Start by marking “The Skeleton Inside You” as Want to Read:
The Skeleton Inside You

The Skeleton Inside You

(Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

Your skeleton helps you leap, somersault, and touch your toes—without it, you would be as floppy as a beanbag! There are over 200 bones living and growing inside you that make up your skeleton. There are also ligaments and joints that hold your bones together, and cartilage in your bendable parts like your ears and your nose. Read and find out all about what a skeleton can ...more
Published February 2nd 2016 by HarperCollins (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Skeleton Inside You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skeleton Inside You

Start your review of The Skeleton Inside You
♡AbbyBooks♡
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
I remember reading this books my mom use to have with her other books of children books (: never forget it (: it was a good book as a kid
Shannon
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fellow meat trees
Shelves: chidderbooks
This book does a pretty decent job of introducing the idea that we all are essentially skeletons covered in meat, and also filled with blood and stuff, and basically just piles of organic matter doing our best. Gave some good examples of things that aren't filled with skeletons, for example clay. You can smash a clay ball because it isn't filled with bones, fun fact! It's a cool first look into introducing existence preceding essence, Satre style, for those of us wishing to raise our children wi ...more
Robert
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
This is a pretty good book that explains the skeletal system. Straightforward with good analogies and examples. A child should be able to have a good handle on the skeleton after reading this.
Cara Noles
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Skeleton Inside You is a picture book and it explains why their are bone inside us. Their are 206 bones that make up our skeleton, without bones we couldn't stand up. The book also explains what cartilage and joints are without them we would not be able to move our bodies like we do. Their are picture that explain what inside our bones look like and what happens if we break on of our bones.

I enjoyed this book because it is very educational and children can benefit from reading this book. I
Chloe DeRocker
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
1. Awards the book has received: none

2. Appropriate grade levels: Pre-K through 2nd Grade

3. Original Summary: Want to know what holds you all together? "The Skeleton Inside You" looks at you from the inside out. Get ready to learn all about your bones and what they help you do!

4. Original Review: "The Skeleton Inside You" is an age-appropriate book for children learning about their bones and what they do. The language helps the subject not come off as scary even though skeletons might be frighte
Anthony Minieri
Informational Text
Awards: N/A
Appropriate Grade Levels: k-5
Summary: The Skeleton Inside You is all about the body--the main theme of course being the skeleton. This book gives children insight about their skeleton by using multiple comparisons and examples. Bones are labeled and even muscle tissue is discussed in this informative book for young readers.
Review: Skeletons have always been a huge interest of mine so I was able to gravitate towards this text very easily. The books is easy to follow a
Dominique Giordano
The Skeleton Inside You is on my favorite list because of the reliability of the text was and how exciting the learning was. Being an informational text, it contained information about your skeleton and went through lots of different details from the how many bones the body has to the bones uses in different parts of the body to what is inside the bone. Designed for K-2, It can be enjoyed as a whole class read aloud. I can imagine the students being fascinated by the information.

In the reading c
Michael Fitzgerald
Plenty of information on bones, cartilage, marrow, joints, ligaments, etc. presented in a straightforward manner. Illustrations are okay; not great.
Lumi / Otso
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the 7 year old loved this
Jen Rothmeyer
This book by Balestrino is very informative for its target age. It covers and explains, in simplistic language any child should be able to understand, the concepts that the skeleton is a framework, there are 206 bones with many in the hands and arms, there are different sizes and shapes, the difference between bone and cartilage, bones can break and heal, bones grow, calcium helps bones, the inside of a bone looks different than the outside and the inside stores calcium, bone marrow helps make r ...more
Katie Foster
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very informative book! It was written in a way that captured and kept my interest. There were lots of facts about the human skeleton. The author also compared the human skeleton to other things, like a plain wooden chair (as the bones) and then the plain wooden chair with stuffing and cloth on it (as the human). It also compares what our body would be like WITHOUT a skeleton (a ball of clay that you can mold into any shape you want). It talks about the importance of joints and ligamen ...more
Kelli
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to a 7 year who loved it! It prompted lots of great questioning and connections about how we move and our bodies in an accessible manner. Lots of colorful illustrations and diagrams help provide deeper understanding of vocabulary like joints, ligaments, and cartilage. Great classroom book or read aloud!
Lisa
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a science book and talks about skeletons and what would happen to a person if they did not have a skeleton inside their body! You could easily tie this in with a science lesson in the beginning school years.
Ethan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the illustrations were pretty good, but the writing was sub-par, even for kids science. Also, bone is not the same thing as cartilage.
Elanor
Independent
Shunta
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anatomny
book about bones, xrays, and the body. Would use during science in upper grades.
Hailey Dellinger
This is a children’s book that is about a child’s Halloween skeleton costume. This is a great fun way to incorporate the skeletal system into the classroom.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 13824 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Kim Hoerr
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read around Halloween! Wonderful informational book about our bones. It flows well with reading Dem Bones and talking about health.
Chelsea Kimmey
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book has a lot of vocabulary words that are used when learning about the bones in the body. It could introduce the words in a way where the children can understand.
Amber
1 copy available
Kelly
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 3 year old likes to be read this book and he seems to understand the information as it is presented.
Jessica
Informative an interesting for young kids
David
Apr 15, 2018
Christine Turner
ATA Wonder Kit - You,
HCPL Juv Nonfiction 611.71 Bal

Note: I am not fond of the style of these illustrations, but they are well thought out and add to the learning experience. The text by Philip Balestrino and the illustrations were vetted for accuracy by an expert in the field. This book would pair well with the other books that we have chosen for the You kit.

Your skeleton helps you leap, somersault, and touch your toes--without it, you would be as floppy as a beanbag! There are over 200 bones
Kari

• A Quiet Place
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • Winter Is Here
  • Ten Little Mummies
  • I Was So Mad (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Hallowilloween: Nefarious Silliness from Calef Brown
  • Fall Weather: Cooler Temperatures
  • A Halloween Scare in Wisconsin: Prepare If You Dare
  • The Rainbow Fish

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 90 books)
  • Your Skin and Mine
  • Digging Up Dinosaurs
  • Dinosaurs Are Different
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • Dinosaur Bones
  • What Happened to the Dinosaurs?

News & Interviews