Start by marking “Old Faithful: Dogs of a Certain Age” as Want to Read:
Old Faithful: Dogs of a Certain Age

Old Faithful: Dogs of a Certain Age

A stunning and indelible collection of portraits and stories that capture dogs of a certain age in all their patchy, scruffy, jowly, and devoted glory—an homage to man’s best friend, based on the popular international photography project.

The dogs in Old Faithful are well worn, well loved, and well on in years. After his grandmother’s 100th birthday party, photographer and
Published October 27th 2015 by Harper Design

To ask other readers questions about Old Faithful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Faithful

karen
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
old dogs are the new black.

photo IMG_6245_zpsd4apjsds.jpg

this is the third "old dog" book i've read in the past year or so, along with Dogs with Old Man Faces: Portraits of Crotchety Canines and Dog Years: Faithful Friends, Then & Now, and i still have My Old Dog: Rescued Pets with Remarkable Second Acts on my to-read list.

this was my final book of 2015, which i read on new year's eve because my book-ocd required me to end my reading challenge on an even number. 279 is ugly and jaggedy, 280 is soft and huggable.

and i'm
Carol
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, art, ebook, read-2016
Awwwwwww......thoughts coming.
Wendy
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old Faithful

What a wonderful book! I could look at photos and read stories of old dogs all day long. I'm a huge fan of people who adopt dogs and especially old dogs. God has a special place in heaven for these beautiful people.
Jen
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Ok, if you have a soft spot in your heart for animals, dogs in particular, this book will make you want to cry. A lot. But in a good way. Sorta.

Cuz these dogs are OLD and not all of them made it to when the book was published. And they are so darn CUUUUTE!!!

And people who hurt/abuse animals need to all be treated as badly as they treat the animals they abuse. I get ANGRY when I hear about people abusing animals. This book is good in showing how older dogs may have had a tough beginning in their
Jami
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ask anyone in my family, they will tell you how much I adore old dogs!! There is something about their whiskers. their grey hairs, THEIR EYES!! This is a collection of beautiful photos of elderly dogs and their stories. Dogs are so loyal and wonderful companions. I cherish my dear Oreo, and hope and pray I can see him through his Twilight years when he gets older. He is truly my best friend !!
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Old dogs are so precious. Having just lost my old dog it was impossible to look at all the beautiful faces in this book, with their grey fur and lumps and bumps and wise eyes, and read their stories, without shedding a tear or 100. In a world where only youth and beauty are considered worthwhile it is so wonderful to read about those who love and honor their old dogs and are able to see their oldsters' value. I especially enjoyed the stories of Norman and Mance, the bulldogs (of course!).A book ...more
H.L. Stephens
This is a two-fisted hankie kind of book. As a mother of an 11 year old Pomeranian, I snatched this book off the shelf when I saw it, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. The photos of these faithful old souls were beautiful as were the stories that accompanied them. I had to read in spurts to give my sinuses a break. It is a definite keeper, and I do so hope that Thorne will release a second volume. There are so many more stories that be to be told.
Emmy Groendyke
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
::insert gross crying:: Five stars, old dogs are the best dogs. So many years of friendship, and loyalty and slobbering. Beware this is a total tear jerker and if you don't cry reading this book then you have no soul.
Susan Breslow
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engrossing photos of senior dogs. Most are accompanied by text from the owner, which ranges from mundane to tear-producing. Have given the book one star less because no old cockers were featured.
Tracy Hollander
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! Love those old faces.
Nicole
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I'll pretend I didn't cry happy tears throughout this beautiful photography book.
Emmy
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the premise and I really liked looking at all the pictures of these sweet old dogs. I guess I'm not a pet person, though, because after the seventh or eighth time someone referred to their dog as their best friend, the best snuggle buddy the world has ever know, or how they are beloved by the entire world, I was kind of done. I love dogs and I love that you love your dog. One or two of these sentiments would not have been a problem. But, after a while, I felt like I was reading the same ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful photos of aging pets

I had my 2 fur babies for over 10 years. Both were rescued so I had my hands full with escapes in the beginning and lots of puppy love for the rest of their lives. I lost my best friend to ruptured spleen and his brother a year later to cancer. I knew what each person felt as i looked at the photos and read their stories.
Pete , thanks for bringing their stories to life

Kim
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who love all dogs

I bought this book having recently sent my 15 year old golden retriever Rusty to the rainbow bridge. He was my 3rd golden to leave us but lived the longest despite a rough first 8 years. He was a red golden but developed a sugar face and eventually his red was half silver. Old dogs are the best and it warmed my heart to read how others loved their old souls.
Astridh
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love dogs, you will enjoy reading this book!!

This book is full of amazing histories from wonderful beings (dogs) and their lucky families
I loved the book!!
The pics are beautiful and the stories reminded me my own experiences with my beloved dog.
I hope this book helps to make people appreciate the magic and kindness from older dogs.
Vera Turner
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely pictures of our faithful and loving friends in there prime. The front of the.book looks just like my dog of 14 years who passed away last year. I love to go through the book at least once a month.
Wonderly
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Just a lovely book....the photos and accompanying stories are simply perfect. I am moved to tears...wonderful book for anyone who loves or has loved a senior pup...
Lara Monroe
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Go check it out at the library today. This is the best book I have ever come across.
Peggie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet.
Lynn Porter
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love in all flavors

Dogs given signified chance to express their emotions their characters their 💘 with no snide remarks from crude cruel two leggeds.
Meredith
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Reading this book will probably make you cry a little bit. I'm very sorry. Looking at the sweet doggy faces and reading about their long lives is worth it, though. As I write this, my own dog is 9 years old. I hope he lives to be 100. And I hope that all dogs can live long and happy lives with families who love them.
Patty
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nf-dogs
photos of old dogs and brief commentary about the dog from their owner. It is delightful to see these old dogs celebrated and loved. Many were rescues. Each has a story told by proud owner of wonderful traits and sweet doggie personality.
Nick
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book alternates between several full page photos of the dogs and then small photos and the stories of the dogs from the previous photos. The stories were all written by the dog owners. I have a special fondness for old dogs! If I looked at these photos too long some of them could make me cry. I figured it would be very hard to read the stories but it wasn't. Some stories were sad as the dog had died. Some said the dog was in poor health and close to death. Others said their dogs may be old ...more
Claudia
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Professional photos of some old characters with a story by their loving owners.

They are a bit white around the muzzle, ears and face. They may have lost some teeth. But the love is evident in their eyes - even if the physical eyes are gone.

The affection of their owners is equally evident in their words. And so many of these adored companions are rescued and/or from shelters as well as not being necessarily young puppies when they got to their forever homes.

This is a book that every dog lover wo
Austen_Wodehouse
I received this book from my Mum for Christmas and read through it on Boxing Day (Dec26th). My Mum who knows that I love old dogs and photography knew that I would love the book, which I thoroughly did even though several of the doggy bios made me cry. I advise anyone who reads the book to make sure you have a box of Kleenex beside you.
Janis
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Beautiful photos with sweet stories from proud owners. No in-depth info, just a beautiful "coffee table" book. I read it as an ebook, and the large photos came in a group of about 6 before the individual stories. Placement would have been better if the large photo of a dog was right beside the story about that dog.
Janci
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book might be sad but it is not. The stories are wonderful as are the pictures.
This is truly a testament to the human-canine bond, and how wonderful is that?

I hope people with old dogs know how lucky they are. My first dog never got gray, he was 5 years old when we had to put him down due to cancer. Now I have two coming up on 5, every day is a gift.
sherry Lazlo
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful Book

I loved all the stories and pictures of these sweet older dogs. Some of the stories brought tears to my eyes. I lost my sweet Boston Terrier Tia in September of 2014 at the age of twelve and a half. We adopted her at 8 months and she brought such joy to our lives. I miss her everyday.
Thank you for writing this wonderful book.
Debbie Eppler
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dogs Teach Us So Much

If you're a dog lover, you will love this book. Such lovely stories from their humans give great insight into what it means to be loved by a dog. Loved all the sweet doggie faces - just wish there were more!
Matimate
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
There are many books with puppies photos, which are centered on cuteness of little dogs. This book fills hiatus and put on display elderly dogs with their stories and photos. The stories had happy endings, but some of them were dramatic or bit of tragic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics
  • Dogs in Cars
  • Underwater Dogs
  • Dog Shaming
  • 101 Salivations: For the Love of Dogs
  • The Cat Rescue Diaries: 56 True Life Stories of Cats Who Found Their Forever Homes, and the People Who Saved Them
  • National Geographic Rarely Seen: Photographs of the Extraordinary
  • Dream Dog
  • Monkey Portraits
  • Animals Talking in All Caps: It's Just What It Sounds Like
  • If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You: True Portraits of Dogs
  • Sorry I Pooped in Your Shoe (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Doggie)
  • Notes from a Dog Rescue in Progress