Start by marking “Fall of Poppies: Stories of Love and the Great War” as Want to Read:
Fall of Poppies: Stories of Love and the Great War

Fall of Poppies: Stories of Love and the Great War

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month . . .

November 11, 1918. After four long, dark years of fighting, the Great War ends at last, and the world is forever changed. For soldiers, loved ones, and survivors, the years ahead stretch with new promise, even as their hearts are marked by all those who have been lost.

As families come back together, lovers
Published March 1st 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Fall of Poppies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall of Poppies

Erin
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

World War I anthology featuring some of today's most brilliant historical romance fiction writers with nine original short stories to share. If I had to pick my FAVORITE story, it would most likely be the beautiful and heartwrenching final installment of the collection, "Hush"by Hazel Gaynor.
Erin
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

There are a handful of authors I truly love reading and when I get an email from one asking me to review their work... Well, it's not a question of if I'll review it so much as when I can fit it into my schedule. It doesn't happen often, but this is how I came to possess an ARC edition of Fall of Poppies.

I'd been eyeing the anthology since it was announced and thought it'd make a great companion to Grand Central. It is an e
Jenny Q
4.5 Stars. A young Belgian patriot discovers the German patient she begrudgingly cares for isn't at all what he seems. Wartime lovers reunite decades later to discover they were kept apart by misunderstandings. A young Red Cross volunteer finds first love with a disfigured soldier only to be cruelly separated from him. A dancer struggles to survive and imagine a future in Paris after losing everyone she loved to the war. A timid airman makes a hasty promise to a stranger and finds a new reason t ...more
Pam Jenoff
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of all things World War I and I loved this anthology by some of my favorite writers, all set in the immediate aftermath of the war. This real and heartbreaking kaleidoscope of stories of men and women trying to reconstruct their lives provides an unforgettable picture of an imortant moment in history.
Jessica
I received this book for free through the Reading Room’s giveaways.

Like most short story collections, I liked some stories more than others.

The Daughter of Belgium: I thought this was a solid first story. It wasn’t super romantic but it got me excited for the rest of the book.

The Record Set Right: I liked this story but I was so confused at first. I had a hard time figuring out how everyone was related and what happened in the past. But once I got to the end, I understood it.

All for the Love of
Davida Chazan
In honor of the 100th anniversary of the end of the first World War, I wanted to remind my readers of this book. Nine amazing historical fiction writers contributed to this beautiful collection of short stories about the end of World War I. Find out why I give this book a full five stars in my review here https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2016/08/2...
Stephanie Anze
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
November 11, 1918 marked the end of WWI. Known as Armistice Day, weapons were put down signaling the end of the fighting. In this collection of short stories, nine authors provide their take on love in the midst of war as the fighting ends.

So this was quite a nice collection of short stories. All dealing with love and war, though not all romatic in essence, this book explores the different relationships between people amid war. Dealing with loss, defeat, despair and ultimately hope, these narrat
Anna
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: mymediamall
"Life, and time, marched on as the soldiers marched home that spring. The daffodils danced in the breeze in Annie's garden, and the poppies grew once more in the fields of France."
Hazel Gaynor, Hush

9 authors write 9 poignant short stories relating to World War I.
I have only read Lauren Willig before, but the others were a surprise.
The most complex story was "Hush" by Hazel Gaynor which mostly took place in the space of a few minutes but it captured the charged emotional atmosphere in an Englis
Susan Gorman
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Each of these compelling short stories provided insight into the emotional and physical effects of war. The authors present characters who struggle with their feelings and their actions during a difficult and trying time in history. I enjoyed each story and felt several of them could have been expanded into full length novels.

The Daughter of Belgium—Marci Jefferson
I enjoyed this suspense filled, well-paced short story set in the days leading up to the armistice. Both Amelie and Lars must find co
Alexandra
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't really know how to review or rate a book that is a collection of short stories by different authors. So I rated each story, wrote a few notes about each one, then averaged my rating. The average came to 2.7777 so I just rounded up and settled on 3 stars.

I received this book in a First Reads Giveaway. I was not family or with any of these authors, but I plan on looking into the writings of the authors I enjoyed.

Daughter of Belgium by Marci Jefferson
2/5 stars
I enjoyed this story until the
Kristin Lambert
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One thing I love about historical fiction is learning about bits of the past you never hear about in school, the history that has fallen through the cracks. This anthology delivers the goods with lots of fascinating historical details, paired with those other essential ingredients for fantastic historical fiction (in my opinion anyway) - deep emotional impact and characters who seem whole and real.

Of the nine stories, a few made me cry, one made me smile all the way through, and two had my hear
Kris - My Novelesque Life
FALL OF POPPIES: STORIES OF LOVE AND THE GREAT WAR
Written by Heather Webb, Hazel Gaynor, Beatriz Williams, Jennifer Robson, Jessica Brockmole, Kate Kerrigan, Evangelina Holland, Marci Jefferson and Lauren Willig
2016; 356 Pages
Genre: fiction, historical fiction, romance, world war one, short stories, anthology

(I received an ARC from the EDELWEISS in exchange for an honest review.)

★★★1/2

Nine historical fiction writers get together and put out an anthology of love stories set in World War I. Each s
Kathy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some special stories included in this WWI anthology. I took my time with it and appreciated the effort of putting this collection together.
Carole (in Canada)
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance, Fiction
My Rating: 3.5*
This collection of World War One short stories all center around the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month...Armistice Day 1918. Each touches on the havoc the Great War has wrecked on the world and the lives of people it forever changed. Some stories touched me more than others. The loss of innocence, betrayal, love lost and found but most of all hope. Each person who reads this will be impacted differently.
Angie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories that each include in some way Armistice Day: November 11, 1918. Every story was enjoyable and different and left me wanting more! I will definitely check out works by the authors I haven't previously read.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
3.5 for the anthology as a whole but Lauren Willig's addition of The Record Set Right is definitely at least 4/5.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during A Fall of Poppies (September 2016)

The cat stands, stretches, and meows to be let out. Simple, ordinary things that punctuate the hour, the day, a year, a life. - Hazel Gaynor, "Hush"

Life changed the day war was declared, but it changed again on November 11th, 1918, when the war stopped. The problem was in four years of fighting, of death, of destruction, the world could never go back to the way it was. Atrocities were perpe
Jess
I should have reviewed this as I went along (and I meant to), but it just got away from me. This was just okay. The biggest problem with it as a satisfying anthology is that all of the entries were far too short, and that meant the stories themselves felt incomplete. I think it would have worked far better with fewer works of longer length.

My other complaint, and this is entirely on me, is that I expected all of the stories to have a love story at their center and I suppose they did, but they ce
Lacygnette
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't actually read this entire book of stories. The first one was blah, but I tried again. The second and third were as bad - poor writing, simplistic solutions, banal plots. Very heavy on the happy endings, without much sense in getting there. Others might enjoy but it wasn't for me. (And apologies to the remainder of the writers whose stories I didn't read. Perhaps there is a gem, but I couldn't wade through any more...)
Cait
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in2016
This was all a very firm MEH.
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 2/23/16: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2016/...

I'm not always a huge fan of anthologies, but since I have enjoyed Hazel Gaynor and Lauren Willig's writing in the past, I decided to give this one a go. Also, my knowledge of WWI is limited compared to other conflicts, so I'm always on the lookout for fiction that can provide perspective into The Great War. On the surface, the war seems so tedious to me as the men are mired down in the muck of trench warfare, but oft
Heather C
I have been loving the trend recently for historical fiction authors to come together in between their individual works and put together anthology collections. It’s excellent for the community and the themes that the projects have focused on have been different and compelling. So far, of these collections, I have read: Grand Central: Original Stories of Postwar Love and Reunion (revolving around a single day at Grand Central at the end of WWII), A Day of Fire: A Novel of Pompeii (the day of the ...more
Cathy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am not going to write a full review because this is a collection of short stories and I wrote an update with a star rating on each of the stories.

I really do feel like I was immersed into that time by reading all those stories back to back. Probably twice a year (Remembrance Day and Valentine's Day) I will go back and read a story or two from this book just to bring me back to that time and those feelings.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction revolving around the
Kathleen Kelly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month November 1918...signified the end of the war in Europe. A devasting war where so many lives were lost.

Poppies are often used for remembrance, particularly from WWI so the title of this book is particularly poignant.

The Fall of Poppies is a book comprising of nine different authors, coming together to tell the stories of love, hope and starting over.

The Daughter of Belgium by Marci Jefferson, about a young woman whose family is gone
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"November 7, 1918
Brussels, Belgium

Sister Wilkins caught my eye from across the nurse's parlor of Institut Cavell. The day I'd been dreading had arrived. The British nurse had lose much during this war, though she knew better than anyone that I'd lost more. She also knew my secret, and that I'd do anything to protect it." (pg 1- The Daughter of Belgium, Marci Jefferson)

Hard to believe the life of those who survived the Great War, must have been as both survivors and those who served in the war th
Tara Chevrestt
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an anthology about love and war, just as the title suggests, but it's not the sappy, tear-your-clothes-away kind of love. It's all kinds of love. Not just the man-woman love but also the mother-son love.

The first story, The Daughter of Belgium, focuses on a young woman in occupied Belgium who has been hiding her daughter from the invading soldiers. Her life has been pretty much destroyed. When charged with caring for a German soldier, she's rather conflicted.

I didn't like this story. I
Lianne
I was approved an ARC of this book by the publishers via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This review in its entirety was originally posted at eclectictales.com: http://www.eclectictales.com/blog/201...

Fall of Poppies is a pretty solid anthology featuring interesting stories that focus on different aspects of experiences and events of the first World War: characters who witnessed atrocities firsthand and their aftermath, soldiers enduring lifelong scars, characters adrift as the world
Kathryn Bashaar
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of short stories that take place in one of my favorite eras: World War I. More specifically, on the date the war ended: 11/11/1918. All of the stories have action that takes place on that date, although many of them also have action that takes place a little earlier or later. As a writer, I like the notion of this challenge: you must write a story that has to do with Armistice Day. I was a little disappointed in most of the stories, though. Most of them were just okay. ...more
Stephanie
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fall of Poppies is a collection of nine historical fiction short stories by some of my favorite authors. Focusing on the effects of people’s lives and relationships after World War I ended, each story digs into a different aspect of love, loss and moving on. Every story brings something different and moving in subtle ways. I did wish that many of the stories were longer and I could have followed the character’s journey even longer! I did thoroughly enjoy every story in the collection, but I did ...more
Heidi Timmons
I love the theme of the end of World War I. Such an interesting time in history to experience the mixed emotions of celebration and loss.

Daughter of Belgium - Author pulls you into the story and transports you to running side by side with the main character.

Record Set Right - What a voice! The author has mastered this character.

All for the Love of You - Brings you into France at the end of the war and I loved the ending.

After You've Gone - Diverse point of view character! Nice to see the perspec
  • An American Airman in Paris: A Short Story from Fall of Poppies: Stories of Love and the Great War
  • At the Edge of Summer
  • Grand Central: Original Stories of Postwar Love and Reunion
  • Mistress of the Court (Georgian Queens, #2)
  • A Song of War: A Novel of Troy
  • The Worthington Wife
  • Goodbye Piccadilly (War at Home #1)
  • A Girl Like You (Henrietta and Inspector Howard, #1)
  • The Beauty Shop
  • The Lost Season of Love and Snow
  • Tides of Honour
  • The Virgin's War (Tudor Legacy #3)
  • A Light of Her Own
  • Lies Told in Silence
  • The Determined Heart: The Tale of Mary Shelley and Her Frankenstein
  • The Beauty Chorus
  • A Study in Scoundrels (Romancing the Rules, #2)
  • Moonlight over Paris (The Great War #3)
When Josephine Bonaparte appeared to Heather in a dream, she switched gears from fun-loving high school teacher to author & history nerd on the prowl for fascinating stories.

To date, her historical novels have sold in multiple countries worldwide, received national starred reviews, and have been featured in print media including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekl