Start by marking “Rabbit: The Autobiography of Ms. Pat” as Want to Read:
Rabbit: The Autobiography of Ms. Pat

Rabbit: The Autobiography of Ms. Pat

You want to know about the struggle of growing up poor, black and female? Ask any girl from any hood. You want to know what it takes to rise above your circumstances when all the cards are stacked against you? Ask me.

Comedian Patricia Williams, who for years went by her street-name "Rabbit," was born and raised in Atlanta’s most troubled neighborhood at the height of the c
Published August 22nd 2017 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit, please sign up.
Suzy A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown, she's not from New York but it's a crazy yet inspiring story! And not really related because we know how it ends,…moreA Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown, she's not from New York but it's a crazy yet inspiring story! And not really related because we know how it ends, but Kevin Hart's book touches on his life in Philly and how he lived before breaking into comedy. It was a funny (of course) and interesting read!(less)
Rachel Loved / hated it. Miss Pat had such a difficult and rough childhood, with no parental support, yet she tells her story in such a funny way that you…moreLoved / hated it. Miss Pat had such a difficult and rough childhood, with no parental support, yet she tells her story in such a funny way that you cannot help but laugh. I hated reading about the terrible things that happened to her as a child but LOVED her and her story.(less)

Will Byrnes
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
“Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.”
– Maya Angelou
This is the epigraph for Rabbit, and it seems particularly germane. Of course, unspoken is the damage life does to you before you learn how to fight back.

Rabbit is the nickname Patricia Williams was given as a kid, after she was seen sitting on a porch eating a carrot. The porch in question, where she lived, at her grandfather’s house/24-7-bar/distillery, was not long for this world. When a woman he was paying to have sex wit
Erin
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2017
If I didn't know people that lived lives like Ms. Pat described, I would think that this book was made up. I had never heard of Ms. Pat, I didn't know who she was or why she would have written a book. It turns out she's a standup comedian, actress, and writer.

Who knew?

She's kind of a big deal!

Ms. Pat grew up in Atlanta in the 1980's. Crack was taking a wrecking ball to black communities all over America. A war was declared on drugs(Haha!) Also there was a "serial killer" (if you believe the po
Elyse Walters
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook...read by the author, Patricia Williams

A true story that’s sad with a happy ending by a terrific natural storyteller!

Some specific details...Patricia shares are so phenomenal and so inspiring...that to not feel at least a little empowered ourselves in our own lives would be a missed opportunity. It’s sooooo True... we are never too old to make a major life change!!!

Excellent Audiobook!

Thank you Erin! I’m lacking sleep - but once I read your review yesterday, and got a copy myself....
Peter Monn
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book I’ve read in 2018. Honest, hilarious, vulnerable & tragic. Absolutely beautiful. My full review will be up on my booktube channel at http://Youtube.com/peterlikesbooks
Lauren Cecile
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great "as-told-to" autobiography by a woman who lived a horrific childhood and led a very dysfunctional lifestyle in Atlanta during the 1980s until she met her significant other who influenced her to change.
This young lady became a prominent stand-up comic and her story is motivational for anyone looking to transcend their circumstances.
This book is poignant as well as humorous and I read many parts with my mouth wide open in shock. However despite the abusive, callous mother, the ab
Katie B
I'll admit I did not know anything about Patricia Williams prior to reading this book. However, some of the best memoirs I have read have come from people I was not familiar with beforehand, and I definitely place this book in that category. Her life is full of heartbreaking moments, but yet it still manages to be an uplifting story. She is a perfect example of someone who is a "doer", a person who just knows how to get things done, no matter how many obstacles are in her way. Yes, she might hav ...more
Eris
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How do you "review" the story of someone's life? Unlike some memoirs, this is not full of whiny "pity me" diatribes even though the life she lived is full of moments no one should have to experience. She tells her story in a straight-forward way, managing to inject a touch of humor in places where it would be impossible for most to find anything funny. She owns her life, from the moments inflicted upon her to the choices she made for herself.

This is not an easy book to read, but once you start,
Rachel
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Brightly Shining Hopeful Stars

I cannot decide whether this memoir made me want to laugh or want to cry more often.

SUMMARY
Right up front Miss Pat a.k.a. “Rabbit” tells us that most people think they understand what it is to be poor but they have no idea. I think she is 100% right about that. There were so many things in this book that shocked me. This is the story of a woman who was the fifth and youngest child in a family being raised by a single teenage mom. Miss Pat grew up in “the hood,” in
MissFabularian
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I kept seeing this book on my Goodreads timeline. Since the people I follow on Goodreads have excellent taste in books, I decided to read this one, and it did not disappoint. To read the rest of this review and to see an interview featuring Ms. Pat on 98 Rock Baltimore CLICK HERE.
Ta'Quanna
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Last week on my way to work I caught Ms. Pat on the Rickey Smiley show. I was laughing my butt off. I went and purchased the book on my kindle the same day. And I laughed and cried. And for her to make a living out of telling her story. Is something I wanted to contribute to. Hope to see and hear more from Ms. Pat in the future. 👏👏
Tania
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The struggle nobody talks about is what it feels like to be invisible, or to know in your heart that nobody cares.

I always find it difficult to rate memoirs, as I don't think I can "rate" anyone's life, but this is about rating my reading experience. At first I thought I may not be able to finish this book as it is very much an in your face experience, and I was wondering if the author was trying to shock us with some of the sex talk and profanity, but I then realized this is the way it was, so
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
This is going on my favorites list as the best of 2017. I laughed and I cried. I cried a lot of tears of joy and pain for this author’s story. One good thing about Ms. Pat is that she really does know how to make me laugh. She grew up in the heart of the crack epidemic of the 1980’s in Atlanta and I learned much much more from this book than was on the news. She has heart and courage and I applaud her honesty while expressing her feelings and showing the readers how vulnerable little Black girls ...more
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Great autobiography read by the author. She unflinchingly recounts her struggles growing up poor in Georgia - pregnant at 13, alcoholic mother, abused by her boyfriend, never finishing high school, etc. It’s amazing the challenges people in different life situations can face. She doesn’t try to excuse any of her bad or illegal behavior, instead she recognizes the people who helped her to be better and find a better way.
Samantha
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the Audible version of Rabbit: A Memoir by Patricia Williams!

I always like to give autobiography/memoir authors a huge round of applause for taking the time to perform the narration of their book. As an AUDIBLE book listener, the experience of a book automatically becomes more than learning the writer’s voice through reading words. The experience is heightened by listening to the narrator‘s tones/inflections in their actual voice. When an actor is hired to do this, it kills the e
Betty
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ga-hi-id-il-in
Jeanette
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Ghetto and crack for sale block detail and extremes of every horrific nature for the first 2/3rds of this book.

Patricia is honest and tells this in the language of her original illegal saloon home. And continues in like manner throughout the years up until she is the block organizer and procurer/controller for the local crack sales centered in front of the laundromat.

Her spirit comes through and she is brave to tell some of the minutia she has experienced within the years from 13 to 20. Those y
Brian
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazingly powerful read and one that I will not forget anytime soon. In this memoir, we meet Patricia "Rabbit" Williams who grew up living in poverty. She gets pregnant while in middle school and has to deal with a mother with substance abuse issues, a cheating boyfriend as well as some rather unsavory jobs including dealing crack. The most remarkable part of this story is that it is both tragically sad but written in a hysterical manner as well. The author never once asks you to fee ...more
YupIReadIt
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the fucked up part..... as bad as her life was I just kept thinking it could have been so much worse!
Mehrsa
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, honest, hilarious, and tragic memoir. I loved reading it and I keep thinking about her life. I wish there were more voices like this out there. If I have to read another memoir about some rich person struggling with depression as if they are the first person ever to do so, I might kill myself. Why don't I just stop reading them? Well, I guess I am addicted to memoirs. I just want more like this one.
lit.erary.britt
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book ripped my damned heart out. No one deserves the upbringing Ms. Pat had. It didn’t set her up for a good life. It was endearing to listen to her speak so candidly. It takes so much courage to put yourself out there; the good and the bad. She’s been through some shit, then some more shit, then even more. You get the idea. But you see where she is now. She has a big heart and you can’t help but love her.
Kris Dickinson
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written memoir. This describes the life of the author growing up in a very drug and crime infested area. She had 2 children by the time she was 15, was dealing crack and had been shot twice before she was 20. Through out her life, she tried to rise above, at separate times raising 2 of her sisters children along with her own 4, getting her GED and going to school in order to better herself. Her memoir shows that it doesnt matter where you come from, its where youre going and how you choose ...more
Kate
Brutally honest, heartbreaking and often hilarious because Ms. Pat packs no punches in her memoir. Her journey from preteen mom, to drug dealer, to stand up comic is inspiring and raw. I am so glad I get to see her at Funny Bone this weekend (and selling her books)! I wonder if she'll be wearing a pair of kick leather boots?
Judy Ohhh
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.8 stars!

I really enjoyed this autobiography! It was raw, it was funny, it was motivational! I loved reading about all that Ms.Pat aka Rabbit went through and how she got to where she was. Throughout her story it was like God showed up at the pinnacle moments where she was ready to give up. He came in the form of her school teacher, her jail mates, her husband and her caseworker. Rabbit was truly a wonderful person, who just was in a shitty environment. but she didn't let her environment make h
Ann
Ms. Pat's candid retelling of her abusive childhood, horrific teen pregnancies, and prison time is a bit rough around the edges in terms of writing, but that's what made it special to me. She is clearly telling her own story (and does actually narrate the audiobook), and doesn't spare the details. It's easy for me, as a fairly liberal white woman, to have an ephemeral concept of the socioeconomic struggles I want to fix, but I don't think I or most of my peers have any concept of what it actuall ...more
Sharon
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, memoirs-biogs
This brutally honest memoir begins with the five-year-old Rabbit living at her grandfather's home from which he runs an illegal liquor house. Rabbit regularly has to navigate her way through a living room floor full of drunken bodies, but life with her grandfather, as Ms Pat reminisces, 'were the best times'. Then 'Miss Betty' demands a drink during grandfather's favourite television show and he shoots her for the interruption. Life changes 'for the worse' after he is jailed for the shooting.

Mil
Julie
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A life full of extreme hardships told in a way that is incredibly funny. Raised in Atlanta in the 1980s amidst drugs, poverty, and guns, the author has a way of exposing true pain and gumption through the lens of humor and simply remarkable anecdotes. I listened to the audio book narrated by the author, and that adds a lot to the book (warning: headphones required!)
Ann
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-giveaways
To be honest, I have never heard of the comedian Ms Pat. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read her memoir. This is a very raw account of her life growing up in the"hood". She suffered poverty, physical, sexual, mental abuse, dealings with selling drugs, just an overall rough life she had. I finished this book in 2 hours, I did not want to put it down.

***Content warning*** Language and sexual themes (shows her life as it was, which to omit these things would not do the book justice). U
J Beckett
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A vivid, sometimes heartbreaking view of living in poverty, being misdirected and misguided and the triumph of rising above it. Rabbit, The Autobiography of Ms. Pat, will make you sigh, weep, question, and laugh until you sides hurt.

This book was an unexpected bowling ball and a sharp strike at a reality that so few can actually say that they relate, fully. Amazing book complex in its simplicity.

More to come...
Sharlene
I hadn't a clue who Ms Pat was before I borrowed this audiobook (turns out she's a comedian) but there was something compelling about the way she unflinchingly tells her life story - teenaged pregnancy, life in the ghetto, drug dealing, an abusive relationship. Despite all this, she doesn't give excuses, she doesn't lay blame, and instead appreciates those who have shown her the way, to reach further, to dream.
Ashley
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 04-star, 2018, library
our year of readi...: our second book 1 11 Nov 24, 2017 08:14AM
  • Written by Herself: Autobiographies of American Women: An Anthology
  • A Childhood: The Biography of a Place
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • The Black Girl Next Door: A Memoir
  • Ralph Ellison: A Biography
  • An Owl on Every Post
  • Tara Revisited: Women, War, & the Plantation Legend
  • Diary of a Madman: The Geto Boys, Life, Death, and the Roots of Southern Rap
  • Raising Cubby: A Father and Son's Adventures with Asperger's, Trains, Tractors, and High Explosives
  • The Last of the Live Nude Girls: A Memoir
  • Growgirl
  • Believe: My Faith and the Tackle That Changed My Life
“I knew from experience that next to jail the place with the highest concentration of trifling bitches was elementary school.” 6 likes
“I was a grown woman before I found out black folks aren’t the only ones who have hard times. Everybody’s got a struggle. Nobody gets through this life easy.” 3 likes