Start by marking “Frankencrayon” as Want to Read:
Frankencrayon

Frankencrayon

This picture book has been canceled.

Wait.

How can we be on the front flap of a canceled book?

Good question.
Published January 26th 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Frankencrayon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankencrayon

Amy
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Cute ending but very difficult to follow. What I thought would be an ideal book for my Kindergarteners, seems to have the potential of just confusing them. Expected more...didn't get it.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This is one book that you would WANT you children to scribble in (there is a lot of scribbling inside) so that you can keep it as a treasured memento of Halloweens past!
Victoria
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm diggin' all these crayon picture book stories. Probably some psychological flashback to childhood memories of happy coloring? Nah, probably something more nefarious or demented.

Regardless, this is just plain fun and I'm sure kids will love the silliness. It starts with the bold declaration that the book has been canceled, find something else to read. But then Green declares, "Tell them about the scribble..." and the fun begins.

Clever, colorful. I so wish I could write my review in crayon..
Jeimy
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Michael Hall’s book and this one is as hilarious and the rest of his books. The book was cancelled because of a scribble. When the crayons try to help, things spiral out of control.
Margaret Chind

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama. Frankencrayon has made his day!
Frankencrayon told by Michael Hall #bookreview #childrensbooks @HarperChildrens

When I see a new book from Michael Hall, I know a few things. I know that is going to be ridiculously silly and fun and full on educational. He definitely does not disappoint with his latest January 2016 release in Frankencrayon. These are the type of books that I love to give my preschool and primary grade level kiddos. I love to see their imaginations spark as they think, hmm, maybe I can do something like this! I trul
Mark Baker
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, picture-book
The crayon lead production of Frankenstein is all ready to go until the giant squiggle appears in the sky. Can they solve the problem, or will they have to cancel this book before we even get a chance to read it?

This is a delightfully funny picture book that parents will definitely appreciate. It breaks the fourth wall as the crayons tell us the story of why they can’t tell us the story of Frankenstein. After things are resolved, we get a couple of fun and appropriate morals that don’t lecture u
Nancy Kotkin
Not the brilliance of Red: A Crayon's Story, but this interactive picture book still works on a number of levels - humorous, educational, and emotional. Like all Michael Hall's picture books, it is layered and can appeal to a variety of age groups. I especially appreciate the addition of the pencil as director/narrator in this one. Fun twist ending too. I really hope Michael Hall creates more of these anthropomorphic crayon books.
Magpie67
I'm definitely buying this book for my Halloween collection... It's just that awesome! All the crayon books are worthy to own. So here is a story that suddenly becomes cancelled because of a scribble. What a hoot!

Orange, green and purple are Frankencrayon and there is a cast of crayons playing the scared townspeople and a crew. Also there is the pencil, who is the narrator. I love the imagination!

Super fun ending! A must read for children and adults.
Mary
The crayons are unhappy because their picture book, Frankencrayon, has been cancelled even though the cast is ready with costumes and set. However, when a reader begins reading the book, the story of what happened is told. Much more playful than Hall's The Red Crayon, this is a fun read aloud with a pitch perfect ending.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool-1st grade
A fun play on books and stories, Hall presents the telling of Frankencrayon!!!--Oh, what's that? It's been cancelled? Oh dear. Pencil reveals the mystery behind the book's cancellation including a fun banter between the publisher and Pencil. A delightful turn of a story.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Great Books
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-4
The crayons are back and are ready to tell the story of Frankencrayon. The roles have been cast, the pages are set but the picture book has been cancelled. Someone has scribbled on the page! The story can’t go on! or can it. Reviewer 11
Julie Kirchner
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book to share with students especially around Halloween. Wonderful lesson in sometimes mistakes aren’t so bad after all!
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
a delightful little romp, replete with cleverness. Most notably, a shocking twist of an ending.
Andrew Dearborn
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually really funny!
Sassy
A play is cancelled but some crayon's gather to give you the backstory. A unique concept for storytelling. I would share with with older children who have some sense of humor about them or at least understand the concept of a play. I'm sure they'll value it more than the little people.
Tina
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-sprocket
Totally adorable book with simple, colorful illustrations. My 5 year old loved it.
Beth Anderson
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
It takes a special author to be able to pull off such a crazy, funny, silly idea. First you see a poster for the “Frankencrayon Picture Book Cast and Crew” stamped “Canceled.” Then the comments from the “characters” (various crayons) begin as they beg the yellow pencil to tell the story of what happened with the scribble. Even the “publisher” speaks. The creativity continues throughout and…. [Aaaaaa! Spoiler deleted under threat of a giant scribble!].
The ideas are both simple and complex, encomp
Emily Kelly
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the cutest kid's books that I have read! If my college roommates and I enjoyed this book, a classroom of children is sure to love it!
Amy Oberts
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite what you may have read in the synopsis, this book has *not* (and should not!) be "cancelled." Hall's "Frankencrayon" will have readers of all ages in stitches, as the sassy notes (breaking the "fourth wall"), rich vocabulary, and unique dialogue between crayons/characters combine to build a memorable story.
Bmack
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another crayon book by the author who wrote the book "Red: A Crayon's Story". In the story the crayons are talking about the creation of the book but unfortunately their is a scribble that keeps getting bigger and the book gets cancelled. Well, no one told Frankencrayon (which is actually three crayons dressed up like Frankenstein) , who was on page 22 and they helped the scribble to talk and walk out of the book solving the problem. It is a cute book and kids will like it!
Tasha
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book has been cancelled. The crayons in the story are saddened that the picture book won’t be happening. After all, they have costumes and were going to tell an amazing story. But now that someone is actually reading the cancelled story, they may as well tell the reader exactly why the picture book has ended. It is all because of the horrible scribble that suddenly interrupted the story. They tried to clean the page, but the scribble just got larger and larger. It was out of control ...more
Tasha
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sharon Tyler
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frankencrayon is a picturebook by Michael Hall. However, this book has been cancelled despite the fact that the crayons staring in the story have costumes and were going to tell an fantastic story. However, now that someone is reading the cancelled story, they explain why the picture book has ended. It is all because of the horrible scribble that suddenly interrupted the story. They tried to clean the page, but the scribble just kept getting bigger. It was out of control and everyone was so dist ...more
Eshelley
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Picture Books

Copyright Date: 2016

Estimate of age level of interest: Kindergarten-Grade 2

Estimate of reading level: Grade 2

Brief description: The crayon play is cancelled and ruined by a scribble and a mysterious villain leaves behind notes.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book: Color: "Frankencrayon" is a very colorful story which uses color well to set the mood. The pages
Baby Bookworm
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Baby Bookworm is on the road today, visiting some family, but we still found time to read our book! Today’s pick was Frankencrayon by Michael Hall, a hilariously spooky story about a Frankenstein story gone wrong.

We regret to inform you that this picture book has been cancelled! Too bad, there was a great scary story all planned, until the unthinkable happened: a SCRIBBLE myster
Kathleen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome read by the author of RED (one of my favorites from INSC 571). Michael HAll does a great job teaching without being preachy.
Read this to your favorite kid.
Good gift book.
Meredith
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is pretty cute, and it went better in storytime than I thought it would. Probably because I changed stuff when I read it. Basically, it has one of my least favorite picture book attributes-all dialogue! The narrative never says which character is saying which thing, you just have to figure it out from the pictures. I can totally do that, because I am a grownup lady and a professional book reader, basically, but little kids won't be able to just look at the pictures and know who's saying wha ...more
Jana
This is a fun picture book that draws the reader right into it! From the moment you pick up the book, the inside flap warns you with big, red stamps proclaiming "This Picture Book Has Been Cancelled". A pencil tries to explain what happened. The crayons were all set to stage a production of an exciting play about a scary monster. Just as the play was getting started, a big scribble appeared across the page. One thing led to another and the scribble only got worse. Kids will have fun trying to fi ...more
Ryan
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this story, but no such luck. Some crayons were hired to create a picture book, but it was canceled when a monster drew a scribble. The Frankencrayon helped the scribble get away. Overall the story is confusing, and hard to make sense of. At the same time, it's not nonsense enough to be funny.
Diane
"Don't try to unscribble a scribble by scribbling on it."

The pencil cancels the picture book due to a big scribble, but neglects to tell Frankencrayon, who is waiting on page 22. What will happen when Frankencrayon encounters the monstrous scribble?
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • Mustache Baby Meets His Match
  • How to Read a Story
  • The Children Who Loved Books
  • My Pet Book
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • The Whisper
  • Vincent Paints His House
  • Moo!
  • Snow
  • Mother Bruce
  • What To Do With a Box
  • Bugs in My Hair!
  • Little Tree
  • We're in the Wrong Book!
  • Frances Dean Who Loved to Dance and Dance
  • Help! We Need a Title!

Michael Hall is the author/illustrator of The New York Times bestseller, My Heart Is Like a Zoo, as well as the critically acclaimed Perfect Square, It’s an Orange Aardvark, Red: A Crayon’s Story, and Frankencrayon.

Before becoming a children’s author, Michael was an award-winning graphic designer whose work — i