Start by marking “All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook” as Want to Read:
All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook

All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  4,188 Ratings  ·  818 Reviews
Junior Library Guild Selection * Kids’ Indie Next List Pick

From Leslie Connor, award-winning author of Waiting for Normal and Crunch, comes a soaring and heartfelt story about love, forgiveness, and how innocence makes us all rise up. All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook is a powerful story, perfect for fans of Wonder and When You Reach Me.

Eleven-year-old Perry was bor
Published March 1st 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook

Emily Andrus
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Now this is what I like to see in a middle grade novel. Yes, there are tough issues and real world problems, but that doesn't mean it has to be depressing! Perry sees a lot of injustice, both in the formal legal sense and in his personal relationships. He gets angry, he gets sad. But he also fights, has hope, and builds off of the support he gets from some amazing friends (I love the characters in this book--the variety and strength in each is awesome.) The writing is excellent with s ...more
Short  Reviews
3 stars. I docked off 2 stars because the ending was a bit too abrupt for my liking... also, there was one particular loose end in the story that wasn't tied up in the end, but I'll get to that later.

'I want to have one more look at that map of the middle school before lockdown,' Mom says. She glances at the gray clock on the wall, and so do I. We have to pay attention to the time at Blue River. At nine p.m. I have to be in my bedroom next to the warden's office off the Upper East Lounge.

Mom ha
Cheryl
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extra character development, more showing and less telling, make this message-driven book both longer and richer, and more engaging, than most earnest MG fare. And what a concept! I could say lots more, but I'd rather you find the time to read it for yourself.

Btw, I do know someone who recently served time, and most of what is related here does seem plausible according to what my friend has told me.

And I never knew about making a 'worm' from the paper off a disposable straw before; I'll have to
Liza Fireman
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite MG book for the year. It is funny, sad, and much more. Most of all it is a really interesting book.

Perry lives in a jail, Blue River, a minimum-security facility. The warden allowed it, and he lives there since he was born. His mother is an inmate, that made a few mistakes. She was accused with manslaughter. She drove drunk, got into an accident and a man was killed.

The warden lives with the following belief: minimum security has always meant maximum potential. Our resident
Joyce Yattoni
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I was like nah.....not going to like this novel, it is too unrealistic. There is no way a child would be allowed to be raised in a minimum security prison. But, as the story developed, the author raised so many important issues and relationships that my original thinking was overtaken. I ❤ the protagonist Perry, who despite being bullied, handles himself with grace and pride. His bully is Brian Morris who grows out of being a bully. The author shows this by allowing Brian to take time t ...more
Gus
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, it was an amazing book. I recommend to anyone who hasn't read it. It is a Caudill nominee, and one of the bast, too
Amy
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amy by: Ginnie
A really heartwarming, well-developed story about a boy raised with his Mom in prison. Very cute and yet it never downplays real emotions. It also never gets too intense for middle school readers which I liked. (It very easily might have) A really solid read! Thank you, Ginnie!
Ms. Yingling
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wndb
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Perry and his mother, Jessica, have a routine worked out at their home in the Blue River Co-ed Correctional Facility, where Perry has lived since his birth. Perry gets to do the morning wake up call on the intercom, have breakfast with his many friends, and then is driven to school by the warden's niece, who teaches at his new middle school. His good friend Zoey Samuels is there, and while there are a few boys who give him a hard time about where he lives
Brindi Michele
There is absolutely no way I would put this book into the hands of children with incarcerated parents. And this makes me very, very sad and extremely disappointed. One in 28 school-aged children have a parent in the prison system, a fact acknowledged in the author's note, and yet they won't be able to relate to hardly anything in this book. It should be labeled as fantasy. And I know there would be no way a child could be raised in a low-security prison, (my husband was a deputy in the jail divi ...more
Holly
We chose this book as our third staff book club book. What a special story! I loved so many characters - Perry, his mother, the warden, Big Ed, Mrs. Samuels, Zoey, Miss Maya, and even Brian. Connor explores home and family through a correctional facility where Perry has been allowed to grow up as close to his mother as possible, fostered by Warden Daugherty. This story also explores what it means to pay for one's mistakes, forgiveness, and redemption. The ending was a tear-jerker! I want to pass ...more
Mireille Bregman
Prachtig verhaal over het gevangenisleven, vriendschap/familie en het hebben van een thuis. Meer nog is het een verhaal over mensen, hoe zij kunnen veranderen, ook al zitten ze "binnen de poort".

De 11-jarige Perry is opgegroeid in de Blue Rivergevangenis in Surprise, Nebraska. Zijn moeder zit daar een straf van 15 jaar uit. Hij wordt plots door een ijverige OvJ in diens huis gehaald "want een gevangenis is geen huis voor een kind". Perry gaat naar de brugklas (in de VS zijn ze jaar eerder dan N
Heather Taake
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really sweet story. I enjoyed it immensely.
Amy
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two sentence summary: Engaging story about a boy somewhat unlawfully raised in a prison who is found out and then sent to live with the DA who is delaying his mother's parole hearing. Think of a cross between One For the Murphys and Orange is the New Black.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this story is how Leslie Connor portrays the primary villain, District Attorney Thomas VanLeer. VanLeer is evil, but his type of evil is so evil not even he is aware of just how evil he is. VanLeer is a liar and a
Destinee Sutton
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've had lots of success booktalking this one at schools. The kids are super interested to find out why Perry lives in a prison, and even more why he LIKES it and is upset when he moves into a normal house.

My favorite part of this book was the description of the mindset one develops in prison. Big Ed's rules and tips for serving time are also applicable to life on the outside and I think a big part of what makes Perry such a good person.

Speaking of Perry being a good person, my big criticism o
Angela
May 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-the-middle
One in twenty-eight school-aged children have a parent in the prison system. This fact is acknowledged by Leslie Connors in her author's note, and one reason I chose to read this book. Working with a number of young people with incarcerated parents, I want to be able to recommend books that reflect this reality. This pick, though, was lacking. I did not find Jessica's (Perry's mother's) "crime" believable, and Perry is almost too perfect of a kid. The story drags in portions. For students who ha ...more
Deyanne
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deyanne by: Liza
Engaging and unique, this book had such incredible potential. Since when have you read an elementary school novel where the protagonist was raised in a minimum-security facility? I started out loving the book, laughing out loud and thinking, "Can't wait to share this." By the end I was clicking off stars if you will for just too much. There was just too much coincidence. There was just too much radical change and too many of the same stories of "innocence". The penal system didn't come out looki ...more
Mayla
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting to read... But though I enjoyed it this book was rather slow in some parts and easy to predict. I gave it 4 stars because it was different because I had never read a book like it before.
Snazzy Reads
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so, so, so, so, SO good! And it made me so happy! I'm calling it early. I think this is going to be one of my favorite books I read this month.
Jillian Neyhart
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story! Although I thought it was going to be cheesy, it really ended up being one of my favorites. Perry Cook has grown up in a minimum security prison with his mom, who is an inmate. This book had a little bit of mystery added to the drama, which kept me interested until the very end. Great read!
Nancy
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chb-arc
Rarely is this situation addressed in this way in literature, but for this 9-13 age group this may be uniquely appropriate. I don't recount the plot since that is summarized above.

While I (as an ex-children's librarian) enjoyed reading it, it had such a 'fairy tale' veneer to it that its purpose seemed weakened. That's not unusual for children's books, but the subject matter puts a different light on it since this addresses a societal situation. In her Acknowledgments, Leslie Connor cites the h
Patty
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing

What it's all about...

Perry T. Cook has lived in a minimum security prison with his mom ever since he was born. He is exceptionally happy. His bedroom is next to the warden's office and he has incredible relationships with many of the inmates. The warden's niece takes him to school, he has little jobs at the prison, he is smart and well adjusted. He and his mom look forward to the day when she will be paroled and they will have a house of their own. And then...a wrench is thrown into Perry's lov
Megan  Fox
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book! While the premise of the story is highly unlikely, the author took a "what if" approach and told a great story. Good writing, fleshed out (and believable) main characters. I'm going to have to try another book by Leslie Connor.
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every so often I read a book that really impacts me. I wasn't expecting it from a J Fiction book but I was completely blown away! What a beautiful, deeply moving read. I highly recommend it!
Mrs. Krajewski
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perry T. Cook loves Blue River. He wakes everyone up with his morning "all rise" announcements, he goes to school, and then returns in the evening. Blue River is home to him and his mother. Blue River is also a prison. Perry's life has always been normal to him though, and he shares all that he loves about it to his best friend at school, Zoey Samuels. Soon, however, Perry's happy life is completely uprooted when he is taken from Blue River and placed in foster care. After that, Perry is determi ...more
Libby May
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, I really enjoyed this one! It showed how people have made mistakes before, but with help even bad people aren't always bad underneath! From Perry's point of view, the way he knew each "resident" and their stories. The Characters were all so unique and a blast. The shock of Mr. Vanleer and Jessica's history. It was all woven together so well I was happy to be in Perry's world for a little while.

And Perry's wit. That was awesome.
Jodi Ellis
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book about what family means, and how home is where your heart is.
Rory
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Caleb S
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY enjoyed this book, I couldn't stop reading it! I really liked the main character, Perry
Samantha Ania
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I loved this. Perry is such an endearing narrator and you find yourself rooting for him and his friends so hard. I liked that the "villain" wasn't fully a villain, you could understand his (incredibly frustrating) actions. I loved all the different arcs and if I had one complaint it would be that I wanted more time with Perry before he's pulled from Blue River.
Zach E
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an overall a very enjoyable read and was shockingly amazing. I had strong feelings of excitement and sadness at every turn. It was odd on how nice and pleasant the inmates were, but I feel like such a positive prison and great warden this flaw was a minor one. I would like to know what Perry and Jessica did after the book, but I still enjoy it without the more informational end. I would recommend this to anyone with a basic understanding of literature.
KMS Gr6 Library: All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook 1 1 Sep 17, 2017 11:17AM
  • Soar
  • Death by Toilet Paper
  • The Seventh Most Important Thing
  • Circa Now
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • Counting Thyme
  • The Great Good Summer
  • Save Me a Seat
  • The Last Boy at St. Edith's
  • A Handful of Stars
  • Maybe a Fox
  • Wish Girl
From the author's website:

My life began suddenly (you can even ask my mother) in an antique farmhouse outside of Cleveland, Ohio. I was born right on the family room floor ~ no time to get to the hospital! I swear, I’ve been in a hurry ever since.

When I was in fourth grade we moved to a neighborhood full of kids outside of Schenectady, New York. My Dad worked for a company that sold some of the fi
More about Leslie Connor

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)