Start by marking “Silly Wonderful You” as Want to Read:
Silly Wonderful You

Silly Wonderful You

From the bestselling author of Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site, Sherri Duskey Rinker, and the award-winning creator of Me . . . Jane and The Skunk, Patrick McDonnell, comes this funny and tender love letter from a parent to her child.

Before YOU came along, so many things were different! But now there's a giggly baby, a house full of adventures and toys, a million l
Published January 5th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Silly Wonderful You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silly Wonderful You

Julie
This book is really sweet; I recognized right away the artwork of Patrick McDonnell, famous for drawing the comic strip MUTTS. The story, by Sherri Duskey Rinker, is fairly unique among picture books I've read: scenes of childhood told from the perspective of the exhausted mother, who had no idea how life would change once "silly wonderful you" came along. So many adorable details - the scrunched-up face of rejection as mom applies the washcloth, stepping on "sharp little blocks that go right th ...more
Katie Parker
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like her previous bestseller, Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site, Rinker perfectly captures the seemingly boundless energy of early childhood. Written as a heartfelt letter from a parent to her child, each individual page depicts an everyday mommy-and-child moment. From a “bright-eyed alarm clock” waking her sleeping mommy to a child typhoon drenching the bathroom as her mother gives her a bath, this book is what it means to be a parent.

The epitome of everyday parenting, Silly Wonderful You
Emily McKnight
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
-Illustrations: pen, brush, and ink

Summary: This is the story of a mother and her life after having a child. She tells her daughter of all they ways she made her life better.

Personal Response: This is a perfect mother daughter story time book. It is so sweet and shows how much a mother can love a child, letting her daughter know the despite her messes and tantrums, she is the reason all her dreams came true.
Mary Ann
Love the illustrations! But I wonder if this is written more for adults than kids.
Lindsey
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect read aloud for a single mom with a little girl. I could just see the heart of my seven year old filling as I read the words to her.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime, November 8th
Theme: Miss Tina's new favorites
Kaiana B
This book is PRECIOUS. It is a letter from a parent to their child about how much their life has changed since they came into this world. It is a book that is filled with love and tons of adorable, touching illustrations created using pen, brush, and ink. I am not sure if the book would be very appropriate for a classroom setting except if maybe the class was doing some sort of project for a mothers or fathers day? I think in general, this book would have the best impact if shared between a pare ...more
Gwen Ayler
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like that it starts with the not so great things, like being loud and grumpy (and a tiny bit whiny) but then moves on to all the great things a little one can bring. Definitely one I want to reread to my daughter when she gets a bit older. Great one for moms to read.
Deena Abutaha
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! It was so beautiful and sweet, it brought tears to my eyes.
Susan Smith
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations. The little girl looks a lot like Mooch in some of the situations she is in.
Hannah
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-we-own
Sweet book about the joy of Motherhood!
Kelly
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it. I read it to my 3-month-old grandson and it's one of those books that a parent will enjoy as well as the child.
Denise
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Describes life with my children perfectly. I'm not crazy about the illustrations- a bit too muted maybe. It's not a book that caught my eye but it's a beautiful book
Stephanie
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
pure sweetness! adorable illustrations by patrick McDonnell! I love it a perfect read aloud to babies, and toddlers!
Margaret Chind
Cute illustrations and a perfect message.
Baby Bookworm
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Hello friends, and happy Mother’s Day! In honor of the occasion, we read a favorite from our own library: Silly Wonderful You, written by Sherri Duskey Rinker and illustrated by Patrick McDonnell. It’s an adorable celebration of moms and their little ones, and the joys, frustrations, and incomparable rewards of motherhood.

As narrator, a mother addresses her young toddler about how much life has
Madison
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book! So good. Would make a great gift to any new moms.

An Illinois Reads Book : Birth -4
Heather
Picture book

This is a fun book to have in the classroom for a read aloud or for independent reading. It is a good book to see that we all are unique individuals. It is not one of my favorite books I have read, but it would be fun to have.
Brielle McKenna
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng350
Silly Wonderful You is all about the relationship between a mother and her daughter! In rhyming text, Rinker comically illustrates how crazy, messy, and silly children can be! In several ways, the young girls mother describes the character traits of her silly wonderful daughter. In the end, the mother realized that although her daughter can be crazy some of the time, she is also the most precious little thing. I would recommend this book to new mothers and even children who think they get in tro ...more
Chelsea
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate how this book shows the special bond between a mother and a daughter. This book shows that no matter how crazy or dirty or silly or tiring it may be, a daughter is the best thing that can happen to a mother. I believe that children listening to, or reading, this book will be able to relate to it; as will moms! I also appreciated how the wonderful illustrations complemented the story line so well; the illustrations were not overwhelming, but definitely got the message across (so that ...more
Haley
Mar 07, 2016 added it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a sweet story about how the world changed when this mother’s child was born. Eating habits, sleeping routines, and the aspects of daily life were all altered when the young child was born.
This book was a quick read and a cute little story. I enjoyed it and the idea that change isn’t always a bad thing.
The author uses excellent verbs to describe all these changes so I think the book would be a great tool when teaching verbs and synonyms.
Earl
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was by the same author of Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site (which although I've recommended a lot haven't actually read). A cute read of how a child has changed a parent's life for the better- if not always for the easiest. The only problem there may be with this book is that it's very gender specific.
Samantha
Written as letter of love from parent to child, this book celebrates all of the best ways in which having a child changes an adult's life forever. The vocabulary used is playful and great for reading aloud. The pen and ink illustrations highlight all of the humor of the text making this a perfect gift book for new parents.

PreK-2.
Romelle
A sweet story that reads like a love letter from parent to child about how life has changed "since there was you." Love the fun poetic language. Makes a great gift for new parents to read to their child. It will make them feel LOVED.
Sandra Guerfi
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A perfect little book to share with a young one about what makes them so unique and special. Great for growing with and especially one on one time. Illustrations are bright and cheerful. Makes a great gift for a first library.
Jo
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text and darling illustrations makes for a fun book about how much life changes when a little one is on the scene. I'm thinking parents will get a real kick out of reading this to their kiddos. [And relate to it on many levels!]
Miss Sarah
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: babies
a cute book about all the joy a baby/toddler had brought into a parents life along with all the mess, worry and tiredness. Goes through many activities in a day. Simple and sweet. A little long but the words are simple enough for any age group. I liked the pictures too.
Mary Lee
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby, picture-book, 2016
I would like this book better if there were a variety of babies and a variety of parents. How about some characters of color and some two mommy or two daddy families?

Still and all, this would make a fun baby shower gift!
Ashley
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so precious. I want to buy this for every baby shower in my future. There's enough copies of "Guess How Much I Love You" in the world.
Margaux
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I just teared up. DAMN YOU, PATRICK MCDONNELL for making such adorably simple illustrations that cut through my crusty exterior ant tell sweet innocent stories!

• All We Know
  • Papá and Me
  • Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy
  • Fancy Nancy: Budding Ballerina
  • Snoozefest
Sherri has returned to her passion of writing to indulge her own children's passions. A graphic designer, she lives in Chicago with her photographer husband, a cockapoo named Quincy, several fish, a few hermit crabs, an ever-changing array of insects in jars, toys in every corner, and two energetic and inquisitive young boys: one fascinated by bugs and magic and another obsessed with trucks and tr ...more