Start by marking “Hi, Anxiety: Life With a Bad Case of Nerves” as Want to Read:
Hi, Anxiety: Life With a Bad Case of Nerves

Hi, Anxiety: Life With a Bad Case of Nerves

Joining the ranks of such acclaimed accounts as Manic, Brain on Fire, and Monkey Mind, a deeply personal, funny, and sometimes painful look at anxiety and its impact from writer and commentator Kat Kinsman.

Feeling anxious? Can’t sleep because your brain won’t stop recycling thoughts? Unable to make a decision because you're too afraid you’ll make the wrong one? You’re not
Published November 15th 2016 by Dey Street Books (first published April 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, Anxiety

Book Riot Community
Kinsman discusses her lifelong battle with depression and anxiety and explains why she believes people shouldn’t be afraid to come forward and get the help they need. A very brave and wonderful memoir, infused with a lot of humor and heart. She does a wonderful job bringing humor to a hard situation.

Backlist bump: Agorafabulous!: Dispatches from My Bedroom by Sara Benincasa

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The Books: http://bookriot.com/listen/shows/allt...
Laurie Notaro
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kat Kinsman is my twin, so I naturally feel sorry for her. Funny, wry, sometimes brutal memoir about life riddled with anxiety. I related far too much than I thought I would!!
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hi, Anxiety is a masterfully written memoir that takes readers deep inside the experiences Kinsman has had living with the title ailment. She does an excellent job at vividly showing both the long-term effects anxiety has had on her life, in ways big and small, as well as how she's coped with it. Because so much of mental illness is invisible, this is a vital book in helping those who have no idea what anxiety is like to understand its real, powerful consequences, and Kinsman never flinches from ...more
Kimberly
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book. Wow.

I've joked about being agoraphobic in the past, and this book made me realize: Oh hey, that's not really a joke, and also, you are definitely agoraphobic.

This book made me realize that I was more anxious than I thought I was, and that I've been carrying it with me for my entire life. That this weight on my shoulders might not just be "the way it is" and instead it's "the way it is... with crippling, life-altering anxiety."

I related to Kat Kinsman's life and her experiences more
Ruthi
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who let someone write my biography without my permission????

JK but really tho as someone with intense anxiety issues I found so much of this book relatable. Some of Kat's deepest fear chapters gave me secondhand anxiety :&!! She comes off as very warm and genuine; it feels like reading about a friend. A+ book would recommend to people with anxiety and people in general.
Rosamund
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some of the scenes from this were scarily familiar. Recommended for anyone with anxiety, or anyone trying to understand it.
Shana
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, nonfiction
Jenny Lawson's 'Furiously Happy' may have ruined me for all future memoirs about mental health issues. I not only deeply identified with some aspect of Lawson's depiction of her mental health issues, but I was incredibly entertained by her gift of story telling.

I also identified with some aspects of Kinsman experiences with anxiety. Unfortunately, I was just not entertained. It some parts of this book my anxiety was even triggered. This one was just not for me.
Kylie
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book touches on a lot of issues that I am quite familiar with. While my personal levels of anxiety differ from Kat's from situation (sometimes more, sometimes less), it's important to know that people have found ways to survive in this crazy, hectic, crowded world while dealing with the kind of thing I've been putting up with every day for as long as I can remember. The stories are both funny and sad, well presented, and heart-felt. This was an excellent read.
Sara Ganung
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked it. The author brings humor to something that is a scary thing. Suffering from anxiety and panic attacks myself, it was reassuring to read that I wasn't alone. Logically, I know I'm not the ONLY ONE but it's nice to read it. It's in print. It's there. And I'm not not alone.
Also! If I can figure out how to channel my inner Mistress Cherry, then I'll consider myself half as successful as she :) serious kudos to her!! #girlpower
Amber
Thank you for this book, Kat. Our experiences are not exactly the same (you have a lot more support than I do, amongst other things) but I saw myself represented in your book and it means a lot to me. 💕
Erika Provenzano
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a fan of this book. I found myself really working hard to pay attention and to actually finish it. The only reason why I am giving it 2 stars is because she has a good sense of humour, and there were funny moments. But other than that, I really didn't feel this was a book about anxiety. It had a few moments where she would talk about anxiety in some detail but then would tell us more random stories that I really didn't feel were relevant. I just felt the book didn't really connect its t ...more
Liz Overberg
Really well written. Sometimes relatable, and other times not. I found the chronology to be very confusing. Various stories, even within the same essay, jump around in time and space in ways that are difficult to follow.
Eric
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The work was well done, but the more I listened I was of a mind that an entire couple of generations have been medicated into their roles. Kinsman had many "first names" for the drugs of her various anxieties, and she seems not alone. I am quite sure that a significant number of sufferers are little more than the victims of pharmaceutical success in marketing. I am glad that Kinsman seems to have found her way through the maze, but wonder if some people with garden variety jitters about some big ...more
Sarah Carr
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Kat's book, so much so that I found myself folding down the corners of pages to share with my partner or with friends. The book is comprised of shorter chapters describing 10 of her fears (many of which I could relate to!) and other chapters that were based on her anxiety journey, both what she experienced as a child as well as how she coped with it as an adult. I find the format of many vignettes works well for these types of books. I also appreciated how strongly Kat's voice c ...more
Jeffrey
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. The author is pretty unlikable and seems rather judgemental of other people’s definitions of mental illness. Also, half of her chapters on her “irrational fears” really aren’t all that irrational - they seem more of her personal opinions and preferences towards certain things and, to me, it felt like the underlying theme was “I think I’m special because I have this ‘irrational’ fear.” I don’t recommend if you are looking for mental health memoirs.
Helena
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who also deals with anxiety, I found myself nodding as I read parts of this book. Others didn't resonate quite so much, as (thankfully) my anxiety has not hit the levels Kinsman deals with (in part, because I am lucky enough not to have encountered the bullying and sociopathic behavior from boyfriends that she dealt with--those would be enough to give anyone issues), but were still interesting to read. I applaud the author's courage--she doesn't prettify the effects of anxiety, but th ...more
Aimee
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This wasn't exactly what I thought it would be but it was still quite valuable. Be ready to be confronted with the true brokenness of anxiety and depression. It isn't pretty, but it is important. This big gave me the ability to truly empathize with those who struggle in this way and gave me greater awareness of why it should be discussed openly and not stigmatized.
Amy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
I bought this book after reading a small section that made me laugh. There were plenty of "uncomfortable, I understand this far too well" laughs throughout the book. Some parts were a little slow but I am assuming that is more because biographies aren't my favourite thing. Even the slow parts managed to pull back nicely into the point of the book. It may be a worthwhile book for someone without anxiety issues to read in order to have a better understanding of how an anxious person's thought proc ...more
Jenn Leininger
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’ve ever wonder what life is like with anxiety...read this.
Lynne Premo
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, medicine
This book was a tough read from the first pages, where her description of what she experiences as she prepares to leave for a trip hit way the hell close to home. So close to home that I asked my husband to read it, to give him some insight into what's happening inside my brain and the rest of my body when I insist that we leave 40 minutes early to catch the bus to the airport that is a 10-minute drive from our apartment.

I had grabbed this from the library in large part because of her nomenclat
Sunsettowers
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself

Kat Kinsman has been dealing with anxiety and depression in their myriad forms her whole life, from her mother's retreats to her silent bedroom, to her own fearful hidings under the bed covers. Now "out" about her anxiety, Kinsman is done hiding what she has always felt, and is sharing her story.

As someone who has been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiet
Kristine Mckenna
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kat has a tough life with anxiety. She is honest and raw. You want her to do so well. She is honest enough to really let you in and let you know that it just can't be fixed like waving a magic wand. Katy's life is not perfect and all the fears and anxiety don't vanish. She just figures out the best thing to do is stop hiding it. It helps to just be able to say, I suffer from anxiety, that's why I don't do this or that. She does this, and is still able to have a good life. All my best, keep going ...more
Jacquie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is more a biography of a person that I had never even heard of rather than a book about anxiety. The title seems to indicate more of an anxiety focus. Kinsman does touch on anxiety, but not in a way that would provide answers or coping strategies. It has some parts an overly anxious person can relate to. But if you are looking for more of an anxiety slant.....keep looking. (less)
Wendy
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I've been a fan of Kat Kinsman's food writing for years and this book was so achingly, honestly real it moved me to tears at points. I'm grateful she shared her story and hope it helps others. ❤❤❤ ...more
Jennifer Wiget
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
wow! okay everyone needs to read this!! this is such an important book that deals with an issue that is so widespread but not talked about. and it does talk about it in such a delicate, honest and funny way. just amazing!
Rhiannon
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thank you for making me feel okay with myself, Kat. Thank you for being brave enough to share.
Susan
Sep 11, 2016 added it
A beautiful book about a tough subject. It read as if you were talking to a friend...someone who wanted to help you through by telling you her story.
Jason Diamond
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The title says anxiety in it, but Kinsman really comes across as a caring friend to anybody who has ever suffered or felt different. Funny and moving, couldn't recommend this more.
Marisa
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really well written! Having gone through some of these struggles myself, the picture that Kat Kinsman paints for the reader is spot on. Obviously, anxiety is a different experience for each and every one of us, but it is a book that leaves the author vulnerable as she lets you in to her everyday struggles. Kinsman chooses her words carefully in order to make you feel what she does every minute of every day, which is why I couldn't seem to put the book down.

The reason thi
Bekah
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on Books Cats Tea

Right off the bat, the intro of Hi, Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks. I want offer a trigger warning for those with anxiety and depression. You may well have an episode while reading this. I did when I read the intro and while it may have triggered me and took me completely by surprise, it hit home how this book was going to be a valuable piece on sharing the realities of anxiety. However, be aware that Kinsman will (obviously) talk about her experiences and gets det
  • Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief: A Revolutionary Approach to Understanding and Healing the Impact of Loss
  • Land of Enchantment
  • Last Night, a Superhero Saved My Life: Neil Gaiman!! Jodi Picoult!! Brad Meltzer!! . . . and an All-Star Roster on the Caped Crusaders That Changed Their Lives
  • Sunday In The Park With Boys
  • Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words
  • Hiding in the Bathroom: An Introvert's Roadmap to Getting Out There (When You'd Rather Stay Home)
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • California Calling: A Self-Interrogation
  • I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
  • Born Anxious: The Lifelong Impact of Early Life Adversity and How to Break the Cycle
  • Notes from a Feminist Killjoy: Essays on Everyday Life
  • Get Over It!
  • On Balance
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • The Girls in My Town: Essays
  • The Slaves Have Names: Ancestors of My Home
  • Someone Like Me: How One Undocumented Girl Fought for Her American Dream
  • Crafting with Feminism: 25 Girl-Powered Projects to Smash the Patriarchy
Hi there! I'm Kat Kinsman, senior food and drinks editor at Time Inc.'s Extra Crispy, former editor in chief and editor at large of Tasting Table and a former writer and editor for CNN. After I published a personal essay on my struggles with anxiety, people came out of the woodwork to share their own experiences and it felt like the beginning of a conversation that needs to happen.

“If I’m not bracing for the next bad thing, how will I be ready when it comes?” 0 likes
“The next time someone asks me if I have heard of mindfulness, I am going to ask them to try a small exercise with me. We will face one another at arm’s length, stand still, and lower our eyelids. Then, when I am confident we have both done so, I will open mine, reach out, and flick them once, solidly, at the center of their forehead so they can be fully present for it. Yes, of course I have heard of mindfulness.” 0 likes