Start by marking “Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)

Rise of the Ragged Clover

(The Luck Uglies #3)

The epic final battle between the Luck Uglies and the Fork-Tongue Charmers comes to Rye’s doorstep in this exhilarating conclusion to the critically acclaimed Luck Uglies series.

Against all odds, Rye manages to rescue her father, the High Chieftain of the Luck Uglies, from the treacherous Fork-Tongue Charmers. But when she travels back home to Drowning to help him with his
Published March 1st 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Ragged Clover, please sign up.
Paul Durham Thanks for your question! It is the same book. It's titled The Last Reckoning outside of the United States. Aside from that they are identical except…moreThanks for your question! It is the same book. It's titled The Last Reckoning outside of the United States. Aside from that they are identical except for the cover and interior illustrations.(less)

Paul Durham
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yes, I'm biased. So disregard this review along with one of the one-star rated reviews posted before I even finished writing the book. :)
Emilia
Did you ever find yourself so caught up in a book and so in love with a set of characters that you just couldn't let it go, even when the book/series ended? That's me after finishing this book. I loved it. I loved the spitfire main (female, btw!) character, I loved her unconventional but very close knit family and best friends, I loved her village and its culture, I loved the authenticity of the ruler and government and the problems they faced, I loved the "monsters" and how they couldn't be ste ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
To some, the Luck Uglies are criminals and villains. To others, they are heroes who show up just when you need them most. The Luck Uglies are a strong group headed by Harmless, the High Chieftain. That was true for a while. Now the group is splintered, with some disgruntled Luck Uglies joining forces as the Fork-Tongue Charmers. They are easy to spot. Ask any Luck Ugly to open his mouth and stick out his tongue. If it splits like a snake’s tongue, well, you have a Luck Ugly unhappy with the stat ...more
Erin Petti
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this world, and I've adored all 3 books. Highly recommended for an entirely fresh-feeling, immersive, gorgeous adventure. Love, love, love The Luck Uglies!
C.J. Milbrandt
The final installment in the Luck Uglies trilogy, which now ranks as one of my favorite MG series. Excellent storytelling. An exciting culmination.
Ann Cooksey
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I would recommend for fans of Robin McKinley's "The Blue Sword" and Megan Whalen Turner's "The Thief" books.
Shanshad Whelan
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, mg, series
What’s it like to see yourself as the protagonist of the story? I remember when I first cracked the cover on Tamora Pierce’s Alanna the First Adventure and plunged into a sword and sorcery tale where a girl disguised herself as a boy to become the hero of the story. The instant joy at finding characters that could be more than sidekicks and healers. More than damsels for rescuing. Paul Durham’s The Luck Uglies evokes that fierce joy in me, well over three decades later.

It’s still fairly difficul
Dane Cobain
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has an interesting story behind it, at least in terms of how I came to read it. I was sent the first two books in this trilogy by the publisher, but I found this third book in a charity shop and just knew that I had to have it. Of course, it’s also difficult to go into the plot without revealing spoilers, purely because of its position in the trilogy. Still, I’ll do my best.

The Last Reckoning follows the triumphant culmination in a conflict that’s been growing since the first book in t
H.L. Stephens
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So enjoy the final chapter in the Luck Ugly trilogy. I don't want to spoil anything for this who have not read it yet but I really enjoyed the final adventure.
Mark Buxton
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
My name is Rye, and the Fork-Tongue Charmers and Bog Noblins are making the woods more and more dangerous. Once rarely seen, the Bog Noblins are becoming especially bold, as they ravage villages during the night. I finally found my father, leader of the Luck Uglies, but someone else is challenging him to become chieftan. This divide may explain the growing boldness of the Bog Noblins and may lead to the destruction of Drowning. To complicate matters, the town orphans are stuck in the middle. My ...more
Hannah Belyea
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Rye, Abby and Lottie have been searching for Harmless months after he led the Fork-Tongue Charmers away - but even if they do find him, and he does challenge Slinister for Chieftain position amongst the Luck Uglies, will the Drowning be able to survive the outcome, especially when the Nob Goblins begin to rise?! Durham concludes this exciting trilogy with a fast-paced and exhilarating adventure that will surprise fans of all ages. Rye and her friends may have to do what they do best to save the ...more
Becca
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner

My only complaint about this book is that it appears to be the last one! Perhaps Mr. Durham is hard at work on another tumultuous tale as I speak? I feel certain that Rye O'Chanter has many more adventures tucked inside her oversized boots... and when those run out, Lottie can take over!!
Sam Tanner
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hedzer
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017
4.5 for the trilogy! it had everything I love in a good story.
The covers were great, loved the maps and illustrations, fantastic heroes and villains, and the world of the luck uglies was original and fun. Looking forward to reading more stories by Paul durham 👍
Claire
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great conclusion to the series!!
Holli
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo. Original, creative, and well written. My husband and I read this in one day as part of a 24 hour readathon. It was an excellent choice.
Jz2gs6
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
sorry to see the end of the is series
Poppy
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Henrieke
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is a solid 4+ for me. The story, characters and settings are very enjoyable, and the covers, maps and illustrations are beautiful!
Dan
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Boo-ya.

I just read all three books in The Luck Uglies series.

I wish I had a bell to ring.

Or a standing ovation to give.

Maybe just start cheering until I lose my voice?

I would...but that'd be awkward.

I'll have to settle for a book review.

Middle-grade is so hard to write for. It has to be accessible for children who want to be thrilled, but aren't ready to be thrilled. Usually, this means middle-grade books are dumbed down s
Elizabeth Spencer
The Rise of the Ragged Clover is the third and last book in the Luck Uglies MG fantasy series. Rye returns to Village Drowning in order to discover how to call all the Luck Uglies to the final Reckoning between her father and the Fork-Tongue Charmers. And I... didn't really love it.

The beginning is rough. Super rough. "Did I miss a book in the series?" kinda rough. The book doesn't remind you why the characters are here or what the stakes are. There's even a new character that everyone treats li
Zoe Wynns
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this epic conclusion to the series!
Samantha
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
In the third and final book of the Luck Uglies series, Rye is locked right in the cross between the Luck Uglies and the Fork-Tongue Charmers as she fights to rescue her father. While venturing back to Drowning to help him, she finds her village full of Bog Noblins and fear. With most of the adults fighting, it’s up to her and her friends to save the village.

Paul Durham finishes the Luck Uglies series with a perfectly executed plot and breathless pacing leading up to the big climax. The plot tw
April
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Wow. This was such a good series. Right up until the end

******multiple spoiler alert******

where the solution to the problem was not only a disaster (literally) but didn't actually make logical sense. And that doesn't even cover how the disaster was started - not all liquids are changed when they come into contact with water, but enough are that diluting two in running water and hoping they'd mix and react properly later sounds nothing like the kind of science I'm familiar with. Ok, sure, I'm no
Devon
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like the series, and the final book is no exception. The book is for younger readers, and the pace is really quick because of that (I read it in 4 hours or so). Normally books for young readers can be a little annoying for me because I feel like the stakes aren't high enough, but the multiple different threats in this one more than solved that problem.

I wasn't wholly satisfied with the ending, and I would be happy to read another handful of these books, but overall I had a lot of fun w
Stacy
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great conclusion to the series. This is a wonderful clean, exciting, adventurous book for young readers. In fact, I am putting the series on my list of books to read out loud with David. There were bittersweet aspects about the ending. Annis warns about a sacrifice, so we know it's coming, but it is still hard to bear when it arrives...not that I can think of anyone I would rather sacrifice, but it still tugs at the heartstrings.
mandyfujita
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Sinister Barley rules the Fork-Tongued Charmers and wants to rule the Luck Uglies by killing the chieftain, Harmless O'Chanter. Sinister has control over one House of Long chance and wants to crush the rest of the noblessings one by one.
Ripley O'Chanter and her two friends, Quinn and Folly try to save their declining town, Drowning, by finding the instructions of the Reckoning in "Tam's Tome".
Julie
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful third book in the trilogy! So many pieces came together from each of the books--Things that I didn't even know I needed resolution to came together. The characters were just as lovely as before and I felt like the setting really came to life in this story. It was perfect ending, but I do still wish there were more stories!
Kurtis
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the last book to this series. It was a great series full of fighting, magic, and friendships. I really liked the plot and how the final book tied everything together. This book is one of my favorite books and I will probably read it again. It is a amazing book for anyone who likes mystery, magic, or adventure. I would highly recommend it to other readers.
Katie
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, fiction
This was a very fun ending to the Luck Uglies trilogy. Rye is an amazing hero and you will be rooting for her until the end! I would highly recommend this series to any young readers who are interested in books like Harry Potter.

• The Dyerville Tales
  • Cleo (Cleo #1)
  • My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 1
  • A Nearer Moon
  • The Terror of the Southlands (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #2)
  • Ennara and the Fallen Druid (Ennara, #1)
  • The Hostage Prince (The Seelie Wars, #1)
  • What I Came to Tell You
  • The Scavengers
  • The Pillars of Ponderay (The Balance Keepers, #2)
  • The Secrets of Aunt Norah's House
  • Harry Potter Colouring Book #3 Magical Places & Characters
  • Westley and the Witches (Tales from the Other Side of Real #3)
  • The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures, #3)
  • The Buttersmiths' Gold (Evertaster, #2)
  • The Far Dawn (The Atlanteans, #3)
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • Blackheart's Legacy (The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair, #1)
Paul Durham was raised in Massachusetts and attended college and law school in Boston. He now lives in New Hampshire with his wife, two daughters, and an enormous, bushy creature the local animal shelter identified as a cat. He writes in an abandoned chicken coop at the edge of a swamp and keeps a tiny porcelain frog in his pocket for good luck.

The Luck Uglies (3 books)
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
  • Fork-Tongue Charmers (The Luck Uglies, #2)
“All I have sought is to unlock every doorway I could for you, then let you step through the one you see fit.” Rye blinked her wide eyes slowly. “But what if I don’t know which one to step through?” she asked. Harmless just smiled before answering. “Sometimes, discovering the wrong ones is as valuable as finding the right.” 0 likes