Start by marking “News of the World” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  51,825 ratings  ·  7,908 reviews
In the aftermath of the Civil War, an aging itinerant news reader agrees to transport a young captive of the Kiowa back to her people in this exquisitely rendered, morally complex, multilayered novel of historical fiction from the author of Enemy Women that explores the boundaries of family, responsibility, honor, and trust.

In the wake of the Civil War, Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd travtrust.

In
Published October 4th 2016 by William Morrow (first published March 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about News of the World, please sign up.
Tiffany My 12-year-old son has listened to the audio book twice already. He loved it, and so did I.
Leslie I got it from the Library, I got the audio book, which I highly recommend, the reader is excellent...the book is really good in listening form. I…moreI got it from the Library, I got the audio book, which I highly recommend, the reader is excellent...the book is really good in listening form. I think this is a book you could actually sit down with your kids and listen to, maybe not really young kids, but certainly teenage kids, if you could get them to sit and listen to a story at night. Such a great story. I will remember it for years to come. Excellent 5 stars plus! (less)

·  51,825 ratings  ·  7,908 reviews

Angela M
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I didn't give this 5 stars to begin with but I have now . Every once in a while a character comes along that leaves that indelible mark on my heart that will make me think about them for a long time and think that if this were a real person, I'd want them in my life. Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd (Kep-den) is one of those characters as is Johanna (Chohenna). It's 1870 in Texas and after his service in the wars, he's a News a Reader going from town to town reading the news of the d ...more
Will Byrnes
Brina
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is 1870. Reconstruction era Texas is governed by a combination of outlaws and bandits and bordered on by Native Americans. Enter Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd. A veteran of three wars, he uses both his position as a war hero and Texas' isolation from the rest of the country to travel around the state giving readings of the News of the World. Such commences Paulette Jiles short yet poignant novel.

While giving one of his readings in Witchita Falls, Kidd encounters Britt Johnson, a freed slave. J
PirateSteve
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Try not to mourn the demise of Penelope and Amelia. "Iss the song and the sigh of the willy" and laff-ter is so good for the soul.

Weather you measure time with a gold watch or the click, click, click sound of a broken wheel...
Spend as much time as possible with someone that you love, someone that you trust, someone that you can trust with your love.
And that's what Captain Kidd and Johanna the savage have done. If we are lucky, it all comes quickly between those people so deserving of it.
Jen
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent. I was rendered speechless upon finishing. Needed time to dry my tears and gather my thoughts.

What an adventure this was to read.
Captain Kidd is a seasoned man who reads the world news to towns and village folk in 1870. An ambitious illusion he has created in the hopes of bringing peace - at least for a few minutes - to the civil war torn Texans.
Now at the ripe age of 72, he has been given the daunting challenge of returning a 10 year old girl to her family af
Annet
To comfort himself and slow down his mind he thought of his time as a courier, a runner, and Maria Luisa and his daughters. Maybe life is just carrying news. Surviving to carry the news. Maybe we have just one message, and it is delivered to us when we are born and we are never sure what it says; it may have nothing to do with us personally but it must be carried by hand through a life, all the way, and at the end handed over, sealed.

Beautiful, beautiful book! Tender and poetic, emotional. Grea
Elyse Walters
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The year is 1870. The Civil War has ended.
"News of the World" is a heartfelt story.
A young 10 year girl, Johanna, gets introduced to Captain Kidd, in Wichita Falls.
Their relationship together - and their journey together is genuinely beautiful!
The author, Paulette Jiles wrote this story with so much depth, and passion, it takes your breath away.
This story will restore your faith in historical fiction - should you ever have had any doubt about this genre.

Captain Kidd, an aging war
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I would never have read this book if it wasn't for one of my groups pick for a badge.

I thought it was really sweet.

The story of a man and a little girl. Bittersweet and brought a tear to my eye. A happy tear. Enough said.

Mel 💕
Candi
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"He had the appearance of wisdom and age and authority, which was why his readings were popular and the reason the dimes rang into his coffee can. When they read his handbills men abandoned the saloon, they slipped out of various unnamed establishments, they ran through the rain from their firelit homes, they left the cattle circled and bedded beside the flooding Red to come and hear the news of the distant world."

Seasoned war veteran Captain Jefferson Kidd traverses post-Civil War north Texas read
Jaline
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd was born in 1798 and over the decades of his life he experienced many wars. In the year 1870 when our story begins just the month before his 72nd birthday, he is in Wichita Falls, Texas, preparing to give one of his readings.

After losing his wife and his livelihood in the last of the wars he fought in, he made his living traveling from town to town bringing the news of the world to the townsfolk at evening gatherings by giving readings from several newspap
Diane S ☔
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book dang near broke my heart...... but in a good way and solely due to the authors expertise in creating two wonderful characters with a unique relationship. captain Kidd, travels Northern Texas as a news reader, in post Civil War, Texas. He is offered a tidy sum to deliver a young girl who was captured by the Kiowa Indians when she was six, the rest of her immediate family killed in the raid.. Now ten she is traded back and needs to be returned to her aunt and uncle, her only surviving re ...more
Iris P
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers that enjoy historical fiction
Recommended to Iris P by: Karen

★★★★★ 5 Stars!

*******************************************

Once in a while readers of fiction can hope to experience this series of fortunate events:
A friend recommends a great book ➜ Your mindset happens to be ideal for said book ➜ You love the story = Literary bliss ensues!!
It is a little hard to admit that I almost allowed my preconceived notions get in the way of discovering this remarkable novel. Let's just say that News Of The Word, a novel marketed a/>
Lyn
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very good book.

Paulette Jiles 2016 novel about a traveling news reader in 1870 who comes across a child needing to be brought home to her family in the semi-wilds of northern Texas was a gem. Good enough to garner a National Book Award nomination and five stars from this very stingy reviewer.

Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd, a septuagenarian veteran of three wars in the 1800s, is living out the last years of his life traveling from town to town reading from newspapers to dime paying audiences on the frontier. Many of his liste
Larry H
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely 4.5 stars, maybe slightly more.

Yeah, I'm late to the party on this one.

I'm man enough to admit I didn't read this before now because I was misinformed. For some reason I mistakenly believed this book was another story which veered closely to True Grit —you know, cantankerous old man becomes the protector of a young-but-tough girl, and hijinks and friendships ensue. Having read the book, and seen both versions of the film, and also read a pretender or two, I really
Norma * Traveling Sister
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional journey this book took me on!  I am absolutely spent after reading this novel!

NEWS OF THE WORLD by PAULETTE JILES was a uniquely written historical fiction novel that takes you on a 400-mile long adventurous and sometimes dangerous journey across the state of Texas in 1870 after the American Civil War.

Reading this book via e-book THE COVER and TITLE did not come into play for me as it was chosen solely to be read on the recommendation of my sister, Brend
Julie Christine
As a freelance editor, I read and review manuscripts and query letters of aspiring novelists hoping to find the key to the padlocked gate of publishing. Time and again, I try to steer their query letters away from eager focus on the urgent themes of their work and toward the story itself. Authors can get so caught up in the necessity of their own narratives, the takeaway—what they want the reader to learn and know about the world—forgetting that their only real task is to tell a good story. If they can do th ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
The Civil War is just ending and Captain Jefferson Kidd is traveling through Texas reading the newspapers to people. He won't read them local news because everyone gets riled up and the shooting might start. He tells the stories of what is going on in Europe and other countries.

He is offered a 50 dollar gold piece from someone he trusts to take a 10 year old orphaned girl to her relatives. She had been taken by the Kiowa when she was six years old..so she is a tad bit wild to everyone's eyes.
So begins
Cathrine ☯️
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My reception and rating may be biased as the subject matter in this one is close to my heart and I have read a fair share of non-fiction works in common as well. I was pleased to see in the end remarks the author’s endorsement of the very excellent book The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier.

Accept for the minor complaint that I am not a fan of absent quotation marks, this is as near to reading perfection as I can get. I loved how she wove these fictional cha
Phrynne
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
Firstly thank you to a number of Goodreads friends who recommended this beautiful book. I am so glad you did and so glad that I followed your recommendations and read it myself.

As far as I am concerned this book is as near perfect as you can get! I loved Johanna to bits, Captain Kidd too, as they travelled together through the wild west, dealing with all the many threats that came to bear on them. And then that ending - how can you get better than that!

The book is short b
Duane
Excellent historical fiction. A 2016 National Book Award nominee.
Setting-- Texas Territory just after the Civil War.

Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd is a veteran of 2 wars, now he makes his living traveling the small towns of the North Texas Territory reading the news of the world from the nations leading newspapers. He charges a dime a head, and the people flock to hear anything about the world outside their small communities. But then he is given the task, for a 50 dollar gold piece, t
Linda
"There was no method by which he could explain anything to her but she did not need explanations. Often enough they had faced the howling, striving demons of the open plains: hunger, tornadoes, scarlet fever. She didn't need to be told anything except that there were enemies in pursuit and she had already figured that out."

A Texas reality in 1870 faces Captain Jefferson Kidd. The seventy year old war veteran gazes upon the aftermath of brother against brother. Reconstruction is a wor
Perry
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Bonding Journey

A sweet tale, without author-processed chemical additives, i.e., a truly touching tale, without the sentimentality I've seen some authors try to jam down our throats in recent books. The novel is accessibly written with prose just as forceful and colorful as the verbose Faulkner/McCarthy while being both more cinematic and more lyrical. It's somewhat reminiscent of Papa Hemingway with the moral complexities, but it's also about family and honor and commitment, in a lawless Texas of the
Robin
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a dear story, told in a wild time in history in areas where no one seems to be 'in charge', and people live by whatever they decide is law. In this time, Captain Kidd shows that honour and honesty are still alive, and that the fate of a 10 year old girl is still important.

1870's Texas: a place where most anyone is armed and ready, when many still meet violent ends despite the end of the Civil War, and when a guy can make a living reading newspapers aloud. That's what widowed,
Julie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
News of the World by Paulette Jiles is a 2016 William Morrow publication.

News of the World is another book on a list of award nominees I’ve worked my way through in the last days of 2016.

This may be one of my favorites on that list, due to the historical details provided about my home state of Texas. I am familiar with every place on the map Captain Kidd visited or described in his journey across the state.

In 1870, during the reconstruction period of Texas, law and order was random
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
**THIS AMAZING AUTHOR HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT IN 2020, "SIMON THE FIDDLER" WATCH FOR IT**

***I realize that I wrote this review a few years ago but I just re-read it with my book club and it was amazing what a wonderful discussion we had about it. It is very timely in this age of technology where we know news almost as it is happening. The states during 1870's post Civil war had to wait for the news from the East coast. There are many areas to discuss, I highly suggest this as a gr
Cheri
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
NOW AVAILABLE!!

There is no corner newsstand to get the latest news in print for the people that Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd is wont to visit, remote areas. He brings them the news, his selections varying on the mood of those he reads to. Ever careful to avoid riling up opposing political opinions in these circumstances, Kidd, in his early 70s, still is a presence that warrants attention. As the story begins, Kidd is in northern Texas, reading to those who attend and drop their dime i
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
News of the World is by Paulette Jiles. This book was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review by Harper Collins Publishers.

I want to admit up front that I don’t usually read historical fiction. This book was definitely outside of the norm for me. It has been receiving high ratings from other readers so I decided to give it a try. Although at times I could find myself fading when there was a lot of history, the characters won my heart.

Captain Jefferson Kidd is seventy one years old. He lost his wife, has raised two daughters, fought in several wars. It is 1870, a few years after the end of the Civil War and the country is still in turmoil. The Captain travels the country and for a price of ten cents each, he rents out large rooms and reads the news to anyone wanting to listen. This is how he makes his living. It is at one of his readings that an acquaintance of his asks for his help. He has a little ten year old girl that was taken by the Kiowa when she was six. He has rescued her but the little girl remembers nothing of her life before. In her mind she is a Kiowa. The little girl needs to be returned to her surviving family, an Aunt and Uncle. The trip would take three weeks and would be dangerous. He will pay the Captain $50 to deliver the girl.

1870 wagon:

The Captain is hesitant to take on such a huge responsibility. It is evident that the girl is wild. But he does accept the job. Along the journey his gentle way with her slowly settles her and they grow attached. They encounter danger and share joy. It was shocking to me the things that people of that time had to worry about, the danger they had to endure to survive. It is so foreign to anything we know now. But one thing is the same and that is that there are good people and there are bad people. There are people with blackness in their hearts who seek little ten year old girls for vile reasons. And little Johanna is lucky enough to have the Captain to protect her. Together they are a force to be reckoned with.

As their bond strengthens, the idea of returning her to her relatives becomes more and more painful. But this is what he was paid to do, it is the right thing to do, isn’t it?

I did enjoy this book, it was a quick read. I loved the ending. If you enjoy historical fiction then you will most likely love this.

Dem
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
News of the World is an engaging and enthralling short novel. The characters are written with such compassion that they will take hold of you as you will take this journey with them through the harshness of the landscape and the dangerous situations they find themselves in until you finish the last page and part company with these two memorable characters.

A truly lovely read where not a word is wasted and at 209 pages this book certainly packs a punch. A case of less is more seems to apply here.
Set in 1870, this i
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of those rare books that restores one's faith in humanity. When a man's word stood as enough.

I was disappointed when I first opened the package and saw that it was a small book in comparison to others. But not the message inside. We need more men like Captain Kidd.

Captain Kidd is paid to take a young captive Kiowa back to her people. In this case, her aunt and uncle. He doesn't really want to, she tries to escape, and after traveling across Texas a bond forms between them.
Karen
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd, such a wonderful man, loved him!! He had fought in two wars starting at the age of 16.
Now at 71 yrs old he is paid to bring 10 year old Johanna back to her relatives after her recovery from the Kiowa Indians who had captured her 4 years early and had killed her family. Johanna only knows the way of the Indians now and has lost the English language.
The Captain has a long and dangerous journey ahead, and while on this journey, he, a former printer, reads the n
Alexa Backlinks Service High Quality SEO 1 1 Jul 17, 2019 12:26PM
Monthly SEO Service 1 1 Jul 17, 2019 12:24PM
Truck Camping, Fuck Camping 1 3 Jul 02, 2019 01:26AM

• The Underground Railroad
  • Remember Ben Clayton
  • Doc
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Free Men
  • The Which Way Tree
  • The Summer Before the War
  • The Homesman
Paulette Jiles is an American poet and novelist. Born in Salem, Missouri, she was educated at the University of Missouri with a degree in Romance Lanugages. Jiles lives in the Texas Hill Country on a small ranch.

“Maybe life is just carrying news. Surviving to carry the news. Maybe we have just one message, and it is delivered to us when we are born and we are never sure what it says; it may have nothing to do with us personally but it must be carried by hand through a life, all the way, and at the end handed over, sealed. He” 40 likes
“Loss of reputation and the regard of our fellow persons is in any society, from Iceland to Malaysia, a terrible blow to the spirit. It is worse than being penniless and more cutting than the blades of enemies.” 19 likes