Start by marking “The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)

The Cold Between

(Central Corps #1)

When her crewmate Danny is murdered on the colony of Volhynia, Central Corps engineer Commander Elena Shaw is shocked to learn the main suspect is her lover, Treiko Zajec. She knows Trey is innocent—he was with her when Danny was killed. So who is the real killer and why are the cops framing an innocent man?

While retracing Danny’s last hours, they discover that his death m
Published March 8th 2016 by Harper Voyager

Felicia
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vaginal-sf
I really liked this book. The cover has a dude with a tiny pony tail on it, which I think is just the worst. But inside, this is a really solid mystery-sci-fi-romance. I really liked the main characters and setting and world.

The tiny ponytail aside, recommended.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

The Cold Between is a gritty mystery mixed with romance, wrapped in a space opera setting. It begins with a brief prologue in which the Central Corps spaceship Phoenix is about to detonate a large bomb. One of the medical crew, Kate, scrambles to prepare for the explosion, a little distracted by thoughts of her family, especially her twelve year old son Greg. Jumping forward twenty-five years, the Central Corps spaceship Galileo, with Greg Fos
Lindsay
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
An engaging space opera with elements of romance, mystery and military SF that doesn't quite live up to the complexity of it's world-building.

The setting is a remote sector of human-colonized space. There are two armed space-faring organizations that take responsibility for aiding and policing the human colonies. Central Corps is the Earth government navy of which the ship Galileo is part. The main character, Commander Elena Shaw, is the Chief Engineer of the Galileo and there are a couple of ot
Robyn
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This one is light on the science and on the world-building, but heavy on plot and character. Thankfully, that worked very well for me. Even the whirlwind romance felt genuine, and I think it was the interplay between the four central characters and several supporting members of the crew that really hooked me. In particular, I quite liked Elena, even if she could be incredibly (and yet, in my experience, realistically) oblivious at times.

Oddly, for a book that I enjoyed so much, I do think the b
Tim Hicks
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
So, we have a romance/SF/military murder mystery.
I have always thought that books like that, with the possible exception of Bujold's Vorkosigan series, are likely to do none of the parts well.

Indeed, I saw one review that compared this to Bujold. That's a bit like saying Coors Light and Trappist Rochefort 10 are alike because they are both beers.

Bonesteel's third book will probably be good. Her second will be mostly good.

Near the end, I was finalizing my opinions when I came across - within
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
John
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really not my kind of book. Bones of a decent story, but the author weighs them down with talk talk talk about relationships--forming, foundering, hitting the rapids, enduring complications and misunderstandings, being analyzed--and that had me flipping forward from Chapter One. The author also makes her solar systems the about the size of small towns, has spacecraft stopping and letting "inertia slow them down," and crafts a military organization whose members are constantly disobeying and ques ...more
Andrea
A mystery involving a space military engineer from a force that doesn't seem to have any form of fraternisation rules.

I found it a little hard to get into, but it kept me interested enough. Not sure I'll continue with the story though, since the end removes the character I liked most, and leaves us with the character who acted like an ass for a long period of time for dumb reasons.
Beth
This novel was right up my alley: science fiction, romance, mystery, and action all tossed into the cocktail shaker and vigorously oscillated. I understand the comparison to Bujold: the mystery is satisfyingly complex, containing both human and scientific elements, and the characters are vivid and likeable (though I agree with other reviewers that the villains are mostly one-note. (view spoiler) ...more
Scott
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I thought this was really well done. It was definitely a page turner with an interesting mystery and strong willed characters that I enjoyed reading about. Loved the relationship between Elena and Trey. Elena was especially entertaining, was cheering for her the whole way!

Will be interested to see where this goes from here after that ending
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
2.5 stars. Fails too many realism tests. And yes, I expect realism. The whole 500 pages of action action action happens in about 24 hours, and that's just *impossible*. Maybe that wormhole DID bend time. And don't get me started on the unbelievable and sloppy military protocol and personnel behavior.

HOWEVER, it's a fast-paced fun book. It's romance meets mil SF. I appreciate the heavy romance element was concluded in a non "happily ever after" way.

I expect the next book in this series to be stro
Carolyn F.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sfr, library-book
I can't believe I'm saying this but there was too much romance in this sci-fi romance. There's an old love, a want to be your lover and then a new guy that gets in her pants hour(s?) after meeting her. The mystery was okay. Not really game changing to me although it seemed to say a lot to everyone else in this book. I thought this was okay.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Cold Between is both a mystery and a romance. It all starts when Elena goes on shore leave and does something very out of character for her. She goes home with a man she meets at a bar. They have an instant attraction but both know it is a one-time thing. She is on shore leave off of a space ship and he lives on the planet. What neither knows is that he is about to be framed for murder. The victim is a crewmember on Elena’s ship and is also her former lover. The killing took place while Ele ...more
Carrie Mansfield

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for review consideration.

Oh The Cold Between, how much I wanted to love you. You're a military sci-fi novel written by a woman that contains several strong and likable female characters: there just aren't enough of you out on the shelves these days. So I stuck with you. I kept going and kept going just waiting for that moment when it would all click together for me and somehow it never quite happened, which is just so disappointing.

Trying to peg
Captain
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise but I couldn't get past the near constant bickering/insubordination going on in the book. It had a promising start, hybrid space ship goes missing near a pulsar/wormhole; conspiracy from the top down, cover ups,space pirates, kidnapping, murder! This book had a lot of potential but unfortunately it fell flat and was largely overshadowed by the shitty interpersonal relationships and constant miscommunication that goes down between the captain and several crew members. I mean ...more
Glennis
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
The setting of the book a bit of a murder mystery and it seems that it may link back to a missing starship from 25 years ago. Elena is on shore leave on the planet next to a wormhole that sends out an EMP blast every day like clockwork. While she is out having drinks and consoling her broken heart her ex -boyfriend is murdered and by coincidence the man she spent the evening with is framed for Danny’s murder. Once she is back up on the ship she finds out Trey, the man she whiled away a night of ...more
Vasuki Narayan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read...

I didn't quite know what to expect when I started this book. But new authors always interest me, and this seemed to have the "sci-fi with human relationships and a mystery to solve" formula of the J.D. Robb "... in death" books that I love.

It's fun, interesting and keeps you riveted. It's well written and moves at a good pace. I'm definitely a fan, and I'm looking forward to more from this author.
Liz B
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, sciencefiction
So not really science fiction romance, but definitely science fiction with romantic elements. It's billed as military scifi, and there are two military or paramilitary outfits involved--but everyone is so seemingly blase about the chain of command or any kind of discipline that the "military" aspect seems more like a convenience of transportation and plot. That's ok! I'm not that interested in military stuff anyway.

Our main character is on shore leave and hooks up with a guy. While they are busy
SmartBitches
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

First of all, Elizabeth Bonesteel is either the best pen name ever or the best real name ever. It’s also the best possible hero last-name.

Steely boners aside, The Cold Between is a blend of science fiction, mystery and romance that I found difficult to put down. It is not, however, a romance novel, so I want to warn readers looking for a guaranteed HEA to gird their loins.

One disappointment was the relationship between Elena and Captain Foster. At first
Elena
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, arc, sci-fi, romance
A delightful sci-fi mystery with a strong current of romance, this action-packed novel filled with great characters to root for and against is perfect for fans of Lois McMaster Bujold.

Thanks to Harper Voyager and Edelweiss for providing a review copy.
Nanci
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would give this 3.5 stars. I liked it, but the end fell a little flat for me. I'm interested to read the second one, although I'm not sure where they go from here.
Morgan Dhu
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Elizabeth Bonesteel’s The Cold Between is a murder mystery in space, wrapped up in political conflicts, covert assignments, questions about a 20-year-old tragedy involving the destruction of a ship near a wormhole, and a dash of romance.

The novel opens with an emergency evacuation of a space ship, followed by the destruction of all hands. Years later, the wormhole believed responsible for the event is still off-limits, though scientific curiosity abounds about the exact fate of the Phoenix.

Not
Jessica
Feb 11, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
I've been at 15% for about 3 years now and calling it quits. The character interactions made me tense and reading reviews tells me that's likely to continue. Not for me.
Walter
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of action and unexpected twists, excellent reading
Mike
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was okay -- not great. But the audiobook narrator repeatedly mispronounced some common words, and that drove me crazy. How can this be allowed in a professional production?
Starfire
This felt like a bit of a cross between the Honor Harrington-verse (the Central Corps does feel vaguely like the Manticoran Navy) and the B5-verse (at least, if you just focussed on the human parts of it, and ignored the aliens)

I basically enjoyed it, although some of the interactions between the female lead and her CO made me cringe more than a little. Looking forward to the next book in the series :-)
S.J. Higbee
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one. Elena is an appealing protagonist, who has sufficient history to make her wary of being pulled into situations where she is liable to be hurt again. But this story is as much about Greg, a Central Corp captain who is defined by a tragedy in his past and how in the present he still struggles to put it into context. Of course, if the book was all about somewhat damaged characters staggering from the loves and losses of their past, I wouldn’t be giving this one the time of ...more
John Carter McKnight
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of reviewers are comparing The Cold Between to Lois McMaster Bujold's work. I didn't see it, and I still don't: to me it feels a lot like James S.A. Corey's books. Decent but flawed people trying to make their way through a galaxy of venality, corruption, and corporate exploitation, a hint of some wider mysteries, but grounded in real people with real relationships.

The Cold Between starts off as a romance: an engineering chief on shore leave meets a handsome mysterious stranger in a spacep
William Bentrim
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cold Between by Elizabeth Bonesteel

My initial fear as I started this book was it was a romantic fantasy wrapped in a SciFi pseudonym. I guess I was unprepared for the exceptional story that was revealed. Conflicting life styles characterize the story line. Planet bound corruption is juxtaposed with laissez-faire government and gypsy policing. The book is people focused with the trappings of a future that is both hopeful and predictable.

The predictable part is that corporate greed and corrup
Liz
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Liz Bourke recommendation. (Thanks!)
Sometimes I forget that, with audiobooks, my usual rule that a book has 20 minutes to give me something to care about isn't a successful approach. I have no problem with books that open with a prologue that is not immediately relevant although later becomes revelatory, but when a book I'm listening to in audio does it, I feel like I've sunk all this time into the beginning story and have no payoff.
Moral of the story: it's worth it in the end
  • Empire of Dust (Psi-Tech #1)
  • Waypoint Kangaroo (Kangaroo, #1)
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
  • The Morcai Battalion (The Morcai Battalion, #1)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox #2)
  • The Red: First Light (The Red #1)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • The Daedalus Incident (Daedalus #1)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • Hunger Makes the Wolf (The Ghost Wolves, #1)
  • Lightless (Lightless, #1)
  • Dark Run (Keiko, #1)
  • Stars Uncharted
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2; Confederation, #7)
  • Edge of Dark (The Glittering Edge, #1)
  • The Empress Game (The Empress Game Trilogy #1)

Central Corps (3 books)
  • Remnants of Trust (Central Corps, #2)
  • Breach of Containment (Central Corps #3)
“that was reality, and when all of this was untangled she would have to sit down and have a good hard look at that fact.” 3 likes
“You’re not a detective, dear. You’re a mechanic.” “It’s debugging, Bob, like I do every day. Start with what’s wrong, and go backward until you find the cause.” “You’re” 2 likes