explains some of his history towards the en
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last in the initial Riftwar Saga (though it still continues today), this one was wonderful again, though at the same time my least favourite. Whilst the first (Magician which in the version I read contains both Master and Apprentice) was very character driven, and the second was a quest novel, and both of them contained plenty of fighting, this one is much more pre-occupied with the techniques, strategy and equipment of war with the truly frightening Murmandamus.
It would be unfair, in my vi
Nuno Mateus (Kratos)
Ao acabar de ler este livro vejo o encerrar desta Saga de "O Mago" neste 4ºlivro com um final de história brilhante e muito bem elaborado sempre cheio de emoção e acção e suspense e revelações até á ultima página!
Neste quarto livro é o encerrar da batalha do Bem contra o Mal no qual o mal é protagonizado pela personagem misteriosa de Murmandamus e no qual irá finalmente se revelar no desenrolar da história, e depois temos o Bem no qual lutará através de duas facções , uma através da luta humana
Victoria
I enjoyed this conclusion quite a bit! All of my favorite characters from the series were present and the plot took one exciting turn after another! Truly wonderful! It was a lot of fun to read, but I must admit that there was a plethora of minor editing errors, typos mainly. I was quite shocked. I know that new editions have been released since this 1994 edition of mine, so I do hope that they were corrected! Other than that, a fun read - I hope these wonderful characters continue to appear in ...more
Alexander Draganov
Possibly the most epic novel ever written, a triumph of the fantasy genre. The magician Pug and the warrior and Dragon Lord Tomas try to save the world against impossible odds as they travel trough time and space in search of the nature of their mysterious and malevolent Enemy. In the same time, the noble Prince Arutha faces a vast armies of unstoppable evil. Non-stop action, tons of magic and mystery and extremely likable characters make this book one of the best fantasy stories ever. Feist is ...more
Hilary
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Feist brings us to new heights, and new lows, in this final Riftwar Saga book. I don't like it as much as the others, partly for my own failing (I usually find it hard to follow either intricate battle scenes - with the exception of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series - or intensely internal magical scenes) but I can't deny the gripping read, nor the way Feist brings it all together.
Carmine
Sulle montagne russe

L'atto conclusivo di Riftwar è divertente e godibile, pur cedendo, qua e là, ad un kitsch che fa da apripista per alcune scelte narrative indiscutibilmente scombicchierate.
L'identità del Nemico e la trappola temporale - questa intuizione meritava un romanzo dalle ambizioni più importanti - sono due grandi pregi che, in ogni caso, non riescono ad allineare questo "Scontro a Sethanon" alla brillantezza dei primi due volumi.
Siriusbcy
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manteve o nível. Acho que essa série é uma série a ser lida antes de partir para as mais "famosas". É uma aventura classica.
Goodreads Librari...: Same ISBN with different edition / page numbers 2 15 Oct 17, 2016 05:22PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 16 Nov 27, 2015 07:37AM
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • L'assassin du roi (L'assassin royal, #2)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
“I know you'll think this odd, but I find it strangely exhilarating not knowing what's coming next.” 21 likes
“Your destiny is now your own to forge as best as you may.” 9 likes