Start by marking “There's a Giraffe in My Soup” as Want to Read:
There's a Giraffe in My Soup

There's a Giraffe in My Soup

What if you found a giraffe in your soup, an alligator in your entreé, an elephant on the table, or even an ostrich in your dish?

In this debut picture book from author-illustrator Ross Burach, an assortment of hairy, scary animals pop out from under the lid at a restaurant!

Jam-packed with adorable illustrations and an assortment of animal puns, this kid-friendly story is s
Published February 23rd 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about There's a Giraffe in My Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Giraffe in My Soup

Polly Seplowitz
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun to read a loud to my daughter. She was mesmerized by the bold illustrations, and the dialogue between the boy and the waiter was really funny for kids and adults. Definitely moving this one into the daily rotation.
Vi (like the letter)
I really enjoyed reading it to the kids and I liked all the hilarious animal puns. I think the illustrations are very nice and kid-friendly. The animals were drawn in a whimsical way that is obviously very appealing to kids. As far as the story goes, it's very straightforward and is supposed to be humorous. The kid is just trying to get a good meal and he keeps getting served various animals by mistake. It's all pretty funny and we got a few good laughs out of it.
Erin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating this book purely on the fact that my 3 year old has requested to read this book no less than a dozen times in the 12 hours hours since we brought it home. My 5 year old happily joins in and they think it's hilarious.
Joanne Roberts
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was surprisingly fresh and funny. The author kept the story predictable, yet unexpected. Readers will see the drama progressing, but will laugh at the surprising consequences of each action. I loved the fulfilling resolution and the clever last page. Goofy art compliments the punny humor and rhyming word-play.
Alison
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
L absolutely loves this book. We’ve read it five times so far.
Carly Sanders
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received an advance copy and...I'm in love. My daughter is giddy every time I pull this one off the shelf now. The characters are ridiculously adorable, the read-a-loud is incredibly fun, and the illustrations are brilliant. Such a wonderfully quirky concept. Will definitely be coming back to this one again and again.
Bernie Gofstein
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical. The story and illustrations are clever, adorable and funny. Such a random unique book that was a simple joy to read. Still laughing as I write this.
Alex Melnick
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Dessert was the best!
Vivian
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is obviously based on the old joke, "waiter, there's a fly in my soup". Why would this be funny to kids? I can see that they would enjoy how ridiculous it is, but for me it was too much. The hilarious illustrations are what carries this (weak) story.

Even though my library story time theme this week was "Giraffes", I didn't use this book. I felt that it appeals to an older audience, say K-3.
Hannah
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Last one for today! The illustrations and storyline in this one are goofy, and my son cracked up with every new dish and animal! Plus, surprise ending! There was something missing from this for me that I still can't pinpoint, so I guess I'll leave it at that. 👍🏻It would make a really good storytime book, I think!
Sha Liyah
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrator of this book did a really good job. The graphics were very detailed and fit the story perfect. It was a silly, comedic story that young kids would find enjoyably funny. I liked it, there was a fun twist at the end.
Katherine Cowley
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
All my kids--2, 5, and 7--loved this book and wanted to read it again and again. They would also get excited and say things likes, "No, it's not a frog in your soup, it's an alligator!" Delightful illustrations accompany the text.
Viviane Elbee
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny book with animal puns - will appeal to older children who like puns.

It may also appeal to younger toddlers because it's a quick short read with colorful, amusing illustrations.

I don't know if there is much of a story, but it was still fun to read and the ending was great.
The Brothers
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young boy is at a fancy restaurant and he orders the soup. Unfortunately, even with the best efforts of the snooty waiter, a variety of zoo animals end up in his soup making it uneatable.

Cute illsutrations.
Brittany
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For a little girl that LOVES giraffes more than anything, this book is absolutely perfect. So many different animals make this story hilarious. The story and the illustrations are great! This makes a VERY fun read aloud!
Donna Mork
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Boy gets soup but there is a giraffe in it. The waiter brings another and another, and each time a different animal is in it. Then he orders dessert...the mousse of course. He leaves. The whale asks for a table.
Breanne
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Restaurant Zoo Mix Up! Very funny
kim
kids would find it funny
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great word play and animal silliness.
Kimterese
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
silly willy nilly kind of book.
Amber
Kind of ridiculous.
Claire
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
It was silly and fun. I liked that it had a lot of animals and I like animals.
Joy Lane
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It was OK. I shared it with co-workers and they also thought OK, but not special. I can see it being enjoyable if it is read aloud to a class and done with a lot of expression.
Natasha Hasham (Tasha Talks Books)
Such a cute book! My daughter and I giggled through the whole thing!
Debbie Smith
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
While I loved the illustrations, I really didn't care for the story.
rsfd
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. Used it for storytime. LOVED IT!
Julie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Very silly book with a vast array of animals in restaurant dishes. You see, there were delivery switches!

2018 storytime theme: soup

Reviewed from a library copy.
Cindy Steel
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stets-dass
My kiddos love this one.
Heather
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This will be fabulous for pre-k storytime!
  • Whoops!
  • Naked!
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • Click, Clack, Surprise!
  • How to Wash a Woolly Mammoth