Start by marking “Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge (Singaporean Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge (Singaporean Mystery, #3)

Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge

(Singaporean Mystery #3)

Rosie “Aunty” Lee—feisty widow, amateur sleuth and proprietor of Singapore’s best-loved home cooking restaurant—is back in another delectable, witty mystery set in Singapore.

Slightly hobbled by a twisted ankle, crime-solving restaurateur Aunty Lee begrudgingly agrees to take a rest from running her famous café, Aunty Lee’s Delights, and turns over operations to her friend
Published April 5th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge, please sign up.
Elizabeth Robinson Book #3 does include recipes, including very detailed instructions on making mooncakes! There's also a guide to Auntie Lee's favorite restaurants and…moreBook #3 does include recipes, including very detailed instructions on making mooncakes! There's also a guide to Auntie Lee's favorite restaurants and other places in Singapore which would be handy if you are planning a visit.(less)

Liviania
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have not read the first two Aunty Lee mysteries, but Ovidia Yu does a thorough job of catching new readers up to the cast and setting. AUNTY LEE'S CHILLED REVENGE is loaded with details about Singaporean culture, including the food, attitudes toward family and marriage, and perception of immigrants. I don't know how much of this information was familiar to readers of the first two books, but I found it fascinating.

Aunty Lee is a nosy old lady in the vein of Miss Marple or Jessica Fletcher. Her
bookczuk
Set in Singapore, this cozy centers on the death of a tourist, the sister of the notorious "Puppy Killer", a British ex-pat who'd had a puppy euthanized, and caused a scandal years before. Aunty Lee, and her cast of characters, come into play because the Puppy Killer has returned (with her now murdered-sister) to sue the people who originally brought charges, and made an internet sensation, of the case. And of course, they know Aunty Lee.

This was my first foray into Aunty Lee's world. I found th
Fungi From Yuggoth
REVIEW: AUNTY LEE'S CHILLED REVENGE by Ovidia Yu

Third in the SINGAPOREAN MYSTERY series, this mystery requires Aunty Rosie Lee, proprietor of a well-patronized Singapore restaurant, to solve two mysteries that may involve her new business partner. A British expatriate accused three years earlier of killing an adopted dog, has returned to Singapore and is herself murdered, reigniting the uproar she had incited three years ago. Aunty Lee may be an outstanding cook and restaurateur, but she is also
Jacqie
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Kristin
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Premise of the story is, Allison Love is brutally murdered in her hotel room prior to an arranged meeting with Brian, Josephine and Cherril over a pending lawsuit that the three ruined Allison's marriage and life. Valerie Love, Allison's sister, is left traumatized and alone in hateful Singapore and Auntie Lee takes her in.

As the murder investigation unfolds, Auntie Lee begins to realize there is more to this than meets the eye, and pulling and pushing a few strings herself, starts to unravel a
Jessica
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge is the third book in the Singaporean mystery series. Keep in mind, while reading this review, that I haven't read the first two in the series. I'm also not generally a big reader of cozy mysteries, so this was a bit outside the box for me. That being said, I actually enjoyed this very much! Rest assured that this is an excellent standalone novel.

Aunty Lee is one of those characters who is instantly likable. She's that incorrigible family member that everyone loves, bu
Carol
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge is the third in a cozy mystery series by Ovidia Yu. I didn't read the first two in this series but I think it does very well as a standalone. For me the best part of the book was the main character, an older Asian woman with great knowledge of food and plenty of wisdom. Aunty Lee owns a very successful restaurant and enjoys figuring out mysteries. She compares it to developing a great recipe. I love the setting. I have in-laws who used to live there and I have heard s ...more
Marlene
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

I was introduced to the Aunty Lee series by this book. When I decided to be part of this tour, I figured that book 3 of a series wasn’t so far in that I couldn’t manage to catch up, so I was able to sink my teeth into the first two books in this delicious series, Aunty Lee's Delights and Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials, and I’m glad I did.

Not that a newbie to the series couldn’t start with Aunty Lee’s Chilled Revenge. The author does a good job of catching read
☺Trish
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I enjoyed this somewhat bizarre and complicated cozy mystery even though I had figured out whodunit halfway through the story.
Patty
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it

What it's all about...

Aunty Lee...a very interesting lady...a restaurant owner as well as a mystery solver...finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation...yet again! A woman has been killed and Aunty Lee is taking care of her sister. The sister is loud, overbearing and annoying. So Allison...the dead sister...came back to Singapore to sue people for the break up of her marriage. I think this all might have been in the book before this one in this series. But...it's explained cleanly an
Kathy Chung
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is the 3rd Aunty Lee's book that i have read and did not disappoints. In this instalment, Aunty Lee is livelier than before eventhough she had injured her ankle.

Two sisters, Allison and Vallerie , came to Singapore. Allison wanted to sue Cherril( who is Aunty Lee's partner) and two others for cause her marriage to collapse. But before she manage to do that, a murder happened. As usual, Aunty Lee had to stick her nose into it and our lovely journey begins.

i love it. there are so many parts
Mayda
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Aunty Lee is somewhat laid up with a twisted ankle, but that doesn’t stop her from nosing around after the death of a much-hated British expat, known in Singapore as the “puppy killer.” Something is definitely amiss, and another death spurs Aunty Lee to ferret out the truth. Though filled with the flavor of Singapore, this book at times drags and seems to lack focus. The solution to some of the mystery is pretty obvious early in the tale. Still, if you like mysteries set in foreign places, this ...more
Machelle
I was given this book for an honest review. I struggled some with the stilted conversations, but found the intrigue of the mystery fun and enjoyable. I was a little disconcerted by the differentiation of the two sisters by the skinny pretty sister and the fat sister. In today's world of labels and discriminations, I would think that an author could find better ways of defining the characters. I didn't allow that flaw to detract from the story, but probably would have rated it higher had the auth ...more
Nese
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The third book of the series is based on a real story of a 7 month dog, Tammy, who was adopted and then was euthanized by her adoptive family in Singapore. The author seems to have an amazing insight into human nature for the most part, especially dark side of it. However I found the ending of the book to be a letdown and inconsistent with the rest of the book. There were parts I couldn’t relate or understand (Aunt Lee’s response when she is told every horrible and violent thing Allison did, inc ...more
Damon
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
With the third installment in the Aunty Lee series, Yu strikes a comfortable balance between plot, characters, and context, and stands as the most enjoyable read of the three-book series. For perspective readers, while Yu gives enough context for readres to ignore the first two books in the series and pick this one up, I still suggest going back to the first book and building up to this one because it not only helps contextualize the setting, but will give the context to the increasing depth of ...more
Brian Williams
This is an amateur detective murder mystery story set in present day Singapore. A British woman who was shamed into leaving Singapore because she euthanized a puppy returns several years later to confront her tormentors. She is found dead in her hotel room after she misses a scheduled meeting with them. Aunty Lee takes on the role of detective in the search for the killer.

It's well plotted with several characters who may have motives to kill the woman, including her sister who seems to be suffer
Jillian
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Once again, I like the characters, the setting, the humour and the cultural insights, but I wish the plot moved a bit faster. I got impatient in the middle section of the book, skipped to the end, then returned to fill in and catch some of the snippets of wisdom.

"Almost every Singaporean was a self-pronounced expert on food, but Nina Balignasay [Aunty Lee's Philippine maid] considered herself an expert taking advice, whether or not she followed it. This was a skill a foreign domestic worker in S
Cissa
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the first two in the series!

Yu's characters remain vividly drawn, even fairly minor ones- to the point where I hope to see them in future episodes. The plot was very complex and intricate.

The sense of place, though, is probably the strongest component. Yu brings Singapore alive in my imagination, even though I've never been there or anyplace similar. While the descriptions of foods are enticing and make me see why Singapore is reputedly one of the world's top food destinations, h
Kim Tong Lim
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This the third book on Aunty Lee by Ovidia Yu. Aunty Lee owns a Peranakan café called Aunty Lee’s Delights. She has connections with the Singapore Police Force and uses her delightful Peranakan and Singapore local food to solve murder crimes.

After reading the two earlier books, it was easier to understand the characters in the third book. I could start to get into the murder mystery in Aunty Lee’s Chilled Revenge” quickly.

Aunty Rosie Lee was not only good in sniffing out information from differe
Shane
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed volume 3 of the Aunty Lee mystery series. If you've read other books in the series then you'll know what to expect, which is not necessarily a bad thing, because Aunty Lee is an interesting character. But she does show a lot more of her vulnerable side in this book.

I guessed the big plot twist at the end, as well as the murderer, but not all the details. I'm not always that great at guessing the murderer, so I'm guessing many others will likewise be able to guess. Whether that's a prob
Rhonda
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best yet in the series

I love these books for their evocation of Singapore, where I lived for 5 years and think of with great nostalgia. The characters and setting have been terrific since the beginning of the series, but the mystery plotting has been less accomplished. This third try is much improved and I'm sure the books will continue to improve as the series progresses. It's especially nice how the author has begun to flesh out the characters Aunty Lee and Nina, with inner existential questio
Min Yee
The story will be probably more interesting if the story includes more of Nina's involvement. I loved Aunty Lee using food as metaphors to describe her feelings or the complexity of the situations. However, I felt the previous two stories were better than this one. The questions were repetitive and there was a lot of beating around the bush in this story.

Summary is available here: Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge (Singaporean Mystery #3), Ovidia Yu.
I bought this book because I was very intrigued to read a book set in Singapore by a Singaporean woman. But the protagonist, an older woman who runs a restaurant, is not my favored detective type (not a fan of Miss Marple since I was a teen), but by the time I got about halfway through I was much more deeply engaged. I want to go back and collect the two previous mysteries. This is definitely a series that I think is worth reading in series order; there were quite a few references to things that ...more
Mary
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is lots of fun - Auntie Rosie Lee has a Peranakan restaurant in Singapore, which she uses as a base for solving murder mysteries that seem to occur around her, assisted by her able maid and sidekick, Nina, a Filipina and typical of guest workers. The story, of course, is as much or more about life and people in Singapore, not to mention some fantastic food. Since I am just returned from Singapore and some wonderful eating adventures, I particularly enjoyed it!
Killercalico
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am glad I discovered this series. Great characters and after 3 books in the series they feel like friends
Just a good escape mystery series. The descriptions of Singapore are good, the story could be set anywhere.
Jennie Rosenblum
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect vacation read because Aunty Lee is always up to something! And the talk of food always makes me hungry and willing to try new things as I travel! This series is consistently very good.
sfw
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining series about an elderly restaurant owner and excellent chef whose employees/family/customers/friends keep getting her involved in solving murders. For evenings when you want entertainment.
Andrea
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was rather complicated, but I had figured out a part of the mystery about halfway through. I like being in another culture when I'm reading it and I think the author does a good job of explaining things to the foreign audience. Enjoyable.
Rosette Braaten
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me longer to finish this one of the series, but it still holds to the charm of everything that I love about Singapore, it’s people, culture, and best of all the food. This is a great read for those of us who grew-up in Singapore and now live abroad.
Michelle
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in a day - loved it! Thought this was better than #2 and loved the twist at the end as it all made sense. Also, i enjoy how Ovidia weaves in key social issues within each of her books. I can’t wait to read the next one already.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Satanic Mechanic  (Tannie Maria Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Takeout (Key West Food Critic Mystery #7)
  • Scot Free
  • Caught Bread Handed (A Bakeshop Mystery, #4)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Sleeping City (Girl Genius, #13)
  • Precious Bones
  • A Dish Best Served Cold (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #3)
  • Heart of Stone (Ellie Stone Mysteries #4)
  • Murder in Shadow (New Scotland Yard/Doyle and Acton, #6)
  • The Rat Catchers' Olympics (Dr. Siri Paiboun #12)
  • Murder at the House of Rooster Happiness (Ethical Chiang Mai Detective Agency #1)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • The Woman in the Camphor Trunk (Anna Blanc Mysteries #2)
  • The Body in the Gazebo (Faith Fairchild, #19)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Shunned and Dangerous (An Amish Mystery, #3)
  • For Whom the Bread Rolls (Pancake House Mystery #2)

Singaporean Mystery (4 books)
  • Aunty Lee's Delights (Singaporean Mystery #1)
  • Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials (Singaporean Mystery #2)
  • Meddling and Murder (Singaporean Mystery #4)