Start by marking “The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)

The Orphan Queen

(The Orphan Queen #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  12,800 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews
Wilhelmina has a hundred identities.

She is a princess. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.

She is a spy. Wil and her best friend, Melanie,
Published April 5th 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Orphan Queen, please sign up.
Elizabeth Nope, its a duology! The Orphan Queen is book one and The Mirror King (coming out next year) is the second and final book

·  12,800 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews

Sasha Alsberg
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even thought it was predictable, it was still a great read.
I NEED THE NEXT BOOK!
4/5 stars
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
In 1211, Genghis Khan's tiny army of 2,000 was vastly outnumbered by the Jin army, 500,000 strong. The week before the battle, the entire Jin army got food poisoning (they were trying to do a cleanse before the big day by eating more probiotics, as it turned out, not all things were meant to be fermented, least of all, pork). Suffering from bouts of severe diarrhea, the Jin army fled (leaving behind unspeakable trails of...unmentionable things), resulting in a decisive victory for Khan(h...just ...more
Lola
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
… Is that it? Is that all this book had to deliver? I am feeling more than underwhelmed by The Orphan Queen right now.

It was a complete disappointment. From start to finish. As a matter of fact, the only thing I found myself appreciating was the writing. Pretty and well fit to a fantasy story, it might have been the only thing that kept me on reading.

There was nothing I actually ‘‘hated’’ but it is rare for me to ‘‘hate’’ something inside a book, unless a character, scene, relationship, world-bu
Emily May
How many YA fantasy novels have you read?

Because I think your enjoyment of The Orphan Queen depends on your answer. This book is not terrible, it is just completely unremarkable. It contains familiar elements that you may recognize from other YA fantasy-lite series - Throne of Glass, Shadow and Bone and the more recent Red Queen, to name but a few.

Our protagonist is Wilhelmina, the former heir to the throne of her homeland. However, her kingdom was conquered and now she is an Osprey - a kind of
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

There are a lot of things wrong with this book. A lot, a lot. Probably more than five. I'll make a list later, but I want it to be clear that ORPHAN QUEEN is a seriously flawed example of YA fantasy . . . Before I tell you that I kind of liked it anyway.

*shrugs awkwardly*

THE HEART WANTS WHAT THE HEART WANTS.

Issues:

1. Plot twists not so twisty. And WORSE, Wil (short for Wilhelmina which is a-whole-nother problem) was shocked by them when they played out.

If it had been a s
Jodi Meadows
Jun 17, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
This is a book I wrote. Obviously I like it. I hope you do too.

More about the cover.

For every thousand adds to Goodreads, I'm sharing a teaser.

2k teaser: http://instagram.com/p/pj78MrTRLj/

7k teaser: http://instagram.com/p/vPwrniTRFf/

8k teaser: http://instagram.com/p/v2Z7NezRLN/

9k teaser: http://instagram.com/p/xGFlo
Cait • A Page with a View
I am SO happy I randomly decided to reread this! I liked it a lot several years ago, but now it's one of my favorite YA fantasy books. Maybe knowing Black Knife's identity this time through made it even better? The web of alter identities is pretty fun.

It's hard to convey the awesomeness of the plot without revealing that main spoiler, so basically... Wilhelmina is the missing princess of a kingdom that's now occupied by an invading neighboring kingdom. She's an orphan and has been leading a gro
Gillian Berry
I'M SORRY BUT ARE YOU LEGALLY ALLOWED TO END A BOOK LIKE THAT
C.G. Drews
aHHHHHHH OKAY. CLIFFHANGER GOT ME. The first 60% had me, well, intrigued but not won over. Then the ending???? The cliffhanger??? THE CHARACTERS???? MY FEELS??????? (Okay, but my feels are entirely fractured, THANKS FOR NOTHING, BOOK.)

FYI: Make sure you have The Mirror King on hand to read immediately. YOU'LL THANK ME, I SWEAR.)

I'm a gargantuan rabid fantasy fan. I would eat it by the bucket load, probably. While The Orphan Queen wasn't the best TOLD story; it had a ton of awesomely unique eleme
Kassidy
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun and captivating read!
Alyssa
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-releases
Dang. I've had this book added on my TBR list since June 17, 2013. WOW.

Anyway. HOLY GUACAMOLE. 4.5 stars? The ending makes the rating take a hit, because I hate cliffhanger-like endings. BUT OMG HOW CAN I POSSIBLY WAIT UNTIL 2016 FOR BOOK TWO?! :O

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
Book One of The Orphan Queen series
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: March 10, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Wi
Katerina
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Guess who stayed up all night reading The Orphan Queen and now looks like a mutant zombie that feeds on coffee!

“I was Julianna,a general,and occassionally the orphaned Princess of Aecor.I was anyone I needed to be.”

Being the heir of a conquered kingdom,Wilhelmina will do anything to free her people and avenge her family.She knows how to fight,to steal,to forge,to spy and now she has to accomplish the most dangerous task of all;impersonate a duchess and gather intelligence on her enemy's wher
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
here's my review the first time I read this book :
26th November 2015 - 3rd Desember 2015
5 Stars
(view spoiler)
Mizuki
Fantasy! Magic! A lost Queen and her pals try to reclaim their kingdom! Wraiths! Court's politics! Forbidden Love! Pretty book cover! What can go wrong!?

Well, everything, almost everything.

1.5 stars. I'm breathing fire and brimstone after reading the whole book.

(1) The heroine and her friend's plan to reclaim their kingdom is *RUBBISH*, plain and simple

If you think the rebels in Red Queen and The Young Elites are bad, just wait till you see what the heroine and her friends had done!

Some 19 orpha
Andreea Pop
This beauty of a book, called The Orphan Queen, stole my heart really easily, despite its numerous flaws.

I won't lie, the beginning was far from impressive, because probably this book's biggest flaw was its predictability. I saw plot twists from miles away, but what saved the novel from my putting it down was actually the unraveling of said plot twists. It was entertaining and satisfying and done in a clever manner.

Another aspect that had me cringing was the originality. In terms of character
Jenna Major
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young fantasy lovers (older or more high fantasy lovers may not like it due to it's flaws)
For a book with so many mixed reviews, I really liked it!!

Wil' short for Wilhelmina is a Princess of a kingdom conquered by the Indigo Kingdom. Orphaned, she and the other children of deceased nobles have banded together. They have spent the last 10 years training, stealing and surviving in the Indigo Kingdom. They are planning to take her kingdom back.

Although Wil' has a secret of her own. Magic has been outlawed because of an overwhelming magical mist that is taking over the world called 'w
Mandy
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Review

I'm still reeling. I stayed up way way late last night, I'm talking 4 hours later than I usually do, because I couldn't go to bed without finishing this book. Let's just say that by the time I finally went to bed, some people where just waking up for work. Yeah. But, it was worth it. Even though the story and characters and ending infiltrated my dreams.

The story pick up in the middle of a robbery, and the story never stops from there. Chock full of spy missions, vigilantism, betrayal
Katerina Kondrenko
4 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Carnival Youth - Never Have Enough
Ian Dolamore - Vigilante
Raz Ohara and The Odd Orchestra – Kisses

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: the wraith, magic, rebels
Fail: predictability and uneven writing
WOW: the main concept
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
“May
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
This is some of the greatest shit I’ve ever read
"Who are you?"
"Well who are you?"
"You can call me *flips hair* the Black knife"
"But you're holding a sword...?"
"Well umm ya know sometimes i throw knifes, just tell me your name!"
"Take off the mask and then we can discuss identities"
"Fine you can be Nameless girl"
"Okay....imma go rob people now"
*Nameless girl sneaks into palace using fake identity*
"Hello i am boring prince i care about nothing but mememe, bye"
"Ughhh grrr anger of the past, i hat
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I did not expect to like this one... but I was actually really pleasantly surprised. I went into it with low expectations based on friends ratings - but I actually rather enjoyed myself reading it.

I thought about landing this around 3-3.5 stars but when I think back.. I was pretty giddy during many scenes and I really enjoyed myself. Definitely had some nice feels. This was a mashup between "Ruined" by Amy Tintera and "Snow Like Ashes" by Sara Raasch.

For those of you who are interested.. let m
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Me: I'm just gonna see and read the first few chapters to see what's the fuss is all about.

*10 minutes later.

I have been trudging reading books lately and I'm so happy The Orphan Queen didn't disappoint. I genuinely adore this book. I need to collect my thoughts and feelings. Mini review to come.
Norah Una Sumner
This definitely has a potential and I've heard that the sequel is better which makes me very happy!

I liked this story and the characters. Yes, the plot twist was totally predictable but it was still fun. I liked Jodi's writing style as well. So, in overall, this was quite fun and interesting and I am definitely giving sequel a chance. I would love to see what happens next even though the last 10% of the book were a bit confusing and at times hard to follow. We shall see.
Sydney
Jun 18, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-release
I'm intrigued with this book. I have a mixed vibe on Meadow's book but with that kind of descriptions?

Valerie Cole
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clan-macleod
Author friend perks: reading the book 2 years before it hits shelves.

Game of Thrones meets Batman = epic Jodi Meadows.
Sophie
My god, this book was utter perfection! Ever since ARC reviews began to appear in the blogosphere there has been a ton of hype surrounding this book, hype that was not misplaced. For some reason, I was still hesitant to read it. Perhaps I thought the hype would ruin the reading experience, or something like that. However, this was not the case at all.

In The Orphan Queen, we follow our heroine, Wil, as she tries to infiltrate the main palace of the Indigo Kingdom, whom had conquered her kingdom o
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

Please note: this is a review of the sample offered on Edelweiss, which was about one-third of the total book (Part 1), and is not a review of the complete book.

SUMMARY

Wilhemenia is the orphaned queen of a conquered kingdom, a girl disguised as a refugee duchess in an enemy kingdom helping to free her enslaved people and their right to use magic even though other kingdoms believe wraith, a dangerous by-product of magic, is slowly destro

Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
DNFed around 57%.

I tried to hold on as long as I could but I'm totally unable to finish this one.
I'm sure it's an okay book if you haven't already read a fuckton of fantasy YA about a magical princess/queen in hiding, planning to recapture her realm from the Big Bad Usurper (who's probably not that bad, because our MC doesn't know shit about what happened after all).
I tried to care. I tried very hard. But I didn't.

Wil, our MC, is very inconstant. I don't understand wat the author tried to do wit
Elena
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read! While I found the twist to be pretty obvious, I have to say: THAT CLIFFHANGER ! Can't wait to see how this continues in book 2!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

When I first started this book, I couldn't get into it, it was slow, or maybe it was just my reading slump. Who knows, at any rate after I got back into reading it I enjoyed it. After a bit it picks up and is a really good story.

Wilhemina (Wil) is the orphan queen of Aecor. Her parents were killed many years ago during the 'One Night War' Wil and a bunch of other kids were taken to an orphanage. The Aecor kingdom is now watched over by some jerk. Anyway, a
  • When I Wake
  • The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • The Cage (The Cage, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise, #1)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea, #1)
  • Princess of Thorns
I like books. Reading them, writing, and admiring them as my bookshelves begin to bow.

Yes, I will accept your friend request. I will probably not reply to private messages, though. If you want me to respond, please send an email. jodi.meadows at gmail dot com

Why are my ratings either five stars or none? I give five stars to books I'm enthusiastic about and think everyone should read. A lack o

The Orphan Queen (2 books)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
Try to be polite."
"I'm always polite."
"You're always eyeing people's valuables. That's hardly polite.”
39 likes
“The pain of what happened – it won’t last eternity.”
A lie. I knew very well how pain could last, and fester, and shape a person in unnameable ways.”
38 likes