Start by marking “Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead” as Want to Read:
Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead

Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead

In the spirit of Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope and Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride comes an inspiring portrait of Hillary Rodham Clinton: a girl who fought to make a difference—and paved the way for women everywhere—from Michelle Markel and LeUyen Pham.

In the 1950s, it was a man’s world. Girls weren’t supposed to act smart, tough, or ambitious. Even though,
Published January 5th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
From the very beginning, this book has major problems. The first page is a mess and it only goes downhill from there. In talking about the 1950's, it says "only boys had no ceilings on their dreams". EXCUSE ME? I think the black people who couldn't vote or drink from white water fountains might have something to say about that. That is just so.... inaccurate, terrible, and white feminism at its worst. Then later one of the illustrations shows her arguing against a black man against the war in Vi ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Great introduction to a very important political figure in US history. No matter how you feel about HRC she has had an impact on US policy. Young children will get a very good overview of her life from this book.
Joanna
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An inspiring portrait of Hillary Rodham Clinton from her childhood through her tenure as the United States Secretary of State. This biography showcases the Democratic Presidential Nominee’s barrier-breaking accomplishments and touches on the many challenges she faced along the way.

Reasons I love it:
1. It is boldly in favor of Hillary Clinton as a person, a woman, a politician and an advocate for change. It outlines her life through the lens of a woman challenging assumptions and pushing down ba
Kara
Whether you want Hillary to be president or not, there's no denying she's already led a notable life. This picture book biography captures her accomplishments, drive and tenacity in the face of gender barriers and public criticism.
I agree with School Library Journal that "Pham's evocative illustrations steal the show." The water color images open with a sepia-toned spread of famous men of the 1950s, with child Hillary, hands on her hips, as the only splash of color. Subsequent scenes reflect th
Donalyn
While there are several picture books about Hillary Clinton, I think this one is the best. LeUyen Pham's illustrations are outstanding and I appreciated how she wove images of notable women from history throughout the story.
Betsy
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
5 stars for illustration; 3 for text.

First reviewed on Literaritea

What It Is: A picture book biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton

What It’s About: Ostensibly a picture book biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton, this book is championing all the noteworthy things Hillary’s accomplished as a girl/woman. Attention is given to Hillary’s childhood, adolescence, college, and professional life.

What Works: The illustrations are *amazing.* Pham did serious research and peoples the backgrounds with key histor
Agnė
Pham's illustrations are great: beautiful, clever, and very well-researched (as evident from an extensive artist's note at the end of the book).

But although Markel's text offers a VERY inspiring introduction to Hillary Clinton's life achievements, it is so cheerful that occasionally it sounds a little bit too much like propaganda to me. Maybe a better balanced perspective would help?

Finally (and most importantly), this picturebook is undeniably feminist, but the feminism in it is very white and
Kellee
Reviewed at http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=9874

Alyson Beecher shared with me that Pham did a tremendous amount of research for this book though she had no issues researching because Hillary is so fact-checked. I think the idea of how much research LeUyen did for this book is fascinating and is also evident in the book. I am also a huge fan of Pham’s illustrations (she does Princess in Black also), and it was so much fun to see Hillary being represented so brightly. I loved learning about Hi
Katie
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have a lot of mixed feelings. The illustrations were great. Two thumbs up. I guess my two biggest problems were the assertion that any male could do whatever he wanted in the 1950s, and the picture includes black men. I mean, there were black men who were able to overcome obstacles and achieve greatness at that time, but my goodness. Asserting that they could do whatever they wanted in the 50s, and only women were oppressed? Ick. My other problem is that for a book that wants so badly to show ...more
Elisabeth
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember my dad saying in 1992, during Bill Clinton's election "I wonder why Hillary isn't running instead." This simple statement really made an impression on 14 year old me and has stuck with me throughout the years, especially as I learned more about her amazing accomplishments. The wonderful illustrations bring her story to life in a very accessible way.
Emily
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The most adorable propaganda picture book. Very cute illustrations but the message is a little heavy handed. The point she wants to make is that it shouldn't be remarkable that a woman can accomplish what she has accomplished but the whole book is about how remarkable Hillary Clinton is.
Pauline
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bittersweet to read this one tonight...so many accomplishments. So many obstacles. Critiques at every turn. This definitely teaches the importance of resilience, tenacity, and strength. PLUS, the illustrations are gorgeous and meticulously include other historical figures!
Mary Lee
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whatever your politics, you can agree that Hillary Clinton is an amazing woman.

LeUyen Pham's illustrations are AMAZING. The amount of research and detail...wow.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really loved this pb biography. After hearing LeUyen Pham the illustrator talk about her research and knowing Markle's work, I knew I would love it.
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrator really did a fantastic job.
Christine
My 7-year-old daughter found this book at the library and enjoyed it (minus the illustrations). Although I was a Hillary voter in the general election, this book seemed to me to have an undue pro-Hillary slant without actually having the effect of humanizing her or leaving me especially impressed by her accomplishments.

I'm a bit surprised that in includes: "The two of them loved politics as much as they loved each other." Not surprised based on untruth but because it seems a bit jaded in book th
Ameya Warde
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
UGH. I read this to my 6 year old, and for him, it was mostly all right. If I consider it a work of fiction, it's pretty good, though awkwardly and uncomfortably unwoke for a book very heavily trying to play up her solidarity with POC. I like him being able to see a strong woman who is fighting against constant gender discrimination, and to learn a bit about how politics work, so for that I give it an extra star.

But as the grown-up reading it, it was kind of painful. I've never read anything mor
Akilah
Hillary Clinton is a badass. Whether you like her politics or not, some facts cannot be denied. Also, this is a great, age-appropriate primer to class, race, and other justice issues.

The illustrations in this book are FANTASTIC. They are gorgeous and so well-detailed and amazing. Really, they made this book. I need to seek out more of Pham's work because I also enjoyed her art in Grace for President.
Tracy
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a well researched children's biography of Hillary Clinton's life to share with your children, especially girls to show them that they can aspire to be anything they want to be in life. The illustrations are amazing! There is a timeline of Hillary's history. There is a page of 32 well-known personalities of the 1950s and 38 well-known women that your child can guess whose who that will lead to more learning about history.
Gary Anderson
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although a little too gushy, SOME GIRLS ARE BORN TO LEAD makes the important point that Hillary Rodham Clinton has spent a lifetime challenging expectations and assumptions about the roles of girls and women in American society and beyond. This will also provide young readers with an overview of the main events of her life, beginning in Park Ridge, Illinois, two train stops down the line from where I live.
Courtney
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scarlett
Illustrated so wonderfully but even more important is the message it I stil a for young girls. As a librarian and a mom of a four year old I enjoyed every minute of reading this to my daughter and talking about all the big ideas. I don't think of it as a propaganda tool. And I know my daughter won't be voting this season. Although maybe one day I'll be voting for HER!
Anthony
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal gift to inspire your little girls.
Julie
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVE!!
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
really well-written
love the energy of the story and the art
Mary Anne
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The most adorable propaganda picture book.
Ana
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book isn't perfect. Although I'm tremendously glad it exists and is available for littles to learn about both the obstacles overcome and the accomplishments earned by the hardworking Hillary Clinton, the text makes some statements/generalizations that aren't inclusive or mindful of the struggles encountered by minorities and people of color in that period of American history. It would've been good to've seen the author pay the same degree of careful attention/consideration to the wr ...more
Elaine
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Inspiring, but somehow too much positivity.
Nikki
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love books about women who followed their dreams and achieved great things. They set a good example for my daughter.
Barbara
Perhaps the appeal of this picture book is slightly diminished by the fact that the 2016 Presidential campaign has finally concluded, and Hillary Clinton will not be assuming office as the first female president in the nation's history. Still, while that fact might make the book less appealing, I enjoyed it because of the way it explores Clinton's early years and her involvement in campus and later, national, politics. As a girl born in the 1950s, I can certainly attest to the changes that have ...more
Britt
I had high hopes for this, and it did not disappoint. In fact, it made me more determined to do more and I hope it inspires other readers, young and old, similarly.
Great art, too.

• Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala
  • Queen of the Diamond: The Lizzie Murphy Story
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark
  • Growing Up Pedro: How the Martinez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues
  • Gordon Parks: How the Photographer Captured Black and White America
  • Lighter Than Air: Sophie Blanchard, the First Woman Pilot
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • Nothing Stopped Sophie: The Story of Unshakable Mathematician Sophie Germain
Michelle Markel has written several notable nonfiction picture books, including the The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau, (PEN Picture Book Writing Award) Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers’ Strike of 1909 (Jane Addams Flora Stieglitz Award; Orbis Pictus Honor) and Tyrannosaurus Math (Cooperative Children’s Book Center Choice). Her upcoming title is Balderdash: John Newbery and the Boi ...more