Start by marking “Worm Loves Worm” as Want to Read:
Worm Loves Worm

Worm Loves Worm

Perfect for fans of And Tango Makes Three and The Sissy Duckling, this irresistible picture book is a celebration of love in all its splendid forms from debut author J. J. Austrian and the acclaimed author-illustrator of Little Elliot, Big City, Mike Curato.

You are cordially invited to celebrate the wedding of a worm . . . and a worm.

When a worm meets a special worm and th
Published January 5th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Worm Loves Worm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worm Loves Worm

Start your review of Worm Loves Worm
Caitlyn
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one took me by surprise. Sweet and simple, it manages to discuss gender, sexuality and "changing the way things have always been done" in a way that felt entirely natural to me.
Henry Herz
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two worms in love decide to marry. But it's never that simple. Cricket offers to officiate, because “That's how it's always been done.” One after another, other helpful bugs suggest nuptial enhancements. Beetle wants to be best man. Bees offer to be bridesmaids. A series of wedding traditions are presented and accommodated by the flexible worms. When it comes to wedding garb, the worms are especially flexible. Given their hermaphroditic nature, either worm can be the bride or groom. So, each wea ...more
Lesley Burnap
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What took us so long? A beautiful, wormy story! ❤️❤️
Meredith
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mock-caldecott
So I think there was a message here, and maybe it could be a kind of cute wedding present for a gay couple, but as a kids' book, it's not working for me. If it's ok for anyone to be the bride or the groom, why do they still have to follow all the other dumb traditions? Why can't they have dirt to eat and cowboy hats to wear? Ugh, I hate the wedding industry!
Mary Lee
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: characters, lgbtqia, 2016
So much fun! All the insects pile on to make sure that Worm and Worm have a wedding "the way it's always been done." But when the spider goes to put the veil on the bride, both Worm and Worm explain that they can be the bride. Same with being the groom. And as for their wedding, "...we'll just have to change how it's done," says Worm. The wedding turned out just fine, because Worm loves Worm.

Huzzah.
Jasmine
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Worm and worm just want to get married, because they love each other, but everyone keeps insisting on STUFF. Cake, and veil, and dancing, and best beetle— will they ever get to just be married and celebrate?
Barb Middleton
I read this aloud and realized on the surface its about marriage, but it also reflects same-sex marriage and could apply to either males or females. It is age appropriate and good for younger kids.
Sisi
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two worms who love each other and want to get married. Their friends want to help them out by being a part of the wedding party, "like how it is usually done." However, both worms realized that neither one of them can be the groom or bride and both of them can be either the groom or bride. So, they were able to get married but not "like how it is usually done." It contains themes of love and acceptance. It's a good way to introduce students to different family structures.
Linda
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worm Loves Worm tells the tale of two worms who fall in love and want to get married. Simple? It seems that it should be, until others add their own ideas of "how" to marry. Cricket decides they need someone to marry them, and that it will be him. Then Beetle insists there must be a "Best Beetle", and the bees shout that they can be "Best Bees". Each time, the worms agree, and ask, "Now, Can we be married?" You can imagine how this continues on. These two worms are so agreeable; they love each o ...more
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: read-with-kids, lgbtq
I love this book. It is always good for conversation with the kids and always interesting to see how they react. It warms my heart to see accepting and open reactions towards things that are normally considered "gender specific."
Destinee Sutton
I thought this was going to be a book about how silly weddings are. But it's actually a book about love without labels. Worm and Worm are each both bride and groom. The final illustration is just amazing and beautiful. Dest loves Worm Loves Worm book.
Abigail
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, picture-books
When Worm falls in love with Worm, the next step is marriage. But the course of lumbricine love never did run smooth, and our two earth-burrowing heroes (heroines?) find that their friends and acquaintances have a number of preconceived notions about how marriage ceremonies ought to work. From Cricket, who informs them that someone (perhaps himself?) needs to marry them, to Beetle and the Bees, who offer to be the best man and 'bridesbees,' respectively, all the other creatures chime in with sug ...more
Lindsey
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just perfect. “And so they were married because Worm loves Worm.”
Deborah
So sweet, its message delivered with the lightest touch. :)
Nay Keppler
thought it would be gayer
Tasha
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two worms have fallen in love and decide to get married. They get lots of advice from other insects. Cricket offers to marry them. Beetle insists on being the "best beetle." The Bees want to be the bride's bees. Cricket tells them that they need rings for their fingers, but they don't have fingers so they wear the rings as belts. There has to be a band and a dance even though the worms don't dance, they just wiggle. Then come the clothes and the cake. But which worm is the bride and which is the ...more
Mehsi
Well, this one sounded cuter, and much more fun, than it actually was. :(

I was really looking forward to this one, a wedding between worms? Yes, yes please! But instead of a fun wedding all we got were 2 worms who were being pushed left and right by all kinds of insects who apparently thought they were oh so smart.

It frankly just got annoying. I just wished the worms would shout something like, screw this, we will marry the way we want to marry. :| They finally do protest, but sorry, that at th
Danni Green
This book is fabulous! I read it over and over before returning it to the library. It is a sweet illustrated children's book about a worm who marries another worm. Their friends have certain ideas about wedding traditions, but the worms are very clear about how they want their wedding to be and how their friends can support them in creating that experience, and ultimately the most important thing is that they love each other and their community is there for them. How perfect is that? I want to h ...more
Sarah Ahiers
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worm loves worm.
They decide to be married. But one of them must be the groom and one must be the bride because that's the way it's always been done, right? But maybe this time, they can just change how things have always been done.

This picture book is delightful. It's sparse and lovely and a wonderful tool to simply explain marriage equality. A great addition to any collection.
Jo
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worm Loves Worm is a simple, cute book about two worms who want to get married. Worm and Worm want to marry because they love each other, and when their friends try to make things more complicated than they should be by introducing traditional wedding ideals like the need for a bride and a groom, they decide that the way things have always been done is not always the right way.
Tina
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one is super cute. The worms are pulled into all the frippery of a wedding by their friends, when all they want is each other. Asexual fun and some very interesting friends (I don't trust that spider guy!) make this adorable.
Scott
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This picture book is about gender non-binary love, but it seemed to be more about the deplorable commercialism of the wedding industry.

Cute, but the whole time I was hoping something would cut the worms in half so they could be polyamorous.
Julie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I adore this book. And my 5-year-old loves it so much she has been sleeping with it.
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is the perfect treat for Valentine's Day! It is a delightful book about how love can arrive in all different forms and so can marriage!
Jillian Heise
Love prevails. Who says we have to do things the way others say or the way they've always been done?
Beth
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love is love is love whether you're a bride and groom, groom and groom, bride and bride, or all of the above.
Amy
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GAHHH!! LOVE!!! <3 ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Good morning, how are you? I'm Dr. Worm. I'm interested in things.

It obviously has a very LGBT-friendly message to it, but the bigger message can be generalized to a lot of things.

There are two worms, apparently earthworms. It doesn't even mention that scientifically earthworms are hermaphroditic, it's clear that they don't have a set gender, as opposed to the cricket and the beetle who are male, and the bees that are presumably female (although it doesn't say). The worms are both named "Worm" s
Kate
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, age-childrens, 2020
I picked this up because the illustrator will be at the NESCBWI conference this year, and I wanted to read at least one book by each keynote speaker. In this story, two worms want to get married, and all their insect friends want to help, but they have very traditional ideas of what weddings are, and the worms are anything but traditional. The metaphor here was very cute and could apply to more than just LGBTQ couples.

I knew within the first 2 pages what kind of story this was going to be - aft
Chandler Jordahl
This is a cute book about two worms who love each other and want to get married. Unfortunately various insect friends keep interrupting them and telling them that they need to do another task before they can get married. All of these things are "how it has always been done". At the end of the book the worms come to learn that they may have to change the way things are done in order to be able to love and have a wedding the way that they wanted. A great story to spark discussions about being who ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »